Best Damn Root Beer

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Best Damn Root BeerBest Damn Root Beer
Notes: Our delicious, easy-drinking Best Damn Root Beer is aged on real vanilla beans during the brewing process for a full-flavored, well-balanced take on one of our favorite classic tastes. We hope you love it as much as we do. Cheers!
View: Beers
Reviews: 54 | Ratings: 193 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

I see a lot of poor reviews. This is certainly because these people are beer drinkers. Best Damn Rootbeer didn't taste like beer. I dislike beer.

The people you need to ask are root beer drinkers. Every root beer drinker I know, including my 85 yr old mom, LOVED it and were heartbroken to lose it.

Is there any left in a warehouse somewhere?

Pleasantly surprised. Normal root beer aroma. Flavor, at first glance, is like an A&W, which has that tooth paste like flavor. No real alcohol detected. Only after a minute, or two, is there a warmth that comes up. Going to have to make a float with this done day!!

1.75/5  rDev -35.9%

Pretty much the opposite. You’re better off drinking a can of root beer soda that’s been sitting in the car and exposed to the summer sun than drinking this.

1.09/5  rDev -60.1%

So let me preface this by saying that I'm currently moving and the only thing I have at my old place is some stale doritos and I can't think of anything more appropriate to drink with that than a bottle of this stuff that was left behind by some visitor who won't be welcomed into my new home.

Look - Looks like coffee, totally stagnant. No carbonation, no lacing.

Smell - Licorice, vanilla and nutmeg. Alcohol is fairly obvious. Honestly its just an unbalanced root beer.

Taste - Your teenage son has gone to a fast food place and gotten a cup of root beer, he added some cheap alcohol to it last night and left it in his car on a hot summer night. The ice has melted watering it down. You wonder to yourself "Will Jeremy ever get his life together?".

Feel - It's like old soda

Overall - This is bad.

3.5/5  rDev +28.2%

For something that shouldn't even be on this board, since it isn't properly beer, I liked it. You could easily get drunk on these without intending to, since the alcohol is all but undetectable.

2.98/5  rDev +9.2%

The initial taste is root beer which is not bad but is followed up with a terrible after taste. Wouldn't waste another $8 on a six pack. Never again!!!

1.11/5  rDev -59.3%

Why did I try this?! Looks like root beer, smells like a decent cheap root beer, tastes like a flat, off brand outdated discount store brand imitation of root beer. No head was gettable, no carbonation lasted, but some fonky tastes glom on to the fake root beer flavor, for a "more complex" yonky taste. Real vanilla beans, huh...how old were they?
Had I looked more closely, I would have known better than to try it (AB). Well, now I have something for "friends" who drop in unannounced. Plus, it's perfect for that family reunion you don't want to go to.

1.9/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I like feisty root beers so when I saw BDRB on sale at my local grocery I grabbed a 6-pack. I popped the top to find a nice root beer aroma. I drank from the bottle and found a 3-second roller coaster ride of Bing, Bang, Splat and Ugh.

Bing - sugary taste of root beer
Bang - bitter over-powering licorice
Splat - taste of cheap, bitter beer
Ugh - the feeling I just drank cough medicine and I needed to shave my tongue

If you don't want to shave your tongue, don't drink the worst darned root beer ever,

1.83/5  rDev -33%

I've rather enjoy Not Your Father's Root Beer. Occasional novel, fun change to weekly beer purchase. But it's a bit on the pricey side. Was delighted to spot Best Damn Root Beer on sale at the grocery today for $5.99. Was really excited to pop that first bottle. Took a swig..., and can't remember the last time I was so disappointed by a beer I was expecting to be at least palatable. Thin bodied, thin, artificial taste that is almost but not quite suggestive of root beer. Not worth it at any price, (seriously, there is no so thing as 'good enough because cheap' beer. It's either good or not, and if it's not good, it's not worth drinking, at any price).

3.82/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well... I was shopping in a small rural West Virginia town, in a small grocery store. I saw this on sale, I never seen this before, and the label says it's the best damn root beer. Okay, so I had to give it a try, right? But I came to this site and saw terrible reviews, so that made me more curious. On the spot review, let's see who is right.... the reviewers or the beer, itself...

Look: Looks decent. Carbonated root beer look, dark, minimal head. Decent lacings, I suppose. Not bad looking at all.

Smell: Well... 90% root beer, 10% beer. I sense the beer maltiness hidden well underneath the root beer sweetness smell. I have had alcoholic root beers before and this has a bit more of a faint "beer" smell to it.

Taste: Sweet. Then dry. Then beer presence. Interesting. The first initial taste is sweet root beer, followed by a very dry mouthfeel. It has a beer presence hidden underneath it all, which is the last taste I get. I can't say its a bad overall flavor... it is interesting that you get blasted at first by an overwhelming sweetness of root beer, then a dry sensation which is lastly followed by that typical anheuser busch beer presence. Can't say I dislike it, it's just different.

Overall: Well, would I buy this again? Maybe not. But I can't say I hate it. I will finish the case easily, I won't dump them out or give them away. It was worth trying once. But I definitely won't go as far as saying it is the best damn root beer I have ever had. No, not even close. Virgil's is the best Root Beer I ever had and there are better alcoholic root beers out there as well. But hey, if you can find this cheap, go for it, not really bad to try at least once. Especially for hardcore root beer fans.

2.39/5  rDev -12.5%

Taster glass at Total wine and more
dark, almost opaque
smells like root beer, licorice
very sweet, some tartness
highly carbonated, some tartness
fair beer, not to repeat
drank: 11/5/2016 2:10 PM

2.2/5  rDev -19.4%

Replace "BEST" with "WORST" and you'd be about right. I unfortunately am the owner of a 6 pack of these. The hard lesson learned don't ever by a 6 pack when you're trying out new beers. I love root beer and what could be better than a regular ol' root beer? How about a root beer mixed with real beer. Sounds like a tasty idea but this is anything but that from the very first sip I frowned and it only got worse. When you pop the cap off it makes a nice fizz and has a nice odor to it. It looks good and it smells good and it ends there. When the taste hits your tongue you get a mix of flavors. First you get the weak flavor of rootbeer and then you get hit with this over powering medicine like taste that's very unpleasant. It's then followed through with an lingering aftertaste that makes you wonder if you just drank Bengay flavored beer. You torture yourself with sip after sip tying to finish a bottle of this which feels like forever and when it's gone you're left with the feeling you just blew $10 bucks that you could of spent on a good beer you like and still have change left over. I can only sum this drink up as one to skip unless you like medicine tasting beers than this might be for you. Rootbeer wise it's already a challenge to make a good root beer but to make a good root beer and add alcohol is another feat. My advise for any company looking to head down this road is to make good rootbeer first and then use that good rootbeer with alchohol in it. The problem with this brew is that it's bad root beer and bad alcohol all mixed together in one bottle.

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12-oz bottle into Snow Cap nonic glass

A - a finger of medium tan foam disappears almost immediately; body of deep brown with ruby highlights; high visible carbonation; looks like root beer soda--nothing spectacular

S - smells like root beer; vanilla and wintergreen; hint of bubblegum

T - root beer flavor is weak; tastes like root beer, but just kind of a bland flavor.

M - highly-carbonated light body; it's a sugary soda, folks

O - I've had several better hard root beers. Not worth a try.

2.63/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hard to consider this beer, but it's on here so I may as well rate it.

As far as flavored sodas go, this one isn't that great. Only 5.5% ABV, but you can clearly taste the alcohol in it. A far cry from Not Your Father's RB. Oh well, at least I only bought a single bottle. I won't be buying again.

4.01/5  rDev +46.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A gimmick? Yes. Tasty? Yes. Could I drink it all night? No.
Perfect root beer look and smell. The taste is 90% root beer with just the slightest bitter twang on the finish.

1.7/5  rDev -37.7%

Looks good, smells great, tastes not good beer, not good root beer. Just a poor combination to me.
Not a flavor beer kind of guy. Has a bad aftertaste

4.39/5  rDev +60.8%

This has a very similar taste to IBC Root Beer but a punch at the end. I was hoping it would be a homemade style versus a commercial style taste due to its name. It is a similar smoothness of root beer with the spice and a punch at the end. To me the name is just a name as this is a decent style adult root beer, it leaves room for improvement

3.24/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It's not much different than all the other ''hard'' root beers out there. This is the third or fourth one i've tried and they're all basically the same.

3.94/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16 oz can into a pint glass. The appearance is pitch black with a small tan head. The aroma is, well root beer. The taste is a weak root beer flavor, the aroma is better than the flavor.

3.49/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Type: 16-oz. can
Glass: Clear 9-oz. plastic cup
From: Liquor King in Fresno, Calif.
Price: $1.79
Purchased: March 31, 2016
Consumed: March 31, 2016
Misc.: Canned on Jan. 10, 2016

Had seen this around for awhile, but picked it for the first time in Fresno, Calif., on a work trip. Have semi-high hopes for it. I’m hoping better than Mission’s Hard Root Beer, but not expecting it to be as good as Not Your Father’s Root Beer.

Poured a dark caramel brown color with 1-to-2 fingers of rocky, tan head, which dissipated rather quickly. Lots of bubbles coming up toward the top of the cup. No lacing on the sides of the cup. Poor retention on the top all the way down. (Sight - 2.25)

Smelled pretty much what I would have thought it would be, getting a big whiff of root beer first. Digging in more I got vanilla beans, licorice, brown sugar, sugary caramel, root beer barrel candies, hints of molasses and bubble gum. Very nice on the nose. (Smell - 4.50)

Taste followed the nose, but definitely a big dropoff. Got root beer notes - root beer barrel candies, vanilla, bubble gum, sugary caramel, brown sugar and sugary bark. Picking up on a lot of artificial notes. (Taste - 3.25)

Medium body. Sticky texture Soft carbonation. Normal finish. (Feel - 3.25)

This was about as good as I expected. Nice to try, but I’ll stick with NYFRB. (Overall - 3.25)

3.49 | 79 | B-

2.14/5  rDev -21.6%

This beer is far from "the Best Damn" alcoholic root beer on the market. To be fair, I have only tried one other... Not Your Father's Root Beer. It is far superior in carbonation amount/quality as well as root beer flavor. I'll admit that you can definitely taste the alcohol more with NYF's version, however, since the root beer flavor is so much better and stronger with NYF, it is no contest. This root beer is just bad. I will not purchase again.

3.34/5  rDev +22.3%

16 FL. OZ. can
Served in a mug

It pours the color of root beer. A giant head sat atop as I poured but disappeared quickly after I ceased.

It does have a good root beer smell.

The flavor is a little off through the middle. It starts off good, but the middle and the finish do not taste right to me. I am no root beer expert, so I am not sure what I am tasting.

Thin mouthfeel

It is no Not Your Father's 10% Root Beer. The name is misleading. It is not the best.

2.2/5  rDev -19.4%

Little to no carbonation, with zero head, overly sweet, alcohol bite at then end gives this beverage an overall medicinal quality. A total waste of money. Never purchase this ever.

3.25/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look: very dark, nearly opaque. Zero head
Smell: smells like root beer. Not great, not bad.
Taste: ditto. Tastes like root beer. Not great, not bad. Ok though inferior
IMO to Not your Father's, Weyerbacher, and Coney Island.

2.43/5  rDev -11%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date or freshness information that I can see. Acquired a single bottle of this stuff as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's. This was after I came to find that it is made by Anheuser-Busch, but I digress.

Poured into a Lagunitas mason jar.

A - Typical flat dark bodied soda appearance. No head, some bubbly carbonated fizz that audible sizzles away.

S - Not the best smell of the root beers. Smells of noticeable artificial / medicinal sweetness.

T - Taste is the same: this is one of the worst hard root beers I've ever tried. Sickeningly medicinal cherry cough syrup / Robitussin flavor invades an artificially sweet root beer. Not good.

M - Feel is sweet, medicinal. Yuck.

Overall, not good. Not recommended. One of the worst damn root beers.

Best Hard Root Beer -----2/5.

Best Damn Root Beer from Anheuser-Busch