Shock Top Strawbanero Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Added by superspak on 08-13-2015

View: Beers
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.45/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.56/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

1.44/5  rDev -48.9%

I tried this beer as part of a 12-pack sampler. I didn't even notice the habanero reference until I got home. While I love spicy food (I put Tabasco on everything), I haven't liked the 1 or 2 pepper-flavored beers I've tried. This one was no exception. It looks fine and smells fine, but the taste, really it's the after-taste, is not great. It starts off sweet with the taste of artificial strawberries (think strawberry-flavored gum) and then the habanero hits you, but it's not spicy like a pepper at all. A pepper will make your tongue burn, whereas this is just a bad taste that sort of annoyingly tickles the back of your throat. It was a struggle to finish the entire bottle.

I gave it a 2 overall because it is so different from anything else I've ever tried that I may have a strange urge to try it again sometime in the future.

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%

I don't mind Shock Top in general, so I thought nothing of it when I bought these in a variety pack. Looks decent, smells sweet, and tastes like strawberry torture. The kitchen drain is looking awfully thirsty.

2.65/5  rDev -6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

03/27/2016
Easter Party, Rocks. Bottle to plastic cup. Look: Orange, hazy. Creamy white head. Aroma Strawberry. Taste: Nice heat from pepper, mixes well with Strawberry. Pasty/wheat also helps to dampen heat and make it enjoyable. Feel: Thin. Pasty.
Not bad, but it's no Mango Mahnifico.

4.55/5  rDev +61.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I was reluctant to try this beer when a friend brought it over, but tonight I thought I might try some with the corned beef we had and it complimented it quite nicely. I am surprised this beer didn't get better reviews. I like all drinks spicy, so this really hit a home run for me. I like the level of heat, as well as the hint of strawberry..very nice.

1.06/5  rDev -62.4%

this is one of the worst beers I've ever had, just like all shock top. trying to pretend to be a micro brewed beer but is really just an anheiser busch peach of crap brewed as cheaply and sold as expensively as possible. not to mention that every flavor, especially this one, is absolutely disgusting and tastes nothing like a belgian wheat. i have lived in belgium for a large portion of my life and you will never find a beer that tastes anywhere close to this piece of shit.

3.34/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours out a very hazy honey golden color with a foamy white head. Lots of bubbles sticking to the side of the glass.

Smell is very sweet! Smells like a strawberry hard cider rather than a beer. Mixed on this one. I like this smell but is it a beer smell?

Taste is just kind of a nasty sweet strawberry taste with a bit of spice at the back of the swallow.

Mouth feel is bordering on medium with a wet finish.

This beer looks real nice, smells awfully damn sweet and tastes like something from somewhere I do not want to go. Seriously I am happy I tried this and am double damn happy I only picked up a single as this one is getting harder to put down with each swallow.

2.75/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.21/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

2.37/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.46/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

2.22/5  rDev -21.3%

3.85/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Wow! So very different - really interesting taste. Instant favorite for me.

3.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.76/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I've gotta say, this appearance is something to look at. Particles of strawberry and pepper float around in a seemingly thick body of honey-orange. The head is actually decent and leaves a good ring of lace behind. Watching the particles is like watching a fish tank. I like fish.

Aroma is a dead ringer for Gummi Bears, the orange ones in particular. It also smells like orange soda or orange juice mixed with 7up. My mouth is watering. So are my eyes a bit, so perhaps there is pepper hidden in there somewhere.

The flavor is great, the heat is not. It starts with a formidable force of orange and strawberry (in that order), and then the heat sets in with notes of heavy black pepper and white pepper. The burn is a bit too much for me, and hurts my throat and the back of my mouth.

The feel is thick and viscous, with a dense carbonation and a burn on the back palate. The lips tingle with fire.

Overall, Strawbanero accomplishes what it set out to do. It's a decent fruit beer with a formidable burn. Not everybody's cup of tea, and not mine either, but I can respect it for what it is. Glad I satisfied my curiosity. Not worth the bad rep it gets on here.

3.94/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2.3/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

1.66/5  rDev -41.1%

4.07/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 4

Find this to be a little bit too carbonated.

3.15/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast