Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Reviews: 621 | Ratings: 1,618
4.76/5  rDev +119.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

I find this beer delightful and refreshing. It's a perfect summertime beer. To me, it's a beer that makes a good base for mixed drinks adding an extra kick of flavor and an alcohol punch to fruity cocktail drinks. Mix it with a double jigger of Jim Beam Vanilla Bourbon over some ice makes for a kicking bit of drinking deliciousness.

2.18/5  rDev +0.5%

I don't know what impulsed me to pick this one up. I've had a few brews with blueberries before but the blueberries were quite subtle, I knew that was not going to be the case here. It's disgusting, just drinkable enough to save it from the sink. Take a pint of Budweiser and liberally pour generic blueberry dessert syrup into it. Presto. "Wild Blue". Thick, dark purple, heavily carbonated and painfully sweet. I'd rather have a cheap can of artificial berry flavored malt liquor. If that's what you're looking for than this may hit the spot. I didn't realize it was produced by AB. I wouldn't have took a second look. Absolutely ridiculous it's priced like a proper craft beer.

2.45/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a dark red color. 1/5 inch head of an off-pink color. Poor retention and decent lacing. Smells of strong medicinal fruit, pale malt, slight sweet malt, and alcohol. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of pale malt, slight sweet malt, alcohol, and medicinal fruit flavor. Overall, weak appearance, lacking complexity (body, aroma, and blend), medicinal aspects are quite the detriment.

1.86/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a dark purple with very little head. Smells like blueberry syrup. Taste is blueberries (overwhelmingly so) and alcohol. The 8% is not masked well. Really tough to get through a whole glass. Cloyingly sweet.

3.3/5  rDev +52.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bought a 6-pack to give them a try. They have been out for awhile, and after trying Lambic beers last week I decided to try ol' Wild Blue. I also saw the 8% alcohol, and when the price I saw was at $7.99 I was sold.

It is very easy to see how this beer was created-- the look and smell both scream "Blueberry". The smell was intense berry, a little tart smell too. Taste was just as I predicted-- blueberries! Actually, a slight beer taste was detectable at the end, but the berry juice overpowered it. However, the alcohol content was totally masked-- this could be a dangerous drink for the lightweight drinkers. Feel is okay, not heavily carbonated, but not overly balanced either, and felt like a blueberry wine cooler more than anything. Drink was somewhat refreshing-- certainly not dry.

I'd recommend the Lambic beers before this one, they are far superior in quality-- but then again, price and alcohol content of Wild Blue are hard to beat. If you like blueberries and don't mind wine coolers/Lambic beers/fruit beers then give it a try. Otherwise, look at this beer as a cheap way to a buzz.

3.85/5  rDev +77.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a crazy almost blood red color with a fizzy soapy crackling purple head. Very pretty and wild looking pour.

The smell is a rush of berry sweetness with the blueberry fighting for center stage. There may be some malts or bread notes in here but they are largely smashed by that berry presence.

The taste is like a fizzy blueberry wine. Very sweet, very blueberry and no lager or beer flavor found here.

Mouth fell varies. While cold this id fairly light and does not have much of a finish. As it warms the "beer" thickens in mouth feel. I think that this may be due to the sweetness of the beverage itself.

At $7.99 a six pack this is really an actually enjoyable beverage. The alcohol is well hidden within all of that sweetness for sure so be careful with that. What hurts this is the label that states it is a blueberry flavored lager. The lager is just not there. For a blueberry fizzy this is a pretty darn good drink and I would definitely buy it again. I am just so torn on the overall because I like it but definitely do not find this to be any kind of "beer".

3.5/5  rDev +61.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rated for what it is. Looks like a big glass of blueberry juice. A pretty, dark berry up to the light, with a half finger of light purple (that's right) head that sticks and leaves some nice lacing down the glass. The aroma is a little grainy, plenty of blueberries, and just a bit of alcohol, but really very mild. The flavor is quite a lot of not just blueberries, but raspberries, and strawberries. Feel is very dry, medium bodied, and average carbonation. If you want a high ABV fruit beer, this might do.

1.66/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

L: Dark purple with a purple, very short lived fizzy head.

S: Blueberry and a little alcohol.

T: Very sweet blueberry. Very artificial tasting. Some cheap malt liquor in the finish.

F: Syrupy and fizzy.

O: Basically a cheap artificial juice with a slight alcohol edge. Way too sweet and not very enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev +94.9%

Look: Deep hue of black and it's a nice one.
Smell: An awesome mix of fruits, I'm detecting blue berries and maybe some grape.
Taste: A bit too fruity for a beer and seems to be more like a soda. I still have enjoyed this on my second night drinking this.
Feeling: This is a smooth tasting drink that goes down after a little kick.
Overall: I believe this is a highly underrated drink that I'll keep in my mind for the future.

1.68/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle. Purple with small light purple head. Strong aroma of blueberries. Light body with a medicinal blueberry flavor upfront and a sweet finish. Basically blueberry cough syrup. Gross!

4.86/5  rDev +124%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A creatively, cultured, brew with a unique taste. Heavier in texture, it was easy and light to drink. High alcohol volume, made it economical. Robust flavor that transcended the average beer. Exquisite choice for any occasion.

1.76/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Looks like your usual AAL beer except this one has blueberries that impact the color, and an obnoxious fusel alcohol aspect. Heavy carbonation on this one. Aroma was boozy blueberries.

Taste is like dad's boilermaker. Rubbing alcohol. Massive sugary aspect. 6 row doesn't sustain everything going on in here. Brutal stuff for which I see no time under the sun when I would ever want this or to subject anyone I know to it.

3.6/5  rDev +65.9%

You can't approach this like a normal beer, and I won't rate it like one. Technically, it's a beer, but it tastes more like hard blueberry soda than beer. Blueberry flavor and aroma is dominant, but not as artificial as I expected. There is almost no hop presence, but also no real off-flavors. The appearance is a clear blue and quite impressive, actually, though the pinkish head disappears quickly. Overall, this is a great party beer, but not something I would drink as an evening sipper.

2.89/5  rDev +33.2%

Blueberry crunk juice basically. Good if u want to get mashed on something that is crazy sweet but low in carbonation. Also it's an overall strange color. They shouldn't have copied the design aesthetic from flying dog.

2.86/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle.
Dark purple-blue body is clear and topped but a pinkish-white head.
Fruity smell of berries including blueberries.
Flavor: sweet, berry-like flavor with blueberries; overly sweet.

Overall: not good but not entirely awful either.

4.44/5  rDev +104.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man! I thought I was a beer snob until I read some of these Wild Blue reviews! I like the darker porters and stouts, generally with a nutty w/ a little chocolate and/or coffee. I like it stout and I like it ice cold. It pains me to drink a lite beer; who was the a$$h0le that came up with that crap... musta been someone trying to get their waist line back down to last year's jeans... you know... like me...

Don't know how I ran across Wild Blue but after the first one, I was hooked! Yeah, probably a little too strong fruity but, I immediately had a recollection of drinking a Grape Nehi when I was a kid. But, 2 or 3 of these things and you got a buzz going - groovy.

But really, beer critiques are so subjective. For the snobs here who blast this beer as crap, I say try it... like after you just finished mowing a couple of acres or, just to kick start the evening. Cold, refreshing, sweet and fruity. It taste more like beer to me that the wine coolers some reviewers have compared it to. Has a beer finish that wine coolers don't. AND, this couldn't be my main beer but, it definitely has a place in my fridge for those certain times I need a kick in the ass.

For some of the beer snobs, your beer probably tastes like crap to a lot of beer drinkers too. To each taste bud, his own!! Cheers.

3.35/5  rDev +54.4%

This beer surprised me--I went into it expecting a lager with mild blueberry overtones. When I poured it (bottle to pint glass), it came out a startling purple, and immediately smelled of blueberries. First sip impression: What the heck? No lager flavor, no real beer flavor, almost overpoweringly blueberry sweet. After setting it down for a minute and coming back to it with that taste in my mind I actually enjoyed Wild Blue. Think of it as a soft drink or an almost-lambic and you'll be in a better state of mind to enjoy it. For what it is, I enjoyed it. If I'm in the mood for a beer, I'm not going to drink this. If I'm in the mood for a light, sweet drink, I wouldn't turn this one down.

1.55/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Pours a grape drank color, only this has a finger of lavender-colored head attached to it. Retention, texture, and lacing are all unimportant manners, this may as well be grape drank...erp, I mean blueberry drank.

Smells like blueberry Kool-Aid.

Tastes like blueberry Kool-Aid meets malt likka.

Feels like I need to brush my teeth.

Only frat bros looking to "switch things up, brah" need apply.

1.55/5: Nope

1.65/5  rDev -24%

First off, this is not "Beer". This is more like one of those Seagram's or Smirnoff fruity malt liquor concoctions. The only difference is that it's priced like a craft beer (shame on you AB) and has a touch of hops. Imagine a Seagram's Blueberry Cosmo (if there was one and there might be) with a very slight, as in tiny, touch of Cascades or Willamette. If I had seen Anheuser-Busch on the label of a 10 buck sixer I wouldn't have gone there. But they are not dumb. And I did go there. So I'm dumb.
Bottom line...supermarket fruity at a craft beer price. A shame.

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark reddish blueberry blue. Looks decent with minimal purplish foam.

Very sweet blueberry aroma, but rather artificial, like candied blueberries.

Artificial like blueberry aroma follows into flavor with a very sweet and cloying blueberry flavor.

Medium-heavy bodied, low carbonation, sweet, cloying.

Overall, looks decent but not very good.

2.58/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up on a whim as I headed to a party. I like blueberry pancakes, so why not? I cracked one when I got there, and it had an interesting nose of blueberry, and the taste of course followed - cloyingly sweet blueberry. I managed to choke one down cold, the second did not go down as fast, and it really gets bad when it warms. Although I liked Koz better than Wild Blue, I'm of the opinion that blueberries don't belong in beer. Raspberries and cherries yes, blueberries no. I left the beer for others - someone else choked one down but I think the rest got poured.

3.21/5  rDev +47.9%

People seem to despise this beer. I feel like most people who do have had so much beer that anything other than hair-curling ipa's and midnight dark beers, "taste like water!" Wild blue is seeet, perhaps too much so. Dig down in that palate, you CAN taste the 8%. It's a novelty if anything. Try it if you have never had it. Most won't buy again. I enjoy something different from time to time.

3.24/5  rDev +49.3%

This beer is getting a bad rap. Not bad at all by itself. Would never believe it's 8.0. Great when mixed with Sierra Nevada Barley Wine! I hate A B is much as anyone but this beer doesn't even bear there name

1.35/5  rDev -37.8%

This stuff is basically Four Loko disguised as a lager...

As in, it has zero actual beer flavor.

It's just artificial flavor and kerosene.

I was expecting a nice dark lager with a hint of blueberry. This is more like cough syrup.

2.28/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Brewed by some subsidiary called "Blue Dawg"

A - blue pink purple head like a kriek. Some quickly falling lacing. High clarity wine color body with minor continued carbonation. 3.75

S - generic AAL smells ( cheap malts ) with a huge helping of blueberry cobbler mixed in. 2.5

T - somewhat sickeningly sweet. lager mixed with wine mixed with boones farm malt beverage. The blueberries are nice but the sweetness is over the top. 1.75

M - not bad but the sugars give it a somewhat syrupy feel. 8% abv is undetectable. 3

D - a novelty that misses the mark. More suited for college freshmen than beer snobs. 2.25

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch