Busch Light | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Busch and Busch Light are both brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor. Additionally, Busch Light undergoes a longer brewing process that produces a lighter body and fewer calories.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2001

Reviews: 392 | Ratings: 1,554
1.31/5  rDev -32.8%

Why do I do this to myself? Open minded...here we go...

This is very light, just barely pale gold color. Quick white head that goes "dodo" very quickly.

Stale malt and corn aroma. Dank. Old socks

Taste? Not much. The stale malt is more old socksy and the corn is underneath. I'd think this is sock flavored water. Fizzy. This does not taste like beer. Not even close, but it does match the category a bit.

1.32/5  rDev -32.3%

Busch Light, from a can: that was all they served at the recent rodeo I attended. I am at a loss to understand this beverage. Cripes, it is shockingly pale. I mean, take a Bud and pour half a glass of water in it, and you are still to dark. No head. Initial aroma was like melted wax, yeah, I know, that does not make any sense. The taste is . . . absent. I mean, there is sweetness there, toward the end, but this is not a beer. I’m not kidding, I’ve had water that has more taste than this. Not enough of anything even to be awful.

1.32/5  rDev -32.3%

This is a cheap beer and for a reason. It tastes like a glass of water would taste if say, you bumped into someone who was holding a beer and a couple drops of their beer fell into your glass of water. Not much taste to it at all, but i will say it was refreshing... because yea, water is suppose to be refreshing. But when u can get 32 cans for $10, you can not expect too much, plus its not marketed as a high quality beer, its a typical college/high school part beer, because u get a lot for a little.

1.33/5  rDev -31.8%

The appearance was a light lemon honey yellow, like someone had poured water into a beer; just a basic thin film of a head. The smell was about the same; did someone pour beer into my glass of water? Tasted like how I would imagine a macro lager would taste if you left it out in the sun for a couple days, but weaker. The mouthfeel was again like water to me. The overall drinkability is a catch 22. You have to be wasted before you can drink it but you have to drink a whole ton of them before you're wasted.

Ugh. Just, ugh.

On tap at the local dive bar in the middle-of-nowhere Iowa.

I don't know that I'd drink this on purpose, but it was ordered up, and who am I to refuse a visit to an old High School buddy on someone else's dime?

Well, hypothetically, I'd be a smart person. But that doesn't stop me from downing 3 of these, and finding each more repulsive than the one before (although, in fairness, on the second pint I requested a non-frosted mug, just to make sure I wasn't killing any flavor. Turns out, no. There just isn't any flavor).

In a frosted mug, the first thing that hits my mouth is: water. Hard water, to be sure, but water. There's a creepy corn/alteredmalt vileness that seeps in right afterward that lingers on the tongue since there's absolutely nothing here to dry it out. Thin and insubstantial doesn't quite do the body justice.

What concerns me most is that, even as light beers go, I was literally choking down a third pint in a frosted glass (pool was being played). I mean, I'm not a big fan of these beers anymore, but I can drink a Sam Light and not be bothered by it. This was bothering me. Some part of me wants to give it all 1's, but I can imagine a worse beer drinking experience.

But this comes pretty close to the bottom.

1.35/5  rDev -30.8%

Went to a frat party at Francis Marion, and well, there they love this stuff. The main draw to it is definately the price, but when I look for a beer I would rather throw in a couple extra dollars than to drink this. However, it gets the job done for cheep. I instead threw in an extra $3 for Budweiser, which may not be the best beer in the world, but it beats the hell out of this stuff.

1.35/5  rDev -30.8%

Appearance - Light yellow with a small foamy head. Some lacing remained in the glass.

Smell - Some hops and grain.

Taste - Clean. Some hops present and grain.

Mouthfeel - Light and clean.

Drinkability - Fairly easy to drink, but so is water. Not the worst I've had, but close enough.

1.36/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured can into pint glass.

Appearance: Very clear and very pale gold in color. Had a small head.

Smell: Not much going on here. A little of that malt/rice smell typical of adjuncts, but even that is very weak.

Taste: Very bland. It tastes like water; that's all I can say.

Mouthfeel: Very, very thin and not only does it taste like water, but it feels like it too.

Drinkability: Not good at all. This might work for beer pong or something, but that's it.

1.37/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured from 12oz can into 19oz pilsner glass.

Appearance: Clear pale straw color with a surprisingly large and foamy white head that dissipates rather slowly and leaves heavy lace.

Smell: Corn and grains, with a slightly grassy hop smell.

Taste: Sweet adjuncts, with a sweet corn finish that has a hint of grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, but crisp and refreshing at the end.

Drinkability: Ok, it's drinkable, but that's really the only redeeming quality. I'll drink this at parties to get drunk, but as far as drinking beer for the enjoyment of it, even Bud Light would be a better choice.

1.37/5  rDev -29.7%

A super quickly dissappearing head that vanished almost as quick as a sodas. The palest of yellows, this beer is just horrid. The color is if you added one drop of yellow food coloring to a glass of water.

Slightly metallic, coppery nose, musky corn. Ugh.

Super light. I mean, this is as close to carbonated water as it gets. Close to absolutly NO flavor. A mostly water down corn and tiny malt essence to the taste.

Mouthfeel, couldnt be much lighter. Brother to water.

1.39/5  rDev -28.7%

A friend had some of these left over from a party. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had one. It must have been years and years ago; so, I swallowed my pride and gave it a try.
Pours a very light, very clear, yellow-tinged liquid. Actually, the head is very nice: puffy and bright white, with notable stability. Zero aroma…maybe a faint hint of cooked vegetables, but you have to nearly inhale the liquid to get even that minor sensation. Essentially zero taste as well, with a little tingle of carbonation. I’m not exaggerating to say that I think I’ve had seltzer water with more character. Now, there isn’t anything unpleasant about the beer…it simply has a complete lack of any attributes at all. Nothing disagreeable because there’s nothing there…of course, that begs the question: can it then be called beer?

1.39/5  rDev -28.7%

Born on date of 12/09/2011.
Poured into a pilsener.

Appearance: Fizzy, white frothy 2 finger head. The head stayed around for a couple of minutes leaving a little bit of lacing. Ligkt yellow color. Very little carbonation.

Smell: A little bit of malt with some grains.

Taste: This was the most disappointing aspect of this beer. Very little taste. Like it smelled. A little malt and grain.

Mouth Feel: Light, dry, thin fizzy water.

Overall: It started out looking pretty good for a light lager. It was all downhill after that. It's "Natural Light" cousin is actually a better beer. This is not a beer that I need again.

1.4/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a Peace Tree pint. I'll disinfect it later. Born on date of 17 Dec 2010 is well within the 210 day window of "freshest taste."

A: No carbonation, head or lace. Color is sallow.

S: Offensive. When spilled on the floor and left for days, the aroma is unaltered.

T: Absent. Hints of nondescript grain, perhaps corn, not sweet corn, but feed corn.

M: Equivalent to a glass of well water with a quarter teaspoon of baking soda and a pinch of borax.

D: If you're already completely drunk, quite drinkable. Otherwise, somewhat less so.

Notes:

If Jurgis Rudkus had worked in a brewery rather than a sausage factory, this would be the beer he made.

If George Orwell in 1984 had complained of the sorry state of beer rather than gin, this would be the beer he was rating.

If, at the end of Return of the Jedi, Darth Vader had betrayed Luke and remained loyal to the emperor, this would be the beverage used to toast the emperor's success.

Would drain pour this, but I fear for what might crawl back out of the drain in the middle of the night. A can of wasabi-coated peas should remove the aftertaste from my mouth. Maybe.

1.4/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

wow! i used to drink a lot of Booosh when i was in college. it was cheap.

i tried Busch lite and what do you know...it is like Booosh and H2O mixed half and half. should be half the price then.

bad fake carbonation. you can tell by the large bubbles that are quickly gone.

not any real color. not much smell and even less taste.

this would have to be free and cold for me to have it. it is not gag you bad, just is not much good to say.

giblet

1.4/5  rDev -28.2%

Trying to make my way through the A-B line up ( as I am an A-B delivery driver) and was a little cash strapped, so Busch Light it was for this day of grass cutting...

Appearance: very light, clear, very watery. I drank my first from the can, and thought it was clear, but I poured the second into a glass and there is a slight yellow tint to it. Fizzed up with an aggressive pour, but dissipated quickly, no lacing

Smell: not much, very water like

Taste: the weakest beer I have ever tried, no taste at all. the scent from the grass on my feet is leaving a stronger taste in my mouth than this beverage

Mouth feel: bubbly, decently carbonated, thin and water like

Overall: Not good at all. Busch original is probably as light of a beer as I would drink, but at least I have another "had" under my belt. If cold enough, it is only a slightly slightly better alternative than water for a grass cutting day.

12oz can poured into a pint glass

A: Poured with a one finger head of fizz that fizzed out into absolutely nothing. Literally there was no type of head or even a ring of foam on this beer. Color of pee. Not much carbonation rising at all.

S: Very faint husky grains and very light corn. Hard to smell much.

T: Well...tastes like water with some alcohol in it. Seriously. Aftertaste has a little bit of corn in it. At least it doesn't taste bad I guess.

M: So incredibly watery. Light carbonation is there.

O: If you drink crappy beer, at least don't drink this. It sucks.

1.42/5  rDev -27.2%

Best by or Canned Date, 31 Aug, 2012. Today's date Aug 12, 2016.

Serving Can

Take every beer you've ever sampled, sober or buzzed, and it smells like their feet. The police (wife) seems to think it's hilarious to have a nose full of this ass.

The odor has penetrated the sober people. They are running for their lives. I have been designated responsible for the well being of anyone able to comprehend this.

The fortification is getting crucified. There are just too many of them. We will shortly be overrun by an existence responsible for nose boogers. The boogers invade the finger, then, soon the brain.

DON'T be a booger Busch!

1.42/5  rDev -27.2%

Looks somewhat like beer. Light yellow and has a bit of head if it is poured. Smells like corn and pale malt with a hint of alcohol. Feels pretty smooth due to low carbonation, but the taste is not impressive.

It tastes like watered down paint thinner. The alcohol, remnants of corn, and unpleasant byproducts of yeast come through when the beer is both ice cold and slightly cold. It's not heavy at all, but the tastes that are present are pretty gross.

All around worse than Bud Light while aiming to be the same thing. Choose Coors Light or PBR over this if you want a cheap/light beer

1.43/5  rDev -26.7%

12oz can.

It pains me to remember how many of these I drank in high school. Even then, I never much cared for the taste, but I figured I'd take a trip back to my roots to actually rate it, since it was abundant at my family's Christmas. Some family members probably think I'm an asshole for drinking beer out of a glass, while they insist that this is the best beer on the planet..but to each his own.

Ridiculously clear..nearly colorless, pale yellow. Grassy aroma...grains and an offensive metallic presence. The taste & mouthfeel are so thin and nearly nonexistant.. I know it's a bit cliche, but this really is beer flavored water. I tried to review with an open mind, I really did. But when comparing this to even mediocre craft brews, this offering isn't even in the same sport, let alone the same league. There are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people that will insist on drinking this their entire life..I'm just glad I'm not one of them.

1.45/5  rDev -25.6%

a- busch light is just a typical example of an american adjunct. diluted urine appearance with a lot of head if poured wrong that lasts a while and leaves patchy lacing.
s- not really a smell to it, more of a sense of what could be a corny malty scent
t- tastes kinda like diluted flat soda, really corn syrupy and bland, watery
d- it goes down no problem which makes this just another beer for getting hammered quick and cheap

1.48/5  rDev -24.1%

I really tried to review this with an open mind, honestly I did. I maybe even tried to hard to find things I enjoyed about this beer, but I still couldn't find them. Beer pours a yellowish color, with a decent but not really attractive head. Smell is of alcohol and straw. Tastes a bit like wet straw, alcohol is present, weird in a 3.2 beer. Mouthfeel is watery and a lot of people give this a high drinkability, but I didn't really enjoy this going down. This is for a party of disrespecting beer, because nobody who respects it would drink this with intentions to enjoy.

1.48/5  rDev -24.1%

Poor beer, the same thing that milwaukee best, the same image, at last i try with american fast food; poor lacing, much grains in its flavor, sugar of corn and rice off course is present in its mouthfeel; the worst for a beer is the industrialized production; bitter and yellow beer; this style is not for me; recommended 40%

1.48/5  rDev -24.1%

Some jackass left a case of this in my fridge after a party.

Very pale yellow body with no head.

Smells of cooked corn (DMS) and little else.

What flavor there is is stale corn. With a stale corn aftertaste.

Carbonation is about average for the style.

Just an awful, awful beer. Even within the light macro lager category there are much better examples of the style.

1.49/5  rDev -23.6%

pours a crystal clear straw color with a couple fingers of white head.

aroma is of lightly sweet pale malts with a stale grainy base. little else.

taste is the same as the aroma, with a touch of a cornlike character.

mouthfeel is watery.

drinkability is bad. this brew has little flavor, and what flavor it does have takes away from the watery character. not recommended.

1.5/5  rDev -23.1%

Beer spilled in water yellow. Straw is too dark of a description. Smell. Old garbage.

Taste, a little sweet corn syrup feel. A few hops may have fallen into a 5000bbl batch. Kinda crisp. Mouthfeel, yeah. Not much. Could be used to probably rehydrate someone. Alcohol is low enough you can drink a ton of these and brag about it, not realizing you're bragging about drinking crappy diet beer w/o much alcohol.

Busch Light from Anheuser-Busch