Best Damn Root Beer | Anheuser-Busch

Best Damn Root BeerBest Damn Root Beer
Best Damn Root BeerBest Damn Root Beer

Missouri, United States

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Our delicious, easy-drinking Best Damn Root Beer is aged on real vanilla beans during the brewing process for a full-flavored, well-balanced take on one of our favorite classic tastes. We hope you love it as much as we do. Cheers!

Added by SteveJeremy on 12-13-2015

View: Beers
Reviews by BucannonXC5:
3.49/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Type: 16-oz. can
Glass: Clear 9-oz. plastic cup
From: Liquor King in Fresno, Calif.
Price: $1.79
Purchased: March 31, 2016
Consumed: March 31, 2016
Misc.: Canned on Jan. 10, 2016

Had seen this around for awhile, but picked it for the first time in Fresno, Calif., on a work trip. Have semi-high hopes for it. I’m hoping better than Mission’s Hard Root Beer, but not expecting it to be as good as Not Your Father’s Root Beer.

Poured a dark caramel brown color with 1-to-2 fingers of rocky, tan head, which dissipated rather quickly. Lots of bubbles coming up toward the top of the cup. No lacing on the sides of the cup. Poor retention on the top all the way down. (Sight - 2.25)

Smelled pretty much what I would have thought it would be, getting a big whiff of root beer first. Digging in more I got vanilla beans, licorice, brown sugar, sugary caramel, root beer barrel candies, hints of molasses and bubble gum. Very nice on the nose. (Smell - 4.50)

Taste followed the nose, but definitely a big dropoff. Got root beer notes - root beer barrel candies, vanilla, bubble gum, sugary caramel, brown sugar and sugary bark. Picking up on a lot of artificial notes. (Taste - 3.25)

Medium body. Sticky texture Soft carbonation. Normal finish. (Feel - 3.25)

This was about as good as I expected. Nice to try, but I’ll stick with NYFRB. (Overall - 3.25)

3.49 | 79 | B-

4.13/5  rDev +51.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

AB Best Damn Root Beer

I remember the good ole days. Lemme take you on a trip that goes back a total of...FOUR WHOLE MONTHS when hard root beer was all the rage and you saw those barely 21 year holds returning twenty dollars worth of NYFRB bottle just to buy some more. Ahhh yes the good ole late Summer of '15 when these things were all the rage. Fast forward and they are basically shelf turds sittit around collecting dust. Anyway, let's drink it. Grabbed as a single to round out my Kroger mix a six.

Look - From the bottle hard poured into a dimpled at the bottom pint glass. This thing pours as black as all the others with a head just as tall as all the other which also brings a quick flight away from my eyes as all the others. Carbonation appears moderate.

Smell - The scent on this one is a lot closer to a Barqs style root beer than any of the others I have had. To be quite honest, I don't rate these as though they were actual beers of any type. And this one probably has the most ' root beer ' like smell of any I had consumed.

Taste - I'd like to first and foremost state that the flavorings here are surely artificial. Too bad I really don't care and am rating this for what it is actual supposed to be. It tastes like one of those root beer flavored suckers you used to eat as a kid. No need for getting into detail on that. Again, artificial, but the best job I've seen at mimickry in these ' beers ' so far.

Feel - The feel was pretty much on average with the rest except the flavor here turns up and become more genuine with a higher level of sweetness. Carbonation is very low and it swallows like silk.

Overall - Ahh...Yet another one I wasn't supposed to like as much as I did. The easiest drinking of the hard root beer bunch and arguably the most ' authentic ' to the actual root beer flavoring. Is it legitimate? Hell no. Is it easily tossed back without a care or doubt? Hell yes..

2.63/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hard to consider this beer, but it's on here so I may as well rate it.

As far as flavored sodas go, this one isn't that great. Only 5.5% ABV, but you can clearly taste the alcohol in it. A far cry from Not Your Father's RB. Oh well, at least I only bought a single bottle. I won't be buying again.

2.14/5  rDev -21.3%

This beer is far from "the Best Damn" alcoholic root beer on the market. To be fair, I have only tried one other... Not Your Father's Root Beer. It is far superior in carbonation amount/quality as well as root beer flavor. I'll admit that you can definitely taste the alcohol more with NYF's version, however, since the root beer flavor is so much better and stronger with NYF, it is no contest. This root beer is just bad. I will not purchase again.

1.9/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I like feisty root beers so when I saw BDRB on sale at my local grocery I grabbed a 6-pack. I popped the top to find a nice root beer aroma. I drank from the bottle and found a 3-second roller coaster ride of Bing, Bang, Splat and Ugh.

Bing - sugary taste of root beer
Bang - bitter over-powering licorice
Splat - taste of cheap, bitter beer
Ugh - the feeling I just drank cough medicine and I needed to shave my tongue

If you don't want to shave your tongue, don't drink the worst darned root beer ever,

2.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.29/5  rDev -15.8%

3.24/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.5/5  rDev +28.7%

For something that shouldn't even be on this board, since it isn't properly beer, I liked it. You could easily get drunk on these without intending to, since the alcohol is all but undetectable.

3.06/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

2.93/5  rDev +7.7%

3.28/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2.95/5  rDev +8.5%

3.51/5  rDev +29%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Anheuser-Busch - Best Damn Root Beer. 5.5% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Look: Pours and settles just like a regular root beer. Caramel colored body, and small initial bubbly head, which dissipated into carbonation bubbles on top.

Smell: Has aromas of a typical sarsaparilla, with vanilla and caramel. Very sweet smelling, with no hint of typical medicinal or sourness aromas like in some others.

Feel: Just like a soda. Thin, syrupy body, with heavy carbonation.

Taste: Not a whole lot of taste surprisingly, compared to how strong the aromas were. Immediately up front is the root beer and vanilla, but fades away just as fast it it came, leaving a dull watery taste of nothing into the back end and into the aftertaste. No alcohol, no root beer, no sourness, nothing.

Overall: Since root beer is my favorite soda, I usually like to try all the beers that incorporate the root beer flavors into them. So far, none of them have been really worth it, usually having unpleasant aftertastes, or the such. This however, was the least enjoyable. It was promising at the start, but the significant lack in flavor almost caused my first drain pour. If you are looking for beers that pay homeage to the sarsaparilla, there are other ones that are a lot better.

2.68/5  rDev -1.5%

I enjoyed this beer. Unfortunately, if you are expecting this to taste exactly like root beer you will be disappointed. I felt like a beer based off a soda should be more carbonated, but it usually came across more like a glass of root beer that has say out for too long, lost most of its carbonation, and had alcohol added to it. However, the taste of alcohol within the beer isn't that prevalent. It just provides a little kick. However, it is a refreshing drink and comes in very attractive packaging. I mainly bought this beer just to add its cap to my collection. It isn't something I'd recommend keeping your fridge stocked with at all times, but maybe something cool to have around for parties or by the pool in the summer. I would highly recommend trying this with some vanilla ice cream in a float.

3.94/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16 oz can into a pint glass. The appearance is pitch black with a small tan head. The aroma is, well root beer. The taste is a weak root beer flavor, the aroma is better than the flavor.

3.2/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

1.7/5  rDev -37.5%

Looks good, smells great, tastes not good beer, not good root beer. Just a poor combination to me.
Not a flavor beer kind of guy. Has a bad aftertaste

2.36/5  rDev -13.2%

2.64/5  rDev -2.9%

Ok. I decided to taste this beer again before finishing this comment. It was a bad experience the first time, but I figured I would try one more for the heck of it. So here goes.

It smells like root beer. It feels like a watered down or weak root beer going down. It taste like a watered down NyQuil Cough Syrup with Root Beer flavor. I haven't had many beers. Between Budweiser, Bud Light, Heineken, Corona, Bud Light Platinum, Bud Light Lime, Bud Light Wheat, and Michelob light...this is easily the worst of all.

3.24/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Rootbeer coloring has a fizzy, bubbly and quick to dissipate head. Coloring is on, fizzy carbonation is soda like, but wish the head resembled the picture a bit more with a hearty overflowing foam topping.

S: Caramel syrup, root beer aroma, sweet, smells pretty much like a rootbeer to me.

T: Flavor was sweet, rootbeer flavor, soft vanilla, caramel syrup sweetness.

M: Active carbonation for mouthful, very edgy and soda like.

O: Not sure how i should be rating this. Previously had a coney island hard rootbeer which i thought was to sweet, this one a bit less so. Tastes for the most part like a rootbeer, soda like carbonation, soda like drinkability and fairs pretty well when compared to authentic rootbeer flavor. I'm guessing this takes a hit for being an AB product but is not that bad as a standalone hard rootbeer. Personally i prefer the more brash barq's, this is a bit sweet for mulitples, but i can definitely down this as a soda like substitute for lunch, just don't tell the boss. This was a single purchase, not sure of price per six pack, but can only recommend a single purchase unless you like sweet rootbeer flavoring. Alcohol is very, very well hidden.

3.27/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12/24/15 Chicago (12 oz bottle poured into pint glass). Root beer aroma of a typical root beer soda. Pours with minimal tan head, firm carbonation. Tastes like root beer, with far less of a alcohol kick. Smooth going down, easy to drink. Would like to try with ice cream in the future. Overall good offering for those looking for something sweet.

3.5/5  rDev +28.7%