Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Reviews: 610 | Ratings: 1,591
1.76/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Looks like your usual AAL beer except this one has blueberries that impact the color, and an obnoxious fusel alcohol aspect. Heavy carbonation on this one. Aroma was boozy blueberries.

Taste is like dad's boilermaker. Rubbing alcohol. Massive sugary aspect. 6 row doesn't sustain everything going on in here. Brutal stuff for which I see no time under the sun when I would ever want this or to subject anyone I know to it.

3.6/5  rDev +67.4%

You can't approach this like a normal beer, and I won't rate it like one. Technically, it's a beer, but it tastes more like hard blueberry soda than beer. Blueberry flavor and aroma is dominant, but not as artificial as I expected. There is almost no hop presence, but also no real off-flavors. The appearance is a clear blue and quite impressive, actually, though the pinkish head disappears quickly. Overall, this is a great party beer, but not something I would drink as an evening sipper.

2.89/5  rDev +34.4%

Blueberry crunk juice basically. Good if u want to get mashed on something that is crazy sweet but low in carbonation. Also it's an overall strange color. They shouldn't have copied the design aesthetic from flying dog.

2.86/5  rDev +33%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle.
Dark purple-blue body is clear and topped but a pinkish-white head.
Fruity smell of berries including blueberries.
Flavor: sweet, berry-like flavor with blueberries; overly sweet.

Overall: not good but not entirely awful either.

4.44/5  rDev +106.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man! I thought I was a beer snob until I read some of these Wild Blue reviews! I like the darker porters and stouts, generally with a nutty w/ a little chocolate and/or coffee. I like it stout and I like it ice cold. It pains me to drink a lite beer; who was the a$$h0le that came up with that crap... musta been someone trying to get their waist line back down to last year's jeans... you know... like me...

Don't know how I ran across Wild Blue but after the first one, I was hooked! Yeah, probably a little too strong fruity but, I immediately had a recollection of drinking a Grape Nehi when I was a kid. But, 2 or 3 of these things and you got a buzz going - groovy.

But really, beer critiques are so subjective. For the snobs here who blast this beer as crap, I say try it... like after you just finished mowing a couple of acres or, just to kick start the evening. Cold, refreshing, sweet and fruity. It taste more like beer to me that the wine coolers some reviewers have compared it to. Has a beer finish that wine coolers don't. AND, this couldn't be my main beer but, it definitely has a place in my fridge for those certain times I need a kick in the ass.

For some of the beer snobs, your beer probably tastes like crap to a lot of beer drinkers too. To each taste bud, his own!! Cheers.

3.35/5  rDev +55.8%

This beer surprised me--I went into it expecting a lager with mild blueberry overtones. When I poured it (bottle to pint glass), it came out a startling purple, and immediately smelled of blueberries. First sip impression: What the heck? No lager flavor, no real beer flavor, almost overpoweringly blueberry sweet. After setting it down for a minute and coming back to it with that taste in my mind I actually enjoyed Wild Blue. Think of it as a soft drink or an almost-lambic and you'll be in a better state of mind to enjoy it. For what it is, I enjoyed it. If I'm in the mood for a beer, I'm not going to drink this. If I'm in the mood for a light, sweet drink, I wouldn't turn this one down.

1.55/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Pours a grape drank color, only this has a finger of lavender-colored head attached to it. Retention, texture, and lacing are all unimportant manners, this may as well be grape drank...erp, I mean blueberry drank.

Smells like blueberry Kool-Aid.

Tastes like blueberry Kool-Aid meets malt likka.

Feels like I need to brush my teeth.

Only frat bros looking to "switch things up, brah" need apply.

1.55/5: Nope

1.65/5  rDev -23.3%

First off, this is not "Beer". This is more like one of those Seagram's or Smirnoff fruity malt liquor concoctions. The only difference is that it's priced like a craft beer (shame on you AB) and has a touch of hops. Imagine a Seagram's Blueberry Cosmo (if there was one and there might be) with a very slight, as in tiny, touch of Cascades or Willamette. If I had seen Anheuser-Busch on the label of a 10 buck sixer I wouldn't have gone there. But they are not dumb. And I did go there. So I'm dumb.
Bottom line...supermarket fruity at a craft beer price. A shame.

2.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a dark reddish blueberry blue. Looks decent with minimal purplish foam.

Very sweet blueberry aroma, but rather artificial, like candied blueberries.

Artificial like blueberry aroma follows into flavor with a very sweet and cloying blueberry flavor.

Medium-heavy bodied, low carbonation, sweet, cloying.

Overall, looks decent but not very good.

3.21/5  rDev +49.3%

People seem to despise this beer. I feel like most people who do have had so much beer that anything other than hair-curling ipa's and midnight dark beers, "taste like water!" Wild blue is seeet, perhaps too much so. Dig down in that palate, you CAN taste the 8%. It's a novelty if anything. Try it if you have never had it. Most won't buy again. I enjoy something different from time to time.

3.24/5  rDev +50.7%

This beer is getting a bad rap. Not bad at all by itself. Would never believe it's 8.0. Great when mixed with Sierra Nevada Barley Wine! I hate A B is much as anyone but this beer doesn't even bear there name

1.35/5  rDev -37.2%

This stuff is basically Four Loko disguised as a lager...

As in, it has zero actual beer flavor.

It's just artificial flavor and kerosene.

I was expecting a nice dark lager with a hint of blueberry. This is more like cough syrup.

2.28/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Brewed by some subsidiary called "Blue Dawg"

A - blue pink purple head like a kriek. Some quickly falling lacing. High clarity wine color body with minor continued carbonation. 3.75

S - generic AAL smells ( cheap malts ) with a huge helping of blueberry cobbler mixed in. 2.5

T - somewhat sickeningly sweet. lager mixed with wine mixed with boones farm malt beverage. The blueberries are nice but the sweetness is over the top. 1.75

M - not bad but the sugars give it a somewhat syrupy feel. 8% abv is undetectable. 3

D - a novelty that misses the mark. More suited for college freshmen than beer snobs. 2.25

1.42/5  rDev -34%

Pours deep violet, with a purple head foam. Smell is of blueberrys kind of artificial syrup, no hops. Taste is like medicine, artificial flavors and colorants. Awful beverage.

1.73/5  rDev -19.5%

N A S T Y. This stuff is horrible. This is NOT a beer. It's purple and it foams pink. The smell is good, when I first popped the top I though it smelled awesome and I couldn't wait to sip it, but.... Then, I sipped it and, uh, it is just terrible. I found out after the fact that it's just a sub brand of the all powerful Anheuser-Busch. In all truth I cannot believe that Anheuser-Busch would allow this product to carry their name. So the smell is pretty good, but this is supposed to be a beer not an air freshener... I bought a 6-pack, I drank 1/2 of one bottle, dumped the rest out, and gave the other 5 bottles to a homeless guy on a corner who was very appreciative.

1.46/5  rDev -32.1%

I was not actually able to drink the whole thing, it was horrid.
It definitely does not taste like a beer. Grape juice, wine cooler and blueberry syrup. Gag.
Just noting this so I remember not to get this Ever again.

4.75/5  rDev +120.9%

Surprised that it had such a high ABV. Tastes like soda; is that a bad thing. Several of us get together and mix with a high ABV stout/porter for a great 24 oz.: Call it Black and Blue rather than Black and Tan. To each his own.
Wish it were sold on draft in pubs and eateries!

2.75/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured at 43°F from a 12oz bottle (no date) into a nonic pint glass. Consumed on 16Jan16.
LOOK: Pours with a half fingers worth of light lavender colored foam that shrivels into a line within 25 seconds. Dark purple in color. Rising bubbles are subtle in quantity and medium in size. Lacing is thin and moderate.
SMELL: Subtle of aromas of bittersweet blueberries are present and that's it. I can't smell anything that would tell me this was a beer.
TASTE: Mild bittersweet blueberry flavors first make their way onto the palate. For 3 seconds, that is the only going on until subtle corn adjunct flavors randomly enter and are then immediately followed by hints of alcohol as the blueberry flavors become less sweet and more bitter. The alcohol flavors aren't like the normal flavors that I am accustomed to in some beers. These taste more like what gasoline smells like. I'm glad they are barely present.
FEEL: Somewhere between light-bodied and medium-bodied. Carbonation is high. Goes down rough while also clinging to the back of the throat like syrup. Finishes with a mild dryness.
NOTE: I suppose this is an example of the "fusel" alcoholic beers that I sometimes hear about. This was bad, but I've still had worse.

3.42/5  rDev +59.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Appearance - blue/purple in color. Not much retention. Smell - it does smell like faint blueberries. So at there's that. Taste - I expected it to be a more subdued version of the smell, but it tastes more like blueberries than it smells. I'll agree with a previous reviewer. It's like a soda. If that's your thing then this isn't a bad option necessarily. Overall - not a bad "beer". Not something I can have a lot of due to how sweet it is, but it isn't horrid.

1.82/5  rDev -15.3%

Dark blue body, blue-tinged light tan coarse head. Smells like sweet blueberry syrup. Taste is also sweet fake blueberry with some metallic/dusty malt husk. Body is medium, highly carbonated, sticky.
The thing about this beer is that it doesn't taste outright bad, but as far as beer goes, hell no. It's way too sweet, why even bother mentioning the malt/hop choices, and feels like soda. As a beverage to get you drunk, yes, especially at 8% you won't need many. As a beer, I'd rather mix the dregs of random bottles at a party and sample that.

3.83/5  rDev +78.1%

Drank from a 12 oz bottle. Immediately hit by a strong smell of blueberries. Tastes strongly of blueberries up front and carries on in to the aftertaste. Pretty sweet. Like a lot of people have said almost tastes like a wine cooler. The alcohol content is not really noticeable.

The biggest thing I disliked about this beer is the blueberry taste was too strong to the point it tasted artificial. I prefer the real thing. Overall enjoyed the beer. Tastes good and is refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Somewhat coarse, light purple (!) head with superb retention crowns a clear reddish-purple body. Scattered, patchy lacing adorns the glass walls. The carbonation is slight and slow-rising.

Aroma: A blast of blueberry jam presents in the aroma, it seems quite natural and appealing.

Taste: Blueberries dominate the taste from start to finish, and seem quite natural. The rather high ABV is artfully concealed, offering only a warming sensation. I can detect no hop presence, but the sweetness of this is handled so gracefully that I expect some hops must have been employed.

Mouth feel: Soft and very full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Pleasant and very drinkable, better than the reviews would suggest.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a twist-off crown,, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Pours a dark purple with a thick pinkish head. Right away you can smell blueberry and not much else. Not beer. Taste just like a cooler, no malt, no hop and nothing else that would make you think of beer. Might be an okay cooler but shouldn't be called a beer.

2.07/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle poured into glass

Translucent purple , looks like a purple wine

Aroma of blueberries , sweetness.

Taste of sweet blueberries, grape juice, alcohol

Low sudsing

My nephew brought this to our thanksgiving mixer sixer. Voting him out of the family

1.62/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours blueish purple. Smells like juice and malty alcohol. Tastes like a boozy wine cooler mixed with blueberry juice. Feels like juice with a bite. Overall, lacking in beerness... Probably more comparable to a juice or spritzer than beer.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch