Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Reviews: 610 | Ratings: 1,591
3.24/5  rDev +50.7%

This beer is getting a bad rap. Not bad at all by itself. Would never believe it's 8.0. Great when mixed with Sierra Nevada Barley Wine! I hate A B is much as anyone but this beer doesn't even bear there name

1.35/5  rDev -37.2%

This stuff is basically Four Loko disguised as a lager...

As in, it has zero actual beer flavor.

It's just artificial flavor and kerosene.

I was expecting a nice dark lager with a hint of blueberry. This is more like cough syrup.

2.28/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Brewed by some subsidiary called "Blue Dawg"

A - blue pink purple head like a kriek. Some quickly falling lacing. High clarity wine color body with minor continued carbonation. 3.75

S - generic AAL smells ( cheap malts ) with a huge helping of blueberry cobbler mixed in. 2.5

T - somewhat sickeningly sweet. lager mixed with wine mixed with boones farm malt beverage. The blueberries are nice but the sweetness is over the top. 1.75

M - not bad but the sugars give it a somewhat syrupy feel. 8% abv is undetectable. 3

D - a novelty that misses the mark. More suited for college freshmen than beer snobs. 2.25

1.42/5  rDev -34%

Pours deep violet, with a purple head foam. Smell is of blueberrys kind of artificial syrup, no hops. Taste is like medicine, artificial flavors and colorants. Awful beverage.

1.73/5  rDev -19.5%

N A S T Y. This stuff is horrible. This is NOT a beer. It's purple and it foams pink. The smell is good, when I first popped the top I though it smelled awesome and I couldn't wait to sip it, but.... Then, I sipped it and, uh, it is just terrible. I found out after the fact that it's just a sub brand of the all powerful Anheuser-Busch. In all truth I cannot believe that Anheuser-Busch would allow this product to carry their name. So the smell is pretty good, but this is supposed to be a beer not an air freshener... I bought a 6-pack, I drank 1/2 of one bottle, dumped the rest out, and gave the other 5 bottles to a homeless guy on a corner who was very appreciative.

1.46/5  rDev -32.1%

I was not actually able to drink the whole thing, it was horrid.
It definitely does not taste like a beer. Grape juice, wine cooler and blueberry syrup. Gag.
Just noting this so I remember not to get this Ever again.

4.75/5  rDev +120.9%

Surprised that it had such a high ABV. Tastes like soda; is that a bad thing. Several of us get together and mix with a high ABV stout/porter for a great 24 oz.: Call it Black and Blue rather than Black and Tan. To each his own.
Wish it were sold on draft in pubs and eateries!

2.75/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured at 43°F from a 12oz bottle (no date) into a nonic pint glass. Consumed on 16Jan16.
LOOK: Pours with a half fingers worth of light lavender colored foam that shrivels into a line within 25 seconds. Dark purple in color. Rising bubbles are subtle in quantity and medium in size. Lacing is thin and moderate.
SMELL: Subtle of aromas of bittersweet blueberries are present and that's it. I can't smell anything that would tell me this was a beer.
TASTE: Mild bittersweet blueberry flavors first make their way onto the palate. For 3 seconds, that is the only going on until subtle corn adjunct flavors randomly enter and are then immediately followed by hints of alcohol as the blueberry flavors become less sweet and more bitter. The alcohol flavors aren't like the normal flavors that I am accustomed to in some beers. These taste more like what gasoline smells like. I'm glad they are barely present.
FEEL: Somewhere between light-bodied and medium-bodied. Carbonation is high. Goes down rough while also clinging to the back of the throat like syrup. Finishes with a mild dryness.
NOTE: I suppose this is an example of the "fusel" alcoholic beers that I sometimes hear about. This was bad, but I've still had worse.

3.42/5  rDev +59.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Appearance - blue/purple in color. Not much retention. Smell - it does smell like faint blueberries. So at there's that. Taste - I expected it to be a more subdued version of the smell, but it tastes more like blueberries than it smells. I'll agree with a previous reviewer. It's like a soda. If that's your thing then this isn't a bad option necessarily. Overall - not a bad "beer". Not something I can have a lot of due to how sweet it is, but it isn't horrid.

1.82/5  rDev -15.3%

Dark blue body, blue-tinged light tan coarse head. Smells like sweet blueberry syrup. Taste is also sweet fake blueberry with some metallic/dusty malt husk. Body is medium, highly carbonated, sticky.
The thing about this beer is that it doesn't taste outright bad, but as far as beer goes, hell no. It's way too sweet, why even bother mentioning the malt/hop choices, and feels like soda. As a beverage to get you drunk, yes, especially at 8% you won't need many. As a beer, I'd rather mix the dregs of random bottles at a party and sample that.

3.83/5  rDev +78.1%

Drank from a 12 oz bottle. Immediately hit by a strong smell of blueberries. Tastes strongly of blueberries up front and carries on in to the aftertaste. Pretty sweet. Like a lot of people have said almost tastes like a wine cooler. The alcohol content is not really noticeable.

The biggest thing I disliked about this beer is the blueberry taste was too strong to the point it tasted artificial. I prefer the real thing. Overall enjoyed the beer. Tastes good and is refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Somewhat coarse, light purple (!) head with superb retention crowns a clear reddish-purple body. Scattered, patchy lacing adorns the glass walls. The carbonation is slight and slow-rising.

Aroma: A blast of blueberry jam presents in the aroma, it seems quite natural and appealing.

Taste: Blueberries dominate the taste from start to finish, and seem quite natural. The rather high ABV is artfully concealed, offering only a warming sensation. I can detect no hop presence, but the sweetness of this is handled so gracefully that I expect some hops must have been employed.

Mouth feel: Soft and very full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Pleasant and very drinkable, better than the reviews would suggest.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a twist-off crown,, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Pours a dark purple with a thick pinkish head. Right away you can smell blueberry and not much else. Not beer. Taste just like a cooler, no malt, no hop and nothing else that would make you think of beer. Might be an okay cooler but shouldn't be called a beer.

2.07/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle poured into glass

Translucent purple , looks like a purple wine

Aroma of blueberries , sweetness.

Taste of sweet blueberries, grape juice, alcohol

Low sudsing

My nephew brought this to our thanksgiving mixer sixer. Voting him out of the family

1.62/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours blueish purple. Smells like juice and malty alcohol. Tastes like a boozy wine cooler mixed with blueberry juice. Feels like juice with a bite. Overall, lacking in beerness... Probably more comparable to a juice or spritzer than beer.

4.24/5  rDev +97.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Taste like spiked grape juice. To be totally honest I had no interest on ever trying this, but my local Wegmans had it in the "Craft Your Own Pack" So I decided to give it a try. I was caught off guard on how sweet it first tasted and then had a bite at the end. If you like grape juice you will probably like this. Give it a try!

3.09/5  rDev +43.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Well, I'm an idiot, and bought this thinking it was from Flying Dog.

It's not as bad as people here say it is. I poured it into a snifter. Pours a deep, dark purple. Looks like wine.

Smells like when I mix fruit soda with vodka. Not good.

Taste is... decent. Blast of blueberry, but there's also some nice sort of pie crust-like malt flavors. Tastes like blueberry pie. There's a bit of a warming undercurrent of alcohol, but it doesn't taste as boozy in the snifter as it does out of the bottle. It pretty much tastes how I'd expect an 8% blueberry lager to taste.

Mouthfeel is good - sort of creamy, which lets you know it's a beer, not a crappy cocktail.

Overall it's far better than the "awful" average rating would have you believe, though I can certainly understand why this might be a drain pour for some people (but then, what do you expect from an 8% blueberry lager?).

8%. One or two of these will give you a very nice buzz. Taste is enjoyable. Color looks like grape juice but I don't care because it does the job. High quality beer.

1.24/5  rDev -42.3%

Wild Blue, blueberry lager. Or as I call it Bird diahria in a bottle. This is probably the most disgusting beer I have ever had. I could give a description but it just not worth my time or yours. Absolutely Gross F to infinity and beyond even my kitchen sink said "thanks dick" when I poured it down the drain. I think I would suck a ......... before I would ever drink this nasty ass shit again. And I was going to say poop cycle you Gross Ass. Do not buy this in fact if you see it at a store throw it on the ground and save one person's taste buds.

4.81/5  rDev +123.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an amazing fruit beer! To my surprise, it is not too sweet to enjoy a few of them. Most fruity beers are too sugary and gives a headache. Not Wild Blue, between the high alcohol content and great taste, you can't wrong.

2.51/5  rDev +16.7%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date present. Finally getting around to reviewing this one from Anheuser-Busch, acquired a single bottle of this stuff as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's for the purpose of review. Expectations are low; I remember trying this once before several years back. Label says 'May contain blueberry sediment' LOL.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass for the sake of knowledge.

A - Pours an attractive blueberry / grape juice colored body with about two fingers of pinkish-purple tinted white foam for a head. Semi-decent head retention considering the moderate abv. Leaves some okay fluffy lacing behind. Looks alright, I guess, considering what it is.

S - A medicinal and artificial aroma pervades. Not pulling out anything in the wake of authentic beer aromas from this one. No hop content, no malt, no roast, no yeast. Purely artificially flavored blueberry / grape drink, with some vodka esque alcohol fumes.

T - Taste follows the nose: cheap and artificially flavored wine-cooler flavor with some poorly made mixed drink vodka booziness. In no way does this resemble actual craft beer, or even an American adjunct lager. No malt, no hops, no yeast.

M - Crisply carbonated, and I suppose it is even easy-drinking, considering the high abv. Sweetened, medicinal, sticky, and boozy.

Overall, a poor poor example of a faux-craft blueberry lager. You'd be better off grabbing a wine-cooler, or making a mixed drink over this, because I would recommend this to those who like beer.

Anheuser-Busch Wild Blue -----2/5

2.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Given to me by a non-BA friend, who knows I'm into 'weird' beer.

Has a quite compelling, yet non-beery, look. Wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Wild Blue and any good 'ld blueberry juice. Likewise the smell is entirely dominated by blueberries, even though there is an unpleasant sour undertone to it.

Taste is simple, it's all blueberry. Reminds me of the blueberry juice+vodka drinks I used to mix in my young(er) days. If given as a blind test I would have disputed the fact that this is even a beer.

The beer markets itself as a blueberry lager, and is 8% ABV. Considering this, the fact that it so smooth is amazing. Even though it says something about the quality of the beer that the best thing one can say about it is that you barely notice drinking it.

My expectations of Wild Blue were incredibly low, and I would say I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely not a 'beer' which will receive high praise on a site like this, and probably justifiable so. However I can see how non-BA's would find this enjoyable.

All things considered, 2.53. Will not buy again (for myself). Perhaps I'll suggest it as a good beer for quick intoxication to a friend or two. Or I'll just get new friends.

I LOVE his beer! I am a woman so that my influence my decision. I do not like the regular taste of beer. This beer tastes good for those who can't take the bitter taste of your normal beer. Who can deny the alcohol content of 8%!?

1.82/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This is the closest to a drain pour I've ever come, probably. I only didn't because of my own personal rule that if I buy it, I drink it. Still, this beer is like a combination of a wine cooler, Colt 45, and blueberry pie filling. It's a crime against humanity that Anheuser-Busch doesn't have its name somewhere on this, because I never would have bought this otherwise.

The only redeeming quality of this beer is the 8% abv, so at least you'll feel it afterward.

4.33/5  rDev +101.4%

Americans have no big experience about strong fruity beers . As a Belgian citizen I find this beer to be on par of a good strong fruit tasting beer. Maybe the head is not as good as it could be. But for the price it is a killer great tasting style not close to lambic but very nice to have and very satisfactory taste . Duvel is closest to the alcohol content. And for summer I find this a Hit. Anheuser has some good advisors from Belgium . Do not trash this beer as it is a keeper in this american market .. It is not really a lager .but more a strong ale. the American tastbuds ar e too much about Ipa an hops. there is much more out of there. Balance strength and deepness in the alcohol content.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch