Wild Blue

Sep 27, 2005
SCORE
Awful
Wild BlueWild Blue
Notes: Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by TexSpence from Texas

The first time I ran into this little gem I was appalled - I mean a fruity beer? But this was more than just your run of the mill fruity beer, this was a lager. Strong, bold, fills the mouth with goodness and blueberries and it has a nice subtle kick at 8% ABV. But there was more, I'm from Texas and I found Wild Blue down here at a high-end grocery chain. I got excited as I found out it was made in NY and I was heading up to the area where it is produced. I headed to a local shop to look for Wild Blue and found out not only did they have it in stock but they had two other flavors as well, Blackberry and Raspberry. All three were tasty, so I brought home a case of each when I returned. The interesting thing about these beers is that I could only get Wild Blue for the longest time, but in Forks, Wa, which is on the far west side of the Olympic Peninsula, I could get all three brews. Amazing. But then tragedy struck and word got out that Blue Dawg Brewing was discontinuing all three. Man - I started beating all the local haunts to buy up as much of these brews as I could. I traveled well over three hundred miles in my quest picking up a six pack here and there. I think I cornered the market here in Texas. Well that was a number of years ago. Today I have but two bottle left, one of Wild Blue and the other the Wild Red (raspberry). I will open and see very soon if they still maintain the complex flavor I so remember and love.
Full confession, I'm a stout drinker - when I started drinking Wild Blue all my friends thought I'd lost it. I did get a few of them to try and they like the taste of each, so I do not feel so bad about that, but I am sad that these marvelous brews are lost to the world. I am truly blue now.
Jul 22, 2022

Rated: 2.72 by alexvhrk from Wisconsin

May 10, 2022
Reviewed by ekm from Florida

4.73/5  rDev +110.2%
This was my first full beer. It was like any other Anheuser-Busch beer, but perfected. The smell was fresh blueberries with a tinge of alcohol letting you know 'hey, this is still a beer'. The taste was so easy for a first-timer to enjoy and get down without making a face, just blueberries. Also, cooked well with steak.

It's a shame this was discontinued.
Feb 07, 2022

Rated: 2.39 by LesDewitt4beer from Minnesota

Oct 22, 2021
Reviewed by dakotabeargirl

4.41/5  rDev +96%
I actually enjoy this beer. It’s been in my fridge for a couple of years if not more. I opened it up tonight and I find it to be refreshing. I looked it up and found that it is discontinued. That’s too bad!! Is definitely buy it again if it were available.
Jul 17, 2021

Rated: 3.97 by badtman from Florida

Jan 12, 2021
Reviewed by LilithAnnTaurus

4.7/5  rDev +108.9%
This was the first beer I ever tried. I have loved it ever since. I really wish someone would bring it back. I fear that my favorite beer will be forever lost in history, and that I shall never find a blueberry beer this good.
May 23, 2020

Fruity, sweet, 8%
Feb 21, 2019
Reviewed by Drak-Nib from Nebraska

3.25/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
Just had mine and I hope one of the liquor stores in town carries this. If wine tasted like it I would get drunk off wine coolers all the time. ca. 2008
Nov 19, 2018

Rated: 2.83 by grahuba from Connecticut

Nov 01, 2018

Rated: 2.5 by COBEERHUNTER from Colorado

Jul 15, 2018
Reviewed by Xkwizit from Florida

4.48/5  rDev +99.1%
Unbelievable you decided to discontinue. This beer is unique in flavor and ABV. There is NO other blueberry beer a good as this one anywhere in the United States. I realize it doesn’t appeal to “the masses”, so just control production better. What a disappointment.
Jul 04, 2018

Rated: 3.08 by LarrysDeerGut from Illinois

Jun 30, 2018
Reviewed by micada from New York

3.84/5  rDev +70.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
I tried this years ago when I first began dabbling in the interesting world of imperial ABV beers. Wifey tried it soon after, and loves this lager. It's practically the only thing she'll drink aside from sweet wine or rum. Drink chilled. Pours super blue/purple, with tons of carbonation that yields a tight violet bubble-fest head. Nose is all blueberry. Taste is all blueberry with some light malty back end. No hops to be found. Good acidity balance, so it's not a flat syrup mouthfeel. It's a delicious dessert beer that is just plain fun and fruity. Many fruity beers have that artificial sweetener vibe, but not WB. After three, maybe two for the unitiated, the sweetness can become cloying, but stays fundamentally all blueberry. If you're downing more than that, at 8%, you'll be too buzzed to care any way.

I wanted to write a quick review because there is evidently a move to discontinue WB. What a dumb move, IMHO. This is the only beverage that leads us to spend money for a (insert mega beer company guess here) product. Feel free to join the social media revolution to keep the blue dawg kicking! We need it, if only for all the healthful antioxidants.

Thank you, Beer Advocate, for being a great resource to the whale hunters and fly fishers alike.
May 31, 2018

Rated: 1.68 by Chilmer from Iowa

May 24, 2018
Rated by Jenjenh47 from Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +103.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5
I'm not sure why this beer has gotten such bad reviews because I absolutely love it. It's too bad Anheuser Busch is discontinuing it what a shame!
May 14, 2018

Rated: 4.75 by benros222 from Kansas

Apr 01, 2018

Rated: 4.06 by Z-man from Michigan

Mar 05, 2018
Reviewed by HotOpinions from Tennessee

3.27/5  rDev +45.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3
Overall I think it's a fine beer, not really sure where the hate is coming from. Sure I was expecting more from the taste than I got, but the beer is well carbonated, to the point that you can sit with a bottle without fear of it going flat, and the feel of it is really nice. Not to mention the attractive 8% ABV, which makes it a hell of a lot fun to take out to the beach or have at bar. The price is probably the worst part, because with its price it definitely could've made a bigger effort for outstanding taste/smell, but that doesn't make this a bad beer. Worth a buy in my opinion.
Feb 26, 2018

Rated: 3.19 by Zaktcc from Maryland

Feb 08, 2018
Reviewed by Lampro from Virginia

3.36/5  rDev +49.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
I was actually pleasantly surprised on pouring this beer to see the vibrant, nearly magenta color. The smell was distinctly fruity. My first impression on drinking was of fruit soda on the front of the palate, with some slight maltiness developing at the end. Certainly a sweet beer, if tasting blind I might guess that it was actually a cider! Interesting, lots of alcohol for a lager! A fun drink that I might go back for if I'm in the mood.
Feb 02, 2018
Rated by jbehlar from Mississippi

4.1/5  rDev +82.2%
Very strong blueberry flavor. At first I wasn't sure that I'd be able to drink it. However, the high abv makes up for it quickly.
Jan 26, 2018

Rated: 2.81 by Pro_Magnon from Texas

Jan 18, 2018
Reviewed by dtrain40 from Wisconsin

3.14/5  rDev +39.6%
Just got this brew the other day and needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. I love blueberries and that pretty much sums up this sweet tasting beer. Not for beer snobs for sure though. Pours a small foam head with the appearance of grape juice. Lots of blueberries hit you first with a tasty cereal malt on the backside. Plain and simple, it's a refreshing beer for those looking for something fruity and satisfying. And at 8% abv, you can take it seriously :)
Jan 18, 2018

Rated: 1.08 by prost2hefeweizen from Oklahoma

Jan 16, 2018

Rated: 2.25 by Beerbuddha from Florida

Jan 15, 2018
Reviewed by J1moyer from Maryland

My favorite beer. I didn’t used to like beer, but Wild Blue changed that! Wild Blue has 8% ABV, lower ABV beers don’t taste right. They taste like water!
Jan 09, 2018

Rated: 1.13 by TheCrowsEye from California

Jan 06, 2018
Reviewed by gibgink from Missouri

3.7/5  rDev +64.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5
I've always shied away from this beer, even though it appeals to my sweet tooth. But my wife bought some, so a review must be had! Pours very nice deep blue/purple with small white head. Stays carbonated throughout. Smells faintly of blueberry with a mix of malt. Tastes a bit like blueberry juice, but didn't really care for what I call a "beer aftertaste". Alcohol is well hidden, as I wouldn't guess this to be an 8% brew. End of the day, I think the beer is a bit under rated. It is what it says on the label, and that isn't bad in my book
Jan 06, 2018

Dec 11, 2017

Rated: 3 by MonkeyPilates from Minnesota

Dec 09, 2017
Reviewed by D1noB from Oklahoma

Heavy blueberry with a biscuit, cracked follow thru. Not the best beer and lacks the balance of other blueberry beers.

Taste rating in words: Bowl of blueberries with cracker crumble on top.
Nov 23, 2017