Oculto

View: Beers
Reviews: 152 | Ratings: 473 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Seasmom:
3.43/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good summer beer. Light and refreshing. Start with notes of tequila and finish with a slight sweetness from the blue agave. Worth a try.

I think it's funny that anyone would call this a beer/wine cooler like a few reviewers below. Have any of you ever tasted a wine cooler? This is nothing like that. Might as well compare it to iced tea. Yep, not like that either.

This is a super smooth, super easy drinking beer that I LOVE. Part of why i initially bought it was the look. LOVE the packaging and total look of the container that holds that beer. And I'm MORE than pleased with the taste. It's awesome. Super smooth and I plan to drink a lot of them over the summer. Good stuff AB. Keep 'em coming!!

2.59/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: First off, clear bottle, and twist off cap. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. A slightly murky yellow in color, A nice full white head on top, that dissipates somewhat quickly.

S: Smells like fake lime, salt, and regret. While the lime and salt originally have a somewhat interesting aroma, once you get past the original sniff, it smells a little like the mop bucket at a bad Mexican joint. There is something refreshing, and yet disturbing at the same time.

T: What a very strange flavor. Very plastic and chemical. Like someone spilled cleaning solution into the lime juicer. It's like a really bad margarita that sat in a plastic container until it was a watered down mess with plastic leached into it, but in the best of ways. While the flavor isn't necessarily gross, it is just weird and chemically. Like some chemist somewhere was trying to figure out how to make a lime skittle, but accidentally added tequila.

M: Medium light, crisp, but I think there could actually be a little more carbonation.. While high, I almost want it closer to blistering.

O: Overall an abysmal beer. It's like some exec somewhere realized there was a surplus stash of tequiza left over from the early 2000's and thought "If we put the word "barrel" on the bottle those hipster fuckheads will surely by this!" mwah ha ha ha"

In short, this beer blows hard. Pass.

1.08/5  rDev -60%

I had no idea that this was an AB product prior to trying it. Not that I automatically hate everything from AB .... Wait ... Yes, I do.

Picture pouring a lemon/lime Pixie Stix candy on your tongue, then washing it down with a rancid Bud Light.

The only "beer" that literally made me gag. An insult to tequila.

Cool name and label, though.

2.32/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from 16 Oz can
Look: As with all AB stuffs it is clear and a touch mote carbonated than it needs to be so very thin soda head that dissapates quickly

Smell: Is that of immediate regret even though the can was free all I can remember is that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting

Taste: Follows the nose it tasted like my Parents are disappointed with my life choices after being dateraped at frat party ...cap malt beverage that doesn't taste like beer closer to Monster's Cubano Limo. Not to say it was undrinkable but it wasn't worth what I paid for it. Lingering taste of stomach acid possibly from vomit I swallowed back down :p
Feel: Is thin and unpleasant like banging an anorexic the first time but after a few more tries it gets easier and more comfortable but people will still judge you for sampling something that is this needy
Overall: I spent more on gas driving to get this and I wish I could have gotten that refunded

2.49/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

After my initial taste of this, buying it randomly not knowing it was an AB product and legit enjoying it I gave it a 3.75 overall. I truly enjoyed it, so much so I went out and bought a case thinking it was a great summer beer to keep on stock when people came over.

I was wrong. My second, third tries of this beer were awful. Multiple (5-10) people have agreed; first half can or so you think hmm, this is pretty good stuff but anything beyond that becomes revolting. Artificial. Burpy. Stale. I've been trying to offload this case for almost two months now but have ran out of friends to trick :(

3.66/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

For what it is, it's pretty smooth and balanced. Not a revolution in the brewing arts but stands its own if paired in an intelligent manner.

3.76/5  rDev +39.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Not bad for a refreshing summer beer. I feel it would be better accepted by the BA community if it wasn't an A-B product. Drank it while grilling steaks on a warm sunday afternoon and enjoyed the experience. I was unaware of the Anheuser-Busch connection until I logged in to BA later in the day. I would gladly drink it again if offered to me.

4.45/5  rDev +64.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass
Aroma- Has a pleasant aroma of agave and watery beer
Appearance- A clear golden body with a thick white head
Taste- I really enjoyed it. It was a hot day and I had it on my back porch watching the golfers. It was a perfect time for this beer. nice agave flavor
Palate- A light bodied beer with mild carbonation
Overall- The craft beer fanatics will hate this, the people who enjoy a refreshing cold one on a hot day will like this far more.

1.1/5  rDev -59.3%

Pretty much just a novelty beer to amuse the college crowd. Unremarkable color, slight tequila in the nose.

Horrible taste - plastic is the dominant flavor, antiseptic, medicinal.

I bought a single bottle of this, added to Safeway's "create your own six-pack". Even so, I feel robbed.

2.16/5  rDev -20%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: pours a 2" sudsy head which drops quickly leaving a bit of lacing. Color is pale straw with moderate streaming carbonation.

Aroma: agave and fruit with some malt notes in the background.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and somewhat sticky with a mostly wet finish.

Flavor: sweetness dominates -- agave and fruit, malt is background only. Hops are minimal at best.

Overall: it is okay, doesn't really taste like beer. Not something I would buy again.

4.4/5  rDev +63%

I personally loved this. As a big fan of Bud Light Lime, this is delicious.

2.95/5  rDev +9.3%

- Blue agave infused beer. 25 fl. oz can. 6.0%. Aged lager on tequila staves.

A: Absolute pristine clarity, fine print read-ablity, with a sudsy, off white slight head, quick to dissipate. Spacious thin rise of carbonation, no legs on the vessel.

S: Definite signs of tequila and lime. Is what it claims to be.

T: Flavor is surprisingly clean, tequila level is adequate, nicely balanced with just the right amount of accent and support of lime of course.

M: Mouthful feels fizzy, despite rather calm demeanor, Light bodied, slick, not bad, decent bite of crispness upfront.

O: Overall a lager accented by tequila and lime notes, by no means a BMC takeoff. Nice infusion of tequila, making for a beer alternative. Would promote this day and night over a Corona, has much more flavor and lime aspect, body and crispness perfect for a mexican beach resort. I was not aware this was affiliated with AB before hand, and don't think it matters afterwards. If people are secure enough to admit they drink macros in the dead heat of summer then they should have no problem admitting that this hits the same spot and fills a void. A corona killer imho. If you are holding this against craft fruit beer samples i can see how this got a poor-lower rating. But standing alone, as a tequila infused beer-alternative, it deserves a bit more. okay.

1.99/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Free sample from one of our beer distributor reps.

This was one of the worst beers I have ever tried. Poured half of it down the drain.

Disgusting!

3.25/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I generally like flavored beers, and I like tequila. So I like this.

Oculto is a smooth and crisp but non-noteworthy lager with a very distinct agave flavor. Very similar in character to Bud Light Lime or Miller Chill. Distinctly sweet finish that hurts the drinkability a little.

Drink it really cold, out of the bottle, in a desert.

3.26/5  rDev +20.7%

Oculto brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV of 6.0% This brew pours out a nice aber color, with a nice white head. The smell is sweet, with some grains and malts. The taste is bitter sweet. The is bold tequila flovor with a lime bitterness. Oculto, has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering in this brew. The mouthfeel is light, with some nice sweetness. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.5 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

2.66/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

There are only two alcoholic beverages that I enjoy, beers and tequilas. In my younger days a cold Corona with a half shot of Cuervo gold topped with lime and salt was adult beverage heaven to me. When I heard about Oculto I thought I might be reliving days gone by, my bad, I'll stick with the Corona/Cuervo hybrid. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying I expected more for the price I paid. Does anyone remember Tequiza? It pours light amber like an American pilsner and does have an agave/fruity aroma. Head quickly disappears. Taste like bud light and a half shot of off brand tequila. I wish an independent micro bewery would work on a blue agave beer but this is Anheuser Busch, just another gimmick from them. Just slightly better than average. Once again, does anyone remember Tequiza? Anyways, I give how the bottle looks a 5.00.

4.87/5  rDev +80.4%

Although I am not happy this brew is that of the big three, I must say that I absolutely love it. The taste is innovative and fantastic. For any beer lover who also likes tequila, this beer is special. Served ice cold on a hot day , this beer reignites your taste buds. The beer taste is evident yet the sweetness of the aquave sets it apart. There is also a pleasant mild after taste of tequila

3.69/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bought a six pack on whim to go with some homemade fish tacos. Could really taste the agave, which is a flavor that is hit or miss with me. Is a decent beer for a hot summer day if you are looking for something different. Not sure I will buy again though.

1.81/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

This beer is good for one thing, a tick

4.58/5  rDev +69.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.75

Look, I hardly know anything about beer compared to everyone else on here...however I know a good tasting beer when I drink one! Highly carbonated, yes. It is a very refreshing beer and being a fan of dark beers I was skeptical But I do think I have a new summer favorite! I can't wait after a long hard day of work to have an Oculto! Just my oppinion guys.

2.06/5  rDev -23.7%

Basically you're drinking tequila without the alcohol burn. It's not too bad if you're only drinking one but i can't imagine drinking a six pack of it unless you're an avid tequila fan, or a raging alcoholic.

*it's much better with some lime juice*

1.26/5  rDev -53.3%

Think Mexican Zima. Watered down peach, apple, and cactus. Carbonation was strange like a cheap soda pop. The bottle even feels like a Zima bottle. The screw off cap left the bottle useless for my home brew, and that is the one plus if a beer is unpalatable. AB just needs to stop pretending they are brewers. Smell is just like the taste. I'm always happy to try something different but this beer becomes quite disgusting after awhile.

4.46/5  rDev +65.2%

I agree with dfuknb...try it once ...you hate it..second time ..you love it ...gotta be a better way to market it however..doesn't really taste like the marketing scheme to me . just think Kentucky bourbon ale with cactus ( tequila) and All natural flavors...bottom line ...it's damn good for not being a Porter.. jury is still on whether or not it's better with lime or without...try it ! and tell beer advocate if its better with lime or not.... Pegasus

Not a bad beer but would be hard to have more than one.

Oculto from Anheuser-Busch