Bud Ice | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process takes the beer to a temperature below freezing, which leads to the formation of ice crystals in the finishing process that gives Bud Ice its rich, smooth taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2001

Reviews: 276 | Ratings: 1,099
2.64/5  rDev +26.9%

(25 oz can - no idea what code means - poured into a tulip pint)

L: absolutely bedazzlingly crystal-clear, golden-yellow liquid... white foam forms, fizzes, yet manages to maintain a thin cloudy cap for over a minute!

S: about what you'd expect... very weak... almost a mix between pilsner malt, simple syrup, and champagne - dried field grass and Wonder bread... vague bubblegum note... nothing offensive, but almost nothing to smell

T: remarkably clean, nothing remotely sweet - especially apparent in the aftertaste... light-moderate bitterness, but most of that is carbonic acid... bizarrely bland - I'd normally expect some kind of canned corn element atop a pale malt base and the outside of the corn can... the aftertaste has a vague corn tortilla thing, but that could be a stretch

F: tiny tingle up front... clean and somewhat glassy smooth... ultra-light foamy flow... certainly one of the drier beers of this ilk, but not sharp... one could tell, tasting blind that this has a bit more body than their flagship... quite a few burps

O: I appreciate the thicker malt constitution of malt liquors and the like, but this comes across almost as if they froze off and removed some of the beer and left the all the water... as a vehicle to drunk, it does the job, but I'd prefer a little more of what something like Old E or Colt 45 has going on... I'll sum up by saying this beer is technically impressive but sensually flaccid.

4.5/5  rDev +116.3%

I had one of these fresh out of the freezer. put it in the freezer 30 minutes ago. Yeah its cheap obviously. If you can look past the price and not consider this to be trashy or whatever, this stuff is good. I will compare this on scale with other ice beers. Busch is maybe about the same as this, but this is stronger slightly. Busch Ice is some good stuff when you are wanting to crack open a brewski for cheap and relax. Its a nice golden color. One thing. Don't let this get remotely warm. Best way i can describe it is it tastes like beer. Bought an 18 pack of this on my quest to find the best ice beer. So far ive had Busch Natty and then this. Also Keystone. Keystone is gross. This is a Good solid American Lager. Its not offputting or meant for craft drinkers. Its just a cheap beer. Isn't bad. I find it refreshing after a long day of work. I have a beer periodically because its good for you.

2.01/5  rDev -3.4%

I passed this up last night for Milwaukee's Best Ice (MBI). Yes I am in search of the crappiest cheapest good beer (if that even makes sense). Luckily they had a single so I picked one up too and here we are. This is in th bottle because no one pours this beer.

Aroma (2.75) : smells like a mix between bud and bud light. Some grassy, grainy aromas and some floral notes too. Very bud-like.

Taste (2.25) : Ice cold it is better than MBI. After 10 minutes of sitting its bareable. After a half an hour, dump it. It's got bud and bud light flavor, with a real smooth finish. Malt, tin, corn, malt. In exactly that order. Slightly sweet on the end. The malt liquor trailer trash character is still there, and yeah the aftertaste is of tin, booze, and morning breath, but it is still marginably drinkable.

Mouthfeel (2) : carbonated, smooth, slightly creamy. Pasty, doughy finish.

Overall (2.01) : not worth a 12 pack; but for a one off with leftover pizza it's okay. Nice smooth flavor with a frozen feel and a malt character. Its still a crime to make a beer this bad and Bud Light is better tasting - and I don't even like bud light.

2.78/5  rDev +33.7%

Poured into an Irish pint glass.

Look: The body is perfectly clear and golden with slowly rising bubbles. The head is white and dissipates to a fine wisp and a white ring around the edge of the glass. Very light spots of lacing remain on the glass.

Aroma: Some metallic notes, otherwise very sweet with corn adjuncts coming through.

Taste: Pretty bland with a cardboard and papery body. Slightly sweet, slightly metallic especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light and dry.

Overall: Comparing this to all other AALs, I see nothing offensive about this at all. In fact, it tastes almost like every other American Adjunct Lager out there. I have a feeling that when people rate these cheap macro adjuncts, they rate them compared to the DIIPAs and 10% barrel aged imperial stouts that they love.

2.92/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served from a can in a tumbler.

While I was picking up a can of Bud Light Lime Appale-Ahhhh-Rita (was that the right number of H's there?), I spied a can of Bud Ice and remembered I'd never tried it. Time to change that. This stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived white foam. The nose barely exists, though I think some processed cereal grains and hard water come through. Maybe. I don't know, though. The taste resembles your usual Bud Light, with some processed corn, hard water, and mild biscuit-like sweetness, though a hint of extra booze is in there (it's not terribly perceptible, but it's there on occasion). The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat watery feel. Overall, this is your basic booze-boosted adjunct lager, not really bad, per se, but decidedly boring and tedious.

2.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I believe on grading a beer on what it intends to do and how it effectively does what it was brewed to do. Consider ice beers for a second, beers whose sole purpose is to provide you with an experience with more alcohol than your average light/heavy lager. While I don't neglect that the flavor should be something that won't result in a peculiar face to be made when tasting, swallowing, and digesting the beer, I also try to focus on the overall drinkability of such a beverage and whether or not it can at least be taken as a serious effort.

Bud Ice is just barely passable as a beer in general, and without the heavier alcohol boost than your average Bud and a tolerable taste, there is really little else noteworthy about this offering. It was created during the time "Ice brewing" became a trend, and boy, Anheuser-Busch really jumped on that particular train, with Bud Ice, Busch Ice (which may or may not still exist, I can't find a definitive answer), and Natural Ice. Bud Ice twelve-pack bottles rarely (and I mean rarely) move at the liquor store I work at, but I managed to find a 22oz bottle from a podunk liquor store a way's away. Was pretty happy, as this is a beer I've been looking to try for a few years, but wasn't going to succumb to a six or twelve pack.

Appearance: Looks like beer, with a yellowish-brown hue overall. Unremarkably unremarkable.

Smell: Smells like an ordinary lager, with a bit more of a present whiff of alcohol and some excess grains. Again, unremarkably unremarkable.

Taste: Not bad, considering the subpar look and smell. Definitely smooth, bears alcohol over any discernible flavor, but the entire product is totally acceptable from a drinkability standpoint. It isn't bitter and harsh like Natural Ice, and doesn't bear faint chemical tastes like your average Bud Light.

Mouthfeel: Heavily-carbonated, which makes the beer lose some points for me. That sting is really unpleasant after a while.

Bud Ice is a tolerable effort, one that is a bit better than Natural Ice, if that's saying much. I like its smoothness and its surprising lack of anything bitter or harsh, but also am underwhelmed by its lack of zest or anything outside of the ordinary. To a degree, it's almost offensively predictable.

Bud Ice is a beer I used to drink on occasion years ago. But since then it has fallen way down on my list of "go to" beers. Aroma-non-descript, generic adjunct lager smell. Appearance- a yellowish color with carbonation and little head noticed. Taste- I find this less enjoyable than the standard bearer Budweiser, not horrible but this beer has a bland and almost unrecognizable flavor. Palate- i really noticed the carbonation. Overall- this beer isn’t horrible nor is it a great beer, it is simply a beer that I will drink if someone offers it to me, If it was on a menu with a half a dozen other beers I would almost certainly choose something else over this.

2.71/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I have been enjoying a few Ice style beers lately. Most of them seem to be a bolder version of the parent beer which to me is a good thing.
In this case I could see little in Bud Ice that resembled any A-B product. Maybe it could have come from Bud Light but certainly not from regular Bud.
Pours pale gold with a small white head that leaves rather quickly leaving almost no lace.
Smell is a pungent rice like scent.
Taste is modest and little in common with beer.
Mouthfeel is less than average.
Overall a disappointment. I thought it would be a bigger Bud but it was not. Recommended for those who don't enjoy the taste of beer.
Edit: 10/05/2015. Bumped the ratings slightly. I still believe this is Bud Light put through an Ice beer process. Minimal taste and very small flavor profile. This is what Bud Light fans should be drinking!

1.02/5  rDev -51%

This is the epitome of cheap/college beers. Horrible taste, but after one 16oz. you stop caring about taste. This is great for wanting to get plastered on a budget. Other than that, do your self a favor and pay a few cents more for a full flavored Budweiser.

3.16/5  rDev +51.9%

Ok, let me see here. This is cheap. Its average. It tastes like a mixture of beer and a sweet taste. Its cheap. For something you could get a 30 pack of for 13.99 its still better than natural light. for something thats so cheap that its almost malt liquor its good. but there are much better options available.

3.53/5  rDev +69.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

ahhh bud ice my broke bitch beer, 2 bucks and a few dimes gets you 32.oz's of delicious beer that tastes great nice carbonation goes down smooth but leaves me burping a lot i enjoy this brew. compared to bud light which i rarely drink except for last week it is a lot better in taste whereas bud light tastes like sparkling water

2.96/5  rDev +42.3%

Poured from a 24 ounce tallboy into a shaker pint glass. A semi-aggressive pour produces about a 1/2 frothy head that reduces quickly down to a thin covering that does seems to stick around. The beer is a pale golden with ample carbonation.

There's a definite smell of cooked adjuncts in the aroma, though the flavor is clean and actually pretty flavorless, as one might expect. I would say it has a little more malt flavor than regular Budweiser. The hops characteristics are so small as to almost seem absent.

Overall, this is about what I expect for this style of beer in this price range. It's nothing special but nothing repugnant either. I paid $1.99 for the tallboy.

1.96/5  rDev -5.8%

18 ounce bottle.

A: Extremely clear yellow with almost no head.

S: Alcohol, low quality grain but not overpowering. Not good either.

T: Water and alcohol. Almost no malt or hop characteristics.

W: Watery and flat.

O: All I can say is that this is a very poor lager.

2.76/5  rDev +32.7%

Bud Ice is cheap. That's all I can really say. I turn to this beer when my wallet is low and the selection is few

A- Clear bright straw yellow. Almost no head. No lacing.
S- Corn, alcohol, grains.
T- Slightly sweet. Very alcoholic flavor. No redeeming qualities at all.
M- Highly carbonated. Thin.
O- I only drink this for the buzz. It's easier to drink than most malt liquors.

This is what it is.

1.64/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

25 oz can.
Pours crystal clear.
Fizzy white head disappears before you know it.
Super carbonated. Makes the first few swallows harsh going down.
Has a foul adjunct aroma.
Not much flavor, some sweetness upfront., and a foul taste on the back end.

Ice cold it is drinkable but borders on Nasty.

The only thing that this beer has going for it is that it is cheap.

And being cheap can't even save it because there are plenty of cheap beers out there that are enjoyable.

If you want to get wasted, you would be better served to drink some high gravity malt liquor.

No reason to drink this.

3.49/5  rDev +67.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is my first review on this site mainly because I am just now beginning to dip my toes into the world of beer and wine. This will be short and sweet.

First i'll start off with how this beer ended up in my fridge. Well as I said I am just beginning my beer adventure and a local beer and wine store carries a free book that lists all of their available beer and wines. Not knowing a damn thing about either I simply decided to try the first one in the book which was a listing of their domestic beer. First on the list was this and luckily I actually like it. Its light and to my taste buds has a slightly sweet taste to it. After reading the reviews I see alot of people arent a fan. But I find this to be a good starter beer especially for the ladies. Its light in color, taste and the impact on your wallet. I got a 12 pk of the bottles for about 8 dollars. I think this would be great hanging out at the beach or pool or outside on a hot day. No bitter after taste that I hate from the stronger flavored craft beer. I'm a fan. I would definitely repurchase

3.85/5  rDev +85.1%

This is my first post. The reason is because I'm the type of person who just reviews shit for the hell of it, all the time. Even cigarettes.

I realized.... 99% of you are BEER SNOBS! I mean, as in, "American adjunct... how trashy."

Really?

This beer is perfect for someone on my income.

When you go into a convenience store there's 4 layers of beer.

"High End" (That most of you rate horribly, such as Pale Ale, etc)
Then your "Mid Grade" Miller, Bud Heavy/Light, Platinum (Mmm, I love Platinum)
Then your "Low Grade" Miller High Life, Natty, Icehouse Edge, Malt Liquor.
Then your girly shit.

Okay - first off - I can get an 18pack of Cans for $10 in FL here of Bud Ice. With it's 5.5 ABV, the reason it's in the lower tier is because it's market audience are those like me who look at ABV content when buying.

18pack of Budweiser? Nearly double the price. Yet, Bud Ice? $10.

Let's go into the beer.

IT TASTE LIKE BEER.

Not only that - It's very smooth, not much of an aftertaste, if anything it's "Bland"

Yet, for me, THAT'S GOOD. Yes, you can tell you're drinking beer. Yet, this isn't Coca-Cola - You don't want a flavor you get burnt out on.

(Oh, and I've been to three Beer Festivals, WaZoo, largest in America in Tampa, FL, two months ago - over 2,500 beers... so don't think I'm just so Joe Schmoe, I enjoy my beer)

BUD ICE IS VERY UNDER-RATED.

Listen, It's got the AB logo. The fact it says BUD makes it stand out in a crowd... etc etc.

Bottom line is for the PRICE... I'd wager AB is losing profits on Bud Ice because of the price.

It's basically Bud Heavy cut thinner; as we all know.

So don't be a snob, don't go spend $12 for a six-pack of a fancy label beer that has a nice 'tart' finish. Spend $10 for a 18-pack of cans (god forbid!) and enjoy them after work or during Football.

It's my go-to beer, right behind Platinum when I feel like paying the extra money.

Dale's Pale Ale is my FAVORITE beer yet very hard to find.

So... first post.... hope I don't rub any feather... just bringing it down to earth!

GO BUCS!

1.13/5  rDev -45.7%

Drunk straight from a 18 oz bottle

A = piss-yellow and fizzy (I poured some on the ground)

S = generic cheap beer smell, stale and grainy

T = club soda, booze, wet paper, sour corn, lost hope and broken dreams

M = fizzy and thin

O = bought this large bottle as a joke for me and my brother, a few sips and we poured the rest out. not worth drinking IMO, even for 99 cents for a 18 ouncer. We jokingly dub it a "Big Ol' Ice o' Bud" for reasons unknown.

1.96/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow in color with heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy foamy bright white head that reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of grainy malts with some light aromas of corn and rice adjuncts.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of grainy malts with some light corn and rice adjuncts. Moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish which fades rather quickly.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: This beer is easy to drink and not offensive, I might even go so far as to say that I enjoy it more than standard Bud.

1.86/5  rDev -10.6%

24oz can poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a clear light golden with a puffy white head that is somewhat quick to dissipate. Just a bit of visible carbonation. Leaves a spot or two of lacing.

S: Light malt and adjunct aroma. Not the most pleasant.

T: Pale malts and a sweet characteristic. Almost a wheat like quality to it. Certainly that macro lager type of flavor, just a bit more amped up. Sweetness is a bit of a distraction from the flavor.

M: Medium body with low-average carbonation. A bit sticky and not as sessionable as other Buds.

Overall not one of the better Bud products, feels like it should be stronger than what it is considering the drastic change in flavor over Bud.

It taste like bud but with higher abv. You need to drank this beer cold and I did ! It went down pretty smooth and refreshing.

Appearance: yellow in color, fizzy

Smell: Adjunct grainy and corn

Mouthfeel: It medium mouth feel to it

Taste: Like most lagers corn, rice and hops. It is crisp and clean

Overall: not the best beer in the world, but not the worst. Again it taste like bud but higher abv.

This taste like Bud but stronger. I drank mine cold , it would have had a bad if warm. Drinkabiliity is good. For the price I would buy this again . AVERAGE beer for good price.

1.89/5  rDev -9.1%

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down very quickly, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of adjunct malts are present in the nose—corn seems to stand out in particular.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has some notes of corn and hints of grainy malts along with a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied, slightly watery and a little clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is rather easy to drink and the overall taste is neither interesting nor offensive.

1.03/5  rDev -50.5%

If there was a 0 i would have put it. A hint of mouthfeel other wise corn seltzer Held about a 1/4 inch head for about 1 minute. Just a really poor excuse for a beer! Most ices are sub par but, this one is dreadful! I remember bud dry which gave way to the ice but at least bud dry was in a dark bottle and had a hint of hops! I first tried bud ice down in arkansas where bad beer is the norm. I guess it's all opinion but i just don't see it! Never again !

1.73/5  rDev -16.8%

22 oz. bottle, with no bottling information present. My second review of an Anheuser-Busch product. I haven't had a regular Budweiser or Bud Light within the last like four or five years, so it's gonna be hard to compare this Bud Ice to them. I don't imagine it could be much better or worse, though.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Half finger of fizzy white foam head dies out within seconds. Pale clear yellow lager body. Nothing impressive here.

S - Smell is of dusty malts and corn husk adjuncts. Touch of sweetness.

T - Crisp, carbonated, wet cardboard taste. Virtually no natural corn or malt tastes. Fairly inoffensive, if you like the taste of wet paper water mixed with a touch of high fructose corn syrup. Reminds me of what Sol tasted like. Do yourself a favor and squeeze a damn lime wedge into this thing.

M - Crisp is about the only positive thing I can say about this beer. It is carbonated, bloating, wet cardboard water.

Overall, inoffensive in the sense that it doesn't taste like some of the more extremely awful malt liquors which taste as if they were concocted in a chemical facility, but this beer is pretty bad. Doesn't deviate much from any other awful American adjunct lagers, except it might be slightly higher abv, but at a 5.50% abv it is still weak and pitiful, and not even a prime choice if you're just looking to get drunk.

Anheuser-Busch Bud Ice ---1.5/5

4.55/5  rDev +118.8%

This is a true American lager.

Firstly, the appearance is magnificent. It's a clear bright yellow. One thing that a lot of drinkers do not seem to like is the fact that it does not leave a lot of foam. Personally, I think that's great; more drink, less air, I say.

The smell could be described as neutral as far as beers go, but you can definitely smell the hops.

The taste is unmatched. Although it taste similar to the other beers made by Busch, this is the best. It taste sweet, it's like there's a berry flavor after taste.

If you get it down to a cold temperature, as take a sip, it's wonderful; refreshing.

Overall, this is a high quality beer that for some reason gets a bad reputation. At 3 dollars for 64 ounces, how can you go wrong? It's a crisp clean tasting and looking beer.

And, in case you couldn't tell, this is my favorite beer.

Bud Ice from Anheuser-Busch