Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Reviews: 1,417 | Ratings: 5,739
1.48/5  rDev -23.3%

This beer was tasted in a Pilsner Glass from a Can.

The beer pours a pale yellow with a thick white head that dissipates quickly and does not lace. It just smells of nasty corn. There is very little taste that is dominated by corn and rice. The mouthfeel has some overpowering artificial carbonation and is watery. Overall it is tough to drink. The adjunct flavors just take over making me heave to try to drink it quickly. However it is light enough, to not be as offensive as it could be if these flavors were stronger.

1.9/5  rDev -1.6%

I was meeting some friends at the local watering hole and my friend comes to the table and I ask her what she is drinking. Another friend of mine says it is a french beer and makes up a french sounding name and asks me to try it.

Because I had been trying to get them to try a variety of beers that night and extolling the virtue of good beer. My friend was trying to see if I would praise a beer just because he claimed it to be a micro. I took one sip of the beer and put it down. I picked it up and I took another sip. "This is just water" I declared. I was trying to get any sort of flavor out of the beer at all and could not find any.

Bud light is just for people who want to get lit, there is not other reason anyone would drink this swill because there is no enjoyment in drinking this whatsoever.

It wasn't till later that they admitted that is was bud light, Nice try guys.

1.85/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance – Totally translucent pale straw color.
Smel/Taste – Not much there in the smell department. The faintest of hops. Smells like beer. Tastes a little like beer. Nothing stands out.
Mouthfeel – Thin and watery. Bubbles tingle my tounge. A bit sticky, but even that is mild.
Drinkability – Incredibly easy to drink. Everything is mild
Notes – This is the first in a series of reviews as I clear out my college fridge. I have quite a little macro collection from party left overs.

1.85/5  rDev -4.1%

Served from draft into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light golden color with a white head.

Smell: Not much aroma. There is also a slight hint of corn but like I said there is not much of an aroma.

Taste: Slight hint of malt and corn and that is about it. Not much flavor at all. Also a slight metalic flavor is present.

Mouthfeel: Thin Mouthfeel, very much like water.

Drinkability: Very drinkable because it is just like water.

1.82/5  rDev -5.7%

i'm taking a critical look at this to see what i can make of it.
pale, pale yellow with a foamy white head that dissipates to the faintest of rings around the glass.
the aroma is somewhat sour with a faint grainyness, and a *hint* of floral hops. i might be inclined to give this a 2 here if there were any real aroma to hold onto, but it's barley perceptable.
the taste consists of some slight vegetable sweetness, and a little grainyness. thats about it.
the mouthfeel is quite dry and has a watery and seltzer like body. blech.
i can drink it, and i've drank large amounts of it when in the company of friends, but it's nothing i'd ever go to because i enjoy any of it's qualities

1.38/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a lovely urine color with only the slightest hint of a head. Smells like stale yeast, much like a beer glass that has been left on the counter over night. That, and corn chips. Tastes like carbonated red licorice and corn. Delicious! Mouth feel is thin with a lot of carbonation. I must say, this is a few steps closer to drinkable when it's on tap.

1.88/5  rDev -2.6%

Well, when you can't afford to splash out just a little, or there's not much of a selection. I guess it will just have to do. This has never been, nor will it ever be a first choice for any real beer advocate.

Even in high school I was able to splash out just a little, and gone with something a little better in quality and taste.

Unfortunatly, althought this is one of the best selling beers in the nation, I'm sure most of that has to do with price, and availability as oppose to taste.

Better than Miller high life, and comparable to Coors Light. I would give this a miss, unless your really desperate.

Indy :o)

One of the few beers that I will flat out turn down.

No redeeming qualities whatsoever. More expensive than drinkable cheap beers macro swill like High Life, OML, and PBR.

Pale yellow and fizzy with no head. Smells like musty, rancid water and tastes about the same. Mouthfeel is fizzy water. Drinkability is non-existent. Some seem to find it easy to drink, but I can't stomach it.

Avoid at all costs.

1.9/5  rDev -1.6%

A yellow straw color with a small head,it did have alot of carbonation.This smells alittle fruity,but not much else.This tastes like water that is beer flavored.It's light and watery,but as far as a macro light goes it stands up to the other swill.The m/f is light and watery.I don't think I would ever try this again,but it's still better than other big macro lights.

2.5/5  rDev +29.5%

Served in a thick mug,this beer pours a white fizzy head that rapidly disapates.No laceing.No cascadeing.Just sits there.The color is light yellowish.The aroma is corn and slight alcohol.The taste is like the nose.Light and watery on the mouth, goes down easy.I can say this beer is rated low for a reason.Not much to remember,and i would not recommmend spending money on this.

2.33/5  rDev +20.7%

Is there anyting that I can say that hasn't been said before? Very light in color, not much to smell or taste. It is a gateway drink. It is for teens who havn't had anything else to compare it to. Not a horrible beer, I would rather drink many, many things over this though. If you think that this or any other American light beer is the only one out there, try something else. Who knows, you just might like dark beer and not even know it.

The only reason that I give this beer a 3.5 on drinkablity is because the price is right. You can hardly argue this. But never forget, you get what you pay for. I have a soft spot for AB, this was the first beer that I would call my own. Every now and then, after a long hard day of work, I still like to sit down with a cold tall Bud light.

1.8/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

This brew is currently what the youth of America are supping. God help us. Hey, there is a lot to say about marketing and right now the ads carry this beer. Poor students can certainly get a plethora of better tasting cheaper brews: Miller Lite, Pabst, High Life, Schlitz, Golden Anniversary. If it is due to calorie intake (biggest marketing scam in modern day next to tartar control toothpaste) then there is no doubt that Miller Lite or Amstel Light have more beer taste.

But don't get me wrong. If I'm out playing wiffleball or at Fenway and my buddy comes back with a cup of Bud Light. I'll drink it. There are times when it is okay. There are just way too few when it is right.

1.92/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A little good about its sister; its espectacular aluminum bottle, are beatiful, really can help to keep cold the beer until the last drop; its bottle is one of the most advanced innovations in the beer market, i try alone withouth food, its pint size is perfect for take two or three bottles no more; drink direct from the bottle. 75% recommended.

3.55/5  rDev +83.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

With this, we are getting into the awfull beers domains, this is a little hard to stand and maybe with sdome other beers before, you can relax and just drink it, but as it can be described, it can be found. I would preffer to have a regular beer than the light version of this brewery.

2.17/5  rDev +12.4%

I will keep this review relativley simple as to not be repeating what anyone here has said.

I drank Bud Light in my high school days...why? Mostly because that's all anyone would ever buy. I'd ask for something a little higher up, such as Rolling Rock, and no...they would give me this. Oh well, gotta work from the bottom up.

A - No head, pale, straw, yellow coloring

S - None but a faint "beer" smell if you want to generalize this beer.

T - None, goes down easy though giving it the 1.5 given on the scale

M - Nothing horribly offensive here. No aftertaste which is a good thing.

D - Here's what's nice about it honestly. I could pound a 12-pack of these in a day just because it's easy to drink. Very smooth and thin which gives it that extra help for shotgunning, chugging, beer pong, beer bongs, and any college type party games.

Overall, I would never buy this again if it weren't for having group get-togethers where my buddies drink a ton of this crap.

1.95/5  rDev +1%

My mother (who hates beer) and I had a little discussioin/arguement on the topic of Bud Light yesterday fallowing a wisecrack I made about a friend of hers' preference for the said beverage. "Everybody likes it," insisted my mother. I came back with the expected, "That doesn't make it right" and "It hardly tastes like beer," etc... Being the enormously open-minded person that I am, I grabbed one from the fridge, poured it into a glass and sat down to sample it and review it, sans prejudgment.

The pour is something of a gold-tinged clear color with a frothy white head that leaves a thin lace. You can work backwards from better beer or forward from awful beer when reviewing this one. There isn't much of a nose but it's not filled with corn like some other macros. It's not overly fizzy, but the mouthfeel is very thin and watery. There's not a lot of anything here as far as the taste is concerned. It tastes like club soda with, possibly, the least amount of hops and malt you can put into a beverage and still have the chutzpah to call it beer. There's no offensive flavors in here so it's not a chore to drink, but I'm not anxious to have another one of these ever again.

1.16/5  rDev -39.9%

I got this on-tap for only .90 a 12oz at a local bar. Someone got this for me and it's a good thing because this stuff was bad. It poured a very pale yellow color with an inch of foam that dissipated very fast. No smell what so ever and if there was anything, I'm sure as hell didn't smell it. The taste and mouthfeel were both bland and watery. It's sad that a bottle of water has more taste than this beer on-tap. Since this beer is cheap, affordable, low in alcohol, and everywhere, you drink alot of this stuff. But I can't see why anybody would do that.

2.9/5  rDev +50.3%

Bottle obtained from the discount bin of Liquor Mart (Boulder) and consumed about a week later. Born on 15 Aug05 D802. Very very pale dull yellow liquid (although it's crystal clear). Pours a two finger fizzy 'soda pop' head that quickly settles to nothing. Smells mildly malty...like honey sweet. Plus a darker aroma that comes across as sort of cardboard and mushroom, but which I'm beginning to recognize as Spalt hops. Tastes very watery. Mildly malt sweet and with a dark hop character. Hop is extremely mild and is *way* below the sting from the carbonation. In fact, I would say the carbonation contributes more to the flavor than anything else. The first sip was decent, as I could really 'get' the malt and hops, but all subsequent tastes were lacking. I'm not sure if my DFH pint glass will ever recover. I was foolish to use it for this Bud Light. The mouthfeel is extremely thin, like water. The beer actually improved a bit when I swirled to release some of the carbonation. The hop flavor became more prevalent and the taste of iron made an appearance. Drinkability...low when I'm in beer geek mode, but could be high under certain circumstances.

Tasted on-tap 09/20/05 at Fast Eddie's in Fairfax, VA.

Pale straw color with a low flat white head, ringed edge, and decent carbonation. Light cooked corn aroma and taste and not much else. Light flavored beer, crisp and dry. Light bodied but fairly smooth and refreshing.

A bit better than Miller Lite and lots beter than Coors Light in my opinion. Seems very similar to Busch Light actually. I go with Bud Light when I don't opt for Diet Coke or water and have to choose among the 3.

1.68/5  rDev -13%

This used to be one of my favorite beers (sadly enough)...

Now that I've seen the light and know what real beer tastes like, I can say that I honestly dont know why anyone would choose to drink this.

Appearance is very pale yellowish gold with a tiny head that lasts long enough for the bartender to give it to you.

Aftertaste is what kills this beer for sure.... stale and bitter undertones that just get worse after the beer has had a chance to warm a little...but thats what I assume any beer made from rice is going to taste like.

No body whatsoever, mouthfeel is very thin and watered down... drinks a lot like water, however you can only hope to have it taste that good.

1.13/5  rDev -41.5%

Bottle: Poured a very light yellow color lager with small bubbly head with not much retention. Aroma of adjunct and little else. Taste is very light indeed, similar to water with bit of corn in there. Body is so thin it’s unbelievable. Hard to believe but being stuck between the regular Bud and this, I would go with Bud.

1.85/5  rDev -4.1%

The head is short lived, white, and fizzy. Clear, weak gold in color.

Smells like corn and weak bread grain. No hops noticeable whatsoever. Tastes like wet, stale bread.

Tastes like water with some bread mixed in.

Moderate carbonation with a very thin body.

2.01/5  rDev +4.1%

I had this on tap at a party. I drank it in a pint glass.

Taps an incredibly light straw with a one finger head of white bubbles. The head evaporated quickly to a ring aroung the glass. There was no lacing. Looks fizzy.

I cam smell light DMS and faint raw grain. No hops whatsoever. That's about it.

The flavor is, well, it's wet and carbonated! A very slight raw grain flavor comes through late. The aftertaste is very short and chalky dry.

The only thing you can feel in your mouth is fizz. It's almost like there's nothing else there. Finish is very dry.

I guess I just don't get it. This is the #1 selling beer in the U.S. It has no smell, no taste, no nothing none neither! Fizzy, watery and thin, and those are the good points.

2.26/5  rDev +17.1%

I have always considered this THE worst big brewer beer made...I mam somewhat surprised with it after drinking it....It sucks, but it doesn't really really suck (if you know what I mean).

Pours a light yellow color...better appearance than expected...Nose is typical macro...cereal grains...but a stronger scent than I expected too.

The taste is smooth and mildly sweet. Nothing bitter about this....not as watery as expected...still nothing real impressive about it either...

As they say "it is what it is"..I'm surprised that this is not as bad as I thought....Bud Select is much worse...perhaps that is what I was expecting. I'd take most of the other light beers over this but it's drinkable if you're thirsty. (Now on to the Town Hall Smoked Porter growler review)

12 oz bottle at The Last Round Up in Stillwell, IN. You can imagine the beer selection they might have in Stillwell, IN. It was cold and wet. Bud Light finishes pretty dry. It has a mostly grainy aroma. Clear and bubbly. Bud light has its place. I'm glad to say that most of us think its in somebody else's fridge.

Bud Light from Anheuser-Busch