Wild Blue

From:
Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Awful
Wild BlueWild Blue
Notes: Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.
View: Beers
Reviews: 649 | Ratings: 1,699 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by JonTowers:
JonTowers from California

This is the best beer ever, if you like a heavy dark beer with a blueberry twist. You either love it or hate it. I can’t say enough about it. I hope they will bring it back for the hardcore lovers of this amazing beer. Lager drinkers need not apply

Oct 18, 2020
WesMantooth from Ohio

1.54/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

First of all, I didnt buy this. I found it in in what should now be an abandoned fridge, so I can be as objective as humanly possible since not a single penny of my money will be harmed.

As I pour it into my red solo cup that I feel it may not be deserving off, it is the most unappealing beer I have ever seen. They could have used this in the imagery in A Clockwork Orange. First, there is nothing remotely blue about the appearance. It is cherry red with a red fizzy head. It reminds me of a flavored Clearly Canadian or New York Seltzer. Better yet, imagine a carbonated Robitussin. If I could apply a 0, or better yet, a negative number here I would.

It smells medicinal. Sort of like cough medicine and sugar. Cherry 7-Up and hummingbird food maybe?

The taste is by far the least offensive part. It is actually "consumable" to an extent, depending on how high your tolerance for artificially flavored wine coolers is. Of course, it doesn't taste anything like blueberry, naturally. It is cherry or raspberryish and as sweet as the good looking mom of your friend when you were 12. To me it tastes like a Splenda factory exploded and they got rid of all of the spillage from the by putting it in these bottles along with some left over Capri Sun. Rememer, this is the best aspect.

With the carbonation level, I am surprised the caps don't fly off and kill some of the 95 lb college girls that obviously make up 99.9% of the people buying this. But hey, if you like shitty champagne with a splash of wildberry kool aid this is probably your thing.

Someone else said that "it tastes like sadness feels". I would say it tastes more like desperation, or a concussion.

May 25, 2015
auswild from New York

1.36/5  rDev -38.7%

At first, I recoiled at the initial shock of this swill hitting my taste buds. My palate, having not enough time to recover from such horror, proceeded to endure several agonizing seconds while I mustered up the courage to ingest such misery. And then came the aftertaste, which I can only describe as tasting like how sadness feels. Wild Blue exists without my consent.

Mar 13, 2015
micada from New York

3.84/5  rDev +73%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I tried this years ago when I first began dabbling in the interesting world of imperial ABV beers. Wifey tried it soon after, and loves this lager. It's practically the only thing she'll drink aside from sweet wine or rum. Drink chilled. Pours super blue/purple, with tons of carbonation that yields a tight violet bubble-fest head. Nose is all blueberry. Taste is all blueberry with some light malty back end. No hops to be found. Good acidity balance, so it's not a flat syrup mouthfeel. It's a delicious dessert beer that is just plain fun and fruity. Many fruity beers have that artificial sweetener vibe, but not WB. After three, maybe two for the unitiated, the sweetness can become cloying, but stays fundamentally all blueberry. If you're downing more than that, at 8%, you'll be too buzzed to care any way.

I wanted to write a quick review because there is evidently a move to discontinue WB. What a dumb move, IMHO. This is the only beverage that leads us to spend money for a (insert mega beer company guess here) product. Feel free to join the social media revolution to keep the blue dawg kicking! We need it, if only for all the healthful antioxidants.

Thank you, Beer Advocate, for being a great resource to the whale hunters and fly fishers alike.

May 31, 2018
CrashDavis88 from Virginia

4.79/5  rDev +115.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really can't believe they discontinued this beer....I am not really a beer drinker but I liked this one. Whoever was the dope that decided to discontinue it...U suck!!

Jun 26, 2018
schwansmantr from Ohio

1.24/5  rDev -44.1%

Wild Blue, blueberry lager. Or as I call it Bird diahria in a bottle. This is probably the most disgusting beer I have ever had. I could give a description but it just not worth my time or yours. Absolutely Gross F to infinity and beyond even my kitchen sink said "thanks dick" when I poured it down the drain. I think I would suck a ......... before I would ever drink this nasty ass shit again. And I was going to say poop cycle you Gross Ass. Do not buy this in fact if you see it at a store throw it on the ground and save one person's taste buds.

Oct 12, 2015
pinkfloydsgurl from Texas

4.76/5  rDev +114.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

I find this beer delightful and refreshing. It's a perfect summertime beer. To me, it's a beer that makes a good base for mixed drinks adding an extra kick of flavor and an alcohol punch to fruity cocktail drinks. Mix it with a double jigger of Jim Beam Vanilla Bourbon over some ice makes for a kicking bit of drinking deliciousness.

Mar 25, 2017
WunderLlama from Massachusetts

2.07/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle poured into glass

Translucent purple , looks like a purple wine

Aroma of blueberries , sweetness.

Taste of sweet blueberries, grape juice, alcohol

Low sudsing

My nephew brought this to our thanksgiving mixer sixer. Voting him out of the family

Nov 26, 2015
Xkwizit from Florida

4.48/5  rDev +101.8%

Unbelievable you decided to discontinue. This beer is unique in flavor and ABV. There is NO other blueberry beer a good as this one anywhere in the United States. I realize it doesn’t appeal to “the masses”, so just control production better. What a disappointment.

Jul 04, 2018
McNoodleHead from Louisiana

One of my favorite beers. Disappointed to see it discontinued. A darker beer that appeals to most people I know that like darker or stout beers but not so much to those who like a lighter beer with less alcohol in it (8% alcohol).

Oct 12, 2018
ThisWangsChung from Maryland

1.55/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Pours a grape drank color, only this has a finger of lavender-colored head attached to it. Retention, texture, and lacing are all unimportant manners, this may as well be grape drank...erp, I mean blueberry drank.

Smells like blueberry Kool-Aid.

Tastes like blueberry Kool-Aid meets malt likka.

Feels like I need to brush my teeth.

Only frat bros looking to "switch things up, brah" need apply.

1.55/5: Nope

May 30, 2016
Benjammin9 from Texas

4.44/5  rDev +100%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man! I thought I was a beer snob until I read some of these Wild Blue reviews! I like the darker porters and stouts, generally with a nutty w/ a little chocolate and/or coffee. I like it stout and I like it ice cold. It pains me to drink a lite beer; who was the a$$h0le that came up with that crap... musta been someone trying to get their waist line back down to last year's jeans... you know... like me...

Don't know how I ran across Wild Blue but after the first one, I was hooked! Yeah, probably a little too strong fruity but, I immediately had a recollection of drinking a Grape Nehi when I was a kid. But, 2 or 3 of these things and you got a buzz going - groovy.

But really, beer critiques are so subjective. For the snobs here who blast this beer as crap, I say try it... like after you just finished mowing a couple of acres or, just to kick start the evening. Cold, refreshing, sweet and fruity. It taste more like beer to me that the wine coolers some reviewers have compared it to. Has a beer finish that wine coolers don't. AND, this couldn't be my main beer but, it definitely has a place in my fridge for those certain times I need a kick in the ass.

For some of the beer snobs, your beer probably tastes like crap to a lot of beer drinkers too. To each taste bud, his own!! Cheers.

Jun 06, 2016
debbourne from Illinois

This is the best tasting blueberry beer that I have ever had!!! It is hard to find, tho. One of the best fruity beers because it has some body to it. Not for you if you like IPAs. I don't!

May 30, 2018
brewerang from Florida

3.6/5  rDev +62.2%

You can't approach this like a normal beer, and I won't rate it like one. Technically, it's a beer, but it tastes more like hard blueberry soda than beer. Blueberry flavor and aroma is dominant, but not as artificial as I expected. There is almost no hop presence, but also no real off-flavors. The appearance is a clear blue and quite impressive, actually, though the pinkish head disappears quickly. Overall, this is a great party beer, but not something I would drink as an evening sipper.

Sep 18, 2016
Wer34truh from Minnesota

2.53/5  rDev +14%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Given to me by a non-BA friend, who knows I'm into 'weird' beer.

Has a quite compelling, yet non-beery, look. Wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Wild Blue and any good 'ld blueberry juice. Likewise the smell is entirely dominated by blueberries, even though there is an unpleasant sour undertone to it.

Taste is simple, it's all blueberry. Reminds me of the blueberry juice+vodka drinks I used to mix in my young(er) days. If given as a blind test I would have disputed the fact that this is even a beer.

The beer markets itself as a blueberry lager, and is 8% ABV. Considering this, the fact that it so smooth is amazing. Even though it says something about the quality of the beer that the best thing one can say about it is that you barely notice drinking it.

My expectations of Wild Blue were incredibly low, and I would say I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely not a 'beer' which will receive high praise on a site like this, and probably justifiable so. However I can see how non-BA's would find this enjoyable.

All things considered, 2.53. Will not buy again (for myself). Perhaps I'll suggest it as a good beer for quick intoxication to a friend or two. Or I'll just get new friends.

Sep 05, 2015
Dr_Unk from North Carolina

1.18/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

SO. This was in the premium section near all the locals and the Sierra Nevadas and etc. DID NOT realise it was AB Schwill. 8 percent, eh? So basically I'm figuring they brew some adjunct high gravity crap, then pour in some high fructose chemical blueberry shit, and WHAM there ya have it. Kinda misleading packaging and website. I expected a craft beer with some light fruit notes. I got gypped by macro garbage. GMO fructose headache, here I come!!!

Mar 08, 2015
mfnmbvp from Illinois

2.51/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date present. Finally getting around to reviewing this one from Anheuser-Busch, acquired a single bottle of this stuff as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's for the purpose of review. Expectations are low; I remember trying this once before several years back. Label says 'May contain blueberry sediment' LOL.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass for the sake of knowledge.

A - Pours an attractive blueberry / grape juice colored body with about two fingers of pinkish-purple tinted white foam for a head. Semi-decent head retention considering the moderate abv. Leaves some okay fluffy lacing behind. Looks alright, I guess, considering what it is.

S - A medicinal and artificial aroma pervades. Not pulling out anything in the wake of authentic beer aromas from this one. No hop content, no malt, no roast, no yeast. Purely artificially flavored blueberry / grape drink, with some vodka esque alcohol fumes.

T - Taste follows the nose: cheap and artificially flavored wine-cooler flavor with some poorly made mixed drink vodka booziness. In no way does this resemble actual craft beer, or even an American adjunct lager. No malt, no hops, no yeast.

M - Crisply carbonated, and I suppose it is even easy-drinking, considering the high abv. Sweetened, medicinal, sticky, and boozy.

Overall, a poor poor example of a faux-craft blueberry lager. You'd be better off grabbing a wine-cooler, or making a mixed drink over this, because I would recommend this to those who like beer.

Anheuser-Busch Wild Blue -----2/5

Sep 23, 2015
J1moyer from Maryland

My favorite beer. I didn’t used to like beer, but Wild Blue changed that! Wild Blue has 8% ABV, lower ABV beers don’t taste right. They taste like water!

Jan 09, 2018
o0Heather from Georgia

1.46/5  rDev -34.2%

I was not actually able to drink the whole thing, it was horrid.
It definitely does not taste like a beer. Grape juice, wine cooler and blueberry syrup. Gag.
Just noting this so I remember not to get this Ever again.

Feb 04, 2016
boston2bburg from Virginia

1.1/5  rDev -50.5%

Well, they did it, they conned me into buying an A-B beer. Intrigued by an 8% blueberry beer, I picked up a single at the local wine and beer shop and was looking forward to trying it.

Then I saw the label and looked it up: Anheuser Busch product. Crap. Then I poured it out. It's a sickening bright fruit juice purple color with a purpleish-pink head that can't wait to vanish. You can smell the fruit juice from a foot away.

Tastes like a blueberry Spark's or something. Just sweet, syrupy juice with no real hint of anything resembling hops or malts anywhere.

Mouthfeel is thin and syrupy, so sweet it makes you pucker, a slight bite on the finish the only thing resembling actual beer.

No I do not want to drink any more of this. I suppose this could be a decent choice for an alternative to juice at breakfast, but unless you're used to wine cooler and are looking for something stronger, avoid this beer!

Apr 10, 2008
D1noB from Oklahoma

Heavy blueberry with a biscuit, cracked follow thru. Not the best beer and lacks the balance of other blueberry beers.

Taste rating in words: Bowl of blueberries with cracker crumble on top.

Nov 23, 2017
mark5692 from New York

I didn't read too much of the label when I bought this, i just saw "lager" and "8%." I had no idea it was brewed by AB otherwise I probably would not have got this. I also wasn't expecting the blueberry to be so strong.

When I poured it in a glass the smell filled the room and it doesn't smell good. It's a dark purple color and tastes like cough medicine. I'd drink an Old Milwaukee any day over this garbage.

May 28, 2017
SamQ from Washington

4.86/5  rDev +118.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A creatively, cultured, brew with a unique taste. Heavier in texture, it was easy and light to drink. High alcohol volume, made it economical. Robust flavor that transcended the average beer. Exquisite choice for any occasion.

Oct 17, 2016
Sfairchild1 from Georgia

4.94/5  rDev +122.5%

Seriously this beer does not have the rating it deserves! This is one of my fav beers, it's not too light, and not too heavy, and not too sweet. If you are looking for a flavorful beer (not IPA bitter) but legit flavor, this is a great choice!

The people who have rated this are obvi legit hardcore beer drinkers that don't like flavored beer, I've been drinking beer for a long time, but my taste buds are not favorable to the hoppy beers. I don't like fruity beers usually either because they are too sweet, but this beer is perfect. It's not too sweet and still has a bit of a beer flavor, but at the same time tastes like blueberry muffins! It's really good and high alcohol content, so if you're a woman and like flavored beer it's a great choice, but still manly enough for a man.

But seriously, if you're buying a blueberry beer and you want it to taste like blueberries this is the one! The reviews that say it smelled too strong or was purple in color or it tasted like blueberry syrup.... duh!... it's a fucking blueberry beer! What else would you want it to taste like?! Lol

Aug 13, 2017
OKbrew89 from Oklahoma

1.99/5  rDev -10.4%

Disturbing bluish purple color. Smells like fake blueberries. Tastes like a boozy blueberry malt beverage. Absolutely watery with no carbonation and a boozy aftertaste.
I didn't see the front of the label and immediately realized my mistake upon the first sip. Major oops. It's Anheuser Bush.

Apr 11, 2015