Budweiser Select | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.

Added by kbub6f on 11-13-2004

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,304 |  Reviews: 411
1.73/5  rDev -15.6%

After recently chatting with a few BAs in Lawrence I decided to try this new Light beer from AB. I read the press clippings but they said it wasn’t god-awful. Okay, I’m opened minded to new things.

Clear, pale gold in hue, there isn’t much shine to it nor was there much animation to liven up the liquid. The head didn’t form all that well, the white bubbles were quit compacted and at the apex the foam reached about a half finger in height. It quickly faded to a soapy cap and there was no subsequent lacing of note. The appearance, on the whole was respectable.

The nose is plum full of adjuncts, a beer brewed with a preponderance of barley smells like malt (this one doesn’t). At best I can get a whiff of grain, not bready grain but grain straight from a silo. There isn’t much sweetness, it seems stripped away and I get the feeling some “dirty” brewing tricks were used to accomplish this feet. Maybe not. Anyway, there isn’t any presence of hops. The potency of the nose is mild but oddly it isn’t saying anything anyhow. I can’t call it clean… empty is a more fitting description. Not inviting.

The palate is almost completely void of flavor, all I can find is a trace amount of sweetness that doesn’t seem derivative of malt. I get a vacant feeling drinking this beer (is it beer?). I would have to summon the literary talents of Steinbeck, Hemmingway, or Twain to articulate something more to talk about regarding taste. There is just nothing here. I’m sorry folks but beer should have flavor and it should be an agreeable flavor. Select fails to clear the first criteria. I’ll say this is true, it doesn’t taste like a typical AB beer because what is there to taste? I didn’t drink enough to see if it gave me an AB headache or not.

Light in body with firm carbonation, I’m sure the goal of this is to further hide any remaining flavors. The mouthfeel is a bit rough.

This is as bad as beer can get. It truly is a low point in the history of beer. In part because Select is not labeled a light beer or low carbohydrate, it is like AB is trying to fool the consumer yet again. Don’t believe the hype. It is a flavorless beer, it is for the masses that don’t like beer but want to get drunk or fit in. Select is as bad as Michelob Ultra. I purchased a 22-ounce bottle for $1.50 in Omaha and split it with BlueMooner. She gave up after a couple sips, I finished my glass for the sake of this review but the rest of the bottle went down the drain. I will never purchase or drink this beer again. I recommend you avoid this unfunny joke.

2.48/5  rDev +21%

Sampled this one along with a Bud Dry – thought they may be the same. But no, they’re close cousins, but a little different. The select is clear, amber yellow, slightly darker than the dry. Little more hoppy in the finish over Dry. (NO aftertaste say the marketing geniuses. – why would that be a good thing?) Awfully plain and generally tasteless, but still, not an unpleasant beer, was drinkable outside for an afternoon session. Yeah, better ones are out there awaiting

2.2/5  rDev +7.3%

If only there were a different rating system for this beer.

Appearance - Just like a Bud, Miller, or any other adjunct lager. Pale yellow and clear. Nothing remarkable about it.

Smell - What smell? I can smell a scarce hint of rice, and maybe, just maybe (or am I imagining it) hops.

Taste - The tasteless flavor taste of ricey adjunct, with an ever-so-slight, mystery hop presence. And the ads aren't joking. There is NO "aftertaste" to speak of. You only taste this beer when it's actually in your mouth. Once you swallow, it's like you never drank anything at all. They sure did hit their mark.

Mouthfeel - What mouthfeel? It's gone, quickly.

Drinkability - One might easliy drink a few of these and not remember drinking anything at all. I'm not quite sure how to rank this category. I suppose drinkability should mean that you want to drink more, and it's easy to drink quite a few of them.

I don't particularly want to drink more, because it's hard to recall what little taste this beer has.

Concerning how easy this beer is to drink... it goes down like water. I suppose it gets high rankings for that. I'll give it a 3.

If you want to drink beer without tasting anything, make no mistake, this is the beer for you.

2.14/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance-beautiful label on the bottle, poured into my pint glass leaving about an inch of fizzy white head that bubbles about before settling down a bit. Not too bad.

Smell-clean, whiffs of corn, no hop tendencies or malt profile to be found, clean as a whistle.

Taste-crisp upfront taste, some malt does permeate through onto my toungue but my lord this is light, finishes like vapor, it just dissapears.

Mouthfeel-nothing! it just dissapears, I know that's what they were going for but...my god.

Drinkability-this is going to become the new frat boy special and college girls who can't take real beer will love it. As for the beer itself you could drink as much as you want I guess.

Overall-I've never seen anything like this, even Michelob Ultra left me with something to taste and didn't just dissapear. I know that's what they were going for but damn. As for the beer, it's nuthing special don't go looking for it unless you like light beer for whatever reason. Sadly, A-B is gonna make billions off this stuff from previously noted frat boys and college girls who can't appreciate the taste of real beer anyway.

2.42/5  rDev +18%

Somebody brought one of these over to my house, so I had to try it because I was curious, but not curious to buy one for myself. Pours a light copper color with very little head and very light carbonation. I smelled it and thought "maybe my glass is empty, because I don't smell anything". Look down, and there is beer in my glass. So, very little or no aroma here. About the flavor. Imagine you had a standard Bud Light, then cut it with an equal amount of water. Literally, this beer has almost no flavor at all - slight hint of the standard Bud Light, but barely noticeable. Not even a beer. Hell, I'll just have some water instead. Tastes the same.

1.66/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Served from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. The color is straw yellow, with a thin bubbly head with some bit of retention. The smell is very corn-ish sweet. The taste is the standard corny sweet macro lager, with just a slight bit more bitterness than I'd expect from a light lager, and of course no aftertaste as they promised...well, except for the DMS aftertaste! Mouthfeel is thin and watery. As for drinkability, no thanks on another.

Well, I saw the Super Bowl commericial promising a new beer. In practice, I haven't had Budweiser or Bud Light in quite some time, but from what I remember, this tastes EXACTLY the same as any other macro, so I have to ask what's the point of packaging this in a bomber when it's nothing but the same old, same old?? The only thing nice about this is that the 22 oz was only 1.19, so no big loss to give it a try, but I'll never bother with this again.

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Ok new beer from the "Evil Empire"..lets see ..
Appearance ..well the usual urine colour of someone slightly dehydrated from a night on the town...no head..just spittle like lace.
Smell..of rice pudding not beer.
Taste? tastes like seltzer water ,with rice and cardboard.
mouthfeel is miserable..limp and rotten finishes with a wimper.
No waywould I buy more of this..usual low carb crap. Doesnt A-B know the low carb frenzy is almost over. I dont see the point in this beer they alreadyhave the abysmal Mich.Ultra..drank everywere by obese idiots with their plate of grease.

2.5/5  rDev +22%

Budweiser “Select” pours a clear, bright, and light golden amber from a very dark brown 12oz glass bottle with a twist off cap.
Head went to about two fingers before evaporating to absolutely nothing, zip, nada, as in poof! and gone! No ring, no lace, no foam anywhere in my 22oz beer glass, the surface of the beer is like a mirror and the sides of my glass are spotless.

Nose is a strong grain alcohol, which is surprising because of the relatively low alcohol content of this beer. Palate is a damp toasted rice with the astringent properties of alum, this beer has pucker power. The carbonation levels are right on the money and the sting of the gas bubbles on the tongue are welcome, but... where’s the beer?

Bottom line... where’s the beer?

1.78/5  rDev -13.2%

12 ouncer sampled. Born on dating. Pours very light straw, nose is non existant. Taste is ultra thin, Body is watery This is worthless swill. More wasting of decent water by AB. The best feature of this product is the "born on dating " concept. I wish many other brewery case us Beer drinkers that kind of usefull info. Pass this stuff by, support Micro brewers.

2.66/5  rDev +29.8%

Well, it *is* a light lager. It looks, well, clear, as a light lager should. Reasonably good head retention on this as well, kind of a fluffy head. Aroma is slightly metallic to me. Flavor is bland, yet crisp, as advertised. Mouthfeel is as stated, no front, mid, or aftertaste. Well carbonated. Not much going on in this beer, yet there isn't anything offensive. A thirst quencher, but that's about it.

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

Perhaps Bud Ultra Light is a more suitable name. Poured out to a light yellow golden color, with a short lived white lacy head. Medium light carbonation. Not much of a nose, but hints of stewed veggies and earthy notes were observed. Light airy taste of corn and hops could be a whole lot stronger, but considering this is low carb, it's not bad. Less flavor than Miller light, but a nice change and a bit less abrasive mouthfeel. Worth a try.

1.75/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Well, there isn't a whole heck of a lot to comment on here. I can definatly understand why people drink this stuff, it's very easy to drink, there is hardly anything to it.

Pours a very pale light gold in color with a very slight thin lace head that doesn't stick around. Nose is a little sweet and grainy, but only slightly, not much going on. Taste is squeaky clean, crisp as advertised, slight corn profile and a very, very slight bit of hops in there somewhere, barely detectable. Also a bit of fruitiness, also very slight, almost banana-like in a vague sort of way. Mainly there is only corn and that dies quickly into nothing at all. Mouthfeel is light, watery. There is no aftertaste at all to speak of. Drinkability is excellent, but so is water, I'm giving it a lower drinkability rating however because this just isn't interesting enough to make me want more. The finish is odd, it slams into nothing in the taste department, very dry... dry to the point where it almost gives me cotton mouth. You almost want to drink more just so your mouth doesn't stay like that. Maybe it's designed that way, hm.

So yeah, I can see why people drink this stuff, it's easy. Nothing to it. But I'm not interested, just another macro, but as light beer goes, it's probably a bit better than the competition except for the fact that you feel dehydrated after drinking one. Jables hit it right on.

Slàinte! (sort of)

1.86/5  rDev -9.3%

This poured a crystal clear light yellow color with a small white head. There honestly was not much to the smell, only a few traces of grain. The taste was very weak, with only hints of malt and a bit of hops near the end. What little taste there was vanished quickly. The mouthfeel was very thin, like carbonated water. As for drinkability... its certainly drinkable, but you won't want to drink more than one. I'm not at all impressed with this one, as usual when it comes to AB products.

1.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Served from twelve oz. bottle

Pours light yellow with effervescent bubblies all over. Bright white, quickly dissipating head rises and falls quickly. Bubbles persist and persist.

Aroma is lightly accented with some sweetness and maybe a hint, nay, a whisper of bitterness. Not exactly promising and perhaps a bit dissappointing from a brew claiming to be heavier on the hops.

Upon drinking I not only find it to be light, but completely void of body. Bud Select is a veritable black hole of body, and you can quote me on that. This bitch sucks the life out of your will to consume lighter beverages for an evening. The mouthfeel demands that you immediately pick up the next decent brew you see and let it coat your mouth to regain feeling in your mouth again. Otherwise you will feel dry and parched like you just walked eight miles through the desert just north of scottsdale in June with a pack and a snakebite.

The flavor is a tad shy of Budweiser. Actually it tastes like Budweiser for the first couple fractions of a second, then flavors of club soda take over for another half a second and then nothing, nothing has flavor until a better beer is consumed. I suspect you could go your whole life without tasting a damn thing after having this. I reckon any food would taste like boiled un buttered potatoes until you had a better beer to coat and re establish your mouth after this.

I've had dry Italian wines that made your tongue feel like a dry sponge, but this is worse, worse to the point of being a punch-line, seriously.

2.22/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance – This Light Lager looks just like it should. It is a light yellow in color and crystal clear with a nice, white head that came up an inch or so then dissipated rather quickly.

Smell – The grain here is typical American and very light. There’s also a nasty kind of sweetness here that seems a bit much.

Taste – The American grain comes off more like lemon-lime soda then malts. The sugars are vegetal and, contrary to the advertisement on the bottle, linger through a long, interminable finish.

Mouthfeel – This is light-bodied and highly carbonated. The “crisp, clean, refreshing finish,” promised by AB and required by the BJCP is absent.

Drinkability – I enjoy a good Light Lager, but this just didn’t cut it. It wasn’t refreshing, it had a long sweet finish, and the sugars were on par if not bigger than the malts.

2.58/5  rDev +25.9%

It tastes a lot like Michelob. A little hoppier than regular Bud, but with no nose whatsoever. The only notable feature of this beer is the complete absense of a bouquet, hence asinine "no aftertaste" marketing. The flavor stops with almost surgecal precision after the beer is gone. It freaked me out. On the brightside, this beer is about as drinkable as they come. If I got suckered into playing drinking games, etc, this would be a good way to go.

2.12/5  rDev +3.4%

Clear light gold color, darker by a shade than Budweiser. Head is very foamy and white, rises high and sinks lke a stone. Some limited comma-like lace. Aroma is a little pear-like with a standard malt sweetness, sharp, not seemingly hoppy. Mouthfeel is light, carbonation medium and toned down compared to some macros. Flavor echos the pear impression, a little too sharp and metallic with a bare sense of dry hops. The brew takes a powder mid mouth, fades out of any perspective, but unlike some Light/Low Carbs , doesn't finish quite as watery. Not good, not offensive, mildly drinkable with an OK mouthfeel.

1.74/5  rDev -15.1%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with a stuck-on plastic film label, “Born On Date” on the back label for freshness.

Appearance: Very pale yellow straw, perfect clarity with a thin stark-white lace on top.

Smell: Vague grain … very little to the nose.

Taste & Mouth Feel: I would have said it was nearly bone dry but there is a bitty slickness on the mouth feel … sort of dextrin-like, odd. Very crisp and extremely light bodied. Up front is an immaculate crisp bite, light dusty grain husk and that is about it. As soon as I thought I could taste something … everything vanished.

Drinkability & Notes: This beer is absolute rubbish … I can find more flavor in NA Beer.

Why? This beer was probably created to chip away at the macro-lager market. I am sure they are looking to grab more of the market even if it mildly cannibalizes some of their own brands.

2.43/5  rDev +18.5%

"Crisp" "No aftertaste" Hey- They set low goals and attain them!

This is the first On-Tap review of Select I see.

A bright gold color that the bartender insisted was darker than regular Bud. (I can't discern such minute differences). This acually had a white head that was "whipped" in consistency.

Aroma? Forget about it! We fear aroma.

I am not sure what "Crisp" is but the taste is inoffensive, at best. Light rice that disappears in the finish. It is remarkable how much AB can take something like this and make it almost taste like beer.

This is drinkable for the masses. My hypothesis: This is Light beer for people who don't yet want to admit that they like or feel the need for low calorie products emblazoned with that word "LIGHT". A positioning against Miller Lite more than a beer that stands on any merit.

2.02/5  rDev -1.5%

12 OZ bottle with a "Born on Date" of 17Feb05, 8 days old. This is as good as this beer is ever going to get.

Color is ultra clear extra pale yellow with a bit of a white head.

Smell is strong sweet corn and some grain with a detectable hop scent.

Taste is a little bit of corn sweetness and a faint sourness; very mild herbal hop hint and no bitterness. Really there isn't much flavor here.

Mouthfeel isn't there it is seltzer water.

This is drinkable in the same sense that water is drinkable, not much there to offend. This probably does taste a bit better than Budweiser Light does but there just isn't anything here for a beer advocate.

2.16/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured clear straw, no smell, maybe a slight sweet husk, taste was very watery, no real flavor, mouthfeel was like carbonated water, I was expecting something at least as good as regular Bud, but this stuff is seriously watery and tasteless, it makes Bud taste like craft beer! well....not quite, but you get my point.

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours out to a standard, golden color in the glass with a moderate-sized head. The aroma is faint and smells of light malt. The taste is very light, with a slight, residual sweetness. It tastes like Budweiser, only more watered down. Honestly, this should be called Bud Light, as it is more like the "King" (tougue in cheek here) than the actual Bud Light. The finish is indeed lacking, as it has no aftertaste, just as they planned it. It isn't a bad tasting beer, but it sure could use a bump in the flavor department. When judged against Michelob Ultra, Aspen Edge and Rolling Rock Green Light, it comes out on top.

1.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Co-worker bought this for her son in college and let us sample one since I brought 4 craft beers on a Friday to expose the office to a little better beer.

Appearance: Pale apple juice maybe? Very faint yellow, straw color. Foamy head like you'd see on a coke if you poured it too fast.

Smell: What smell? Faint hints of budweiser. Like you poured one of those 8 oz mini buds in a tall, frozen pitcher, the smell gets lost in the size and cold, but it is still there. Smells of basic malt with corn sugar. Kind of sickly sweet, but very, very muted.

Taste: More muted than the smell. It took my co-worker and I minutes to even find a taste. Try almost completely numbing your tongue then sample a bud. Hints of sickly sweet malt and corn sugar, but just hints. Its like the beer that wasn't.

Mouthfeel: Just slightly more body than Mic Ultra or water. Thin give it probably too much body. No after taste what so ever.

Drinkability: Horribly borning and plain, but still enough sickly sweetness to make me not want to go near this again.

The really should change this to Budweiser Anti-Beer.

3.11/5  rDev +51.7%

Saw an ad for this during the Daytona 500, first time I had heard of it. I believe this is a low carb beer, but it is not over hyped as a low carb beer. (Is the low carb fad dying out?). Sampled along with other low carb beers. In comparision to other low carb beers, I must say this one is the winner.

Appearance: Bright gold/yellow. Big foamy head that fell to a small dollop on top of the liquid with a ring around the glass. Minimal lacing, but plenty of bubbles dancing in the beer.

Smell: Minimal. Hint of hop(s), a little floral. Trace malt, or would that be the customary adjuncts?

Taste: A strict macro drinker would say, "Tastes like beer." Not quite a Bud, a little "softer".

Mouthfeel: Thin, light bodied, very carbonated.

Drinkability: OK, easy to have more than one, if you want. I still can't believe this is a low carb offering.

2.63/5  rDev +28.3%

On its first day of release we selected a cold 6 pack of Budweiser Select from the fridge at Brown Derby in Springfield, Mo. It is mashed longer than the original, in order to produce a cleaner finish. Yellow-straw color with a 1-finger white head that fades before you can empty the bottle leaving minimal lace. A malt and rice aroma. Thin body cooked veggy (corn) and malt taste with high carbonation and like soda-water it finishes dry.
This low-carb beer with its multimillion dollar ads and packaging promise a "bolder" taste actually has little to offer me.
Drinkability for the macro croud is likely to be high. I am having a tough time finishing it.

Budweiser Select from Anheuser-Busch