Wild Blue

From:
Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Awful
Wild BlueWild Blue
Notes: Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
View: Beers
Reviews: 648 | Ratings: 1,698 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
CharlieRockMD from Maryland

This by far is the best beer I have ever had. I still struggle to find a replacement. Ive been holding on to my last few but dont think I can resist too much longer. They keep calling me every time I open the refridgerator. I called the company and wrote letters seeking explanation on why this been was discontinued.

Aug 30, 2020
CrisHolm from South Dakota

So incredibly sad this beer was retired! I literally only signed up on this site just to write a review for this beer and whine that I can't buy it anywhere anymore lol I first tried it on South Florida, totally fell in love with it after the first sip and never bought another beer after that until I moved to South Dakota and was so sad I couldn't find it anywhere. Then after a couple years of not having it I finally found it at two stores and was so excited. Then of course they retired it a couple months later. So bummed! Really hoping for a comeback! Haven't been able to find anything comparable.

Aug 16, 2020
LilithAnnTaurus

4.7/5  rDev +111.7%

This was the first beer I ever tried. I have loved it ever since. I really wish someone would bring it back. I fear that my favorite beer will be forever lost in history, and that I shall never find a blueberry beer this good.

May 23, 2020
ajdfsu

THIS BEER IS PHENOMENAL !! Please someone ... revive it, and brew it, and make a lot of money in the process. This is my favorite beer of all time, and I'm a fairly good judge of beers.

This is opportunity: Wild Blue has every potential to blow the flavored malt/ale/cider genre out of the stratosphere. It just needed better marketing from the beginning.

Fantastic brew! Please ... bring it back!

Oct 13, 2019
Plm from Florida

Wild Blue is one of my favorite beers! The blueberry taste makes this beer. I am not a fan of many lagers and I love this one. I am very disappointed it has been retired! I bought it on a regular basis from my local Publix. Hopefully they bring it back!

Jul 20, 2019
CherylCraig from South Carolina

Sadden to see this beer is retired. It was my favorite beer. I could actually taste the blueberry flavor. Not overly sweet. Perfect for a person that likes fruit infused beers.

Jul 04, 2019
Drak-Nib from Nebraska

3.25/5  rDev +46.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Just had mine and I hope one of the liquor stores in town carries this. If wine tasted like it I would get drunk off wine coolers all the time. ca. 2008

Nov 19, 2018
Allisonnewhard from Texas

Love love love this beer! It kicked my woodchuck amber cider off the first choice! I have not found any other blueberry flavored beers. Bring it back! Can't believe y'all stopped making it..... Sad day.

Nov 18, 2018
McNoodleHead from Louisiana

One of my favorite beers. Disappointed to see it discontinued. A darker beer that appeals to most people I know that like darker or stout beers but not so much to those who like a lighter beer with less alcohol in it (8% alcohol).

Oct 12, 2018
Xkwizit from Florida

4.48/5  rDev +101.8%

Unbelievable you decided to discontinue. This beer is unique in flavor and ABV. There is NO other blueberry beer a good as this one anywhere in the United States. I realize it doesn’t appeal to “the masses”, so just control production better. What a disappointment.

Jul 04, 2018
CrashDavis88 from Virginia

4.79/5  rDev +115.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really can't believe they discontinued this beer....I am not really a beer drinker but I liked this one. Whoever was the dope that decided to discontinue it...U suck!!

Jun 26, 2018
micada from New York

3.84/5  rDev +73%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I tried this years ago when I first began dabbling in the interesting world of imperial ABV beers. Wifey tried it soon after, and loves this lager. It's practically the only thing she'll drink aside from sweet wine or rum. Drink chilled. Pours super blue/purple, with tons of carbonation that yields a tight violet bubble-fest head. Nose is all blueberry. Taste is all blueberry with some light malty back end. No hops to be found. Good acidity balance, so it's not a flat syrup mouthfeel. It's a delicious dessert beer that is just plain fun and fruity. Many fruity beers have that artificial sweetener vibe, but not WB. After three, maybe two for the unitiated, the sweetness can become cloying, but stays fundamentally all blueberry. If you're downing more than that, at 8%, you'll be too buzzed to care any way.

I wanted to write a quick review because there is evidently a move to discontinue WB. What a dumb move, IMHO. This is the only beverage that leads us to spend money for a (insert mega beer company guess here) product. Feel free to join the social media revolution to keep the blue dawg kicking! We need it, if only for all the healthful antioxidants.

Thank you, Beer Advocate, for being a great resource to the whale hunters and fly fishers alike.

May 31, 2018
debbourne from Illinois

This is the best tasting blueberry beer that I have ever had!!! It is hard to find, tho. One of the best fruity beers because it has some body to it. Not for you if you like IPAs. I don't!

May 30, 2018
SoulxDD from Connecticut

Legitimately the best tasting beer I have ever had. High ABV made for a great time as well.
PLEASE BRING THIS BACK! REDDS TASTES LIKE GARBAGE AND I CANT DRINK IT! ):

May 06, 2018
HotOpinions from Tennessee

3.27/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Overall I think it's a fine beer, not really sure where the hate is coming from. Sure I was expecting more from the taste than I got, but the beer is well carbonated, to the point that you can sit with a bottle without fear of it going flat, and the feel of it is really nice. Not to mention the attractive 8% ABV, which makes it a hell of a lot fun to take out to the beach or have at bar. The price is probably the worst part, because with its price it definitely could've made a bigger effort for outstanding taste/smell, but that doesn't make this a bad beer. Worth a buy in my opinion.

Feb 26, 2018
gram2kacna from Texas

I've been drinking Wild Blue for a few years now, I love it. It's my favorite of all beers. I have to order it from a little liquor store. Hard to find, one chain grocery store would have it a little while, then they quit stocking it.

Feb 02, 2018
Lampro from Virginia

3.36/5  rDev +51.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was actually pleasantly surprised on pouring this beer to see the vibrant, nearly magenta color. The smell was distinctly fruity. My first impression on drinking was of fruit soda on the front of the palate, with some slight maltiness developing at the end. Certainly a sweet beer, if tasting blind I might guess that it was actually a cider! Interesting, lots of alcohol for a lager! A fun drink that I might go back for if I'm in the mood.

Feb 02, 2018
dtrain40 from Wisconsin

3.14/5  rDev +41.4%

Just got this brew the other day and needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. I love blueberries and that pretty much sums up this sweet tasting beer. Not for beer snobs for sure though. Pours a small foam head with the appearance of grape juice. Lots of blueberries hit you first with a tasty cereal malt on the backside. Plain and simple, it's a refreshing beer for those looking for something fruity and satisfying. And at 8% abv, you can take it seriously :)

Jan 18, 2018
J1moyer from Maryland

My favorite beer. I didn’t used to like beer, but Wild Blue changed that! Wild Blue has 8% ABV, lower ABV beers don’t taste right. They taste like water!

Jan 09, 2018
gibgink from Missouri

3.7/5  rDev +66.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've always shied away from this beer, even though it appeals to my sweet tooth. But my wife bought some, so a review must be had! Pours very nice deep blue/purple with small white head. Stays carbonated throughout. Smells faintly of blueberry with a mix of malt. Tastes a bit like blueberry juice, but didn't really care for what I call a "beer aftertaste". Alcohol is well hidden, as I wouldn't guess this to be an 8% brew. End of the day, I think the beer is a bit under rated. It is what it says on the label, and that isn't bad in my book

Jan 06, 2018
D1noB from Oklahoma

Heavy blueberry with a biscuit, cracked follow thru. Not the best beer and lacks the balance of other blueberry beers.

Taste rating in words: Bowl of blueberries with cracker crumble on top.

Nov 23, 2017
heartagramguy from Alabama

4.11/5  rDev +85.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Honestly, someone once told me to not buy this because it tasted like cough syrup.... against their recommendation, I got this and was very happy I did. Since then, I have purchased several of these. The overall rating on here isn't what this beer deserves. If you chug too much, you'll be left feeling full, thats about my only negative thing I can say. But I for one love blueberries, so this is great. It can be too sweet to some, but to me, it tastes just like a smooth, solid blueberry drink with alcohol. If you like blueberries, give this a try. If you don't, stay away.

Oct 14, 2017
Sfairchild1 from Georgia

4.94/5  rDev +122.5%

Seriously this beer does not have the rating it deserves! This is one of my fav beers, it's not too light, and not too heavy, and not too sweet. If you are looking for a flavorful beer (not IPA bitter) but legit flavor, this is a great choice!

The people who have rated this are obvi legit hardcore beer drinkers that don't like flavored beer, I've been drinking beer for a long time, but my taste buds are not favorable to the hoppy beers. I don't like fruity beers usually either because they are too sweet, but this beer is perfect. It's not too sweet and still has a bit of a beer flavor, but at the same time tastes like blueberry muffins! It's really good and high alcohol content, so if you're a woman and like flavored beer it's a great choice, but still manly enough for a man.

But seriously, if you're buying a blueberry beer and you want it to taste like blueberries this is the one! The reviews that say it smelled too strong or was purple in color or it tasted like blueberry syrup.... duh!... it's a fucking blueberry beer! What else would you want it to taste like?! Lol

Aug 13, 2017
susandyoung from Colorado

1.12/5  rDev -49.5%

I wish I had looked at BA ratings before buying this. I literally made this account to warn others away. I didn't realize it was made by AB beforehand or I wouldn't have purchased it.

It smelled like artificial blueberry even though the bottle says natural flavors. The flavor is like blueberry syrup with a hint of beer. It even felt like a thin syrup in my mouth. This would be more suited to being poured over pancakes. I like beer and I like the occasional sweet fruity drink, but this couldn't pass as either. Congrats AB, you have sold me my first drain pour. I've tried many beers and this was the first that was utterly undrinkable.

The only reason this isn't a solid 1 is because I gave it a 3 in "look". I couldn't properly assess the look because I drank it from the bottle.

Jul 28, 2017
pat61 from Minnesota

2.27/5  rDev +2.3%

L: It is loaded with blueberries that tint the beer brilliant blue and give the 1" foam cap a blue tint with fair retention.

S; It smells like something you could put on pancakes.

T: there is not a lot of beer here - it is like drinking a blueberry soda with a faint hint of biscuit.

F: It has a medium light body and medium carbonation.

O: If you like a blueberry twist Nu-Grape Soda you will really like this beer. If you like beer you probably will not.

Jun 22, 2017