Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Ratings: 1,638 |  Reviews: 627
3.33/5  rDev +47.3%

I tried it at JL Beers in Moorhead, after my girlfriend's love for blueberries caused her to order one.

Appearance
This "beer" looks almost opaque, but has a distinct dark red color when seen held up in the light. The head is almost pink, and more red than cream-colored.

Smell
Strong wild berry smell, with a bit of bubble gum, it seems.

Taste
It's blueberry, alright! Doesn't taste much like beer at all, it only has a few hints of malt towards the end.

Mouthfeel
Extremely bubbly. Surprisingly not very sticky, almost more like a super-fruity, heavier white wine than a sweet beer.

Overall
It's not really a beer. With that in mind, it's actually pretty alright. It's definitely an alternative for people who don't like "beery" flavors. For what it's worth, I was quite surprised that it's fairly enjoyable - As long as you realize that it has nothing to do with beer other than the name. Personally, I wouldn't buy it. But I can see how others might enjoy it.

2.5/5  rDev +10.6%

1.5/5  rDev -33.6%

3.5/5  rDev +54.9%

2.5/5  rDev +10.6%

2.73/5  rDev +20.8%

Having not drank many fruit beers, I don't have much to judge this beer on other than what others have said or the fact that A-B makes it. But its pretty darn good! Remove the fact that it says beer and pretend its an alcoholic concoction of some sorts and it is very tasty. It has no hop aroma or bitterness, very little head or lacing so just throw an ice cube or two in it and just enjoy a sweet fruit drink.

1.5/5  rDev -33.6%

4.11/5  rDev +81.9%

I was actually afraid to try this beer after reading so many bad reviews of it. I imagined it as "thick" and "syrupy". Descriptions made it sound horrible. I finally read a quote of someone saying it was like "between a beer and a wine". That intrigued me because I love wine. I love blueberries. I ignored the bad reviews and took the plunge. I LOVE this beer! It is different! It does have a sweetnesss to it, but it is not the thick syrupy taste, just a light sweet flavor. It does remind me of a wine more than a beer. The flavor is pleasing, light, with a fruitiness that tastes good. Unlike most beers, it has a pretty color of what you would expect from a blueberry beverage, a definite purple. It has a two finger head that does dissipate. Although I resisted even sampling this beer, it has become my favorite! I am wondering since it actually is made from blueberry juice, if any of the healthy anthocyanins remain in the beer? If so, it would be a health beverage as well as just an enjoyable one.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch