Bud Light | Anheuser-Busch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

Ratings: 5,890 |  Reviews: 1,443
2.5/5  rDev +29.5%

1.66/5  rDev -14%

Presentation: 22 oz brown wide mouth bottle, “born on date” on the label for freshness. This sample was pour into a frozen mug to bring it to optimum temperature.

Appearance: Palest yellow that a beer could be you would guess, almost colourless to a point. Exceptional clarity with a faint wispy white lace.

Smell: Very clean aroma, nearly nothing there. Cereal grains and a light whiff of filtered grain reaches the nose.

Taste: Very light bodied, close to bone dry. Thin seltzer like mouth feel. Virtually no hops noticeable to the tongue until the crispness kicks and subsides … bitterness seems to only ride the wave of seltzer like carbonation, but little at that. Malt is extremely thin and scant to the palate. Touch of grain and husk in the flavour but that is about it. Bone dry finish comes to no surprise.

Notes: This beer is for the tasteless beer drinker that thinks there is only ONE beer out there. You may as well drink some seltzer water with alcohol added to it … get the picture, you are not a real beer drinker!

2.03/5  rDev +5.2%

The queen of beers,LOL. Well seriously I have been trying all of these to see what really makes them such great sellers. The only thing I can come up with is that they are cheap, and when cold go down like water. I guess this is for those who are drinking to get drunk. Anyway onward with my thoughts. Pale golden water with a whith fizzy head comes out of the bottle and into the glass. Head fades leaving nothing but the golden water and lots of visible carbonation. Smell was really not tere at all, maybe some slight rice or bread but nothing worth really noting on. The taste was even lighter then its original namesake, which is to be expected. Very light grain and rice flavors, malty with nothing else to add any complexity to it. This truly tastes like I am drinking water. Highly carbonated and served ice cold, I guess it could make a substitution for soda, but its just not something to drink to enjoy. It truly was light on everything.

1.83/5  rDev -5.2%

Under most circumstances, can kick or no can kick, I would be embarrassed to have this in my refrigerator. In this case, however, they had released 75th Anniversary bottle-cans for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I bought two, one each for me and one for my teetotaling buddy.

It poured with an initially big, foamy, bone-white head, but it experienced low retention. The color was a really light lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It struck me as too light and too clear to hold out much hope. The nose had an unusually sweet quality that I could not put my finger on. Still, it was going to be much too sweet for my liking. The mouthfeel was light, airy, I felt like I was drinking liquid cotton. There was very little flavor on the tongue. It was so watery and tasteless that in a blind taste test with bottled water, I doubt that I could tell them apart. This is what I had been drinking in the navy when I was MUCH younger?!? Swill! The finish had a light sweetness, but it just seemed like it had been completely stripped of anything that might even be loosely construed as taste. I'll keep the bottle-can and pass the other to my buddy, but I would not recommend this mess to my worst enemy.

2.49/5  rDev +29%

Review #2000! I reviewed this over a year ago but recently noticed that for some reason that was never explained to me that the review got deleted, so figured I'd review it again. Poured from a 12 oz. can into my Portsmouth 20th Anniversary pilsner glass because why the hell not. BA suggests a pilsner glass so let's go with that.

a - Pours a bright, pale straw yellow color that is very transparent, one finger of fluffy white head that only lasts a few seconds, and high carbonation evident. No lacing left on the glass and no head retention at all. Looks like most light BMC beers.

s - Smells of corn, grains, wheat, and light sweet pale malts. Not much going on at all, but not skunky light some other light lagers.

t - Tastes of corn, lightly sweet, grains, bread, and wheat. Again, not offensive but nothing going on. Not skunky at all.

m - Light body and low to moderate carbonation. Light, watery mouthfeel.

o - Overall this is not a good beer, but it is a lot better than any Miller product, and is very easy to drink. It is not as watery and tasteless as Coors Light either; I think it's the best of the BMC light lagers, though that isn't saying much. Obviously nothing to seek out but I've had much worse and much more offensive craft beers, that I would rate below this. Most people will give it a bad grade due to it being a light lager produced by a BMC company, but it isn't offensive or skunky at all. Most of the beers on the "Bottom of the List" list are worse than this one; while it might deserve to be on the list, it should be much lower than #5.

1.5/5  rDev -22.3%

2.12/5  rDev +9.8%

A: The pour is even lighter than I recall. Clear with an ever so slight yellow tint and lots of CO2 bubbles. The head disappears almost instantly.

S: It smells pretty much like what you would expect: nothing. A slight grainy sweetness, but no skunk or hops or anything else, really.

T: Like the nose, there really isn't much to this beer. There' some sweetness provided by the grains, but otherwise it's very watery and bland.

M: Normally I don't mind the mouthfeel of light and adjunct lagers because they're quite bubbly and I enjoy that part of them. This, however is just so thin and doesn't have that same level of effervescence.

D: It is "drinkable" because it's so water-like, but I really have no desire to drink more of this beer. It's just so bland and flavorless; I would rather take another light lager over this.

1.59/5  rDev -17.6%

Served via can into a pint glass.

A - Pours pale yellow with a one finger tall white head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Smells like flavored water. Little to no hops, malt, barley, ect. to speak of.

T - Very light body. Very similar to the nose with little to no hops or malt at all. The only detectable hops seem to be the faint bitterness that is only noticeable thanks to the prickly carbonation. Finish is really nothing at all. Easily one of the worst beers out there.

M - Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Crisp feel with not much of anything lingering in the finish.

D - Sure I could pound a few of these but why would I want to? If I wanted to drink water I would.

1.5/5  rDev -22.3%

2.25/5  rDev +16.6%

1.99/5  rDev +3.1%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Who doesn't love free table-tappers? If only we won Quizzo more often... Anyway, it was inevitable this would be done, so let's just get down to it. Consider it a preface to Swill Tour 2010 (upcoming...trust me, it shall be painful).

It pours a clear pale straw topped by about a finger or so of white foam. The nose is very weak, comprising some very light wheat, rice, and corn syrup notes. The taste ain't much better, with bad blackened wheat and puffed rice dominating the proceedings, while some mildly sweet corn syrup tries vainly to clean things up a bit. (I'm not sure what I mean by that, but it made sense while I typed it.) The body seems infused with helium, with a moderate carbonation and a rather watery feel. Y'know, I have no idea why light beer was invented. Seriously, this just ain't good at all.

1.75/5  rDev -9.3%

2.75/5  rDev +42.5%

2.51/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a medium golden color with a smallish white head that dissipates rather quickly but never disappears. Smells of light sweet bready malt with a touch of apple and honey and maybe some floral hops. The flavor is sweet grainy with pomme fruits and a hint of bread and hops. Light body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a sweet watery mouthfeel. Well it could work on a hot summer day, but there is so little flavor in here it's hard for me to want to.

2.46/5  rDev +27.5%

Its a simple beer. Good for after sweating in teh yard or on the court....or whatever. The color is golden clear with decent carbonation. The smell is grainy if anything. The taste is light grainy water taste. Mouthfeel is fine could drink alot of it...if that was all there was.

2.13/5  rDev +10.4%

Bud Light is the most unoffensive beer in the world. The appearance is a pale golden fizzy yellow tone with a highly carbonated fizzy white head that does stay around for a little suprisingly not much lace going on here. Aroma is not off just mild sweetness derived from corn, rice, and malted barley. My theory is that people who don't like beer drink this beer, because you don't have to think about it there's not much to analyze here or to taste for that matter. Flavors blend smoothly because nothing stands out enough to collide so this is for the masses and their marketing campaign allows them to reach more people than I can fathom. Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated like a soda water flavored beer. Drinkability on a couple levels does this challenge my senses and make me yearn for another well no, but can I drink alot of this low alcohol light beer yes probably a 12 pack but is it worth it not in my opinion.

1.66/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a golden, bubbly color with soapy head that doesn't last. Smells like nothing, absolutely nothing. Taste is corn and candy; very sweet and nothing to add actual flavor. Mouthfeel is bubbly but smooth

Overall, way too sweet and way too carbonated. This just isn't good.

1.75/5  rDev -9.3%