Natural Light | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Reviews: 533 | Ratings: 2,079
4.5/5  rDev +147.3%

This, along with keystone light are my go to beers. Being unemployed at the moment, I have resigned myself to drinking beer.. being that I start at about 10 am, and pace myself through the day, natural light is a GREAT beer to do it with. I can slowly drink through the day, and not get drunk, but enjoy the great taste of the beer itself. I don't buy it that often, because my store stocks keystone and natty light both in 30 pk form for $11.99 each, and given my choice I'd rather buy keystone, but have no problems buying natty when keystone is not available. IMHO, this is a great light beer, and like one other review said, if you have to go light, why not do it on the cheap??
Scott

2.38/5  rDev +30.8%

Oh Natty Light...

No sense in describing this beer, as most everyone on here has had it. All that can be said about this beer is...College parties

You can easily drink this beer all night and not feel the true effects until the next morning.

For it's price it is a decent beer, but spend about $3 more and you can make a much better purchase.

2.38/5  rDev +30.8%

The head on this beer is large, but thin. The beer looks like yellow water or pee (being honest). Well carbonated, maybe too much. The smell is a yeasty cereal grain smell. The taste is like lemon water. I really cant taste malt or hops. This beer is a product of commercialism and capitalism changing the palate of beer drinkers, and the history of brewing. That being said I have drank the hell out of natural light in college and still can. This is not a good beer, but you have to give Anheuser/Busch credit for brewing a beer that's over 4% that taste like water, and 10 dollars a case, that has to give them a five on drink ability. Drinking waters a 5 for on drink ability.

1.68/5  rDev -7.7%

A- Very light gold, a lot of carbonation. One finger head that disappears pretty fast.

S- A lot of corn and rice. Not a huge surprise.

T- Not much, there's some corn in there, but it's what you expect from a light adjunct lager.

M- Light bodied and very drinkable. Easy to get blasted on this stuff, no question.

O- I don't hate it, but it's pretty typical for the style. Probably wouldn't ever go out and buy it unless I was trying to get hammered. Actually, Genny Ice might be a better solution there.

1.52/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It tastes like marginally carbonated city tap water with vague undertones of alcohol.

It is a yellowish, translucent color.

It pours mostly headless, and what's there quickly flatlines.

It smells like cheap beer. Unsurprisingly.

My fraternity refused to buy it for parties. It's that bad.

1.43/5  rDev -21.4%

Absolutely awful! Very light appearance and a skunky smell. This beer tastes very watered down and just won't go down for me. I have never been able to drink more then 2 and I don't think I ever will be able to. Out of all the low end beers, this one takes the taco.

1.35/5  rDev -25.8%

So since I am in college, this is my standard beer at 9.99 a 24 pack. I've finally got the courage to review it. Usually I start out with some good beers and go to this, but I always tell myself that I'm drinking water. Appearence is a light straw color and it smells like dirt and cooked rice. There is a huge bubbly head at first that dissapates rapidly. It tastes like water...no hops or malt, just plain gross. The mouthfeel is very thin. I rank this a 2.5 in drinkability because it is comparable to water and makes a GREAT session beer if you don't have much cash. Overall this is a nasty beer...I can't wait til' I get a good paying job...

1.06/5  rDev -41.8%

Yeah I think newcastleme said it for me. This beer has one purpose, to bring to an AA meeting and throw it in middle of the circle and see who wins. No don't do that, but that is all this beer is worth. I had this beer once for beer pong and when it started to get about room temperature; I almost threw up.

2.5/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am going to give this beer a generous 2.5 across the board for the simple fact that it is what fueled my freshman year of college. It has very little taste at all and it is very cheap as well. My friends and I buy case after countless case of this stuff to satisfy are drinking needs when we are broke. I buy the good stuff when I can, but it is nice to know there is always a twelve of natty waiting for me.

4.64/5  rDev +154.9%

When you originate from a country where most beer costs $35 a case (Australia), you can appreciate a drink that can (attempt to) hit the spot (somewhat) and leaves you with extra bucks in your pocket. Natural Light accepts the challenge. When drinking crap beers, I have to believe that no taste at all is better than a shit taste? This brew delivers! When you employ the one in, one out, rotation from the freezer, it can't be beat! I have drunk many of your shitter brands and declare this one to be the gold medal winner at the Special Olympics of beer! True enough, it's competitors harbor some serious disabilities, but "Natty" shines through.
Only 95 calories, for the healthy minded. (I heard Micheal Jordan endorses this beer!) All that said, my hats off to you Natty Light! Despite the fact you had horrible parents (Anheuser/Busch), you rose above your upbringing and delivered dirt cheap, drinkable beer to those who needed it most...all of us!
P.S. Any of you who label it a "Just getting Wasted" beer, should be ashamed of yourselves at 4.2%...unless of course you're venturing into 15+ can territory?!
Take it easy boys and girls!

1.52/5  rDev -16.5%

Easily on my list of worst "beers" ever tried during my college years and that's being kind. If not for college though I may not have tried many things, and I suppose you need to drink through a keg of this to know how good real beer is.

So to the review: is this really a beer? Looks like a water with one tip of a tea bag in it. Smell gets a 1.5 only because it hardly has a smell. The taste of butt, if I knew what that tasted like. The mouthfeel and drinkability are it's highest values because if your overall goal is to get wasted on a summer afternoon in college, then you've arrived at your beer for cheap entertainment.

2.28/5  rDev +25.3%

Okay, respect beer, respect beer, respect...

American style light lager, 12oz. aluminum can. So consider the rating with respect to type.

I offered to help a friend replace a fuel pump in his Explorer and he supplied a cooler full of ice and "Naturals". Hot Alabama afternoon on a concrete driveway. Probably about as good as any other choice of beer. Drank straight from the can and ice cold from the cooler. Take a break, pop one open, drain it, back to work. Never put one down unless it's empty. Not one you'd want at "cellar" temp, let alone driveway temp. You'll make that mistake but once. But, ice cold and on a hot day, not bad. And it was shared with good friends. Which can make any beer a good beer.

Color...beats me, I can't imagine taking the time to pour one of these. I'll have to give it average marks anyway.

Smell...metallic, with a hint of corn and something that could be malt. Maybe out of a bottle would be better.

The taste...well, it was cold and sort of tasted like beer (using a coarse comparison). Crisp finish with no aftertaste. No real metallic notes transfer from the smell. A little on the sweet side, even being light.

Mouthfeel...thin, some carbonation.

My first experience with the Natural was years ago. My sister brought home a six pack and told me help myself. The first one I poured down the sink after the first sip, convinced it was bad. The second one went down behind it. Figured I'd leave the rest for her. That's when I learned about "Light" beer. There is a time and a place for this beer. And if someone else is buying, and the beer is cold, what the hell, I guess I'll have another.

There's 1 reason to buy this beer. The price. I bought a 12 pack of it last night for about 8 bucks.

Pours a very fizzy head and it disappears fast. Extremely clear beer... looks like water with some food coloring. Smells like nothing but maybe some grain. Tastes like nothing but maybe some grain. NO AWFUL AFTERTASTE thou. So it saves itself from an F.

1.22/5  rDev -33%

Natural Light pours like your typical pale lager. The color is straw gold. There was no smell to speak of, none at all. The taste was bland and boring. Honestly, this beer felt like water in my mouth; oh that's right it IS water with food coloring added. My grandmother drinks this beer like its going out of style. She always has a 30 pack of it on hand.

Let's put it this way:

This beer is the definition of AVOID.

It is neon green cat pee.

Simply because it is cheap and convenient does not mean you should even consider this beer.

Full of genetically modified organisms (GMO corn).

Enough said.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

3.18/5  rDev +74.7%

I only buy this when its on sale, and around here it gose on sale quite ofton. i normaly do not drink light beer as have to drink twice as mutch to get the job done. but when working on my mod it is a good beer to have without getting fully hammerd.

it looks like a typical AB light beer and taste like a typical AB light beer. this was the go-to beer for my alcohalic dad who would drink 3 cases of light beer a day. it smells allright and is not unpleasent or pleasent.

1.52/5  rDev -16.5%

You know it is bad when you have to look at the can again to make sure you are drinking beer. This is a very sharply carbonated beer that reminds me of alka-seltzer. Relatively shallow flavor that resembles cornflakes, and kinda a pale finish, not too much after-taste. There really isn't too much to say for taste because it just plain lacks it.

I don't know why this beer is popular on college campuses when there are cheaper beers out there that taste better.

1.36/5  rDev -25.3%

Had a can last night at a party, only brew they had. I've had this beer before but never has it tasted so bad. After treating myself with better beers, Sam Adams, Harpoon, etc., this "Natty" was deplorable. I was mad at myself for not brining my own and made a comment to my friend about it...he told me I shouldn't complain because it was free. Truth. I will never buy this beer and only drink it as a last resort to be social.

A: 12 oz can, not worth a pour.

S: None?

T: Not much, seltzer water

M: Seltzer water, extremely carbonated

D: Putting these beers away is not a problem but it is hardly an enjoyable experience.

1.08/5  rDev -40.7%

This is piss-poor stuff. Easily my most forgettable beer experience. Anecdote: some friends and I were filming a student film and needed a can as a prop. All we had was a handful of change, so we bought one 23 oz. can of Natty Light. It was a dry campus, so the can to be empty since we were filming outside. No one wanted to drink it before we got back to campus, so we dumped it out in the parking lot of the grocery store. THAT’S HOW BAD IT IS.

I don’t understand the "this beer does its job" comments. Yeah it’s cheap, but if what you want is to get drunk, you can get a lot more hooch on the dollar with cheap whiskey.

1.63/5  rDev -10.4%

The redeeming characteristic of this beer is not that it has good qualities but rather the lack of bad qualities or possibly the lack of any qualities.
This is the only BMC light that doesn't give me a headache or digestive upset, You can slam down a 12er on a hot summer day and bounce right up and get to work the next morning. Other than that there is not much positive to say.

1.06/5  rDev -41.8%

Our neighbor, who turns down beer that's "beery beer," drinks this stuff when he's running out of money at the end of the month.

I couldn't actually see it, since it was in a can, so I don't know what the appearance is, so I gave it a 2 instead of a 1. If it were mindblowingly delicious, it would have an appearance of 5 with a vivacious straw-color and a luminescent transparency. Appearance doesn't mean squat anyway.

Tastes like metal, smells like metal, what more do you want?

2.81/5  rDev +54.4%

This is a college kid's beer. I drank this all the time in college. It was cheap and all I could afford. I use to not be able to stand it at all, but after drinking so much of it I got use to it. This is just a nothing special beer. If you want a cheap beer to get drunk and play drinking games, this is a perfect beer.

1.72/5  rDev -5.5%

Sweet Lord this beer is terrible. I mean, honest to God, the only thing Natty Light has going for it is the fact that it is not Natty Ice. It tastes awful, looks awful, smells awful, and is about as trashy as you can get. The reason I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability is that you can pound them easy due to the lack of taste. I kill ten or so of these per night on weekends, but only because that is what is available. God this beer is bad.

Note: Drinking this beer in a bottle can be equated to wearing a tuxedo t-shirt. You are trying to be formal, but really you're there to get drunk.

2.2/5  rDev +20.9%

drank one from can, poured other into pint glass

Last night, some friends came over and brought some Natty Light. I do not normally drink beer as horrible as Natty, but when there's free beer around, I take advantage. I hadn't taken a sip of Natty in years, so here's my impressions from last night:

A: Carbonation was immense, like sprite. I could not believe the amount of carbonation in this beer. Probably because no one pours it into a glass and just chugs it.

S: Smells like nothing. The best I can think of would be someone dropping maybe a half ounce of alcohol into a bottle, and the rest of it water. and then that concoction sat with the cap off for weeks.

T: Tastes like it smells. The taste is not offensive in the fact that it will make you gag, but it IS offensive if you prefer a beer that actually bothers having a taste. This beer is tasteless. Water beer.

M: Water.

D: Water! The prevailing theme in this review. I chugged about 36 OZ of this beer in 5 minutes and I was not bloated in the slightest. The easiest drinking beer I've ever had.

Overall, if you want to get drunk for a very cheap price, and not be bloated, buy Natty Light. Just don't let anyone who respects your opinions about beer know.

1.59/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured directly from a can from my 30-pack into the beer bong.

Looks like toilet water after you have been drinking all day.

Smells like a mix between wet nails, moldy buscuits, and sweaty taint. What are hops?

Tastes wonderful if you are bonging it since that means you don't have to really taste it at all!

We used to pound these all day in college when we were too broke to afford anything decent.

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch