Budweiser Select | Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser SelectBudweiser Select
Budweiser SelectBudweiser Select

Missouri, United States

Style: Light Lager

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.

Added by kbub6f on 11-13-2004

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,299 |  Reviews: 410
2.62/5  rDev +28.4%

This is my first review, and I thought I'd kick it off with a light macro since I happen to be enjoying it right now! I've been wanting to try this for awhile, but it is only sold in sealed 18 packs around me. So, I decided to risk it and just grab an 18 pack one day.

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pilsner glass. Pure white head (about 1 inch) died away within about 15 seconds. The color is a pale yellow, while being slightly darker than Bud Light (or regular Bud for that matter).

After noting it's rather normal, average appearance I went in for a smell. This is the worst part of this beer. The smell is not appetizing at all, coming off as bland and almost metallic. Luckily, the taste and drinkability save this beer. The mouthfeel is of corn or rice, with an odd aftertaste (there isn't much of an aftertaste though, goes away quickly). The highest score for this particular beer is it's drinkability. You can certainly down a few, and it can quench your thirst on a hot day. It's also only 99 calories if you're concerned about that.

In the end, it's a rather bland beer that smells bad, but makes up for it slightly with good drinkability and a nice low calorie count.

2.43/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from 12 oz can into mug. Color is slightly darker than the average light beer, and the head slowly dissipates, leaving no lacing. Slight smell of flowers, but nothing else either bad or good there. Initial taste is of metal and carbonation; slightly skunky as well. After the first few sips, taste become that of the smell: not a whole lot either bad or good. Overall, decent for what it is; it's rather inoffensive in most categories, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have another.

1.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Pale straw color with a thin white head. Not impressive. Smells like some grain and mostly water. Taste the same. Why is this even produced? Mouthfeel is as thin as anything I have had before. Over carbonated. Some metallic aftertaste...from a bottle? Yuck.

2.77/5  rDev +35.8%

Well, as some people on here have said, I hate Bud Light. I think it has a sharp, unpleasant taste that continues to astonish me as to how people drink it so often. Budweiser is decent but far from the top. That being said, Bud Select is a pretty decent brew that I have no trouble drinking. Of course, 2.25 for a 25 oz mug here at a bar in Plantation, FL (Landlubber's Raw Bar for all you Broward folks who may read this) helps , but regardless it is something I'm having an easier time tolerating than I was expecting. The foamy head is actually pretty impressive, although it's a 25 ouncer not a pint but still. The taste is a tolerable mix of corn, hops and carbonation but not an overpowering sharpness that I get from Bud Light. It seems to me that Bud Select is very unappreciated among the beer buyers because although this isn't top of the line, it certainly beats out BL and honestly I'd rather have this than Budweiser also.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.97/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

With want of better things to do, I went to the local wine and spirits and ventured to try some new beers. I saw this one sitting on the shelf next to his sister, the Select 55 (which I particularly like). Attractive black packaging screams "try me". I picked up a 6'er to sip on while I was making dinner.

Straight out of the bottle, I see a golden Amber color with light lacing. Looks simple but also deceiving as it seems to have some texture as well.

At first crack it smells strongly like classic budweiser (with its signature skunk), hints of metallic tomato dissolving faintly and a few "dark" floral notes. Light ale undertones, and I'm also getting the obvious corn/yeast ale aroma swirling around in there, signifying indeed that it is still a cheap domestic beer. When smelled up close there's that classic unpleasant budweiser skunk that makes you want to gag. (as the liquid in the bottle disappears, so does the skunk, fortunately.) This beer smells like everything and nothing at the same time. Impressive?

As the beer hit my palate I was mildly appalled but after 2 seconds a "mask" kicked in and somehow brainwashed me to believe the beer I was drinking was actually decent. Sneaky, if not ackward. After I swallowed I was left with a pleasant aftertaste of bitter dark chocolate (mild) and a dark roma tomato flavor. Very very light floral notes remain on the back of the tongue.

The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated - definitely not smooth but not soda water either. The finish remains for about 8 seconds after it's down the hatch. Towards the bottom of the bottle the skunkiness returns (Dagnabit!)

This beer is not one of my favorites. Would I buy it again? Maybe in a pinch. I actually prefer the Bud Select 55 over this - perhaps because the skunk notes are watered down and the clashing isn't near as intense.

Recommended if you are looking to try something new. Don't set your hopes too high, though.

Born on date : Jan 5, 2010; Review date : Feb 17, 2010.

1.83/5  rDev -10.3%

"After trying 3 other horrible macro adjunct lagers, you can say Im less than thrilled to try another." - fellow BA MOB210SA

"Oh! The Places You'll Go! You'll be on your way up! You'll be seeing great sights! You'll join the high fliers who soar to high heights. You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed. You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. Except when you don't.
Because, sometimes, you won't. I'm sorry to say so but, sadly, it's true that Bang-ups and Hang-ups CAN happen to you. You CAN get all hung up in a prickle-ly perch. And your gang will fly on. You'll be left in a Lurch. You'll come down from the Lurch with an unpleasant bump. And the chances are, then, that you'll be in a Slump. And when you're in a Slump, you're not in for much fun. Un-slumping yourself is not easily done." - Dr. Seuss

When I embarked on the CANQuest, I had no idea just how much macroswill existed in CANs, although I know now. Seeing "Light Lager" or "American Adjunct Lager" in the Style column only reminds me of the Slump part of all of the places that the CANQuest has taken me. And on that note ...

My pour resulted in two fingers' worth of foamy, bone-white head exploding with CO2 bubbles that fell like a souffle when the door is banged closed. It did leave some nice lacing as a parting gift, though. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-plus clarity (it gave me X-ray vision, allowing me to see through walls). Nose was an unholy combo of metallic, cereal, and a light lager-ish sweetness as a reminder of what could have been. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a bland, watery taste in the mouth. "Full flavor" read the CAN and yet I found myself wondering, "Full of what?" Finish was equally bland and boring. It is not that this tasted bad or foul, it just did not taste at all. Oof.

2.14/5  rDev +4.9%

Rather large 3 finger head resulted from the usual pour that was the same manner as the other but produced more head. Fluffy quickly vanishing head that is sinking as I watch it. White and fluffy leaving some lightly scattered lacing, suprisingly.

These are horribly hard to describe in terms of smell becuase there is practically nothing there.
The more than common light sweet corn. Nothing else besides that.

Completly lacking in flavor for any style. This beer is very light and only has a slightly bitter taste, only a small metallic taste. Why would anyone drink this?

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

Always good to warn a fellow beer drinker when you happen to sip someone else's crappy beer. Tastes mostly like water with a little bit of corn, but more than the corn is a metallic blood flavor. If you were to play some beer pong, I guess this wouldn't be a horrible choice.

3.09/5  rDev +51.5%

I was not impressed by the color or texture of the beer but it is not all about appearance. It has a good smell but quite weak. It has a really similar taste to bud light cant tell much difference in the two. It has a light mouthfeel that is not over powering with carbonation and its drinkability is rather nice it goes down quite well and is rather refreshing. From a light beers point of view it is defintley a decent beer. I still prefer bud light!!

2.13/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap, poured into a glass stein.

Pours a very clear light golden color with almost no head at all. Nose is super light with a very light hoppiness.

Taste is a bit richer than bud heavy with a decent malt backbone for an adjunct lager. Very little hoppiness it's not great but pretty easy to drink when cold.

3.67/5  rDev +79.9%

I cannot stand Bud Light. in fact, most "lite" beers are kinda bad. Having said that, I find this beer to be quite nice. It actually has pretty decent flavor . This should be the light beer choice of Bud drinkers everywhere, not it's super selling sister Bud Light.

2.8/5  rDev +37.3%

For some reason, that I can't explain, I actually like Bud Select. I like it much more than Bud Light. I find Bud Select to have a better taste and flavor than Bud Light. It's not a great beer, but it is one that I will drink on occasion. And it's low calorie, so it must be healthy for you, right?

3.02/5  rDev +48%

Poured an attractive golden color into a plastic cup. Slight aroma of grain and fruit but very weak. Bud Select tastes alot like a Budweiser and is also very drinkable.

Overall not a bad beer, goes well with pizza or any other kind of food. A good everyday drinker. Sometimes less is more.

1.66/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A - Corny clear yellow. Icky. Small bright white head, disappeared within about 15-20 seconds.

S - Like most poor domestic macrobrews. Corn, cereal, and water.

T - Like cereal-corn water. Reminds me alot of Bud-Light.

M - Feels like soda-water in my mouth, very light and carbonated.

D - Bad. For folks that are into Bud Light and other popular Macro-lagers I must say that the taste isn't far off, so I suppose it's a good "low-cal" option for them. For me? I won't drink it again.

2.25/5  rDev +10.3%

Grabbed a can of this from the grocery store for $1.49. I figured, why not? I used to drink this exclusively when it first came out (before my eyes were opened), so how bad could it be now.

Poured into my pilsner glass. Pours a crystal clear pale yellow with a huge billowy white head on top. Decent retention; left some sticky lace in its wake. Scents of corn, grains, and crackers. The body is extremely thin and wet. No crisp bite at all, even though I can see plenty of carbonation in this beer. Flavors of buttered corn and white bread. Very weak. Drinkability is high as it's like drinking corn flavored-water, but who'd want to? If you're gonna get a macro, there's better than this out there.

1.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A - A light straw, almost piss colored pour with a small amount of head that dissipates very quickly

S - Smell is just horrible, smells of corn and wheat, but honestly nothing appetizing

T - Nearly no taste at all, maybe a little corn and wheat, matching the smell, but honestly it is almost water.

M - Very thin, expected from a light macro-brew, a decent amount of carbonation, but did not help out at all

D - Easy to drink because of nearly no taste and very thin makeup

Not a great beer, but something to make us college kids feel like they're drinking something classic. Not something I'll buy, and this one was given to me by a friend.

2.56/5  rDev +25.5%

It is not the worst macrobrew that I have ever tried.

A: Light gold

S: Little to no smell off this beer

T: decent beer taste but no complexity or body

M: very light and crisp

D: This is the high point of the beer, you could drink it all day long if you like the taste.

Crisp taste and good drinkability for a light lager keep this beer from being a total flop. I definitely would not recommend this beer to anyone in search of a decent beer.

2.25/5  rDev +10.3%

I'm confused. How did this beer end up being put in the American light lager category? This is supposed to be Budweiser's great step up. Oops. Apparently, this is the best they can do.

There was a touch of maltiness in this beer if one really looks hard for it, giving the mouthfeel a moderate leg up on the norm for light lagers. Finishes well, as a Bud should. Other than that, it looks, smells, and tastes like yellow dye and Dasani.

Not as grainy as its predecessors, which is probably a good thing. Not as metallic either. But this is still an unacceptable brew for a American beer. Expensive for the category.

1.68/5  rDev -17.6%

I'll begin saying i'm not a fan of regular Budweiser and fewer light beers.

A: Golden color, the head of foam have a finger thick and comes in a giant black can, which seems like a energy drink.

S: Musty, the aluminum from the can hits your nose;

T: Acceptable, classic lager malt with floral background and grains;

M: Watery and warm, light body and insignificant carbonation, i felt like i was drinking a non-alcoholic beer;

D: A bad beer + 99 calories = lousy beer.

2.75/5  rDev +34.8%

Pours a light straw color with little head that disappears almost instantly. There's really not too much going on with this one: and that's why I think it's not an awful beer. Rice and grain come through. That's all. I don't mind drinking these during the game...they're incredibly light and boring. Drinkability is really what this is all about. I suppose that's the difference.

2.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Never realized this qualified as a light lager until I saw it here, but it looks the part - light straw reminiscent if a Miller Lite or the ilk. About an 3/4 inch of head in a pint glass quickly foams down to just a bit of residue on top. Smell reminds me a bit of a Mexican macro lager as opposed to an American one - i.e. it smells like fermented grain instead of just... grain. Taste is weak even for an American light beer. It does have a bit of maltiness in the aftertaste, but it fades quickly. The initial taste (and lingering aftertaste) is only slightly different from seltzer water. It is, of course, highly drinkable, but doesn't score perfect marks even in that category - it's problematic when I have to keep looking back to remember what I'm drinking. You like Bud? Get a Bud Light and save some money. You like beer? Look elsewhere.

2.28/5  rDev +11.8%

Unremarkably unremarkable....

A: Whispy golden yellow, shallow lacing.

S: Wet cereal grains.

T: Who knows? It sort of tastes like dry grain, fades diacetal twangy and fades into nothingness. Water really.

M: Poland Springs

What is this supposed to be? The website says it uses Bavarian Hops...really? That's interesting, because it would appear they are nowhere to be found. "Full Flavor"..yeah it sure is full of diacetal twang. Although, you sure can pound em. Hence the drinkability score. (although you want to stop hurting your liver for the flavor equivalence of water.)

2.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Serving type - can

Appearance - To be honest, I drank this straight out of the can, but judging by the style of beer it is, I'm pretty sure it would be similar to other BMC light beers.

Smell - Barely anything to it, but it has that light beer smell to it.

Taste - What the hell is this? I know this is supposed to be a light beer, but there's minimal flavor going on here. I've had worse, but this is insanely watered down.

Mouthfeel - Like carbonated water with a hint of beer flavor to it.

Drinkability - Even if it's like water, the taste will prevent you from wanting too much of this stuff.

Overall - I try to cut the BMC stuff some slack (it serves it's purpose), but this is just bad. There are plenty of other, better marco lagers if that's what you're after.

2.53/5  rDev +24%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains light malts, adjuncts and a very tiny touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of grain and light malts. Then there's an adjunct sweetness that comes in. There's very little hops presence. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful but it goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to it, mild kick, decent representation of a lackluster style, overall it's just another fizzy yellow beer, but it's at least better than AB's other light beer.

Budweiser Select from Anheuser-Busch