Natural Light | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Reviews: 534 | Ratings: 2,074
1.3/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a can into a pilsner glass

A - Poured a yellow gold. Had a big frothy two finger head that fell to a paper thin ring of bubbles in about 15 seconds. Head is completely gone half way down the glass. No lacing.

S - Very strong smell of cereal adjuncts and some mustyness. Not inviting.

T - A little bit of cereal taste up front followed by a sour and adjunct-full body. This beer finishes with a sickly sweet corn-mash flavor, and leaves a rancid cereal aftertaste that seems to be imploring you not to take another sip. Overall, taste is weak which is good considering how bad the it is.

M - Just like carbonated water

D - I traded a PBR to one of my brothers for one of these so I could review it. People in the house go through this stuff like crazy on the weekends, so I figured trading was better than buying a whole case of this crap. I remember drinking this as a freshman when I first came to school and thinking that it wasn't half bad... my how my taste has evolved. Even at less than 50 cents a can I wouldn't buy this, they'd need to pay me to drink it.... lots

1.3/5  rDev -28.6%

On tap at the last keg party i went to. Palest of yellows Natural light looks as if someone took half a pint of beer and half a pint of water and mixed them together. The smell was that of corn and slight metallic hints. It tastes thin and crisp but almost no flavor, totally bland, ugh. Never again.

1.29/5  rDev -29.1%

What can I say about this beer? If its all you got then go ahead and drink it, otherwise I wouldnt purchase this beer.

A-Looks like spring water

S-Doesnt make you gag, but nothing great

T-Terrible, absolutely terrible

M- Bubbly and overpowering

D- Its a last resort beer

1.28/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

The last time I had a Natty Light, I was trying to bounce a ping pong ball into a red Solo cup at the other end of the table. Natty Light is one of those beers that you drink because it's super cheap. It tastes like water that's been filtered through an old, rusty pipe. Nobody enjoys it, nobody likes it. They drink it because it goes down like Aquafina and they're still technically drinking "beer". But this is far from beer.

So pale of a straw color that it might as well be clear. Mild chill haze. No aroma... Oh, wait... I think I'm getting something... Smells like metal and corn. My favorite. Tastes a little like metal and corn, too. Very grainy and watery. It isn't so much offensive as it is basically nonexistent by any "beer" related metrics. Very nearly no smell, taste, color, and the mouth feel is akin to tap water with some carbonation. Overall, I'd suggest going to bed thirsty before wasting your time and money on this stuff. Yuck.

look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This is, in my opinion, the epitome of a college party beer. It's cheap and lacking in a lot of what is needed to be a quality beer. I really don't have anything positive to say, so I'll end it here.

1.28/5  rDev -29.7%

Had this in an Old Chicago as a humorous way to mark a halfway point in their "World Beer Tour". Needless to say, this one can will be the ONLY one I ever drink. While I can enjoy cheap beer for what it is, there is almost no taste at all to this beer. It's as if rancid water was shown a picture of Coors/Bud/Miller light and told to try and imitate it, and it failed miserably. Very very bad beer, and even an insult to "cheap beer"....

1.28/5  rDev -29.7%

Welcome everyone to the College Light Invitational! In this meet, four watered down beers meet their match to decide which one of these budget light beer should be the choice at frat parties. Natty Light, High Life Light, Keystone Light, and cheap import Tecate Light represent the pool in this competition. Natty Light leads it off...

Oh and one other thing, the gimmick for the College Light Invite involves a seperate 7 ounce glass. Why you ask? I'm going to take shots of each beer in that glass to guesstimate each ones "chuggability" (similar to the "buzzability" in the College Invite a few months ago). I'm going to time each shot from each beer, and if it doesn't come out of my mouth, it will get a score from 1 to 5. With that said, let me pop the top of Natty Light and let's get the college party started:

I couldn't tell if this was beer or watery ginger ale at first. I must be the first consumer of Natty Light in months to pour his sample into a clear glass. A sizeable head rises from the clear, colorless body, and crackles slowly within seconds. Smell is extremely vague, a touch of sweet corn, and that's it. The taste, as expected, is very watery. Odd fermented corn flavor exists in this one too, just like in the more lethal Natty Ice. It blankets on the palate for too long, making it very unpleasant. Wow, I'm having second thought about taking a long 7 ounce shot of this, it's hard enough to keep a straight face after each sip.

Now I will attempt to chug this vile liquid from the 7 ounce glass. Ok, here goes... run away! I spat it out when I tried. So you guess it, Natty Light's chuggability rating receives a N/A, incomplete. Funny, I couldn't even get buzzed off Natty Ice because it was so awful, I couldn't finish it, which also received an incomplete in the College Invite. I guess apples don't fall far from the tree.

Natty Light has sunk my experience on BA to new lows. After this experience, I had to break out a bottle of EKU 28 to ease the pain. So will Miller High Life Light be enough to erase the bad memory from tonight? Find out tomorrow night, the second part of the College Light Invitational.

1.28/5  rDev -29.7%

ok this is by far one of the worst beers that I have ever had. I am in college so i end up having it a lot. it is disgusting. it has no taste whatsoever. it is completely pale when poured into a glass, (yes, i poured it into a glass). smells like beer water, which is gross. the only good thing about it is that you can drink a ton of it at one time. over all, awful though

Tallboy can,

A: Pours a transparent yellow with a fizzy white head with poor retention, very light soapy lace.

S: Carbonic acid, mild mild grain notes.

T: When I first had this I remarked it's the first beer I ever had that didn't taste like anything. 5 years later it still doesn't. Seltzer water is the main flavour profile, with a infinitesimally small note of malt flavour. Not off-putting, just nothing there.

M: Very light-bodied, forced carbonation, like soda water.

D: It claims to be a pilsner on the label, so I will review it as such. Boring and insipid. I can see why folks go for this just trying to get a buzz; it's so innocuous because it's basically alcoholic seltzer water.

1.27/5  rDev -30.2%

I think we can all agree that this beer only has one purpose... Getting hammered. I really think it's only good use is for beer pong or drinking games. Again, this is only a good choice if you're looking to drink beer in large quantities. Do not food pair this beer.

1.27/5  rDev -30.2%

Hmm, Beer Advocate wouldn't let me choose beer bong as a serving type...just kidding, sort of. Actually...poured from a keg into our beer pitcher and thereafter into my solo cup for college pubnite...solo cup promptly has a keg cap dropped in it and I proceed to chug the first of a number of these for the evening. As much as Natty may have tried, it didn't keep me from graduating with flying colors this past May...though I should say Natty may have resulted in a number of other colors flying out of me at various times over the years...

Appearance- Pale, pale, pale jaundiced yellow as it slides its way out of the tap into our pitcher. Is this beer or watery-ass lemonade? Surprisingly it pours with about four fingers of massive, quickly dying head into our pitcher. Oh wait...this isn't surprising because this keg is self serve and no-one apparently knows not to over-pump the keg...regardless, the head is gone almost as soon as it appears, so maybe it was just a figment of my imagination anyway.

Smell- Mmmm, mmmm, smells like a big handful of corn and sweaty pocket change. Metal and adjunct is all I really get from the nose on this beast. Can't say I like it, but can't really say it has much a smell at all to be honest.

Taste- So, when I was a child I lived on a farm in the midwest and we had our own well. One time after coming back from vacation in the summer, the well had settled with a lot of iron and the water was hard as hell and tasted like it has been soaking in copper pennies. If you took that water, carbonated it, tossed in some lead paint chips, and added some cheap alcohol, that's pretty much Natty. Seriously though, this beer is watery and its primary flavors when they actually show through are corn, adjunct, metal, and an odd sickly sweetness. Bleh.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability-Well, if you like bad tasting carbonated water, then this is drinkable as anything else I guess...thin, nonexistent body and extremely high carbonation. One of the worst ways to get drunk...I'm glad I found BA by my sophomore year in college...

