Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Reviews: 1,411 | Ratings: 5,705
1.34/5  rDev -30.2%

I thought maybe drinking this by the pool in the hot Florida sun might make this beer a little bit tolerable. (The choice was this or Corona without a lime (if it had been w/lime I would have opted for it)). I was wrong. I honestly felt like I wanted to puke after finishing my 16 Oz blue aluminum bottle. If I never drink another one of these for the rest of my life, I will definitely be cool with that.

1.34/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours like water with a dash of yellow food coloring. A puffy soapy head follows.

Smells corn sweet with hints of grain.

The taste is similar. Corn adjuncts with a hint of barely and a subtle attempt at hops. The taste is also very watered down.

Mouthfeel is watery thin. Despite the head, its also pretty flat.

I tried to keep my expectations low since this is a light macro, but I was still disappointed. Even among lights, this is still sub-par.

1.33/5  rDev -30.7%

I have found I simply cannot drink this beer. Even compared to Miller Light or PBR, I just can't do it.

The appearance is about the best part of this thing, the bubbles can be fun to watch, if you are 5.

There really isn't much smell to BL, and if there is, I find it is more like wet dog than anything else

Again, the taste isn't really anything. Maybe slighlty off water

Mouthfeel is watery, but bubbly

Drinkability is what really gets me here. It is just too carbonated. After even just 2 or 3 (because there is no reason to drink BL if you are only having 1) I find I can't do it, I am too full of gas.

1.33/5  rDev -30.7%

It pours an especially pale yellow that's crystal clear and readily carbonated. A fizzy finger of bright white head crops up and hangs a bit. Lacing is incidental and rare.

The aroma is thin to the point of almost imperceptible, with the exception of vague allusions to hop spice and a vegetal graininess. It's not awful only because I can't sense enough to decide.

Upon tasting, I wondered what I'm drinking, because the thin grain note is hardly malt, and what's there is too damned watery to note specifically. The hops are crisp, mildly bitter, and moderately skunky. The finish is blissfully brief and clean.
This is flavor?

Ultra-light bodied, it actually feels like it has thinner consistency than water itself, which helps in taking away everything it's too thin to leave behind.

The same way I am hesitant to give a beer all fives, I'm hesitant to give a beer all ones. I've justified all fives. This one came close to all ones, but not quite. With the exception of the insipid flavor, it is just a half step above lousy, but that's better than horrible, so I want to keep it in perspective. Simply, if you have to drink a light beer, and this is your choice, you should consider foregoing beer altogether. Isn't this at or near the top of the heap sales-wise?
That says a lot about the American consumer, I'm afraid.

1.33/5  rDev -30.7%

Had this from a 12 oz brown bottle.

Poured a straw yellow. Very transparent with no character going for it.

I tried to smell it. If I tried any harder, I would have had a nosefull of it. Very sterile.

I was able to taste a little corn and not much else. Still, the fact that I was able to taste something knocks it up above Coors Light.

Had the consistency of water with carbonation and was just as easy to swallow. Really, the only reason I can see for drinking this is to get as drunk as possible as cheaply as possible. Fortunately, that's not my bag, so there's no reason to go out of my way to have this again.

1.33/5  rDev -30.7%

Well, since Oklahoma law prohibits the retail sale of beer above 3.2 percent ABV between the hours of 9 pm(!) and 10 am(!!), the big three got smart and started brewing "beer" at the 3.2 line. One cannot acquire the big three above 3.2 unless one leaves the state. Well, I left the state. Let's see what the rest of the country drinks.

A: Extremely clear / pale yellow. Head is...well, white with lacing being to the point of non-existent.

S: Smell is also almost non-existent. Adjunct grain galore! Mild, mild sweetness on the followed by minimum bitterness.

T: I got nothing. Okay, not nothing, but pretty damn close. Mild rice grains along with a nondescript sweetness that turns into mild bitterness.

M: Forget about it. Soda water, beginning, mid and finish.

D: Why even bother? It drinks like so much seltzer. Easy to do, hard to enjoy.

Upon drinking "real" Bud Light, I am further disillusioned with the beer drinkers of America. THIS is your call to arms? THIS is what you answer to? Go back to vodka. It's more efficient.

1.32/5  rDev -31.3%

Bud Light gets a big ol' "meh" from me. This beer is great because it's cheap, a general crowd-pleaser (for some reason), and it's relatively easy to drink because it goes down essentially like water. When I was a kid, I always heard that drinking beer was the equivalent to drinking urine, and in Bud Light's case, I can kinda see where that comes from. The color is light yellow, the flavor is barely there, slightly bitter and a touch rice-y, and the mouthfeel is like carbonated water.

Overall, this beer is great when throwing them down in beer pong...but not in many other circumstances.

1.32/5  rDev -31.3%

I'm merely reviewing this beer as a public service, and because I inhale it rather frequently in games of friendly competition.

Pours a straw yellow color with a small white head that quickly fizzes away to nothing. Smells weakly of corn, and that's it. Taste is bland, pretty much like carbonated water with a hint of corn flavor. I would have preferred water really. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly, good enough to chug quickly and forget. That is the way you do it yes? Overall this is a poor beer, I would avoid.

1.32/5  rDev -31.3%

This is what I refer to as a "beer substitute". It's great when you can't get your hands on a real beer, or just don't have the cash to afford one. Honestly, I believe it's about as bad as you can get (maybe Natural Light is worse), but hey, it's cheap, and after a while it gets the job done.

Appearance: Light golden color. Absolutely average.

Smell: Smells absolutely like what a stereotypical beer would smell like. No frills, nothing special.

Taste: Taste? This horrible liquid HAS no taste. It's like drinking carbonated water with yellow dye (or something else that's yellow and unpleasant) in it.

Mouthfeel: Gargle with hydrogen peroxide. There ya go, that's the mouthfeel of this beer substitute.

Drinkability: Well... you can drink a whole ton of it. But you're certainly not going to enjoy it anywhere near as much as you'd enjoy a real beer.

Overall: Buy this only, and I mean only, if you plan to use it for some other purpose than drinking it. I'm sorry to say it's really just awful.

1.32/5  rDev -31.3%

Before and during a recent football game, I was presented with one beer choice: Bud light. So, how bad could it be? Well, it’s not so much distasteful as non-tasteful. It’s an unbelievably pale, watery, light shade of yellow. The head is minimal at best. No aroma, no taste. Maybe a hint of grain. Mouthfeel of carbonated water. No aftertaste. Frankly, drinking this beer is not much of an experience at all. It’s easy to drink, but it certainly doesn’t leave me with a desire for another.

1.32/5  rDev -31.3%

Went out with my friend to celebrate her birthday last night. The club had an expensive menu, but were offering bud light for 2 bucks. What they hey, I am buzzing, and need to keep it going for cheap. Big Mistake.

Appearance - In a bottle, couldn't really make it out in a dark club.

Smell - Awful, just completely unpleasant. Smells like raw bread.

Taste - It does not taste like water like most people make it out. Water does not make me cringe while I drink it. It is just an awful sensation of flavor.

Mouthfeel - Feels foamy, and has a nasty texture to it.

Drinkability - Honestly, I can not see how it has become Americas top selling beer. It does not make me want to grab another. Sure, it wont feel you up and you can drink as many as you want, but why punish yourself?

For a light beer expirience that provides low calories, with exceptional flavor and drinkability, Sam Adams light does the trick well. It is no wonder the rest of the world shames our beer drinking palate, when this crap brew is the number one seller in America.

1.32/5  rDev -31.3%

How could I ever have drank this? The taste is more like slightly strange tasting water. The ultimate test was complete when that was my only option at a hotel I was at. I tried to shandy it to give it something but to no avail. I settled for a diet coke!

With the big beer makers push to try and convince people that they actually use hops I tried hard for any incling of a hop taste. That got me focusing on the tastee so things went down hill. Hopefully the big players do not use the hop shortage to try and dent the inroads craft brewing has made to the masses.

1.31/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured from a can into a regular old pint glass

It looks very clean after being poured into the glass, the beer had a soda like head that vanished with zero retention. Clear yellow fizzy liquid somes it up nicely.

Can hardly smell a thing, some graininess and some cooked vegetables.

Taste is underwhelming, has a bread like finish and the hop character is almost non existent.

I don't even find this to be drinkable, the forced carbonation and lack of any flavor makes me want to steer clear of this and anything like it, like yeah it's kinda refreshing in mouth feel but I can drink a sprite for that same feeling! It's very clean and crisp bit the total lack of favor makes this undrinkable for me

1.31/5  rDev -31.8%

Is this really a beer I am drinking? I am not sure. It says beer on the can, tastes somewhat like what beer can taste like, but the mouthfeel is unlike anything I have ever experienced, and not in a good way either. Anyways, I got a can of this for free recently and couldn't resist writing a review of it here. I am trying to find some positive aspect about this beer, but can find none. Anyways it pours a very clear and very light golden color. The head is totally gone a minute at most after being poured, leaving zero lacing of any sort. Smell wise there is something but I can't identify any specific aromas, maybe a hint of some vegetables or a hint of grains. Has a bland, weak taste of sweet grain/corn and maybe a very faint trace of malt, but then again maybe not. I can't taste any trace of hops whatsoever. That's really it for taste, nothing else here. The only possible positive aspect I can maybe find about this beer is the warming effect it gives after a few sips. Has a crisp mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. This is missing the taste and mouthfeel of beer. It tastes and feels like seltzer water more than any other A-B product I have ever had. I am not a fan of A-B's products by any means, but this has to be the worst out of all A-B beers I have ever drank. Easy to drink the same way seltzer water is, which is never good IMO when it comes to beer. I don't think I'd ever drink this again, even for free. This beer has no redeeming qualities, unless you actually want to drink a beer that tastes like flat, skunked seltzer water. Avoid!

Eric

1.31/5  rDev -31.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Sitting in my hotel room in Las Vegas and thought I'd give this one a try, just for kicks.

Pale straw yellow, white head that disappears quickly - just a slight film remains. Some lacing, better than expected.

Smells of a bit of sweet malt and some foul grains.

Malt, with a hint of sweetness, cereal grains worthy only of livestock. The flavors are all very dumbed down. Mild bitterness. Gross, confused aftertaste.

Light bodied, club soda level carbonation.

Just an awful beer. Honestly, I think I'd rather have a Coors Light. At least Coors Light is more or less tasteless.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Watching "Braveheart" last night. Go to the fridge to grab a beer. There is only one there. A 40 of Bud Light left by my brother in law from New Year's (sigh). Decided to do some tasteing so that I can write a review.

Decanted the 2005 vintage into a pilsner glass. A little forceful pouring and the narrow glass created a foamy, white 2" head that quickly faded to nothing. The appearance does NOT look like urine the way some people have said. No, no, urine has more color. It is a very pale yellow that is perfectly clear with a few bubbles coming up. The color almost reminded me of a Riesling or maybe a paler Chardonnay.

Smell, none.

Taste, You know how gatorade now markets water with a hint of lemon flavor? This is their new product. Water with a hint of beer and carbonated. Very carbonated.

Mouthfeel, carbonated water.

Drinkabilty, If you don't mind the taste, lack of aroma, and general un-beeriness you might could have finished the whole 40. I couldn't.

1.3/5  rDev -32.3%

Ahh, the very popular party beer. Cheap in a keg and the people like to drink it because its the olny beer they have ever had.

Apperance is lite in color with decent bubble action. A lighter yellow color than budweiser of miller.

smell is similar to water a beer, a close mixture.

Taste is just plain bad.a very bland "beer" that leaves a sour taste.

Mouth feel is just very thin, almost thinner than water.

Drink about two and you're in the bathroom. Leaves you bloated and just not a very good beer, all round.

1.3/5  rDev -32.3%

How did it come to this..but here I am reviewing a 24 oz can of Bud Light..and to give it the best chance I have poured it into my Chimay chalice ( that usually makes a beer look .5 better at least).
But not this one..two words for the appearance yellow and urine.
The aroma is even more abysmal than the appearance..some dirty rainwater comes to mind.
taste ..water with a dash of cheap beer.
Mouthfeel thin and horrid..chemical like aftertaste.
This stuff is no good..im sorry its just a bad beer..drink water .

1.3/5  rDev -32.3%

The classic beer my parents drink when I was first growing up. I expected a whole lot from this beer. It seemed like a good beer when I first tried it 10 years, but realize how awful it is. Almost like piss water. After drinking Yuengling, Sam Adams, Leininkugel and a slew of others this beer ranks towards the bottom of the list

1.3/5  rDev -32.3%

Appearance = pale, pale gold, medium carbonation, big foamy head

Nose = nada

taste = bad beer mixed w/water. If this is all we've got I'll ask for water instead. If I'm dieting I'd rather drink one GOOD brew and 2 glasses of water than sit around drinking 3 of these.

1.3/5  rDev -32.3%

A: Light yellow color. Crystal clear. Zero head.

S: Smell of slight grain, but nothing really there.

T: Watery pilsner taste devoid of any hop flavor.

D: Yes you can drink 50 of these in a single sitting... you still won't be drunk but you can.

Listen, it is what it is. Some people don't drink for flavor, they drink the easiest thing they can. The only redeeming factor to this beer is the fact that you can drink 400 if it's the only thing around. I get into this situation in remote areas and you just have to get through it. Better than water... maybe...

1.3/5  rDev -32.3%

This is not a very good product. Overall it has a very bland appearance, no highlights, no real color. There isn't a very defined scent, the aroma is very faint because it is barley there to begin with. I can not drink this. It has a very sandy texture and goes down rougher than warm ginger ale.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This was probably one of the first beers I ever tried. It's cheap and really at that age, I didn't know any better. The color is a pale yellow and pours out initially with a moderate amount of foam which completely dissipates into nothing. It has a very bland taste to it, almost completely like water. A lot of carbonation. Truly, it's the beer to drink when all you want to do is get drunk...and even then it will take far too many than I care to spend my money on!

1.3/5  rDev -32.3%

A-About as pale as it gets. This is a few shades darker than water and lighter in color than ginger ale. Thin ring of foam does remain however.

S-Smell is actually somewhat off-putting. It consists of a harsh mustiness and some malty sweetness.

T-Carbonated water with a splash of beer in the aftertaste. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't taste like beer.

M-Thin and carbonated.

D-I would never purchase this beer for myself.

Overall, this beer is only worth drinking if it is the only thing available or if you are going to be outside in the heat and hydration is a must. It should be against the law for this to be marketed and sold as beer.

1.3/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Can from Jackson's d koent bin. Can't believe I haven't rated this yet. Clear pale golden, small white airy head, tons of bubbles. Aroma is a bit musty, funky, but mostly cereal grains. Taste isn't bad, its just not there. Nothing, Nada, zip. Body is watery and zero finish.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch