Natural Light | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by kbub6f on 09-15-2001

Reviews: 532 | Ratings: 2,066
3.18/5  rDev +74.7%

I've had so many of these over the course of my college career that I eventually got to the point where I couldn't taste it anymore. It is a beginner's beer. It helps you adjust to having alcohol in your mouth and primes the tastebuds for a lifetime of better beers. If you're into drink a lot, this fits the bill. If you're into drinking for enjoyment, you'd be better off finding something a bit more, uh, mature.

I can't deny where I came from, but I sure am glad I've "graduated" on to more diverse beers.

2.5/5  rDev +37.4%

This is a very cheap light beer that delivers on a watered down flavor. The color is a very light yellow that is not that appealing. The aroma is very bland with the pungent smell of cheap beer. The taste is not much better. It has a nice refreshing mouthfeel because it is a watered down light beer. The finish is not very good but it is quite drinkable and if you are looking to drink alot of beer for very cheap, this just might be your beer.

1.4/5  rDev -23.1%

I'm ONLY reviewing this because the guy below me gave this beer a 4.75?!?!?! First off giving a macrobrew a 4.75?!?!?!

I dont know where to start. i just wanted to point out Nattie Light received a 4.75

taste = no
smell = uh no
drinkable = kinda but I wouldnt WANT to drink more than 1/4 of one.

1.57/5  rDev -13.7%

Can from a twelve pack of my roomates

First time trying this one as well as my last

Only thing to do with this is play games like beer pong and **** the dealer

Horrible aftertaste and stale smell

Only good thing is that has one more percentage of alcohol than most domestic light beers

There is a reason why this is eight dollars for a twenty four pack

Stay away from this if possible

1.6/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours very light straw yellow with a fizzy head that disappears as soon as the pour is finished. Quick, overwhelming carbonation makes it look like light straw-colored soda-water. Its clarity is second to clear, cool water....

The smell is of...of...of...ok - struggling - but...some slight husk ... and... uh... dirty water...

This is lamer than tonic water - There is the ever so small hint of anything approaching beer. But, it vanishes upon swallowing. On the can it says "smooth taste"...Does "smooth" have a "taste", per se? Oh well - I would have given the taste a lower score, however it's rather "clean" if that is what you're going for...

Probably the most watery beer I ever had - at least it doesn't leave a bad aftertaste...ugghhh...

One's enough...I like beer - this is barely (if at all) a beer...This is like tonic water with a light splash of alcohol...with the faintest of adjuncts...

Whatever. Earlier this summer, I was sitting at the pool and someone saw me drinking a Genesee Red. He said he would trade me with one of what he was drinking - I "fell" for it - I put this into the cooler to rate at a different time. He gulped it down (straight from the can), commented on how "heavy" it was ... Some people are just stuck in macro-land...For those people - this one - well...tastes smooth (?) ....

2.72/5  rDev +49.5%

It is what it is...How many times have we said that?! Really, it's not that bad for a light beer. I don't care for light beer, but the gut is getting outta hand..so I picked this up as a spacer. Haven't had it in a couple years, and it really hasn't gotten any better. I've always figured, why pay MORE for LESS of a product though? Like Miller Lite...it's $22/30pk, Bud Light, Mich. Ultra, etc... They all cost WAY too much for what little they are. SO, if you're gonna do light...why not go cheap. I just paid $13.75 INCLUDING tax for a 30/pk. and the calories and carbs are just as low...even lower than some lights. It has more flavor than alot of lights, but not the greatest flavor. It IS smooth, I must say, and watery, therefore very drinkable. Has that "Bud/AB" familiar flavor, to me, however slight it is. A decent light, if there is such a thing. Does the job, and ice cold on a hot day...hits the spot. If you're a light beer drinker, and have never tried this...I doubt you'll hate it, and you may even like it better than the big 3's light offerings. Well, it is an A/B product, so if you're a Bud Light drinker...give this one a try. It's clean, smooth, slightly refreshing. So is water though! Happy drinkin' my friends! Cheers and as we Italians say..."SAAALOOOT!"

1.53/5  rDev -15.9%

Again, any brew that can be purchased in 30-packs probably isn't the most delicious beverage. Pours out a watery yellow, with a quickly fading head. Not appealing, but in line with most light beers in the category. The smell is hops and an acidic sourness. Taste starts with a buttery corn taste similar to other light beers, but then followed by an acidic alcohol tart afterward. Not very pleasant, and probably one of the worst light beer tastes. Overall, with the exception of the taste, this is in line with other light beers. The taste, however, makes it significantly lower than other beers. On the plus side, it's one of the cheapest beers I've ever seen, but drink at your own risk.

2.04/5  rDev +12.1%

Another 99 cent can picked up at the grocery store tonight.

A - Clear slightly yellow brew....the color of healthy urine. A one finger cap of fizz disappears by the time I set the can down on my desk. This is one of the worst looking beers ever.

S - Sweet corn on the cob with some mild diacetyl butter notes. Very weak, but it doesn't smell nearly as bad as it looks.

T - Buttery, tangy, and a bit sour. Some apple flavors in there somewhere. Reminds me of stale popcorn with some really sour and rotten butter on it. But for a light lager this actually has more flavor than is par for the course. It's still pretty bad though.

M - Watery, crisp with butt-loads of carbonation, and a slightly dry and very sour finish.

D - Decent. If you must drink a light beer, this one ain't so bad.

Pours an yellow, fizzy color with a head that doesn't last. Taste is somewhat watery with only a mild corn background. Definitely tastes like drinking fouled water. For being one of A-B's "budget" beers, I'm not too shocked. If you like your beers to go down easy and taste like nothing, this beer's for you.

1.53/5  rDev -15.9%

Piss yellow with a 11/2 in head that quickly disappears with hardly a trace. An astringent odor of cereal with a noticeable absence of malt. Much worse than Bud regular, my benchmark of poor beers. If you need a cheap light beer, drink Stroh's. They use malt. My high score on drinkability is not for palatability. It just goes down fast. The faster the better.

2.65/5  rDev +45.6%

Poured a very light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was little retention and lacing.

Th smell featured a light sweet corn malt with a smattering of hop, maybe.

The taste consisted of a seltzery boiled corn with some weak balancing hops. Not all that offensive actually.

The mouthfeel was thin and ultra carbonated.

Overall not the worst light beer I have had, but not really recommended.

2.71/5  rDev +48.9%

Having sampled all the big brewers offerings in the light category this one wins by a slight margin over Coors light. If you are looking for a great party beer that is inoffensive to most (and inexspensive)this is it. I don't know why anyone would drink Bud-light after trying A-B Natural light. Bud light tastes like Bud with water added.
The down-side: If you are into big-flavor this ain't it. It is in no-way comparible to a micro-brew, but it is tasty and swill-able. No bad attributes. Other reviewers have referred to this as a great college beer. I must agree. Serve cold.

1.56/5  rDev -14.3%

The best of the cheap crappy beers. It has no taste, goes down smooth, and gets you drunk, anything positive someone says outside that is clearly a lie. Great for power hours. Great when you want to mass consume and don't feel like tasting anything.

2.12/5  rDev +16.5%

I couldn't resist buying a six pack of Natty Light long necks but only because it was $3.99. Pretty watered down. I suppose it tastes just like any of the other cheap corn-based light beers out there. When quantity on a budget is your goal this beer is just fine. Sometimes I want a ten dollar six pack and sometimes I want a 30 pack for $11.99. When I'm in a 30 pack mood I crush many of these.

An excellent college campus beer.

1.56/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

"Natty dread rides again,
Have no fear, have no sorrow, yeah!"

--Bob Marley

I thought this might be the first Macro Smackdown to pit Anheuser Busch against Coors, but a quick check tells me that Busch Light won in a squeaker over Coors Light way back in MacSmack IV. Will the outcome of XVI be any different? I don't know about you, but I'm all atremble with excitement and anticipation.

Exceedingly pale yellow with a modest amount of carbonation. The bright white cap has some character and leaves a little glass coverage as it slowly sinks. On the strength of the head alone, this is the better looking beer by far.

Neither one of the aromas is a standout. They're both barely detectable, a definite plus given what I'm able to appreciate. Natty's nose might be slightly more grain-like and less sweet, but it's hard to tell for sure.

This stuff tastes pretty much like I thought it would. For one thing, it's so mildly flavored that it isn't 'spit it out' awful. On the other hand, it's still cold, so all bets could be off very soon. The flavor profile (ha, good one!) consists of... uh... hmm... I'm stumped. How about this: fill a bucket with barley and rice, add water, soak for a day, drain the water, can it... voila, Natural Light.

A-B wants me to believe that NL is 'brewed for a naturally smooth taste'. Coors makes the claim that KL is 'always smooth'. I'm here to say that neither one of them is smooth in the sense that it's easy to drink. Maybe at first (ice cold), but certainly not once the chill is gone. Oh yeah, both mouthfeels are pretty much indistinguishable from H2O.

It looks like MacSmack XVI is a reprise of MacSmack IV in that A-B has barely edged out Coors to snag the coveted crown. These are two of the least impressive beers that I've had in quite some time. Every time I see seemingly normal people fill their grocery cart with swill like this, I just shake my head and move on. I've given up trying to figure out why this crap sells.

3.4/5  rDev +86.8%

Poured an ice-cold freshly brewed can into an 11oz glass 'borrowed' from the Anheuser-Busch Brewery tour hospitality room. Yellow, orange, golden egg color, very pale. (The exact same colors on a box of Camel Lights, if that helps). (Seriously, compare.) Large bubbles cover the sides. In general, it looks okay to me.

A hint of that Budweiser smell. Lightly sweet but more sour than Bud.

Average taste; nothing describable, but nothing unpleasant either. Slightly sour after taste that I quickly learned to enjoy.

Mouthfeel is a little too bubbly at first, but the carbonation disappears after a couple minutes. Mostly just feels cold and wet.

I find this beer extremely drinkable.

Notes: This review is probably a little biased from a financial standpoint. When I can I'll $10 or $12 for a six-pack, and my expectations are of course much higher. Had I paid say, $8.99 for a 12 pack of Natty Light, I might have been disappointed. Had I paid $6.99 for 12 I might have wanted a dollar back. But this beer cost me $4.99 for a pack brewed less than 10 days ago, and it lived up to, even exceeded my expectations. It's basically like drinking the 5 cent can of Wal-mart cola versus the real thing.

I think that one of the categories for rating beer should be "value".

I have no complaints. Although I'm not sure what exactly is "Natural" about this beer. It scores a 5 on the value scale.

1.13/5  rDev -37.9%

i had this with a group of college friends, even did it the honor of pouring it into a glass....what waste, such a bad beer. it can usually enjoy bad beers, in a different way. sometimes a budlight is "ok" that said i wouldnt choose them, if given an option, and i wouldnt drink this again if it was free and i was drunk. awful, in its lacking of anything. usually i put drinkability high on these beers because you can pack them back...not this beer i stopped after the first went to food lion, and got something else

2.01/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

a: pale golden color with about a half inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a very minnimal amount of head
s: adjuncts, and lots of them. there is a slight bitter aroma
t: adjuncts, tastes pretty much like a cheap light beer does very average
m: light bodied average carbonation

overall this is not a very drinkable beer

1.38/5  rDev -24.2%

A - Poured ice cold into a Bud light nonic. Ivory white dishsoap head with transparent straw colored liquid. Leaves generous smatterings of lace when poured vigorously

S - Odors of fermented white rice, and light bitter odors - not sure if they are hops

M - watery, mildly carbonated, gentle oily texture, somewhat salty.

T - Minimal 'beer' flavor-a generous rice like flavor + metallic off taste. Bitter at times, but not from hops. A light taste that practically vanished as soon as the liquid passed through my mouth.

D - A sad attempt to pass off yellow liquid with rice syrup as a beer.. Adjuncts overtake all other flavors and no real offensive or actual taste is really detected at all.

1.7/5  rDev -6.6%

Correct me if im wrong, is this the bottom of the barrel bud light?
The leftovers from budlight I mean?

Cheap is the key word for this one. At 11 bucks a case, cant go wrong.

I rated this one better than Budweiser, cause of the simple fact its cheaper and its the same quality you expect from A&B.

Color - Really does looks like pee?

Smell - Reminds me of pee also?

Taste - Not so strong watered down bud light. Easy on the palate.

Mouth - Smooth and easily drank. No gagging feeling after taking your first drink. Just a burp maybe.

Drinkability - Easy. No mind blowing aftertaste, not bitter.

I used to dislike this stuff, now that Im getting older its not anywhere near as bad as the other A&B products.

Its cheap, doesnt taste terrible. Easy.
Thats all I can say really.

2.18/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance- Looks somthing like urine, yellowish with few bubbles.

Smell- Smells of stale beer, and it was just poured.

Taste- Bitter and watery, little to no aftertaste except of lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Feels like water in the mouth, no hint of thickness.

Drinkability- Not the worst of the light beers and cost effectiness is clutch. Overal rather drinkable en mase.

2.57/5  rDev +41.2%

One stream of carbonation sums up this beer's appearance. Foamy head at the start but like most macro lagers this disappears pretty fast. Light light light golden honey color. Smell is mostly grain. Taste is rice and grain with a subtle sweetness that doesn't go overboard like most beers in this style. Mouthfeel has nice bubbles and is just right for the style. This beer is much better than I remember it to be in high school and I could even see this as a go to after something heavy. Easy all around.

2.6/5  rDev +42.9%

Looks an odd yellow with hardly any bubbles and no head. Smells faint. Grain and rice. Tastes ricey with a little sweetness and actually, some malt towards the end. Grain as well. Mouthfeel is thin and prickly. I could drink this for a while. Simple.

1.36/5  rDev -25.3%

Had a can last night at a party, only brew they had. I've had this beer before but never has it tasted so bad. After treating myself with better beers, Sam Adams, Harpoon, etc., this "Natty" was deplorable. I was mad at myself for not brining my own and made a comment to my friend about it...he told me I shouldn't complain because it was free. Truth. I will never buy this beer and only drink it as a last resort to be social.

A: 12 oz can, not worth a pour.

S: None?

T: Not much, seltzer water

M: Seltzer water, extremely carbonated

D: Putting these beers away is not a problem but it is hardly an enjoyable experience.

1.95/5  rDev +7.1%

come on now. This is a cheap beer intended for mass consumption. Its not meant to be the best beer ever. It is, however, not the worst beer ever either. I will definately take this beer for free from a friend whenever. I have it often. The appearance is a light straw yellow color with no head retention. Smell and taste don't offer much. Mouthfeel is overcarbonated. But is it drinkable and worth the money? yes.

Natural Light from Anheuser-Busch