Overall, there's really no reason to drink this beer except to get drunk. And even at that, there are other better macros at the same price scale. Hope to never drink this beer again.

1.26/5  rDev -30.8%

Here's another non-biased view on yet another of the trailer park classics brew. My last was Natty Ice, it actually halfway decent regarding alcohol content and taste. So I decided to pick this up at CVS for $5 A 12'er. I usually don't buy light beer, but this was a new brand.

Poured yellow clear with 1/4 inch head and no lacing, appeared very watery. Taste was aluminum and water, very boring. No smell, none, except that of aluminum. Mouthfeel was like club soda with a hint of beer. You're going to piss 20 times before you're drunk.

Overall this beer ranks at the bottom 1%. The worst I've had besides Lacrosse Light. I would buy Natty Ice over this anyday, dont waste your time.

1.26/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured into a plastic cup while playing beer pong.

As a general rule, I only play beer pong with good beer. The exception was this. I had heard so many awful things that I just had to try it. Appearance is light, no head or lacing. Smells barely of corn and cereal. Taste is same. No flavor. Mouthfeel is light crisp.

Overall: Never again.

1.26/5  rDev -30.8%

Pale yellow body, no head. Aroma? What aroma? Watery cabbage flavor with a touch of metallic bitterness. Thin, watery feel; dry finish.

Piss poor appearance, aroma like tap water, disagreeable taste for beer. Yep. This is a poor excuse for beer. I pity those who drink this swill in order to minimize calories. There are so many other fine tasting, low calorie beers out there. I just can't fathom why anyone would opt for this loser brew when there are plenty of tasty alternatives.

1.25/5  rDev -31.3%

Wow, I can't imagine anyone drinking this for the flavor because there is none. Horrible, but still not as bad as Corona or Bud for the simple fact that the carbonation overpowers any Beer flavor at all.

A: Not to be cliche but piss color. No lacing and a microscopic amount of head.

S: I really had a hard time smelling anything. Aluminum and faint barley.

T: The carbonation dominates the flavor of the beer completely. Bitter taste of hops and barley, no depth or real beer flavor at all. It tastes like soda water and Bud Light.

M: Once again, the carbonation leaves a fizzy feeling on your tongue, almost like after drinking really fresh cold Diet Coke.

D: I give it a 2 for the simple reason that the carbonation hides most of the flavor of the beer, thus slightly easier to chug down. I would still probably gag if I had to drink more of that crap though. Great beer if you want to get wasted.

1.25/5  rDev -31.3%

Natural Light is one of those beers thats associated with any college party in my general area simply because its usually one of the cheapest if not the cheapest cases of beer you can buy.

Pouring the beer either from a bottle or tap gives a slight, maybe 1cm head for about 1 minute before it fades into a rather urine looking substance.

It simply looks like piss, and its taste and mouthfeel are also probably quite similar to piss. Its only feature is a nonexistant smell, which I cannot decide is a benefit or detriment to its overall rating.

Stay far, far away from this liquid..

1.25/5  rDev -31.3%

Went to a friends house to watch football last night and he had a case of this. Never had one before and I never will again. The worst swill I've ever put in my body. It is reminiscent of a drink that you drank most of but there's a few sips at the bottom mixed with the ice water and you try to drink that watery crap. I could barely finish the can and could not drink another until I had 4 16oz of PBR. It was that bad. The color really looks like faint yellow piss, what head the swill has flattens in seconds, the immediate taste is watery beer and the lingering flavors are of aluminum and morning breath. I wouldn't touch this ever again willingly.

1.25/5  rDev -31.3%

I recently, prior to a party, saw a case of this for sale at an outrageously low amount of money. So I rationally thought that what the hell, it's a cheap macro lager - what could be so bad about it?

I'm writing this to let you know this is bad. It tastes like a generic macro lager left out for a few days. The carbonation is so flat, and the mouthfeel so light, that this just feels like slightly worsened dish water. This is not the worst beer I've had, but it's undoubtedly the worst light lager I've consumed - and probably the worst beer under 7% I've had.

1.25/5  rDev -31.3%

Wow, I cant believe I used to drink kegs of this at college parties.

A- Looked like someone pissed in a cup who drank a lot of club soda

S- It smells like old flat beer without any flavor

T- Watery with a hint of piss and stale grain, this beer tastes fake

M- Highly carbonated and bubbly

D- Used to drink a lot but I don't know how I did it. Maybe that's why I used hate beer

1.25/5  rDev -31.3%

If you drink this, you are purely intending to get inebriated. As a college student, I see this a lot; but I cannot drink it. It's very easy to drink, however. But it's basically water. I don't think A-B intended it to be a good brew, just to be drank in mass consumption.

1.25/5  rDev -31.3%

To be quite honest, I haven't had this beer in a long, long time. However, I can assure you that the taste is seared into my taste buds and brain tissue as though a red hot brand had been applied to those areas.

The drink of choice amongst college students, primarily because a 24 pack could be had for the change found in most fraternity common area couches.

A weird corn/dirt aftertaste, carbonated to the hilt, and a mouthfeel and consistency that resembles water. So. Bad. Only the truly legendary Gluek Ice stands out more clear in my mind as an example of a terrible macro lager.

But, so many good memories. . .

1.24/5  rDev -31.9%

A: light straw that looks like vegetable water that previous embraced a thick artichoke, thin and watery with urine notes

S: a cloying corn sweetness, with notes of some mild plastics and/or copper

T: It is like evian with drop of malt extract added, very light and with a mild vegetable finish on the palate

D: This beer soars in this aspect in the regard that it will take you about 4 of these to get you anywhere near a respectable beer will make you feel, with the offset being taste, embarrassment, and latent shame in the endeavor

M: incredibly light and it is forgotten before it is swallowed. it serves a purpose and I have outlived this purpose and this beer is of little utility to me.

1.24/5  rDev -31.9%

On tap in a shaker pint. Ordered on a whim when I saw it was on special for a dollar.

Pours out exceedingly pale, with a wispy white head that was dying even as the server was walking it over to me. It disappears altogether very quickly, leaving something that looks like a glass of white grape juice. No lacing at all.

Perhaps I should be thankful there isn't a wonderful head to carry the aromas skyward, because they aren't exactly a treat for the nose. Watered down cooked mixed vegetables with a hint of sweet cereal grains.

Speaking of watered down, the taste of this "beer" is ridiculous. Watery with some vague sweet grain, perhaps a bit of cooked corn, a dash of skunkiness. Let it warm up at your peril, because it only gets worse from there.

If ever there was a beer in need of vigorous carbonation, this is the one. Sadly, it's damned near flat as a pancake by the time I've choked down half the glass.

I'm not one to bash on all fizzy yellow beers just because (see my reviews of Hamm's and Schlitz), but this stuff was wretched. When I told Ryan011235 I thought I paid $0.90 too much, his response was, "they should have paid YOU a dollar". That's probably the only way I'd ever drink it again.

1.23/5  rDev -32.4%

Drank this straight from the can I was given (no i didn't buy it). Tastes metallic and grainy. Doesn't do a lot for the tastebuds. The carbonation is more overpowering than the flavor. It's just swill anyway, another I would say "don't buy" to.

1.22/5  rDev -33%

A-the beer has no head, no lacing, piss color, carbonation bubbles

S-smells like metal

T-extremely watery, somewhat easy to drink, carbonated

M-somewhat carbonated, feels like water

This beer is horrible. Just as bad as Bud Light. Very easy to take considering it's like water, but with an awful taste.

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch