Budweiser Select

Gots
SCORE
Awful
Budweiser SelectBudweiser Select
Notes: Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.
View: Beers
Reviews: 424 | Ratings: 1,336 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Richi3Rich from Texas

This beer is great. It’s one of, if not my favorite beer. The taste isn’t too strong, so for the novice beer drinker it’s a great choice. It is very refreshing and goes down easy. Not very filling, and easy to drink! I hope that Budweiser does not stop the production of this beer because it is one of kind and I have very fond memories of drinking this with my friends. I highly recommend this beer.

Feb 26, 2021
Franziskaner from Missouri

2.48/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Gold in color with excellent clarity and plenty of carbonation bubbles. There’s a fingernail of off white around the rim and covering a quarter of the top. I get the faintest corn aroma, but I really have to seek it out. I’m tasting faint corn. The mouth is watery and highly quaffable.

Dec 05, 2020
tp1962 from Illinois

4.82/5  rDev +137.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a good beer. An “Awful rating” just isn’t accurate or appropriate. This beer tastes good.... light .... crisp... session able ... and great with family and friends..
Not all beer needs to cost $6 or more for ten ounces... don’t get caught in the hype... drink it because you like it....don’t let opinions sway what you like!

Feb 08, 2020
AphenomAnon

*For "Lite" beer* #beer flavored water that tastes good.

When I first drank it I thought of iced tea, they managed to get the flavor without the body.
Advertised as an UltraLite low cal blahblahblah, This is one of the best tasting of all light beers. No floral hops but I do not enjoy that in a light. Just a smooth aftertaste from fresh bread.

Dec 06, 2019
wmscottsimpsonjr from Missouri

2.95/5  rDev +45.3%

This one's got some noble hops in the nose, plus a little caramel. The flavor has a hint of toast with pilsner malt. It's got a bit of flavor but watery as fuck.

Jul 26, 2019
robed from California

2.5/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Of the Budweiser products probably one of the better ones. The black can at least makes you look a bit cool when drinking it. If you find one fresh, cold, it's probably better than average

Jul 15, 2019
Oh_Dark_Star from Washington

1.28/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

L: Pale straw yellow two finger head with little lacing and dissipating quickly.

S: Almost no smell but bready water.

T: Watered down grain - this may be an improvement from the standard, but without a side by side I'd be hard to convince.

F: Thin but carbonated.

O: Another Midwest staple for those who think they found class.

May 31, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

2.15/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Quite possibly my least favorite from the Bud family. Had it on a few occasions and always thought it was kind of skunky. Always just tasted off. Just a notch above poor

May 05, 2019
Jugs_McGhee from Louisiana

3.3/5  rDev +62.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

BOTTLE:

I'm finding this surprisingly flavorful for a light lager of 99kcal, and surprisingly flavorful even compared to regular Budweiser. The caramel malt actually comes through in its taste, giving it a more diverse malt backbone than comparable light lagers with a bit more sweetness and body. Refreshing and nicely balanced, with a glimmer of floral hop flavour working its way in in addition to the usual grassiness.

Not watery or syrupy, nor is it redolent of any off-flavours (or overt adjunct). You can't say that about many value beers, let alone light lagers (so many are shallow simple watery garbage).

I don't see how one couldn't rate this at least above average in terms of the style; it's got more complexity and better balance than most I've tried. In terms of sheer flavor to kCal ratio, it's pretty strong (though Guinness probably wins out). I can imagine it better, but all in all it's rather well executed for what it is. I imagine many raters are just knocking it for being an AB-InBev product; I quite like it and definitely want another in this sitting.

Low B- / WORTHY

Mar 07, 2019
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

3.5/5  rDev +72.4%

It actually has decent flavor. It is not a traditional heavy lager. It is the best low calorie light beer made. Select 55 is water, much like Bud Light and Ultra Light. I also like Rolling Rock Light and Heineken Light. I wish this was more readily available, and I hope they continue to make it.

Oct 19, 2018
CR2036 from Pennsylvania

2.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12oz can marked with a fresh by date 18 SEP 18 into a Victory tall glass.

L: Pours a very light and clear yellow/gold with half a finger of bone white head.
S: Smells much like standard Budweiser with an ever so slight smell of mustiness. Not sure if this is because it's past its sell by date.
T: Tastes much like regular Budweiser at first with its distinct beechwood taste, followed by light corn and grain taste with some sweet malt. Very little hops taste and bitterness. Finishes with a slight bitterness that I can only attribute to the aftertaste of seltzer water.
F: Quite watery with okay carbonation. If this were any more carbonated I'd mistake it for seltzer water.

O: I paid $26 for a 30 pack of this. I bought it on the premise that it would be the middle ground between Budweiser and Bud Light. It does taste much like that, but it's lighter than both. It doesn't make me full like Bud or even Bud Light. These are so crushable. Only downside: there isn't much flavor. But the flavor that's there is just fine. For a 99 calorie beer it's actually pretty good. I can only imagine what the 55 calorie version tastes like, though. Maybe I'll try that after I'm finished with these...

Oct 19, 2018
Livyatan1996 from Missouri

2.22/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

My endless battle with gas stations, poor impulse control and depression have led to two 25oz cans of this sitting in my fridge after a bad day at work and a stop to fill the tank. dumped it into a teku so i can be ironic to myself, a stream of yellow, almost unhealthy piss looking beer came down. a big fluffy white head formed and instantly sizzled off. the aroma of a regular bud filled the area, but much sweeter. taste was exactly that, regular budweiser biscuit/water flavor but with a smack of sweetness and none of the earthy notes. it's still light on flavor and heavy on carbonation so it goes down refreshingly. considering my other consideration was a milwaukee's best i think i made an okay bad decision.

Aug 18, 2018
superspak from Ohio

3.53/5  rDev +73.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25 ounce can into lager glass, canned on 8/24/2017. Pours crystal clear medium golden yellow color with a 1 finger fairly dense and rocky white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of pale malt and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice robustness and balance of pale malt and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Fairly crisp/clean finishing. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitterness and carbonation. Medium-high carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, and fairly sticky balanced mouthfeel that is good. A bit thin, but not watery finish. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4.3%. Overall this is a good light lager. All around nice robustness and balance of pale malt and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink. Tastes like a more flavorful version of Bud Light/Regular. Supposedly all malt, and it's noticeable. Clean malts and solid earthy hop balance for the style. Definitely one of the best macro light lagers I've had. A nicely enjoyable offering, and great style example.

May 12, 2018
OldSchoolMike from North Carolina

3.54/5  rDev +74.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I bought a six-pack of this on my honeymoon, which I drank along with the near-case of leftover champagne. Enough said. Hard to find recently. I would buy it again, though.

Dec 13, 2017
CsRed from Michigan

I think people just have not given it a chance, also confusion of the select 55 which is nasty.
However select is smoother and less after taste. I love this beer and I don't think it's getting the attention it deserves.

Dec 04, 2017
randylenz from Illinois

3.19/5  rDev +57.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Listen...it's not the greatest but I like a light beer on occasion where I can drink 2-3 and not feel full or in the early stages of wanting to take a nap. On a hot Summer day it's refreshing...and there's nothing wrong with that.

Jun 13, 2017
stlfatguy from Missouri

2.77/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

More golden than the pale yellow that's common. Smell, eh, not much, rice, grain. Taste is clean enough, typical adjunct lager. A little bite and carbonation on the feel.

You know what this is. Would I trade one imperial stout for three of these? No. Would I rather have a nice craft ale? Yes. But it's very Consistent, relatively affordable, and ok if you drink it Cold. It is what it is and for that reaSon I'm ok Giving mid range marks

Jun 11, 2017
BrooksThompson from Missouri

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Admitantly i am an Anheuser-Busch fan. That being said, this is an average beer. As far as appearce it is fairly normal. Smell and taste are plain. Overall it's a good beer, Especially when trying to drink and not drink a lot of calories.

Feb 11, 2017
Davedrinkinbeer from Indiana

3.61/5  rDev +77.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

As far as light beers go, this is one of my favorites. Look when poured is typical to light beers, light yellow with a white head. Smell is surprising, to me I do smell grass, barley and possibly corn-- I was not expecting much of a smell, but yet it had a pleasant scent, not very strong but present for sure. Taste is definitely grass and rice, very consistent from start to finish. Feel is of course, light but not too carbonated, with little lingering aftertaste. Also beer is not dry at all, so it is very refreshing overall.

I enjoy Bud Select for what it is-- a light beer that is very refreshing. IMO this beer is the best out of all the 'Budweiser' products and is perfect for eating with meals due to it's light feel, or when it's time to quench your thirst on a hot summer day. Also, on another note, this is a great beer to drink to get drunk on-- it is only 3.2 grams of carbs per beer, and with 4.2% alcohol content, you can drink a shitload of these-- I think my personal best is 22 of these in one sitting. (then again I may have forgotten to count one or two!)

Jan 31, 2017
beerguy04 from Illinois

Pours very light yellow with a white head. Very carbonated. Smell is of rice and barley. Taste is sweet rice and barley. Mouthfeel is a little watery. Overall, better than bud light, but not as good as Budweiser.

Jan 06, 2017
The_Snow_Bird from Florida

Very very light in color, has a large white head that goes away very quickly. This beer hardly had a smell, had a grainy hint. Tasted like a malty lager heavily watered down.

Jan 01, 2017
BloodSoakedAleMug from New York

2.02/5  rDev -0.5%

I was feeling rather sadistic one night, quite in the mood to torture myself so I picked up a 25oz can of Budweiser Select. To my surprise, it wasn't absolutely sickening.

Look: Completely translucent with a white, three finger head that fizzles away quickly but retains a head for a while.
Smell: Sweet. Buttery corn. Mildly floral.
Taste: Not bad, once you get past the incredible off putting metallic flavor upfront. Tastes like a bud light, only marginally better. It's vegetal with lots of green apple and grainy flavors upfront with a moderately sweet honey taste. Finishes dry and floral, with notes of corn.
Feel: Probably the best part about this beer. It's light and crisp. Bubbly. Sightly dry, but sweet. Very thirst quenching.
Overall: Once you adjust to the crap factor, it's not too shabby, but in my opinion it's a lackluster beer, even for the adjunct light beer style.

Dec 24, 2016
Vaii from Mississippi

This is my go-to drink. It has been my favorite for a long time (well since the first time I tried one actually), I love the flavor! I love that it isn't as heavy as a Budweiser and not as light as a Bud Light. It's right in the middle and that's perfection in my opinion. There aren't any other beers I've found so far that match that not too heavy, not too light trait. It goes down smooth and it's very refreshing!

Nov 23, 2016
ThomasOConnell from Illinois

3.81/5  rDev +87.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very good light beer. Low calorie but great refreshing taste for a light beer. Being in St. Louis there is heavy advertising for it as a local beer. Best in cans, good clearing head.

Jul 11, 2016
Squire from Mississippi

3.3/5  rDev +62.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Ginger ale like appearance with large bubbles and minimal cap.

Aroma is mild with hints of light grain. I do not detect the caramel malt listed by the brewer, or the hops either.

Taste is richer than expected, mild but malty, hops appear in the finish and linger in the aftertaste. I taste what I can only describe as grain sweetness without identifying whether the sweetness comes from grain or something else. Not an objectionable level of sweetness, just a noticeable presence. The grain flavor is clean like a mild cornbread made with white corn grain. Mid palate I find the caramel malt which wasn't hiding but was next to the wall rather being out in the open. Hops appear just in time to put an end to the sentence.

Medium texture with a noticeable bubbly presence.

Overall it's not a bad jot at keeping a brew under 100 calories while retaining enough flavor to set it apart from seltzer water. For those seeking a low calorie brew with some flavor and no bitterness this one serves as well as any I've tried.

May 22, 2016