Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit and Field Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 643 | Ratings: 1,688

Sadden to see this beer is retired. It was my favorite beer. I could actually taste the blueberry flavor. Not overly sweet. Perfect for a person that likes fruit infused beers.

3.25/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Just had mine and I hope one of the liquor stores in town carries this. If wine tasted like it I would get drunk off wine coolers all the time. ca. 2008

Love love love this beer! It kicked my woodchuck amber cider off the first choice! I have not found any other blueberry flavored beers. Bring it back! Can't believe y'all stopped making it..... Sad day.

One of my favorite beers. Disappointed to see it discontinued. A darker beer that appeals to most people I know that like darker or stout beers but not so much to those who like a lighter beer with less alcohol in it (8% alcohol).

4.48/5  rDev +93.9%

Unbelievable you decided to discontinue. This beer is unique in flavor and ABV. There is NO other blueberry beer a good as this one anywhere in the United States. I realize it doesn’t appeal to “the masses”, so just control production better. What a disappointment.

4.79/5  rDev +107.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really can't believe they discontinued this beer....I am not really a beer drinker but I liked this one. Whoever was the dope that decided to discontinue it...U suck!!

3.84/5  rDev +66.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I tried this years ago when I first began dabbling in the interesting world of imperial ABV beers. Wifey tried it soon after, and loves this lager. It's practically the only thing she'll drink aside from sweet wine or rum. Drink chilled. Pours super blue/purple, with tons of carbonation that yields a tight violet bubble-fest head. Nose is all blueberry. Taste is all blueberry with some light malty back end. No hops to be found. Good acidity balance, so it's not a flat syrup mouthfeel. It's a delicious dessert beer that is just plain fun and fruity. Many fruity beers have that artificial sweetener vibe, but not WB. After three, maybe two for the unitiated, the sweetness can become cloying, but stays fundamentally all blueberry. If you're downing more than that, at 8%, you'll be too buzzed to care any way.

I wanted to write a quick review because there is evidently a move to discontinue WB. What a dumb move, IMHO. This is the only beverage that leads us to spend money for a (insert mega beer company guess here) product. Feel free to join the social media revolution to keep the blue dawg kicking! We need it, if only for all the healthful antioxidants.

Thank you, Beer Advocate, for being a great resource to the whale hunters and fly fishers alike.

This is the best tasting blueberry beer that I have ever had!!! It is hard to find, tho. One of the best fruity beers because it has some body to it. Not for you if you like IPAs. I don't!

Legitimately the best tasting beer I have ever had. High ABV made for a great time as well.
PLEASE BRING THIS BACK! REDDS TASTES LIKE GARBAGE AND I CANT DRINK IT! ):

3.27/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Overall I think it's a fine beer, not really sure where the hate is coming from. Sure I was expecting more from the taste than I got, but the beer is well carbonated, to the point that you can sit with a bottle without fear of it going flat, and the feel of it is really nice. Not to mention the attractive 8% ABV, which makes it a hell of a lot fun to take out to the beach or have at bar. The price is probably the worst part, because with its price it definitely could've made a bigger effort for outstanding taste/smell, but that doesn't make this a bad beer. Worth a buy in my opinion.

I've been drinking Wild Blue for a few years now, I love it. It's my favorite of all beers. I have to order it from a little liquor store. Hard to find, one chain grocery store would have it a little while, then they quit stocking it.

3.36/5  rDev +45.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was actually pleasantly surprised on pouring this beer to see the vibrant, nearly magenta color. The smell was distinctly fruity. My first impression on drinking was of fruit soda on the front of the palate, with some slight maltiness developing at the end. Certainly a sweet beer, if tasting blind I might guess that it was actually a cider! Interesting, lots of alcohol for a lager! A fun drink that I might go back for if I'm in the mood.

3.14/5  rDev +35.9%

Just got this brew the other day and needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. I love blueberries and that pretty much sums up this sweet tasting beer. Not for beer snobs for sure though. Pours a small foam head with the appearance of grape juice. Lots of blueberries hit you first with a tasty cereal malt on the backside. Plain and simple, it's a refreshing beer for those looking for something fruity and satisfying. And at 8% abv, you can take it seriously :)

My favorite beer. I didn’t used to like beer, but Wild Blue changed that! Wild Blue has 8% ABV, lower ABV beers don’t taste right. They taste like water!

3.7/5  rDev +60.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've always shied away from this beer, even though it appeals to my sweet tooth. But my wife bought some, so a review must be had! Pours very nice deep blue/purple with small white head. Stays carbonated throughout. Smells faintly of blueberry with a mix of malt. Tastes a bit like blueberry juice, but didn't really care for what I call a "beer aftertaste". Alcohol is well hidden, as I wouldn't guess this to be an 8% brew. End of the day, I think the beer is a bit under rated. It is what it says on the label, and that isn't bad in my book

Heavy blueberry with a biscuit, cracked follow thru. Not the best beer and lacks the balance of other blueberry beers.

Taste rating in words: Bowl of blueberries with cracker crumble on top.

4.11/5  rDev +77.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Honestly, someone once told me to not buy this because it tasted like cough syrup.... against their recommendation, I got this and was very happy I did. Since then, I have purchased several of these. The overall rating on here isn't what this beer deserves. If you chug too much, you'll be left feeling full, thats about my only negative thing I can say. But I for one love blueberries, so this is great. It can be too sweet to some, but to me, it tastes just like a smooth, solid blueberry drink with alcohol. If you like blueberries, give this a try. If you don't, stay away.

4.94/5  rDev +113.9%

Seriously this beer does not have the rating it deserves! This is one of my fav beers, it's not too light, and not too heavy, and not too sweet. If you are looking for a flavorful beer (not IPA bitter) but legit flavor, this is a great choice!

The people who have rated this are obvi legit hardcore beer drinkers that don't like flavored beer, I've been drinking beer for a long time, but my taste buds are not favorable to the hoppy beers. I don't like fruity beers usually either because they are too sweet, but this beer is perfect. It's not too sweet and still has a bit of a beer flavor, but at the same time tastes like blueberry muffins! It's really good and high alcohol content, so if you're a woman and like flavored beer it's a great choice, but still manly enough for a man.

But seriously, if you're buying a blueberry beer and you want it to taste like blueberries this is the one! The reviews that say it smelled too strong or was purple in color or it tasted like blueberry syrup.... duh!... it's a fucking blueberry beer! What else would you want it to taste like?! Lol

1.12/5  rDev -51.5%

I wish I had looked at BA ratings before buying this. I literally made this account to warn others away. I didn't realize it was made by AB beforehand or I wouldn't have purchased it.

It smelled like artificial blueberry even though the bottle says natural flavors. The flavor is like blueberry syrup with a hint of beer. It even felt like a thin syrup in my mouth. This would be more suited to being poured over pancakes. I like beer and I like the occasional sweet fruity drink, but this couldn't pass as either. Congrats AB, you have sold me my first drain pour. I've tried many beers and this was the first that was utterly undrinkable.

The only reason this isn't a solid 1 is because I gave it a 3 in "look". I couldn't properly assess the look because I drank it from the bottle.

2.27/5  rDev -1.7%

L: It is loaded with blueberries that tint the beer brilliant blue and give the 1" foam cap a blue tint with fair retention.

S; It smells like something you could put on pancakes.

T: there is not a lot of beer here - it is like drinking a blueberry soda with a faint hint of biscuit.

F: It has a medium light body and medium carbonation.

O: If you like a blueberry twist Nu-Grape Soda you will really like this beer. If you like beer you probably will not.

2.55/5  rDev +10.4%

If you like sweet, fruity beers, then this lager smells and looks the part. Unfortunately, it does not taste the part. It has a fruit flavor similar to that of cough syrup.

I didn't read too much of the label when I bought this, i just saw "lager" and "8%." I had no idea it was brewed by AB otherwise I probably would not have got this. I also wasn't expecting the blueberry to be so strong.

When I poured it in a glass the smell filled the room and it doesn't smell good. It's a dark purple color and tastes like cough medicine. I'd drink an Old Milwaukee any day over this garbage.

4.76/5  rDev +106.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

I find this beer delightful and refreshing. It's a perfect summertime beer. To me, it's a beer that makes a good base for mixed drinks adding an extra kick of flavor and an alcohol punch to fruity cocktail drinks. Mix it with a double jigger of Jim Beam Vanilla Bourbon over some ice makes for a kicking bit of drinking deliciousness.

2.18/5  rDev -5.6%

I don't know what impulsed me to pick this one up. I've had a few brews with blueberries before but the blueberries were quite subtle, I knew that was not going to be the case here. It's disgusting, just drinkable enough to save it from the sink. Take a pint of Budweiser and liberally pour generic blueberry dessert syrup into it. Presto. "Wild Blue". Thick, dark purple, heavily carbonated and painfully sweet. I'd rather have a cheap can of artificial berry flavored malt liquor. If that's what you're looking for than this may hit the spot. I didn't realize it was produced by AB. I wouldn't have took a second look. Absolutely ridiculous it's priced like a proper craft beer.

2.45/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a dark red color. 1/5 inch head of an off-pink color. Poor retention and decent lacing. Smells of strong medicinal fruit, pale malt, slight sweet malt, and alcohol. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of pale malt, slight sweet malt, alcohol, and medicinal fruit flavor. Overall, weak appearance, lacking complexity (body, aroma, and blend), medicinal aspects are quite the detriment.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch