Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Reviews: 616 | Ratings: 1,607
Reviews by cousineddy:
2.75/5  rDev +26.7%

1.54/5  rDev -29%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

First of all, I didnt buy this so I can be as objective as humanly possible since not a single penny of my money will be harmed.

As I pour it into my red solo cup that I feel it may not be deserving off, it is the most unappealing beer I have ever seen. They could have used this in the imagery in A Clockwork Orange. First, there is nothing remotely blue about the appearance. It is cherry red with a red fizzy head. It reminds me of a flavored Clearly Canadian or New York Seltzer. Better yet, imagine a carbonated Robitussin. If I could apply a 0, or better yet, a negative number here I would.

It smells medicinal. Sort of like cough medicine and sugar. Cherry 7-Up and hummingbird food maybe?

The taste is by far the least offensive part. It is actually "consumable" to an extent, depending on your how high your tolerance for artificially flavored wine coolers is. Of course, it doesn't taste anything like blueberry, naturally. It is cherry or raspberryish and as sweet as the good looking mom of your friend when you were 12. To me it tastes like a Splenda factory exploded and they got rid of all of the spillage from the tanks by putting it in these bottles along with left over Capri Sun. Rememer. This is the best aspect.

With the carbonation level, I am surprised the caps don't fly off and kill some of the 95 lb college girls that obviously make up 99.9% of the people buying this. But hey, if you like shitty champagne with a splash of wildberry kool aid this is probably your thing.

Someone else said that "it tastes like sadness feels". I would say it tastes more like desperation or a concussion.

1.36/5  rDev -37.3%

At first, I recoiled at the initial shock of this swill hitting my taste buds. My palate, having not enough time to recover from such horror, proceeded to endure several agonizing seconds while I mustered up the courage to ingest such misery. And then came the aftertaste, which I can only describe as tasting like how sadness feels. Wild Blue exists without my consent.

1.24/5  rDev -42.9%

Wild Blue, blueberry lager. Or as I call it Bird diahria in a bottle. This is probably the most disgusting beer I have ever had. I could give a description but it just not worth my time or yours. Absolutely Gross F to infinity and beyond even my kitchen sink said "thanks dick" when I poured it down the drain. I think I would suck a ......... before I would ever drink this nasty ass shit again. And I was going to say poop cycle you Gross Ass. Do not buy this in fact if you see it at a store throw it on the ground and save one person's taste buds.

2.07/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle poured into glass

Translucent purple , looks like a purple wine

Aroma of blueberries , sweetness.

Taste of sweet blueberries, grape juice, alcohol

Low sudsing

My nephew brought this to our thanksgiving mixer sixer. Voting him out of the family

1.55/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Pours a grape drank color, only this has a finger of lavender-colored head attached to it. Retention, texture, and lacing are all unimportant manners, this may as well be grape drank...erp, I mean blueberry drank.

Smells like blueberry Kool-Aid.

Tastes like blueberry Kool-Aid meets malt likka.

Feels like I need to brush my teeth.

Only frat bros looking to "switch things up, brah" need apply.

1.55/5: Nope

1.1/5  rDev -49.3%

Well, they did it, they conned me into buying an A-B beer. Intrigued by an 8% blueberry beer, I picked up a single at the local wine and beer shop and was looking forward to trying it.

Then I saw the label and looked it up: Anheuser Busch product. Crap. Then I poured it out. It's a sickening bright fruit juice purple color with a purpleish-pink head that can't wait to vanish. You can smell the fruit juice from a foot away.

Tastes like a blueberry Spark's or something. Just sweet, syrupy juice with no real hint of anything resembling hops or malts anywhere.

Mouthfeel is thin and syrupy, so sweet it makes you pucker, a slight bite on the finish the only thing resembling actual beer.

No I do not want to drink any more of this. I suppose this could be a decent choice for an alternative to juice at breakfast, but unless you're used to wine cooler and are looking for something stronger, avoid this beer!

1.99/5  rDev -8.3%

Disturbing bluish purple color. Smells like fake blueberries. Tastes like a boozy blueberry malt beverage. Absolutely watery with no carbonation and a boozy aftertaste.
I didn't see the front of the label and immediately realized my mistake upon the first sip. Major oops. It's Anheuser Bush.

4.44/5  rDev +104.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man! I thought I was a beer snob until I read some of these Wild Blue reviews! I like the darker porters and stouts, generally with a nutty w/ a little chocolate and/or coffee. I like it stout and I like it ice cold. It pains me to drink a lite beer; who was the a$$h0le that came up with that crap... musta been someone trying to get their waist line back down to last year's jeans... you know... like me...

Don't know how I ran across Wild Blue but after the first one, I was hooked! Yeah, probably a little too strong fruity but, I immediately had a recollection of drinking a Grape Nehi when I was a kid. But, 2 or 3 of these things and you got a buzz going - groovy.

But really, beer critiques are so subjective. For the snobs here who blast this beer as crap, I say try it... like after you just finished mowing a couple of acres or, just to kick start the evening. Cold, refreshing, sweet and fruity. It taste more like beer to me that the wine coolers some reviewers have compared it to. Has a beer finish that wine coolers don't. AND, this couldn't be my main beer but, it definitely has a place in my fridge for those certain times I need a kick in the ass.

For some of the beer snobs, your beer probably tastes like crap to a lot of beer drinkers too. To each taste bud, his own!! Cheers.

2.51/5  rDev +15.7%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date present. Finally getting around to reviewing this one from Anheuser-Busch, acquired a single bottle of this stuff as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's for the purpose of review. Expectations are low; I remember trying this once before several years back. Label says 'May contain blueberry sediment' LOL.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass for the sake of knowledge.

A - Pours an attractive blueberry / grape juice colored body with about two fingers of pinkish-purple tinted white foam for a head. Semi-decent head retention considering the moderate abv. Leaves some okay fluffy lacing behind. Looks alright, I guess, considering what it is.

S - A medicinal and artificial aroma pervades. Not pulling out anything in the wake of authentic beer aromas from this one. No hop content, no malt, no roast, no yeast. Purely artificially flavored blueberry / grape drink, with some vodka esque alcohol fumes.

T - Taste follows the nose: cheap and artificially flavored wine-cooler flavor with some poorly made mixed drink vodka booziness. In no way does this resemble actual craft beer, or even an American adjunct lager. No malt, no hops, no yeast.

M - Crisply carbonated, and I suppose it is even easy-drinking, considering the high abv. Sweetened, medicinal, sticky, and boozy.

Overall, a poor poor example of a faux-craft blueberry lager. You'd be better off grabbing a wine-cooler, or making a mixed drink over this, because I would recommend this to those who like beer.

Anheuser-Busch Wild Blue -----2/5

3.75/5  rDev +72.8%

I received this for free and I thought it was quite good. Not like a normal lager and the feel of the beer was a lot like soda. It had an immediate beer taste to it then you can taste the blueberry which in my opinion tasted a lot like a bacardi drink.

3.6/5  rDev +65.9%

You can't approach this like a normal beer, and I won't rate it like one. Technically, it's a beer, but it tastes more like hard blueberry soda than beer. Blueberry flavor and aroma is dominant, but not as artificial as I expected. There is almost no hop presence, but also no real off-flavors. The appearance is a clear blue and quite impressive, actually, though the pinkish head disappears quickly. Overall, this is a great party beer, but not something I would drink as an evening sipper.

2.04/5  rDev -6%

Freebie from my neighbor so I guess I won't complain.

Look - I really don't even want to know, So I'll just have it straight from the bottle.

Smell - Basically like taking a malt liquor ( Think Hurricane ) and letting a blueberry Popsicle melt into it. Everything here even without tasting comes off as generic and cheap.

Taste - Kind of like one of those Popsicles you would find in the back of your freezer as a kid. Would usually be stale and a tad freezer burnt. Imagine the taste of that, except melted into a 40 oz of your local drunk swill.

Feel - The carbonation is real in this one. Sits like syrup.

Overall - It wasn't the WORST thing I've ever had. But this one belongs to those 21-24 year old girls you see sitting around a bonfire eyeing down the biggest douche at the party waiting to end up a single mother.

4.86/5  rDev +124%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A creatively, cultured, brew with a unique taste. Heavier in texture, it was easy and light to drink. High alcohol volume, made it economical. Robust flavor that transcended the average beer. Exquisite choice for any occasion.

2.53/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Given to me by a non-BA friend, who knows I'm into 'weird' beer.

Has a quite compelling, yet non-beery, look. Wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Wild Blue and any good 'ld blueberry juice. Likewise the smell is entirely dominated by blueberries, even though there is an unpleasant sour undertone to it.

Taste is simple, it's all blueberry. Reminds me of the blueberry juice+vodka drinks I used to mix in my young(er) days. If given as a blind test I would have disputed the fact that this is even a beer.

The beer markets itself as a blueberry lager, and is 8% ABV. Considering this, the fact that it so smooth is amazing. Even though it says something about the quality of the beer that the best thing one can say about it is that you barely notice drinking it.

My expectations of Wild Blue were incredibly low, and I would say I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely not a 'beer' which will receive high praise on a site like this, and probably justifiable so. However I can see how non-BA's would find this enjoyable.

All things considered, 2.53. Will not buy again (for myself). Perhaps I'll suggest it as a good beer for quick intoxication to a friend or two. Or I'll just get new friends.

1.18/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

SO. This was in the premium section near all the locals and the Sierra Nevadas and etc. DID NOT realise it was AB Schwill. 8 percent, eh? So basically I'm figuring they brew some adjunct high gravity crap, then pour in some high fructose chemical blueberry shit, and WHAM there ya have it. Kinda misleading packaging and website. I expected a craft beer with some light fruit notes. I got gypped by macro garbage. GMO fructose headache, here I come!!!

2.68/5  rDev +23.5%

If it's natural flavor .. why does it taste like a popsicle ?

Better like blueberry syrup on this one.

3.5/5  rDev +61.3%

1.5/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours reddish-purple with a purple yogurt looking head.

Smells like a monster energy drink or a red bull. Blueberry and boysenberry are in there but the energy drink thing is unavoidable.

The taste is sweet and sugary, similar to a blueberry soda that has gone flat. The alcohol is hard to detect, which is its only saving grace. Not appealing, couldn't or wouldn't drink another one. Even one has its challenges.

1.25/5  rDev -42.4%

2.9/5  rDev +33.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dude! It's purple! Extreme beer? Well, extreme color anyway! This does have the appearance of carbonated blueberry juice, complete with soapy purple head that disappeared within seconds. Zero lacing.

S: Well, it smells like blueberries, some yeast, and something sort of funky that reminded me of balsamic vinegar. Sort of odd.

T: I have to admit, from the look and smell I was ready to not like this. But truthfully, it sort of reminded me of a fruity lambic style brew - definitely not recognizable as a lager. Taste is overwhelmingly sweet blueberry with nothing else coming through until the finish. The finish itself is sort of odd, where the blueberry fizz dissipates giving way to a light malt taste that was probably there the whole time being strangled by the blueberries. Anyway, there is practically no linger but the malts coming through were a bit of a surprise.

M&D: Mouthfeel? Basically just like soda pop or a wine cooler. Beer is definitely not the first thing that comes to mind when drinking this. Oddly, this was relatively easy to drink if you can get past the sweet juiciness. I'm probably going out on a limb here but I think this brew was at least an interesting departure from the norm.

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%