Bud Extra | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Previously released as B-to-the-E.

Added by MJR on 11-06-2004

1.35/5  rDev -28.9%

Promotional beer giveaway. I really need to stop falling for this "FREE BEER" gag. Because it results in a physical gag.

Beer drank from the can. I had to. Don't say anything. From what I can tell, its moderately carbonated, clear and pale yellow. OK, it LOOKS like beer. The description on this 10 ounce can makes it sound like trash though.

Smells like a bottle of Comet, the cleaner. GROSS!

Taste...close to the worst beer on the planet. Its sweet for no reason, it has a horrid aftertaste. I'm just going to pour it out. Forget this.

1.38/5  rDev -27.4%

I CAN't believe what they will put into a CAN and call it "beer"! The CAN reads "Beer with the natural flavor of raspberry; Beer with something extra; 6.6% Alc./Vol." and yet along the top of the CAN, it reads "Contains Alcohol"! So all of the other labeling was not enough?!? WTF, over? The CANQuest rolls along ...

I got a nice two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head with low retention off of the pour. Raspberry? More like raspberry perfume. I could smell it immediately and it was an obvious case of better living through chemistry - NO raspberries were harmed in the production of this beer. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It brightened this otherwise dull, snowy afternoon, allowing me to write something positive. Mouthfeel was abrasive on the tongue, thanks to both its carbonation and the candy-like flavor imparted by something extra. Gadzooks, but the taste was awful! It was reminiscent of Razzles candy from when I was a kid, but at 6.6 ABV, it was not candy. The finish left me with a regret so profound that I CANnot put it into words. This is definitely one to be avoided.

1.28/5  rDev -32.6%

Picked up a four pack because...well...Woodychandler does want every can, and I'm a sucker for helping on his CANquest.

A - Poured out of the can into my Stone pint glass. The gargoyle is actually screaming at me right now in pure anger. The color is very very light yellow, similar to bud light. Holding it up to my screen, I can still read the text on this page. Poured with two fingers of head which died faster than my enthusiasm for this beer.

S - Smells dead on Low-Carb Monster (hope Hansen isn't suing me for the comparison). Which wouldn't be an unpleasant smell except for the strong sour/chemical smell at the end. I sense this was what happened when AB realized that they were making too much money and wanted some of their customers to become Miller drinkers.

T - This tastes like a black and tan with red bull and Natural Light. Bleh. I only gave it a 1.5 because it isn't the worst beer I have ever had.

M - Bad. Watery, thin, barely carbonated, and a chemical bite at the end that makes me dread another sip.

D - If you hold your nose and pour it down your throat, you could drink the entire can. However, after about 2 sips, this is facing the high probability of a drain pour.

The message we can take from this beer relates to the Beer Wars movie. Caffeinated beer like this is terrible. AB didn't kill Moonshot. Moonshot killed Moonshot.

1.51/5  rDev -20.5%

From the can 08276-VB74 and sampled on January 15, 2010. The pour is about the only decen thing about this. I mean it looks like a beer with its pale yellow tone, thin head, and hyperactive carbonation. But everything else beyond that is difficult to define. The aroma is like sniffing a raspberry wine cooler rather than a beer. The mouthfeel is thin. The taste is basically nothing but raspberry flavoring with maybe...and I mean maybe...a hint of hops. I expect this will result in one of the lowest ratings I have ever given on BA.

2.3/5  rDev +21.1%

I reviewing this as an energy drink because that's what it is. It's a beer based concontion that does not taste liek beer at all. But for an energy drink it's not that bad given that fact that it has alcohol.

appearance: unbeerly. bubbly and soda-like

smell: not gettign anyhting there, maybe a little berry

taste: Very interesting. like berry beer taste, very little beer qualities. I would have never known beer was in it.

mouthfeel: super high carbonation

drinkability: I was pleasantly suprised. Not bad for a party is you want things to get rowdy.

I walked into the old gas station in Blackfoot Idaho. Inside, I found exactly what I expected- little in the way of modernization. This included the woman behind the counter. "Maggie" had probably spent the majority of her life in this little pocket of civilization. She was incredibly nice to me, which I expected. Country folk usually are pleasant to passers-through. In hindsight, however, I suspect that there was a lot more going on behind Maggie's eyes when she saw me walk through her door that day. Were she truly possessed of a kind heart, she would have carried out our interactions in a professional manner and bid me on my way with a smile. In fact, what actually took place was not a great departure from that scenario, except for one major detail. Maggie, in her scheming, cold hearted ways, happened to mention that there was currently a sale on "bud extra" and suggested I try a can. At $0.79, what did I stand to lose?

Well, here I am with a half empty can and a half empty glass in front of me, and I can tell you that I have lost a lot more than $0.79. I feel like my soul has joined the ranks of those things "half empty." My pride and dignity as a human being dissipated faster than did the head of this so called "beer." I've seen sprite hold a head longer. Oh yeah, that's another thing. What the fuck is the name of this beverage? Bud Extra? B^e? B-to-the-e?

Seriously, "B" is only mediocre on its own. The last thing you ever need to do is raise it to the "e" power.

Anyhow, let's get on with it. As you may have noticed, a few lines above, I referred to this not as a beer, but as a beverage. Because it's not a beer. It's hardly even a drinkable substance. In fact, calling it a beverage is truly an insult and disservice to beverages everywhere. Perhaps "fluid" might be the proper term, but that may make this review even more awkward.

The appearance is the worst I have ever seen in a product made of malt and hops. Zero head, Zero retention (not that there was anything to retain). Seriously, if you put this side by side with a "Rockstar" I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which. A beer should never-to-the-ever be so visibly similar to an energy drink as to make them indistinguishable in a side by side comparison. The fact that Anheuser-Busch has accomplished this is almost astonishing.

The smell. Ok, remember that I am reviewing what is, allegedly, a beer. This substance smells almost exactly like 75% of the energy drinks on the market. That in and of itself is not a horrible thing, but this is a BEER we're talking about here. I am starting to have a vision of a bunch of young corporate assholes, gathered around a board room table, making enthusiastic suggestions to the higher ups about how to snare a piece of the energy drink market by creating this abomination. A piece of advice, fellas: You make beer. You're not particularly great at doing that, but not particularly horrible either. Stick to the space you know. When I want a condom, I go with Trojan. When I want an energy drink, I go to Redbull. When I want a beer- I am choosy. You can be damn sure that if Budweiser ever starts making condoms, I'd buy a gun and some ammunition. The end of the world couldn't be that far off.

The taste. Oh Holy God, the taste. The flavor of this beverage could only be described as "transitional" as it starts out in the flavor oriented spitting image of Rockstar, but somewhere along the way it transforms into something of a beer-esque nature. The problem is that those two flavors are (and should be) a long way from each other. Let's make a comparison. Imagine that there is in all of us a "manual transmission of tastes and flavors" with many, many gears. The flavor of beer *should* be somewhere near the "overdrive" range and, that being the case, the flavor of most energy drinks should probably be assigned to the "reverse" region. Now, what Bud+E forces one's palate to do is this: Floor it in reverse for 15 seconds, then immediately slam it all the way to overdrive, and grind every goddamn gear on the way. I don't know where they get "raspberry" Maybe drop the "r" and change the "p" to an "s" and you've got a more appropriate description. I won't bother to describe the hop or malt characters beyond the flaccid point that there is little more than a suggestion that grains of any kind were used at SOME point during the production of this substance.

Needless, yes truly needless to say, the mouthfeel is zilch, and the drinkability is off the charts in a negative direction. If I could give this beer zeros or negatives in all categories, I would. I have never understood the people that have said that on here before. I understand you now, oh beer brethren.

I'm going to go have some Arrogant Bastard, and try to become human again.

1.38/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Clear yellow body. Fluffy white head. Low level of carbonation.

Smell: Smells like a really sugary energy drink. No aroma of raspberries, and also no "beer" smell.

Taste: Wow. That's rather gross. Energy drink flavor up front. Finishes with a macro adjunct flavor. Only a hint of raspberry.

If you have to drink this one, drink it out of the can.

2.15/5  rDev +13.2%

Why the Hell did I buy this? I just flew into CA from PA, and stopped by the 7-11 on the way to the families house and this 'stood' out.

Poured a light yellow color with an averaged sized white head. Herbal/fruity taste and aroma. Sweet. Bizarre beer. More of an Energy Drink taste than a beer. Novelty beer at the most.

Notes from:

I'm sorry but this just isn't beer, and it isn't good either. My uncle got me again on turkeyday this year. He has a knack for getting me to finish his bad choices. Long story short he bought a few of these a year ago choked down two and kept the last one. I drank half of the 16 oz can and dumped the rest. Talked my pops into trying it and I quote "I don't think I like that son" exactly, no redeeming qualities pure evil.

1.23/5  rDev -35.3%

First of all, it has a cool bottle and logo. Sadly, these are the best qualities.

It looks like a typical Budwieser; yellow and fizzy. The smell is beer-like and candy-like. Kind of reminded me of a Jolly Rancher. Very odd. It simply did not taste good. Really lacks any beer-like taste. All in all I would not recommend this. It just does not taste good.

2.55/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- I think this is more energy drink than beer. It has an off yellow color and a lot of fizz but not much head.

Smell- As soon as I opened the can it has a strong energy drink smell if you get in really close you might smell something in the aroma that reminds you of beer.

Taste- It is very sweet and has a strong artificial fruit candy like flavor.

Mouthfeel- Fizzy with some burn.

Drinkability- I guess if you are in to the out all night thing this beer would be for you.

2.08/5  rDev +9.5%

If you're looking at reviews to find out what this tastes like, it's very simple. It's Budweiser with Red Bull in it. Simple as that. Same sugary sweet candy taste as Red Bull (reminiscent of Smarties or Sweet Tarts) with all the "goodness" of a Budweiser in the background. Same bitter aftertaste as Red Bull that lingers long after the fact. If you like both of those drinks separately, you may just enjoy this, but I wouldn't recommend it.

2.46/5  rDev +29.5%

A - Poured a yellow color with a white head that quickly disappears

S - Wow thats bad sweet like a red bull and alcohol

T - Is way better than it looks and smells sweet like candy

M - Tis has medium carbonation to it

D - I guess if you like red bull and vodka this is the beer for you I myself don't even consider this a beer I can only wait for a beer that tastes like a jagerbomb now

2.78/5  rDev +46.3%

Tried this one off of a whim. Was told this was a beer + energy drink combination. Sounds perfect if your a college kid on a binge drinking mission. It poured an applejuice color with a slight smell of red bull. The first taste was bitter, almost like liquid sweet tarts. the taste and the aroma if this beer, is hard to really stomach. I wouldn't pick this up agian in my opinion. But I am sure there are people who buy it religiously.

2.95/5  rDev +55.3%

Saw these at the grocery store, and since I've never had one before, I figured I would give it a try. Came in a pack of four.

A: Very, very light. Would be like apple juice if it was mixed with water. Honestly, if I hold the glass to the screen, I can read through it.

S: Not much at all, has a faint fruit smell, but that's it. No hops or anything here.

T: Not too bad. Starts out with a Bud Light flavor, and then is overpowered by a light taste of raspberry. Like others have said, it tastes a little like Red Bull, but I can taste the beer backing at first. Alcohol fades quickly to where there is nothing but fruit.

M: Extremely light. Juice is fuller and more substantial than this.

D: Very high, almost to the point of being an alternative to water. The can says 6.6% ABV, but you wouldn't know it.

Not a substitute for beer, nor something I would drink all the time, but is definitely something different. Fairly refreshing, probably pretty good for a hot day.

This beer pours out of the can with a yellowish color and a minimal amount of foam that is bubbly and falls apart very quickly. Based on appearance alone, I would think I had just poured myself a bottle of Budweiser. The aroma of this beer is fruity, like a combination blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, and perhaps some strawberry. The body of the beer is thin, with flavors of light grain. But more than anything, this beer tastes like fruit- flavored candy. Herbs are present and so is caffeine, but you would never know based on the taste. There is a certain level of tartness, but the beer still remains sweet and slightly grainy.

2.44/5  rDev +28.4%

A - Pale straw color with some slowly rising tiny bubbles topped by a thick and creamy two finger head. Some sea-foam lace sticks to the glass, and the head never dropped below a quarter inch cap in the ten minutes it took me to drink this. This looks far superior to regular Budweiser, and it's one of the best looking macro lagers that I've seen. Good head retention, clear with some nice color. Ain't bad lookin'.

S - Candy coated jolly-rancher sweetness is all I smell at first, no real beer like notes at all. Doesn't smell bad, it just smells artificial and not at all like beer made with beer ingredients. Candy fruity raspberry and maybe black cherry.

T - Just like the nose, the flavor is one dimensional and artificial. Wine cooler jolly rancher sugar coated nastiness. Tastes a lot like Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss or a wine cooler...so, of course my fiance loved this one. Candy, candy, candy. This is all apple Jolly Rancher.

M - This would be very thirst quenching if it weren't for the super sweet palate coating sugar.

D - It's not all bad as a beverage, but as a beer it's a joke. This is barely drinkable for me...I think I'll let my girl finish this one for me (since I usually finish her dinner for her it seems like a fair trade). Girls (sorry all you real beer girls...I love you, but most girls dig fruity malternatives) will love this.

This is not my style, and arguably not really a beer (at least in terms of taste), but this is head and shoulders above swill like Bacardi Raz or a wine cooler. Plus it has caffeine! This has all night pillow fight party written all over it.

Now called "Bud Extra" the motto: "Beer with something different" yeah...right.

10 oz twist-off bottle with a "born" on date of 2/5/07

AP: This is the thinnest, palest "beer" I've ever seen, looks like anorexic ginger ale with less fizz. Very little carbonation fails to create a head at all and only makes a thin-white soda-like fizzy head. Looks like mildly fizzy apple juice.

nose: All I can smell is the "natural" raspberry additive and something rusty and metallic.

flavor: wow, this is really terrible. a highly sweet raspberry sweetness with crushed up tylenol-like bitterness that is most likely caused by the Guarana becuase most "Energy" drinks I've ever had that has it in it's ingredients has a similar effect. It really is an unlpeasant assualt on your taste buds because of the sweet n' Lo-like bitterness that made me cringe. There is no sign of real beer flavor here at all...This is a Frankenstien's monster, it's hard to beleive this got past the perverbial drawing board; so to speak.

Feel: mildly fizzy, dull and lifeless. This is a zombie. an un-godly creation.

DA: This travesty should be avoided.

1.55/5  rDev -18.4%

Evidently somebody was trying to jump on the red bull energy with alcohol type of bandwagon, well I had to try it and give it a fair shake. Appears a lgiht pale golden tone very urine esque in appearance to be nice and PG I wil say apple juice with a white fizzy head dwindles oh so quickly. Aromatics are tart fruity green apple Jolly Rancher smell definitely a chick alco pop more than a beer smell to me. Flavor not very beer like a hint of corn and rice sweetness overpowered by tart citric fruity notes including cherry and green apple along with some Taurine??? Mouthfeel is light bodied mildly syurpy textured with bitey gag inducing carbonation. Drinkability, energy drink do you need some energy get a Red Bull or other widely available stimulant why mix your upper and the downer didn't health class tell us never to do this.

2.01/5  rDev +5.8%

My wife came home with a 4 pack of these from the grocery store.

I gave it a 3 for appearance because I don't know what this style should look like?
To me it looked the same as the fake champagne (sparkling apple juice) I used to get for my kids on New Year's Eve.

It smells like sparkling apple juice

It tastes odd, strange, weird!

It's fizzy and bitter.

I didn't like this, my wife drank two and she yapped nonsense for over an hour. I gave her a very strong vodka and cranberry as a nightcap... thank goodness, she finally shut up!

3.69/5  rDev +94.2%

tastes just like a red bull or something. I am used to those because I drink them to stay alert on long trips. If you can stand or like energy drinks like red bull, than this for you. Has a fruity red bullish smell and flavor. I finished mine pretty fast. It wasn't as bad as everyone said it was going to be.

2.03/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours into the pint glass a bright yellow with an orange tint with a moderate amount of carbonation. One-finger head of white foam that fades quickly leaving no lacing and no cap/ring. Nose of rosy perfume and a sort of a water-down orange punch scent. Tastes of a weak “store brand” orange punch, you know, the really cheap kind in the plastic bottle with the twist-off plastic cap. Perfumy and very simplistic. Mouth is semi-bubbly and somewhat viscous with a good liquid feel. Sadly, I think this is this “beer’s” strongest point. Drinkability: ugh! Why?

Overall: As an alcoholic energy drink, it’s OK. I can see twenty-somethings chugging these at the trendiest night spots. As a beer, it’s godawful, tasting like someone mixed a couple tablespoons of Coors Light in a bottle of generic orange drink. Avoid.

2.53/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thought I'd give this a try out of curiosity and I have an occasional energy drink (non-alcoholic) at work and some taste ok. From the 16fl.oz. can with a born on date of 17APR06 pours a light bright brass (almost clear) with a white bubble foam head of 1/2 inch. The head fades fast, a little lacing occurs and a steady stream of carbonation bubbles from below.

The smell is a sweet Kool-Aid type aroma, kinda tutti-fruity and candy like. It doesn't smell like beer, can't really detect any malt or hops at all.

The taste is very much like the smell with some of the E coming thruogh, much like an energy drink, kind of a multi-vitamin in Finstones form. I really can't taste much of a beer flavor with all the sweetness and synthetic fruit flavors going on here. It tastes ok but, as a beer...it tastes more like a soda-pop than a beer.

The mouthfeel is somewhat smooth and cream like that gets run over by an astringent, tangy bitter bite that makes your mouth pucker. A fairly blunt vitamin taste of a finish.

Too me, I'm thinkin wine-cooler or flavored malt beverave, drinkable but it's hard to see this as being beer, especially taste-wise. Tastes pretty average as an energy drink per se.

2.28/5  rDev +20%

I needed a pick-me-up and I wanted a beer. Had one of these in the fridge. Seemed like a logical choice... Pours out to a light yellow color with a 1 inch head of white foam. No lace. High levels of carbonation, with bubbles streaming up form the bottom of the glass. Aromas of...genseng and malt, mixed with a sweet artificial fruity flavor. Taste was not enjoyable; sour apples, bland wet malt, some herbs. I guess for what it is it's not totally disgusting, but this isn't beer. More like a malternative that threw up beer after a Budweiser binge. Mouthfeel was zesty and light. Drinkability would be better if it wasn't so astringent tasting. If your looking for a cider, this may fill in the void. But if you want a beer, look elsewhere for satisfaction...

1.54/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a three finger, white head that quickly fades to nothing leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale yellow color. Traces of carbonation and very light bodied. Sweet fruity nose. Starts sweet from added flavors not from malt, no hint of hops or malts, higher ABV is not noticeable. A-B can make good beer if they really try (Bare Knuckle stout) but this doesn't taste or look like beer. Pricey - $5.49 for a 4-pak of 10oz bottles from Irving Blue Canoe Concord, NH.

Bud Extra from Anheuser-Busch