ZiegenBock Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Brewed in Houston, ZiegenBock is a beer of the South. Only available in Texas, this American-style amber lager, offers notes of roasted grains in the aroma and a sweet, smooth taste with a hop finish. The select imported hops and specialty malts create a taste worthy of a 2006 Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal.

Added by kbub6f on 04-24-2002

amber? srsly? not a malt in sight. just overly fizzy, slightly sweet, light beer disguised as real beer. get stuffed.

1.25/5  rDev -55.5%

Photo of
1.5/5  rDev -46.6%

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.56/5  rDev -44.5%

Had two of these while waiting for a flight at the Austin airport.

Appearance- Brownish-red. Looks somewhat like a bock, even if it's not.

Smell - Not a whole lot going on. Malty, but not overwhelmingly so. Mostly just smells like a macro-lager.

Taste - Again, the taste is more akin to a macro-lager like Budweiser than a true bock. A bit maltier than a Bud, though not terribly so. Slight hints of caramel. Hop presence is essentially non-existent.

Mouthfeel - This is where the crapiness of the ZB really shines through. Sickeningly watery.

Drinkability - Terrible mouthfeel + uninteresting taste = not good. At 4% ABV, this beer isn't even good for a quick buzz before a flight.

What the hell would it take to get some Real Ale or Live Oak at ABI? Or any decent Texas beer at the DFW airport?

1.82/5  rDev -35.2%

There isn't a lot here that I can say, that hasn't been said already. I agree that it excels in being mediocre. How this won the bronze of any kind of contest is dumbfounding, even in a competition focused on commercial breweries.

Look is not that impressive. It's a dark amber with a small beige head that dissipates quickly. No real lacing to speak of. But I actually rate the look even more poorly than I would normally rate it, due to the fact that there's nothing amber about the flavor of this beer. I strongly suspect there's some caramel color going on here. It would be exceedingly difficult to brew a beer this dark, and have it genuinely be this color, and still have such a flat, nonexistent body, and such a deep lack of complexity.

Smell is SPOT ON like a loaf of french bread. The yeast and grain really comes through, but that is the extent of the flavor. It's bland... just like a loaf of french bread. Actually, I think I've had plain french bread that had far more flavor than this beer.

Taste and feel go hand in hand, so I'm just going to tackle those together. This beer is bland, bland, BLAND. Practically a sparkling water. No richness, no depth, very low acidity AND bitterness. Not dry enough to hit the "refreshing" button, not sweet enough to compensate for its complete lack of anything else. You could put a breadstick and a lemon wedge into a liter of club soda, and get the same flavor we've got going on here.

And like another reviewer said. I don't just hate on these Anheuser-Busch mock-craft beers just because they're sneaky bulls--t from a macrobrewery. I hate on them because they're genuinely not good. Why would I pay $8 for this when I could get Abita or Sierra Nevada or Left Hand for that kind of price range? Nobody should. These big breweries need to seriously up their game if they don't want people thrashing them for trying to horn in on the craft beer market. It's fine if they wanna actually step up and play ball, but it's clear they're just half-assing it.

Thanks, I'm out.

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%

O.K., this is listed as an Amber, so I get to rate it vs./ the style. And this is NO American Amber.

I was tricked into buying this on my last trip to Texas. I told the guy in the store I wanted something local... Totally my fault. I take the blame. But I will go into this with an open mind. Please no Shiner Bock, please.

Pours with a tiny off white head that fades immediately. The beer is a dark amber color with mostly brown highlights. Good clarity with lots of visible carbonation.

Aroma was really not that nice. Some malts but almost wet cardboard. Maybe a bit of cinnamon.

Man, I wish I did this blind... I think it's a Bud with food coloring. I don't know if this is all malt, but I doubt it from the flavor, lack of. Really light and slightly sweet. No hop presence and no finish. Joke is on me, it's not Shiner Bock.. It's Budweiser or Busch with a different color.

Watery mouth feel. It's drinkable in the summer, but not at any other times.

Wow, what a big disappointment.

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours a light off white fizzy head. No retention. Color is an amber brown. Clear.

Aroma: Caramel and bready malts. Very lager like. Grassy hops. Corn and grain.

Taste: More like an adjunct lager than a bock. Some caramel and bready malts with some earthy/grassy hops. Grains and corn again.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bubbly. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends dry and malty.

Overall, this wasn't a very good bock. Maybe it's an amber, but still it isn't too good. More like an adjunct lager. Not for me. Too much carbonation. Not very drinkable at all.

? -2-2-1.5-1.5

1.89/5  rDev -32.7%

Nothing special. Kind of bland compared to shiner.

1.93/5  rDev -31.3%

Not my favorite. Honestly, it's a knock-off Shiner Bock, but lacks the quality of a good Shiner. It seems to be missing a little bit of everything. For instance, the carbonation was there, but not quite the right amount. The taste leans a bit toward a light beer as opposed to a darker, traditional amber bock. It wasn't horrible, but wasn't all that impressive for me.

1.93/5  rDev -31.3%

Grabbed a bottle from a friend's party and thought I should review it, because there is no way I would ever buy this for my regular beer rotation.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Transparent caramel brown/amber color. It produced a half finger rocky head that dissipated to nothing in about 30 seconds. There is no halo or crown. There is no lacing.

Smell - Not much going on here. Sweet malt and adjuncts. Maybe corn or grains. And there is a burnt smell as well..

Taste - Tastes like a cheap amber ale. It isn't the worst tasting beer I have ever had, but the flavor profile is extremely bland. I get hints of caramel and dark sugar and perhaps the slightest fruit note, but not all that much is going here. There is pretty much no hop flavor what-so-ever.

Mouthfeel - Thin. There is an okay level of carbonation, but it doesn't do enough to cut through the beer's extremely light body. It feels like it was made to be chugged.

Drinkability - I could see how it would be easy to drink a sixer and not even think about it. It has a low sessionable ABV, and the texture is thin enough to chug it with relative ease. On that level, it is extremely drinkable. On the desirability scale, it has next to none with me. I would never buy this beer, and typically avoid drinking it period. The only time I have it is at parties where the only other option is Miller Lite or Bud Light.

1.98/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

ZiegenBock Amber from Anheuser-Busch