Natural Light | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Reviews: 532 | Ratings: 2,066
1.55/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

You cannot consider this beer. I will not do any such thing. Just nasty, frat endorsed beer. I guess people by it for the price? Yet if you respect beer...pass this up.
Just like its peers Bud light and Coors light, there is no smell. No color. No taste. Just do everyone a favor, and let the college kids have this one (even though I myself am in college).

2.4/5  rDev +31.9%

I'm not sure if this beer even deserves a review but since it is a staple in my life as a college student, here goes nothing.

Absolutely nothing special about the appearance of Natty Light. It's a pale yellow suggesting it's watered down nature with a good finger width white head.

Sniff all you want, but not much with arrive in the nostrils, a little bit of hops but nothing to get excited about.

As far as taste is concerned, you get what you pay for, and at $13 a 30 pack, you're not getting much in the taste realm. However, this beer is perfect for a college house party where a taste is outweighed by sheer volume desired.

When you swig this beer, theres a decent amount of carbonation which does tingle the pallet a little and can occassionally interfere with overall ability to drink it.

I gave this beer a 3 for drinkability simply because it's quite easy to end up drinking a great amount of this beer, however I woud not touch this stuff outside the college scene, and even at college, it's only a party and game beer.

1.33/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

A-Fizzy, light, and yellow in color. Has tons of bubbles/carbonation and it is very clear.

S-Very watery smell.

T-Probably the most watery beer I have ever tasted.

M-Still watery...

Overall- Super light, tastes almost like a glass of water that someone accidentally spilled a little bit of their beer into. Not good at all.

2.28/5  rDev +25.3%

ok, so this is my first review on the site, and being a college student i thought i should use the one beer that is most dear to me. I know everyone trashes this beer, and no its not a good beer, but when pitchers are $2.50 you can't pass it up. Very pale, clear in color, rank smell(should definately keep it in the can so you don't get a nosefull), and it tastes like water. However, it also goes down like water and is perfect for when drinking a lot or on hot days, i think i could take a water bottle of it when i run. so overall no its not a beer i'd crack open when i'm in the mood for a beer, but occasionally for the price its hard to beat.

1.3/5  rDev -28.6%

I will review this much the same way I reviewed Bud Light in the sense that i will not waste time with a proper rating. This is a poor college student beer. Of all the poor college student beer's it is the poorest. When you have ten bucks left in your bank account and just failed a test, this is your beer. When you are going to a party and you are already hammered, this is your beer. Under any other circumstances avoid it.

1.28/5  rDev -29.7%

ok this is by far one of the worst beers that I have ever had. I am in college so i end up having it a lot. it is disgusting. it has no taste whatsoever. it is completely pale when poured into a glass, (yes, i poured it into a glass). smells like beer water, which is gross. the only good thing about it is that you can drink a ton of it at one time. over all, awful though

1.82/5  rDev 0%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Considering my proximity to the brewery, as well as the intensive distribution of this beer, I had the good fortune of selecting from a wide variety of serving options. Long necks, 12oz cans, 40oz screw tops, stubby bottles, tall boys, as well as draft were all available within walking distance of my home, but I felt rather keen to experience this beer in all its glory.

I soon found myself in the checkout line at a high traffic gas station in one of the more undesirable parts of a bustling college town waiting to pay for a luke warm, likely expired tuna salad sandwhich, a stale bag of corn chips, and, of course, a natty tall boy, which although normally 24oz, was this time 25oz, thanks to the good people at Anheuser-Busch.

And now, my fellow psuedo-intellectuals, we shall sit atop our high horses and snicker downward upon the lowly ass that is Natural Light.

A: Of course, I had the heart to pour this beer into a frosty pint glass; after all, I am not entirely cruel. The head was shockingly soapy, leaving a ridiculous amount of lacing for a beer in this category. No, wait, it's not lace, they're just ice crystals. The beer is freezing on the frosty glass (refreshing indeed...). The color is extremely pale and the opacity is next to none. I would not be surprised in the slightest if I could see clean through a fucking shark tank full of the stuff. However, this style is meant to be crisp and rejuvenating, and gravity tends to demean such qualities.

S: The smell hits the nose like a cool breeze barreling through the basement of a frathouse in the middle of winter on a particularly brisk morning after a party at the end of which, the last man standing forgot to shut the door before passing out cuddling his funnel and hose. Low hop character, and even lower malt presence attempt to mask the mineral-like hallmarks of a mass produced, forced carbonated beer.

T: I'm not going to bitch about the taste here. As far as this component of the review goes, less is more. This beer is purposefully bland so that it may appeal to the most consumers possible. I once attended a lecture by a McDonald's executive, during which he briefly discussed the amount of research that goes into making a consumable product "appetizingly bland" so that it could be consumed more often without becoming unappealing. In our world, fellow hopheads, this is known as palate fatigue. You wouldn't buy a 30 rack of barleywine for the same reason you wouldn't bring a single 12oz bottle of Natty to a cheese pairing.
The taste is reminiscent of a lager, and is very, very drinkable. "Lawnmower beer" as it were. Overall, I'd go as far as to say that when properly chilled, the taste is the redeeming feature of this beer.

M: Like tonic water, but less so. It fits the taste, but leaves want of more, which probably adds to the drinkability and the ability to pound an entire twelve pack and not feel completely disgusted by yourself.

O: I paid $1.39 for 25oz of easy drinking, low taste beer that I could slam quickly and not feel full and sleepy and that's what I got. If you refuse to drink this beer out of sheer snobbery, just remember that it has its place. I drank it, it went down easy, I feel slightly refreshed and not at all full. Well done, Natural Light. You're not terrible.

3.5/5  rDev +92.3%

Best of the light beers so I will rate it as such. My reasoning for why I say best of the light beers: They are all awful so this one doesn't even try to be a beer-it's easy to drink and it's cheap. So in this context I really don't understand the low ratings.

Best bang for your buck if you are on a tight budget.

1.1/5  rDev -39.6%

First off I would like to say. OH! I have consumed more of this beer by volume than any other (Football Weekends, generic house parties etc.). Never once did I think, "this is good". My usually thought was, "well, it's a free keg, why not". While tapped keg sitting in a bucket of ice on someone's porch is the most common arangement. I have also had this from the can, and I once saw a bottle, but avoided it like the plauge.

Tapped keg, red plastic party glass (For the record I never used a blue one).

Appearance: Watery, light yellow.

Smell: Awful, zero noise, with chemical and metallic undertones.

Taste: Absolutely terrible, the second worst beer I have ever drank, the only thing redeeming is if it gets really really cold, you can drink it without thinking about it.

Mouth Feel: Pure carbonation at first, this beer much have more CO2 in it than the exhaust system of a Hummer. By the end of the glass, absolutely flat.

Drinkability: Better than gasoline, but at 4.2% really avoid it unless it is free.

2.32/5  rDev +27.5%

It's a rough beer to say the least, but it has its purpose in the beer market. It's an economy brand, not very artful or focussed on delivering the ultimate taste experience.

For me, Natty Light was not a part of my life after I graduated from college as my budget for beer could be increased after that time.

I don't think anyone honest will repesent this as a great tasting beer. It's brewed and priced to get beer into the hands of people who want to be refreshed and feel good but conserve funds for things they prioritize more highly.

1.9/5  rDev +4.4%

It tastes like carbonated water with a little beer flavoring added. The metal taste from the can actually enhances the taste. It tastes even worse when poured into a glass because the aluminum flavor is taken away. This beer is the very definition of cheap swill.

3.06/5  rDev +68.1%

Good ol' college standby. I spent many of nights in college doing 12oz. curls of this schwill. It's drinkability is superb because it tastes like water. As far as standards, this one rates low, but nostalgia and the many memorable nights and football games I spent with my natty I cannot talk bad about this beer. Exceptional tailgating beer

1.15/5  rDev -36.8%

Oh man. I just had to put this one in here. Every beer reviewer has to at least once try the king of bad beers, Natural Light.

Take a gander at this one, folks -- you can hardly even tell it has a colour. It resembles a drop of real beer in a can of water. I've heard it has a head, but I haven't seen one without shaking the can first. If anything deserves a 1, this has to be it. I almost want to deny to myself that there can be worse.

It has the cooked-excrement aroma of loose, damp soil evaporating in midday heat after a morning's rain. It's not quite wretch-worthy, but it's unpleasant. You can also smell some of the alcohol, which doesn't bode well.

The flavour, of course, is gold-medal stuff. Nowhere before have I had a beer that tasted like such rot dissolved in seltzer water and spiked with a shot of cheap vodka. But praise be to Him for making the atrociousness of this beer so weak and watery. You can hardly taste it, but what you can taste is so horribly, painfully bad that you're perfectly happy not to. If ignorance is bliss, I am in an enlightened hell with this beer.

Speaking of watery, that's all you'll get for a mouthfeel. Carbonated water. But I'd rather just drink carbonated water myself, and I don't even like carbonated water (curse you, Perrier!). I guess you could drink this if you were already drunk or trying oh-so-desperately to get there, but it's quicker, cheaper, and less painful to just throw back a few shots of rotgut.

Avoid like the plague.

1.53/5  rDev -15.9%

Ugh, I would choose a lot over this beer. I tried to drink it while I was fishing and was not impressed with it. It is definitely drinkable but has a pretty nasty after taste. It does have potential because it goes has decent drinkability and a crisp bite to it. Definitely not the first beer I would ever grab, but not the last.

1.41/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured from a 24 oz can into 16 oz pint glass. Left the remaining 8oz in the can and gave to my roomie.

Sight: Straw-colored and much effervescence. A slight head forms but quickly dissipates. Looks pretty watery.

Smell: Corn flakes and pennies. I usually drink beer from bottles, maybe it's from the can? I'm not sure.

Taste: This is why I never drank in high school. Thank the lord I never acquired this taste. It's faint, sour, and rides on heavy carbonation. If I concentrate I taste some grains, corn or maybe barley, not sure. My mind doesn't want to swallow it. The off-taste, combined with the near-freezing temperature gives me a stomachache.

Mouthfeel: Watery comes to mind immediately. Lacking any substance.

Drinkability: Unlike many, I could never drink more than four regular cans, even when I was desperate.

Overall: Not even in my top three of American adjunct lagers, but this swill is cheap. If you love this beer, keep drinking it. However, if something inside you yearns for adventure, stop by your local gettin' place and drop $8 on a well-reviewed 6-pack.

2.15/5  rDev +18.1%

...First off, this is a drunk review, and yes i'm trying hard to type correctly.(thank you spell check)

A: straight up light yellow, and i mean light yellow..you can see the carbonation.

S: I dont know how to explain the smell, only that you can somewhat smell shity corn.

T: Ummm, nothing? Maybe a hint of water?

M: Just carbonation, you'll feel nothing else.

D: I could drink this literally all day and feel fine the next morning...I love the drinkability...

This is a great beer for it's purpose, wich is getting drunk and having a good time...For a cheap price, I'd recommend this...forget Corona with a lime, this is the ultimate beach beer.

2.4/5  rDev +31.9%

A- When poured, leaves a thin white head, with a trailing lace. A some what clear yellow color to it.

S- Bland, no strong smells.

T- Watery, and as well as the smell, a bland taste.

M- Have you ever done something that made your mouth feel dry, and all you can think of to drink is a nice tall glass of water?
That's what this is, a some what alcoholic water.

D- This is a beer that anyone could honestly drink. There is no worry here that in drinking to many of these you'll get "drunk" at least for me, this is pretty much just a "spiced up" glass of water.
Nothing to it.

1.87/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This beer is horrible! If you are familiar with Natural Ice (just as bad) then you should know that this is just a more dull and watered down version of that. The 'Light' part of this beer just made the 'Ice' version a lot worse. I wouldn't suggest and of the Natural beers because they are not well brewed. The cans are very boring and unattractive as well.

A: An unhealthy pale urine-like color with soda fizz: barely pale yellow with some brown tones. If you ever pee like this, see a doctor.

S: Almost non-existent, as close to a beer smell as grape coolaid is to grape.

T: If it were just weak, that would be one thing, this actually tastes bad.

M: More watery than a glass of water.

D: If you can stomach the taste, I guess you could drink quite a few

1.53/5  rDev -15.9%

Piss yellow with a 11/2 in head that quickly disappears with hardly a trace. An astringent odor of cereal with a noticeable absence of malt. Much worse than Bud regular, my benchmark of poor beers. If you need a cheap light beer, drink Stroh's. They use malt. My high score on drinkability is not for palatability. It just goes down fast. The faster the better.

1.45/5  rDev -20.3%

Everytime I visit my brother, his mini fridge on the back porch is fully stocked with this in 16ozers. He neatly faces them so all the label are lined up nice and neat(his house and porch on the other hand are trashed, usually!) Yes he takes pride in his Redneck lifestyle and it shows in the things that are important to him.
With that said, her is my rating:
A...a very diluted urine yellow with tiny head
S...soapy water
T...sweet, soapy water
M...light bubbly
D...OK, when sitting on my bro's back porch or fishing in his john boat but only if the Natties are soaking in an ice bath.

2.71/5  rDev +48.9%

I gave this beer the rating I did because;

1) The appearance mirrors the taste. Which is to say, the beer looks just like you'd expect it to taste.

2) The smell is barely noticable. But that's fine for a light Pilsner beer.

3) Taste; Good becaue the manufacture claims it's smooth and that's exactly what it is.

3) Mouth feel, smooth. That's what they claim. It goes down real easy.

If your looking for an alternative to Miller Lite and want something with less taste and lots of smoothness, this is it. Some guy reviewed this and said something like it's a good beer for a hot summer night. I would agree.

1.25/5  rDev -31.3%

Wow, I can't imagine anyone drinking this for the flavor because there is none. Horrible, but still not as bad as Corona or Bud for the simple fact that the carbonation overpowers any Beer flavor at all.

A: Not to be cliche but piss color. No lacing and a microscopic amount of head.

S: I really had a hard time smelling anything. Aluminum and faint barley.

T: The carbonation dominates the flavor of the beer completely. Bitter taste of hops and barley, no depth or real beer flavor at all. It tastes like soda water and Bud Light.

M: Once again, the carbonation leaves a fizzy feeling on your tongue, almost like after drinking really fresh cold Diet Coke.

D: I give it a 2 for the simple reason that the carbonation hides most of the flavor of the beer, thus slightly easier to chug down. I would still probably gag if I had to drink more of that crap though. Great beer if you want to get wasted.

1.05/5  rDev -42.3%

Okay, apparently they decided they needed a "light" version of their already rancid beer. I'm just repeating what everyone else has said, but this could possible be the worst tasting piss water in existence. I mean, thats what I thought it was. Then someone told me that I was drinking beer and I was like "HOLY SHIT?"

Seriously though, this is just as bad as Busch Light and Corona Light. They all reek of fermenting cereal grains and rat shit, and its actually a wonder why they taste like water and not sewage.

4.5/5  rDev +147.3%

This, along with keystone light are my go to beers. Being unemployed at the moment, I have resigned myself to drinking beer.. being that I start at about 10 am, and pace myself through the day, natural light is a GREAT beer to do it with. I can slowly drink through the day, and not get drunk, but enjoy the great taste of the beer itself. I don't buy it that often, because my store stocks keystone and natty light both in 30 pk form for $11.99 each, and given my choice I'd rather buy keystone, but have no problems buying natty when keystone is not available. IMHO, this is a great light beer, and like one other review said, if you have to go light, why not do it on the cheap??
Scott