Budweiser Select | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Brewed with two-row and roasted caramel malt for a rich color, and a blend of hand-selected premium American and Bavarian hops for balance and flavor. Budweiser Select spends approximately twice as long as regular beers in the brewhouse, which results in lower carbohydrate and calorie content after fermentation.

Added by kbub6f on 11-13-2004

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Reviews: 400 | Ratings: 1,268
2.5/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

I drank 32 of these one night for a buddy's graduation party. I'd say I'm average as far as tolerance goes but after 6-8 beers I'm usually in a good world. Drinking 32 of these speaks volumes about how watery they are. Granted it was an entire day, it was just sad how much money I thought I was saving with these. Taste was like water, easy to drink and I thought easy to get drunk. Smell is mediocre to bad. 1 to 2 fingers of head if poured perfectly. The color is laughable. Won't buy again.

3.02/5  rDev +41.8%

Poured an attractive golden color into a plastic cup. Slight aroma of grain and fruit but very weak. Bud Select tastes alot like a Budweiser and is also very drinkable.

Overall not a bad beer, goes well with pizza or any other kind of food. A good everyday drinker. Sometimes less is more.

2.7/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A step up in drinkability from Bud Light, this beer seems to be the same thing minus the metallic aftertaste. Head, color, etc. are not important to this beer. It is all about not having an aftertaste.

This beer has its place at an insurance party's barbecue. Finicky people will drink it because it is an improved version of a famous beverage: we know how the average American adores anything famous.

I have to admit, I still purchase this when my in-laws come to town, something that they will drink and I can stomach.

1.66/5  rDev -22.1%

Holy crap! I was trapped at a family outing, and a few bottles of Budweiser Select had been left in the fridge from the previous fall (so age could possibly be an issue).

I try to be fair, I appreciate what macro lagers are, but this is just crap, plain and simple. Again, I might have had a bad bottle, but if this is what it's supposed to taste like, I can't imagine even the lowest of common denominators thinking this is acceptable, much less "select".

Once of the worst I've had thus far.

3.7/5  rDev +73.7%

This is another beer to mow and play golf with. It is good for that at least. I usually have this in cans when i do have it and it tastes fine smells ok drinks well, and is cheap and easy to find. It is like the rest of these mass produced beers. I would drink it again.

2.77/5  rDev +30%

Well, as some people on here have said, I hate Bud Light. I think it has a sharp, unpleasant taste that continues to astonish me as to how people drink it so often. Budweiser is decent but far from the top. That being said, Bud Select is a pretty decent brew that I have no trouble drinking. Of course, 2.25 for a 25 oz mug here at a bar in Plantation, FL (Landlubber's Raw Bar for all you Broward folks who may read this) helps , but regardless it is something I'm having an easier time tolerating than I was expecting. The foamy head is actually pretty impressive, although it's a 25 ouncer not a pint but still. The taste is a tolerable mix of corn, hops and carbonation but not an overpowering sharpness that I get from Bud Light. It seems to me that Bud Select is very unappreciated among the beer buyers because although this isn't top of the line, it certainly beats out BL and honestly I'd rather have this than Budweiser also.

1.16/5  rDev -45.5%

This beer is bad. Bud Light is bad enough, but this is like they took Bud Light, and squeezed the last drop of taste out of the beer.

It really has no body, smell, or flavor whatsoever.

I really wish I could have given this a zero on T, M, and D.

The only purpose I can see for this beer is when it's 100 degrees outside, you're parched, and you need something you can slam real quick to quench your thirst.

2.97/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

With want of better things to do, I went to the local wine and spirits and ventured to try some new beers. I saw this one sitting on the shelf next to his sister, the Select 55 (which I particularly like). Attractive black packaging screams "try me". I picked up a 6'er to sip on while I was making dinner.

Straight out of the bottle, I see a golden Amber color with light lacing. Looks simple but also deceiving as it seems to have some texture as well.

At first crack it smells strongly like classic budweiser (with its signature skunk), hints of metallic tomato dissolving faintly and a few "dark" floral notes. Light ale undertones, and I'm also getting the obvious corn/yeast ale aroma swirling around in there, signifying indeed that it is still a cheap domestic beer. When smelled up close there's that classic unpleasant budweiser skunk that makes you want to gag. (as the liquid in the bottle disappears, so does the skunk, fortunately.) This beer smells like everything and nothing at the same time. Impressive?

As the beer hit my palate I was mildly appalled but after 2 seconds a "mask" kicked in and somehow brainwashed me to believe the beer I was drinking was actually decent. Sneaky, if not ackward. After I swallowed I was left with a pleasant aftertaste of bitter dark chocolate (mild) and a dark roma tomato flavor. Very very light floral notes remain on the back of the tongue.

The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated - definitely not smooth but not soda water either. The finish remains for about 8 seconds after it's down the hatch. Towards the bottom of the bottle the skunkiness returns (Dagnabit!)

This beer is not one of my favorites. Would I buy it again? Maybe in a pinch. I actually prefer the Bud Select 55 over this - perhaps because the skunk notes are watered down and the clashing isn't near as intense.

Recommended if you are looking to try something new. Don't set your hopes too high, though.

Born on date : Jan 5, 2010; Review date : Feb 17, 2010.

1.65/5  rDev -22.5%

Ahh, yet another failed attempt at beer by Anheuser Busch.

A - Pours a very pale yellow with a very fizzy head that dies quickly.

S - Slight smell of hops, but not very dominant. Stale aroma as well.

T - Carbonated water with a hint of beer (I suppose this is what low carb means)

M - Very high carbonation factor, lingering even after you've swallowed. Very light lager with no density.

D - You could drink an entire case of these if they didnt have alcohol in them. This brew goes down very easily but I just cant get past the taste and aftertaste.

I would not recommend this beer for a light lager.

1.45/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance was a pale golden color with a frothy white head.
Aroma of lightly sweet grain.
Flavor was barely noticable, just some very light honey and hints of grain.
The boring lack of taste is still better than the horrid taste of some of their other products.

1.92/5  rDev -9.9%

A: This beer is a very light, clear amber color, with a quickly dissipating head with little retention. You could pass it off as apple juice.

S: It has a kind of soapy smell to it, I don't know a better way to describe it.

T: Tastes like a typical American Macro, but with a funny aftertaste. When compared to other macros that I like, it is definitely near the bottom in this category.

M: It feels like most macros, well carbonated, fairly smooth.

D: I don't think I could have more than a couple of these, very poor considering the beers in its class.

American Macros are supposed to be inexpensive, easy to drink, and taste decent. This beer is more expensive (in my area) than all other mainstream macros by $2-4 per case. This beer fits into the easy to drink category, but fails on the decent taste category, not good, especially for a macro.

1.4/5  rDev -34.3%

This beer is Budweiser's attempt to create a beer that is virtually tasteless. I think they succeeded in doing this fairly well.

When you pour this beer into the glass it looks like every other piss beer out there. The right amount of head that you would expect from every other light beer in America. Quick to rise and then quick to fade away.

The mouth feel is about as sharp as razor blades. Granted it isn't quite as bad as other beers like Natural LIght or Milwaukee's Best, but it is a close follower.

There really is no taste whatsoever. The only taste you get is from the smell of the beer which really is about as bland as an unsalted saltine. Then you ask, "Why eat a saltine with no salt?" Exactly my point. The only thing that this beer has up on bud light is the lack of repulsive after taste that lingers around for hours after being consumed.

In summation it is just Bud Light without the lingering after taste.

2.26/5  rDev +6.1%

About the best thing that can be said about this beer is that it's relatively Atkins- friendly, being a low-carb beer. It definitely was nothing to write home about, having an extremely bland flavor and lack of character. While making a low-carb beer may be an admirable goal, it seems to me that real beer lovers would prefer one with more carbs, albeit flavor and character.

2.45/5  rDev +15%

Serving Type: Bottle, poured into Budweiser glass.

A: Very Light, not much color. Head and lacing disappear almost instantly.

S: Very light also, almost smells like beer.

T: Smooth and easy to drink. Very slight taste of hops, but nothing to get excited about. I'd call it the soda pop of beer.

M: Extremely light. Feels very watered down, almost non-existent beer feel.

D: Certainly easy to drink. One step up from O'Douls but less flavor. Almost like a regular Budweiser cut with 50% water, or a Bud Light cut with 25% water. If you're looking for refreshment without taste, this is the beer for you...

Overall, it's not a very good beer. This is lighter than light beer. If Dasani made beer-flavored water, this is what it would taste like.

2.31/5  rDev +8.5%

Looks like your common canned beer when poured. Smells like nothing that I could tell, but had a surprisingly crisp mouthfeel when drinking it.

Was a pretty decent beer to take along camping, a time when you aren't focused so much on quality as you are on quantity.

3.53/5  rDev +65.7%

A: very light straw
S: mild, almost non-existent
T: Very low to no bitterness. I cannot taste the alcohol at all (which is a plus for me), and I love the bready/yeast finish
M: A lot of carbonation with a very thin body. Almost like soda-water
D: I could drink this all day. It goes down crisp and is very refreshing (not to sound like a commercial). Think a lawn chair, a warm summer day, and fresh cut grass.

This is not trying to be anything other than what it is, and I think it does it much better than the other light beers I've tasted.

2.97/5  rDev +39.4%

This used to be one of my go to beers. It is refeshing after working on a hot day or mowing the yard. It has to be one that you go to when it is your first that day or when your only other option is a bmc light version. It has a flavor that reminds me of my fathers beer choice but doesn't get worse until the third one. Over all there are thousands more that are better, but if your looking for an economical and lower calorie choice then this is the best that is out there of the light beer choices. I don't keep it in my fridge since my palate ahas developed.

2.62/5  rDev +23%

This is my first review, and I thought I'd kick it off with a light macro since I happen to be enjoying it right now! I've been wanting to try this for awhile, but it is only sold in sealed 18 packs around me. So, I decided to risk it and just grab an 18 pack one day.

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pilsner glass. Pure white head (about 1 inch) died away within about 15 seconds. The color is a pale yellow, while being slightly darker than Bud Light (or regular Bud for that matter).

After noting it's rather normal, average appearance I went in for a smell. This is the worst part of this beer. The smell is not appetizing at all, coming off as bland and almost metallic. Luckily, the taste and drinkability save this beer. The mouthfeel is of corn or rice, with an odd aftertaste (there isn't much of an aftertaste though, goes away quickly). The highest score for this particular beer is it's drinkability. You can certainly down a few, and it can quench your thirst on a hot day. It's also only 99 calories if you're concerned about that.

In the end, it's a rather bland beer that smells bad, but makes up for it slightly with good drinkability and a nice low calorie count.

3.81/5  rDev +78.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very good light beer. Low calorie but great refreshing taste for a light beer. Being in St. Louis there is heavy advertising for it as a local beer. Best in cans, good clearing head.

i cant really say this beer tastes bad, it would actually have to taste like something to taste bad.
almost like a highly carbonated seltzer water that someone poured a few ounces of bud into.
a bit of grainy astringent flavor
bone dry, as soon as you think your are tasting something it quickly dissipates.
not good but not offensive either.

1.64/5  rDev -23%

I got a FREE sample of this at my local bar. The Budweiser Select girls were there and everything. They poured a small cup of it for me and I sat down with 2 of my friends. We had already been drinking beforehand, mind you. We each take a drink at the same time, and each of us had the same face...disgusting! Granted it is a "smooth" beer, but there was absolutely NO flavor whatsoever and the taste was not good at all. Two of us shoveled the rest of our cups off to our other friend because he will drink anything ;-)

I certainly do not recommend this beer at all.

2.89/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad beer, but not a great one either. Best enjoyed from a bottle, bud select is what I'd describe as a party beer. Something you take to a party since I wouldnt care if someone took a couple bottles since its not very expensive at all. Ive had it in a can, which makes it taste bland and frothy. I was lucky enough to actually find a place that has it on tap, but they served it in a chilled, way too cold, mug, which ruins the taste. The best bet is from a bottle. It looks and tastes like any other budweiser beer, but does have smooth aftertaste as advertised. Its smell is practically nonexistant. Its smooth aftertaste makes it an ideal party beer. Not a bad beer, but its still not a superb beer.

2.45/5  rDev +15%

Best I can describe is watery. It is basically a light beer and that reflect in the taste. It does have a crisp feel but that may be due to the temperature it is served at, but falls flat on taste. It is average in color for the type of beer that it is. It is best served extremely cold in my opinion. Once it warms a little the crisp taste quickly erodes and you are left with a rather bitter tasting very watery flavor.

3.08/5  rDev +44.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I started drinking this beer when I was on a low carb diet. It fit the bill for me to a T. Smooth, easy, maybe a little too easy to drink with a taste that isn't offensive, it is the perfect diet beer. Miler Lite to me is bitter , with a tang and offensive, Coors is like water as is Bud 55, at least this beer has some taste and will give me a buzz. A lot of the other premium light beers aren't light at all. Select gives you the right balance between calorie/carbs and taste.

This is my go-to drink. It has been my favorite for a long time (well since the first time I tried one actually), I love the flavor! I love that it isn't as heavy as a Budweiser and not as light as a Bud Light. It's right in the middle and that's perfection in my opinion. There aren't any other beers I've found so far that match that not too heavy, not too light trait. It goes down smooth and it's very refreshing!

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last