Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Reviews: 1,417 | Ratings: 5,747
1.35/5  rDev -30.1%

i am not a big fan of lite or light beers as the spelling depends on the beer.
i bought bud light because i have all ready tried everything cheap and this mini mart that wasn't a mikes hard shit or four loko. so at least it's better than that i guess.

its pours thin and yellow

tastes super adjucty, corn and rice and i got a really weird chemical taste like rubber or plastic . gross!

and the big surprise isn't that i didn't like this beer the suprise is that i just had tried natural light and it tastes way superior which is funny natural light is cheaper bud light is actually expensive .

if you must get a light beer i say natural light
or rolling rock but not dos equis that shit is not worth the money , for me i like genesee

im not buyijg bud light ever again the regular budweiser is bad enough but its 5.0% so its it's worth it and it's not that bad .

bud light for frat boys and girls that don't know good beer....

look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Had a pint on tap at Chicago Dogs in Scarborough, Maine, a place with really terrific hot dogs and much better beers than this on tap.

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow with no head at all. Looks very much like urine.

Aroma: Like it's big brother, it sort of smells like used rice cooker water. It's more faint, which I guess is kind of a good thing.

Taste: Gross. Tastes like a regrettable frat party, the halftime bathroom line of a mid-grade sports event, or the floor of an Applebee's. It's basically rice-tasting water.

Mouthfeel: The only thing more watery is water.

Overall: I like that it came served in a Patriots Bud Light glass. I gave this beer a legit shot - I drank it with hot dogs while watching sports - effectively handing it home field advantage. But it's just bad. There's no reason to drink this as long as tap water remains free.

Egad! Bud Light!
Foam was light,light wheat in color that dissapated real quick with a serious carbonation issue. The color was a light gold almost yellow water. Smell was crisp and very small hints of hops. Absolutely no contribution to the senses. Taste, what taste? There was a feeling of 'no taste' involved except subtle hints of hops. Mouthfeel - crisp, carbonated. Drinkability - for me, it was hard drinking a beer with no taste compared to most other beers.

1.35/5  rDev -30.1%

My friend Brad is a self-proclaimed redneck. This is his beer and all of his buddies beer. They wont drink anything else. Of course, they brag that they can drink from noon to close. I could too, if I was drinking this stuff.

It is only palatable if you are funneling it. That's it.

1.35/5  rDev -30.1%

What can you say that hasn't been said about this beer?

I was even trying to be subjective on the light lager category and it still didn't live up to that.

A- pale yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipated very quickly.
S-water and yeast
T-dry with a small bit of metallic sweetness
M-very light and highly carbonated
D- not for me

1.35/5  rDev -30.1%

Co-worker gave me a couple cold ones for the ride home.

A - Looks like water in the brown bottle. No color to see.

S - Cannot pick up any type of aroma at all. Is it water?

T - Very bland as far as beer goes. Minimal malt sweetness and no hops at all in the mix. Watery.

M - Mouthfeel is not terrible. Its easy to drink if your thirsty and hot.

O - Everybody in America has tried this beer before. It's like training wheels before you jump onto a real bike and move onto something grander than a light lager.

1.34/5  rDev -30.6%

I thought maybe drinking this by the pool in the hot Florida sun might make this beer a little bit tolerable. (The choice was this or Corona without a lime (if it had been w/lime I would have opted for it)). I was wrong. I honestly felt like I wanted to puke after finishing my 16 Oz blue aluminum bottle. If I never drink another one of these for the rest of my life, I will definitely be cool with that.

1.34/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours like water with a dash of yellow food coloring. A puffy soapy head follows.

Smells corn sweet with hints of grain.

The taste is similar. Corn adjuncts with a hint of barely and a subtle attempt at hops. The taste is also very watered down.

Mouthfeel is watery thin. Despite the head, its also pretty flat.

I tried to keep my expectations low since this is a light macro, but I was still disappointed. Even among lights, this is still sub-par.

1.33/5  rDev -31.1%

I have found I simply cannot drink this beer. Even compared to Miller Light or PBR, I just can't do it.

The appearance is about the best part of this thing, the bubbles can be fun to watch, if you are 5.

There really isn't much smell to BL, and if there is, I find it is more like wet dog than anything else

Again, the taste isn't really anything. Maybe slighlty off water

Mouthfeel is watery, but bubbly

Drinkability is what really gets me here. It is just too carbonated. After even just 2 or 3 (because there is no reason to drink BL if you are only having 1) I find I can't do it, I am too full of gas.

1.33/5  rDev -31.1%

It pours an especially pale yellow that's crystal clear and readily carbonated. A fizzy finger of bright white head crops up and hangs a bit. Lacing is incidental and rare.

The aroma is thin to the point of almost imperceptible, with the exception of vague allusions to hop spice and a vegetal graininess. It's not awful only because I can't sense enough to decide.

Upon tasting, I wondered what I'm drinking, because the thin grain note is hardly malt, and what's there is too damned watery to note specifically. The hops are crisp, mildly bitter, and moderately skunky. The finish is blissfully brief and clean.
This is flavor?

Ultra-light bodied, it actually feels like it has thinner consistency than water itself, which helps in taking away everything it's too thin to leave behind.

The same way I am hesitant to give a beer all fives, I'm hesitant to give a beer all ones. I've justified all fives. This one came close to all ones, but not quite. With the exception of the insipid flavor, it is just a half step above lousy, but that's better than horrible, so I want to keep it in perspective. Simply, if you have to drink a light beer, and this is your choice, you should consider foregoing beer altogether. Isn't this at or near the top of the heap sales-wise?
That says a lot about the American consumer, I'm afraid.

1.33/5  rDev -31.1%

Had this from a 12 oz brown bottle.

Poured a straw yellow. Very transparent with no character going for it.

I tried to smell it. If I tried any harder, I would have had a nosefull of it. Very sterile.

I was able to taste a little corn and not much else. Still, the fact that I was able to taste something knocks it up above Coors Light.

Had the consistency of water with carbonation and was just as easy to swallow. Really, the only reason I can see for drinking this is to get as drunk as possible as cheaply as possible. Fortunately, that's not my bag, so there's no reason to go out of my way to have this again.

1.33/5  rDev -31.1%

Well, since Oklahoma law prohibits the retail sale of beer above 3.2 percent ABV between the hours of 9 pm(!) and 10 am(!!), the big three got smart and started brewing "beer" at the 3.2 line. One cannot acquire the big three above 3.2 unless one leaves the state. Well, I left the state. Let's see what the rest of the country drinks.

A: Extremely clear / pale yellow. Head is...well, white with lacing being to the point of non-existent.

S: Smell is also almost non-existent. Adjunct grain galore! Mild, mild sweetness on the followed by minimum bitterness.

T: I got nothing. Okay, not nothing, but pretty damn close. Mild rice grains along with a nondescript sweetness that turns into mild bitterness.

M: Forget about it. Soda water, beginning, mid and finish.

D: Why even bother? It drinks like so much seltzer. Easy to do, hard to enjoy.

Upon drinking "real" Bud Light, I am further disillusioned with the beer drinkers of America. THIS is your call to arms? THIS is what you answer to? Go back to vodka. It's more efficient.

1.32/5  rDev -31.6%

Bud Light gets a big ol' "meh" from me. This beer is great because it's cheap, a general crowd-pleaser (for some reason), and it's relatively easy to drink because it goes down essentially like water. When I was a kid, I always heard that drinking beer was the equivalent to drinking urine, and in Bud Light's case, I can kinda see where that comes from. The color is light yellow, the flavor is barely there, slightly bitter and a touch rice-y, and the mouthfeel is like carbonated water.

Overall, this beer is great when throwing them down in beer pong...but not in many other circumstances.

1.32/5  rDev -31.6%

I'm merely reviewing this beer as a public service, and because I inhale it rather frequently in games of friendly competition.

Pours a straw yellow color with a small white head that quickly fizzes away to nothing. Smells weakly of corn, and that's it. Taste is bland, pretty much like carbonated water with a hint of corn flavor. I would have preferred water really. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly, good enough to chug quickly and forget. That is the way you do it yes? Overall this is a poor beer, I would avoid.

1.32/5  rDev -31.6%

This is what I refer to as a "beer substitute". It's great when you can't get your hands on a real beer, or just don't have the cash to afford one. Honestly, I believe it's about as bad as you can get (maybe Natural Light is worse), but hey, it's cheap, and after a while it gets the job done.

Appearance: Light golden color. Absolutely average.

Smell: Smells absolutely like what a stereotypical beer would smell like. No frills, nothing special.

Taste: Taste? This horrible liquid HAS no taste. It's like drinking carbonated water with yellow dye (or something else that's yellow and unpleasant) in it.

Mouthfeel: Gargle with hydrogen peroxide. There ya go, that's the mouthfeel of this beer substitute.

Drinkability: Well... you can drink a whole ton of it. But you're certainly not going to enjoy it anywhere near as much as you'd enjoy a real beer.

Overall: Buy this only, and I mean only, if you plan to use it for some other purpose than drinking it. I'm sorry to say it's really just awful.

1.32/5  rDev -31.6%

Before and during a recent football game, I was presented with one beer choice: Bud light. So, how bad could it be? Well, it’s not so much distasteful as non-tasteful. It’s an unbelievably pale, watery, light shade of yellow. The head is minimal at best. No aroma, no taste. Maybe a hint of grain. Mouthfeel of carbonated water. No aftertaste. Frankly, drinking this beer is not much of an experience at all. It’s easy to drink, but it certainly doesn’t leave me with a desire for another.

1.32/5  rDev -31.6%

Went out with my friend to celebrate her birthday last night. The club had an expensive menu, but were offering bud light for 2 bucks. What they hey, I am buzzing, and need to keep it going for cheap. Big Mistake.

Appearance - In a bottle, couldn't really make it out in a dark club.

Smell - Awful, just completely unpleasant. Smells like raw bread.

Taste - It does not taste like water like most people make it out. Water does not make me cringe while I drink it. It is just an awful sensation of flavor.

Mouthfeel - Feels foamy, and has a nasty texture to it.

Drinkability - Honestly, I can not see how it has become Americas top selling beer. It does not make me want to grab another. Sure, it wont feel you up and you can drink as many as you want, but why punish yourself?

For a light beer expirience that provides low calories, with exceptional flavor and drinkability, Sam Adams light does the trick well. It is no wonder the rest of the world shames our beer drinking palate, when this crap brew is the number one seller in America.

1.32/5  rDev -31.6%

How could I ever have drank this? The taste is more like slightly strange tasting water. The ultimate test was complete when that was my only option at a hotel I was at. I tried to shandy it to give it something but to no avail. I settled for a diet coke!

With the big beer makers push to try and convince people that they actually use hops I tried hard for any incling of a hop taste. That got me focusing on the tastee so things went down hill. Hopefully the big players do not use the hop shortage to try and dent the inroads craft brewing has made to the masses.

1.31/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured from a can into a regular old pint glass

It looks very clean after being poured into the glass, the beer had a soda like head that vanished with zero retention. Clear yellow fizzy liquid somes it up nicely.

Can hardly smell a thing, some graininess and some cooked vegetables.

Taste is underwhelming, has a bread like finish and the hop character is almost non existent.

I don't even find this to be drinkable, the forced carbonation and lack of any flavor makes me want to steer clear of this and anything like it, like yeah it's kinda refreshing in mouth feel but I can drink a sprite for that same feeling! It's very clean and crisp bit the total lack of favor makes this undrinkable for me

1.31/5  rDev -32.1%

Is this really a beer I am drinking? I am not sure. It says beer on the can, tastes somewhat like what beer can taste like, but the mouthfeel is unlike anything I have ever experienced, and not in a good way either. Anyways, I got a can of this for free recently and couldn't resist writing a review of it here. I am trying to find some positive aspect about this beer, but can find none. Anyways it pours a very clear and very light golden color. The head is totally gone a minute at most after being poured, leaving zero lacing of any sort. Smell wise there is something but I can't identify any specific aromas, maybe a hint of some vegetables or a hint of grains. Has a bland, weak taste of sweet grain/corn and maybe a very faint trace of malt, but then again maybe not. I can't taste any trace of hops whatsoever. That's really it for taste, nothing else here. The only possible positive aspect I can maybe find about this beer is the warming effect it gives after a few sips. Has a crisp mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. This is missing the taste and mouthfeel of beer. It tastes and feels like seltzer water more than any other A-B product I have ever had. I am not a fan of A-B's products by any means, but this has to be the worst out of all A-B beers I have ever drank. Easy to drink the same way seltzer water is, which is never good IMO when it comes to beer. I don't think I'd ever drink this again, even for free. This beer has no redeeming qualities, unless you actually want to drink a beer that tastes like flat, skunked seltzer water. Avoid!

Eric

1.31/5  rDev -32.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Sitting in my hotel room in Las Vegas and thought I'd give this one a try, just for kicks.

Pale straw yellow, white head that disappears quickly - just a slight film remains. Some lacing, better than expected.

Smells of a bit of sweet malt and some foul grains.

Malt, with a hint of sweetness, cereal grains worthy only of livestock. The flavors are all very dumbed down. Mild bitterness. Gross, confused aftertaste.

Light bodied, club soda level carbonation.

Just an awful beer. Honestly, I think I'd rather have a Coors Light. At least Coors Light is more or less tasteless.

1.3/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Watching "Braveheart" last night. Go to the fridge to grab a beer. There is only one there. A 40 of Bud Light left by my brother in law from New Year's (sigh). Decided to do some tasteing so that I can write a review.

Decanted the 2005 vintage into a pilsner glass. A little forceful pouring and the narrow glass created a foamy, white 2" head that quickly faded to nothing. The appearance does NOT look like urine the way some people have said. No, no, urine has more color. It is a very pale yellow that is perfectly clear with a few bubbles coming up. The color almost reminded me of a Riesling or maybe a paler Chardonnay.

Smell, none.

Taste, You know how gatorade now markets water with a hint of lemon flavor? This is their new product. Water with a hint of beer and carbonated. Very carbonated.

Mouthfeel, carbonated water.

Drinkabilty, If you don't mind the taste, lack of aroma, and general un-beeriness you might could have finished the whole 40. I couldn't.

1.3/5  rDev -32.6%

Ahh, the very popular party beer. Cheap in a keg and the people like to drink it because its the olny beer they have ever had.

Apperance is lite in color with decent bubble action. A lighter yellow color than budweiser of miller.

smell is similar to water a beer, a close mixture.

Taste is just plain bad.a very bland "beer" that leaves a sour taste.

Mouth feel is just very thin, almost thinner than water.

Drink about two and you're in the bathroom. Leaves you bloated and just not a very good beer, all round.

1.3/5  rDev -32.6%

How did it come to this..but here I am reviewing a 24 oz can of Bud Light..and to give it the best chance I have poured it into my Chimay chalice ( that usually makes a beer look .5 better at least).
But not this one..two words for the appearance yellow and urine.
The aroma is even more abysmal than the appearance..some dirty rainwater comes to mind.
taste ..water with a dash of cheap beer.
Mouthfeel thin and horrid..chemical like aftertaste.
This stuff is no good..im sorry its just a bad beer..drink water .

1.3/5  rDev -32.6%

The classic beer my parents drink when I was first growing up. I expected a whole lot from this beer. It seemed like a good beer when I first tried it 10 years, but realize how awful it is. Almost like piss water. After drinking Yuengling, Sam Adams, Leininkugel and a slew of others this beer ranks towards the bottom of the list

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch