ZiegenBock Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Brewed in Houston, ZiegenBock is a beer of the South. Only available in Texas, this American-style amber lager, offers notes of roasted grains in the aroma and a sweet, smooth taste with a hop finish. The select imported hops and specialty malts create a taste worthy of a 2006 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal.

Added by kbub6f on 04-24-2002

4.55/5  rDev +61.9%

3.47/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

2.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Had this on 2017-04-04 in Arlington, TX at the Texas Rangers baseball stadium from a 16 oz can.

Very little aroma. Just light grain. Flavor is lightly toasted white bread with some mild caramel. Watery. About what you'd expect from a ballpark macro. Good enough for an 81 degree evening while watching the game against the Cleveland Indians.

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%

I'm not a beer pro but I have been all over the world and drunk a lot of beer and this is a good beer. Not too heavy good taste for an amber.

1.82/5  rDev -35.2%

There isn't a lot here that I can say, that hasn't been said already. I agree that it excels in being mediocre. How this won the bronze of any kind of contest is dumbfounding, even in a competition focused on commercial breweries.

Look is not that impressive. It's a dark amber with a small beige head that dissipates quickly. No real lacing to speak of. But I actually rate the look even more poorly than I would normally rate it, due to the fact that there's nothing amber about the flavor of this beer. I strongly suspect there's some caramel color going on here. It would be exceedingly difficult to brew a beer this dark, and have it genuinely be this color, and still have such a flat, nonexistent body, and such a deep lack of complexity.

Smell is SPOT ON like a loaf of french bread. The yeast and grain really comes through, but that is the extent of the flavor. It's bland... just like a loaf of french bread. Actually, I think I've had plain french bread that had far more flavor than this beer.

Taste and feel go hand in hand, so I'm just going to tackle those together. This beer is bland, bland, BLAND. Practically a sparkling water. No richness, no depth, very low acidity AND bitterness. Not dry enough to hit the "refreshing" button, not sweet enough to compensate for its complete lack of anything else. You could put a breadstick and a lemon wedge into a liter of club soda, and get the same flavor we've got going on here.

And like another reviewer said. I don't just hate on these Anheuser-Busch mock-craft beers just because they're sneaky bulls--t from a macrobrewery. I hate on them because they're genuinely not good. Why would I pay $8 for this when I could get Abita or Sierra Nevada or Left Hand for that kind of price range? Nobody should. These big breweries need to seriously up their game if they don't want people thrashing them for trying to horn in on the craft beer market. It's fine if they wanna actually step up and play ball, but it's clear they're just half-assing it.

Thanks, I'm out.

2.31/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.81/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.54/5  rDev +61.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

3.69/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.46/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was aware of ZiegenBock being a Texas-only beer, but its exposure was remarkable; it seemed to be everywhere in the Metroplex. I'll give just about any beer a whirl, and that's what I chose to do with ZiegenBock. From a 12 ounce bottle, but consumed at home in California (I hope I'm not breaking any rules about that), on to the beer:

A half-inch of fuzzy-looking head sits above this dark amber nectar with visible bubbles running through it. A few splashes of lace and good head retention makes this beer something to look at. There's little to smell, as the aroma is very weak. I smells a splash of fruity esters and nothing else. ZiegenBock reminded me more of a light amber lager than a bock, as overall, the taste is very soft. Light fruity esters with a shade of grain, topped with a soft toasted accent. There's too much carbonation in the the light body, although it is a beer that is easy to drink.

My curiosity is cured and I ticked off this cult beer, but ZiegenBock on its own is nothing worth noting. Stick with Michelob Amber Bock if you want an Anheuser-Busch brewed bock.

2.67/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Looks dark brown. Color and "bock" in the name are deceptive, though. Watery and not much flavor, allowing some "off" flavors to come through. Plenty of fizz though. Drying finish. Overall, meh.

2.35/5  rDev -16.4%

2.66/5  rDev -5.3%

I'll be honest here. I don't particularly like forking my money over to AB-InBev if I don't have to. This is not a beer that I seek out and buy, but, because of the people I've known and the places I've been, it's not hard to find Ziegen Bock and it's not hard to receive it for free. All that being said, this is an okay beer if you want something refreshing with a hint of character. It's decent on tap (myself and seven or eight other people spent a couple weeks killing a keg of the stuff back in the spring of 2014) and you can do a lot worse. I'm not going to go too far into appearance, smell, feel, that kind of stuff, because it's Shiner Bock without the soul. But it's pretty good if you lower your standards a bit. And hey! Who doesn't love a free beer or twelve?!

Too good health and okay beer.

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.93/5  rDev -31.3%

Not my favorite. Honestly, it's a knock-off Shiner Bock, but lacks the quality of a good Shiner. It seems to be missing a little bit of everything. For instance, the carbonation was there, but not quite the right amount. The taste leans a bit toward a light beer as opposed to a darker, traditional amber bock. It wasn't horrible, but wasn't all that impressive for me.

3.67/5  rDev +30.6%

3.18/5  rDev +13.2%

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

ZiegenBock Amber from Anheuser-Busch