Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,657 |  Reviews: 633

A: Pours like grape juice into my pint glass. Minimal purple head.

S: Smells like Manoshevitz. Basically a mix of vodka and fruit juice.

T: Tart concentrated evil. So overpoweringly sweet to the point of disgust. This might be the worst beer ever made. There is a lager taste in the finish. Before that is is pure evil. Not even beer and I like fruit beers.

M: I can't taste this. This is too awful for words.

D: I would rather drink rubbing alcohol than this. I also agree that AB is pulling some shenanigans for not putting their name on their product and fronting that this is a micro. This is the worst beer I have ever had...ever. Do not even look at this beer on the shelf or risk your eyes falling out.

1.53/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, That explains the one Busch Lite bottle cap among my six-pack! At first I thought; "Did someone open a bottle, pour toxic substances in, and then re-cap the bottle with a Busch Lite cap. Weel, now that I know it's an AB cheapshot, trying to masquerade as an actual lager, I now know that I willnot die from drinking it. Although I might just commit suicide because an AB product has penetrated my body!

1.3/5  rDev -42.7%

Each time I visit my local package store I sift through the beer so find something new, then I came upon this beer.... Wild Blue. Well given I like Sweetwater Blue, I thought I'd give it a try.

First off it has a screw top... "Uh oh" was my first thought. Next, was the smell from the bottle...I noticed that malt beverage aroma I remembered from broke, "I'll drink anything for cheap..", college days.

The taste is practically Medicinal... Something I'd expect in a grape...oops, blueberry flavored laxitive.

In a nutshell, It's horrible. I'd rather stay sober than drink this crap!

1.13/5  rDev -50.2%

I won't bother with a full review on this one, as it doesn't seem worth the effort. Suffice it to say, if I was back in high school, and looking to get drunk - this would be great. Tastes like alcoholic kool aid. All fruit, no beer. Definitely the Boones Farm of beer. I also think its pretty shady of AB to try and pass this off as a completely unrelated brewery.

1.1/5  rDev -51.5%

This is, without a doubt, one of the most disgusting beers I've had in a long time. Pours the color of a fruit drink: a purple somewhere between pink and burgundy. Just a collar for a head. The nose is overpoweringly sweet, with an aroma that's a blend of fake grape and fake blueberry -- this smells like artificially created candies and such that have "blueberry" flavor. No actual blueberries smell like this. On the palate, sickeningly sweet (is that aspartame?), with a consistency and pungency that reminds of cough syrup rather than beer. The beer dries out just a bit toward the finish, and that's a good thing -- the fewer the flavors from this lingering on your tongue, the better. Overall, I can't say enough bad things about this beer. Avoid this at all costs. Why, AB, why? You can do better than this!

2.42/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours like grape juice in color. A lot of carbonation resulting in a bubbly head that dissipates quickly to nothing. No lacing.
S - Blueberry all the way. Slightly alcoholic. Very light aroma.
T - Very sweet. Definitely blueberry. Slight hoppyness.
M - High carbonation. Light body. Fizzy.
D - Way too winecooler-ish for me. Doesn't taste like beer much at all. Definitely a "girl who doesn't like beer" type of beer. Good flavor, but too much sweet for me.

1.23/5  rDev -45.8%

Good lord... I was in the mood for a fruit beer & had initially picked a 6 of a regional blueberry ale off the shelf, then I saw this stuff. "Hmmm, Baldwinsville, NY." I though, "Something kinda local. I'll give it a whirl." Oh, those crafty devils at A-B...

My initial review of this... beverage is:
A- Heinous, S- Heinous, T- Heinous M- Slightly less than heinous, D- Heinous
However, in all fairness, I have performed a proper review:

A- Berry punch anyone? This stuff pours thin & hyper-carbonated with a small lavender head that dissipates within seconds. Its a pretty mulberry color that would appeal to many 5 year old children.

S- Twist off the top and immediately an overwhelming odor, err, aroma of berry concentrate assails your senses. It may state "natural" on the label, but this ain't.

T- Sickeningly sweet. I love fruit beers. This isn't one. Its kinda like Juicy-juice concentrate with bottom-shelf vodka added to it. I'm sure there's some high school girl out there that thinks this stuff's da bomb. ...Actually, as I think about it, its like what I imagine jail house pruno would taste like- you know, when inmates collect anything fermentable (i.e. sugar packets, apples, etc.), put it all in a garbage bag under their mattress for a week?

M- Thin, sticky & hyper-carbonated. Also kinda chunky from the vomit that this stuff induces.

D- Hahaha! I've barely managed to drink 6oz of this crud & hoping the other 6 will help clear the drains. Its so overwhelmingly artificially sweet that I just can't manage anymore.

Now the question is, who can I foist the other 5 off to??

1.17/5  rDev -48.5%

Thank god I didn't buy this.

Poured into a snifter. It pours a rich purple/blue/red, and I immediately get scared. It has a lighter purple head that lowers ever so quickly. Aromas are of blueberry and grainy alcohol. Taste is terrible, blueberries up front with a high alcohol finish. I can't even finish this beer, it is that bad. But, then again not much from A-B can I finish. Mouthfeel is just weird, very syrupy, and it almost feels like a wine cooler that I stole from my mom when I was 15. Will I drink it again....not even on Fear Factor!

1.71/5  rDev -24.7%

Yuck! I had this brew at a recent beer tasting event. Our host apologized in advance for having this one in the lineup, but he told the AB rep that he would ask his clientele their opinion... well the opinion was overwhelming negative.

No other words for this other than, "Never again"

1.67/5  rDev -26.4%

Traded a buddy a Bigfoot for this - man, did I take it in the shorts on this one!

Holy crappola, just to reiterate - this is just cheap malt liquor that had a ton of sweet, sugary blueberry syrup added to it. Just like an alcopop, plenty of alcohol to dumb down the masses. Freaking grape/blueberry soda.

Just when you think AB may be trying to make better beer, they come up with this shit.

1.1/5  rDev -51.5%

Pours an odd reddish purple color which immediately scared me. Pathetic white head dissappears quickly.

Scent is sweet like sugar, and berries also present, not to mention loads of alcohol.

Taste is terrible. Huge alcohol taste, syrupy blueberry and yeast.

Like drinking bubbley syrup. Put some vodka with blueberry juice concentrate and a dash of bud light and you've just made this beer for yourself. Avoid at all costs.

1.4/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Poured into a standard pint glass. As soon as I started the pour my expectations vanished. I was fairly certain I was about to drink a glass of red wine mixed with grape juice. Gah, here goes...

A - Grape juice purple coloration, minimal head, poor retention and lacing. Not appealing to put it bluntly.

S - Rotted raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry notes, and alcohol.

T - See above + carbonated fruit liquor.

M - Sharp aftertastes, high carbonation, unpleasant residue to which the taste sticks.

D - Nil. 0. Sorry, think positive, no one has an agenda here. It has a decent fruit quality that may really appeal to people who aren't into beer. There, that was nice. Now, for beer lovers, stay far far away from this wretched blasphemy. Far far away...

2.01/5  rDev -11.5%

pours a light ruby color with little head, smells like kool-aid, mixed with alcohol. it doesn't look terrible or smell terrible. the taste is less than average.. i've hard worse but this isn't good. i dont like fruit beers, and this one isn't impressive, i guess if you like fruit beers you might like this

2.19/5  rDev -3.5%

This is a sparkling grape juice in a beer bottle. It is deep red, almost purple. Smell is of blueberries and grape juice. Tastes like grape juice. Carbonation way too high. Just a bad "beer." The only good thing about this is it does pack a punch with the 8% ABV and it is hidden very well. But when it all comes down to it, this tastes nothing like a beer.

3.43/5  rDev +51.1%

A: Ruby red and purple body. Very pink, almost dark pink, head. Holds well and leaves some nice lace.
S: The nose is delicately fruity. Like a small bowl of fresh crushed berries, more raspberry than blueberry.
T: The flavor is all juice, bright and tart. Like "Juicy-Juice"; and again, more raspberry than blueberry. No signs of malt or hops except for hints in the lingering, mostly berry-ish finish. Steady underlying bitterness. Some alcohol becomes apparent halfway through. One-sided except for the underlying alcohol.
M: Medium bodied. Dextrinous edge. Delicately bristling carbonation.
D: Well, I'm not even sure you can call this beer. Not really. It's like a fruity malternative on steroids... the beer equivalent of Boone's Farm. Drinkable? Well, yes, but why not just add some grain alcohol to fruit juice?

1.8/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a deep ruby purple like blueberry beer would look like if it were made at the end of rainbows.

I can’t get over the rich color. Taste is of dry blueberries encompassed with a corn syrup soda pop sweetness.
Drinkable and even enjoyable if you can handle the sugars.

Probably what the french give their kids as an alternative to Rosé to get them to take a nap after lunch.

2.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours out as grape juice does. Purple as purple can get. Lots of Purple suds.]
You can immediatly smell blueberry and alcohol. A little yeast comes through this mud but is very slight.
Taste like grape drink from Nehi with vodka added in for umph.
This is nasty. No beer here to report.

2.85/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep dark cranberry color. (I wonder what kind of Cosmo this would make).

Smelled like a beer with sweet juices, although I'm not sure I would have pegged blueberry if I was blindfolded.

The first half of my glass was enjoyable. I thought to myself, why drink Smirnoff Ice or other sweet malts? Here is something that is barely sweet with a decent beer flavor. Not only that, but it's labeled at 8% which is masked well. However by the time I passed the half way point, it felt a bit flat and started to taste like sickly sweet cranberry or blueberry juice. By the end, I wouldn't be interested in too many more of these.

The label warns: "Made from all natural ingredients. Blueberry sediments may be found in beer." I did not find any at all. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

At the bottom of the label in teeny tiny letters are merely the words: "Blue Dawg Brewing, Baldwinsville, NY"
Wouldn't you think that the owners of a fine premium beer would be proud of who they are, the name of their brewery, and maybe a logo? I guess not if you're Anheuser-Busch pretending you're a micro brewery. Shameful.

1.53/5  rDev -32.6%

One pint brown bottle with some ugly ass dog on the fruit kicking a giant blueberry with its hind leg. Poured, it looks like black currant juice, topped with a fizzy, tight purple-y-pink colored head. Retention is mediocre, with a creamy foam ring.

Strong artificial blueberry aroma, bubble-gummy, with a solvent edge.

If it didn't say "Blueberry Lager" on the label, you'd be hard-pressed in recognizing this as an actual beer. It's medium in body, with some syrupy density, and a prickly and spritzy carbonation. Quite tart upfront with acidic berry-like characters, super-sugary artificial blueberry sweetness, and smack of lime in the back. Sour in spots, with a growing alcohol presence as the beer warms. Dry finish, a bit tannic, with a fruit drink powderiness that's not overly desirable.

This is simply a Malt Liquor merged with a concentrate blueberry juice based soft drink. Nothing more.

3.63/5  rDev +59.9%

Poured out into a pint glass, beer was a deep red color with little head and lacing. Smell is strong of blueberries and malt. The taste is pleasently sweet, with very little hops. The beer has a relativly high alcohol content, which is not noticable due to the sweet blueberry taste. Almost reminds me of a wine in consistancy, but obviously carbinated. The overall drinkability would be higher if the beer was better balanced on the hops side. This beer is an excellent taster, but I don't think I could drink a whole lot of them in one night.

3.32/5  rDev +46.3%

Was surprised by the wine like appearance. Little head retention - maybe due to 8% abv which I found to be totally hidden by the strong natural blueberry aroma and nearly cloying flavor. Body and mouthfeel were on the thin side in spite of the sweetness. I would have thought the dextrins may have kicked up the mouthfeel. Wondering about how the sweetness was obtained. It does dry at the end but seems like a bottle would be all that I would want for an evening.

Although I was sharing a 12 pack provided by the brewmaster, I chose not to question him about this fruit beer instead asking about 3 other craft brews - a blonde, Brewmasters "dopplebock" and my favorite their soon to be released porter.

3.13/5  rDev +37.9%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a red purple body that is dark and clear with a red/purple head that is very bright. There is a strong carbonation racing through this beer.

S- The smell of blueberries is strong as soon as I open the bottle. It has a nice fresh fruit note to it but it is very strong and dominates the smell.

T- The taste of blueberries is softer than the smell with a bit of a syrupy note and a dry Champaign finish. There is a smooth pale malt note after the berry flavor and it is followed by a light sulfur noble hop finish that is dry.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a fizz texture in the finish.

D- This beer has big fruit flavors but needs some malt or something to give it a balance.

2.16/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Fluorescent mulberry with bright cranberry highlights and a pastel blueberry crown. Wild Blue looks like grape juice with a head and is one of the oddest looking beers that I've ever seen that didn't use artificial coloring. On second thought, I'm not sure how adding blueberries alone would result in colors this psychedelic. The head is actually praiseworthy in terms of persistence and lace. The appearance, although odd, is pretty cool if I take my geek hat off for as long as it takes me to type this sentence.

The nose is berryish, but I'm still not sure that something artificial hasn't been added. The label says that the beer contains 'natural flavors'. There's no rule, however, that says they have to tell us *everything* that it contains. Otherwise the beer smells industrial to me. Not metallic exactly, but along those lines. I'm amazed that there isn't much evidence of alcohol given the ABV.

Wild Blue tastes like vodka-spiked grape juice. I'm not talking about the top shelf stuff either, but the mass-produced rotgut that tastes more like Sterno fuel than Stolichnaya Cristall. Why on earth would any brewery give their blueberry lager an 8.0% ABV? To be gonzo? Big Beer is not made by alcohol alone.

On the other hand, it's hard to ruin a beer that was probably ruined at the blueprint stage. I'm no marketing genius, but it seems to me that the color and the flavor won't appeal to those who might want the booziness, while the booziness won't appeal to those who won't be embarrassed by the color and might enjoy the flavor. I'm sure that A-B knows what it's doing. Or not.

As always, it's hard to divorce the mouthfeel from the flavor when the beer is this nasty, but I'll give it a shot. All of the added sugar results in a mouthfeel that is actually pretty enjoyable for someone who likes beer to be on the full side of medium (in most cases). The more I drink, though, the more the stickiness, in combination with the vodka, is turning my stomach.

Wild Blue is both wild and blue, so I have to give Blue Dawg Brewing (a small, hardworking brewery in upstate New York that is dedicated to earning your business!) props for truth in advertising. That's where the credit giving ends though. This is an abomination of a fruit beer that had no business seeing the light of day. How can so many master brewers be so wrong, so often, about so much?

1.81/5  rDev -20.3%

Picked up a single at Woodman's West here in Madison a few months ago. For a buck, why not?

Pours the most ridiculous cranberry-juice-fuscia with an even-more ridiculous cotton-candy pink head...3.5 just for its Willy Wonka-like surrealism. Nose is very similar to Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - supersweet blueberry/raspberry and some weak, musty malt. Taste is unbelievably sweet artificial berry flavoring, a funky malt backing and stomach-burning alcohol. Mouthfeel is somehow slimy and thin at the same time. This is a foul, foul brew. I can see high school girls getting their older sisters to buy them this shit so they can pound it at house parties to get drunk. Give me a Smirnoff Ice over this anyday. Shame on you A-B. Is this really the best you can do?

2.32/5  rDev +2.2%

Wild Blue? Then why is it red? Pours out to a reddish color that is similar to Robitussin. Head looks like berry spit. Aroma of light malt, and the vision of a raspberry soaked in vodka come to mind. Taste is rough... booze, berries, and some maltiness blend poorly. Ugh. Mouthfeel is unimpressive, and slightly dense. Drinkability is not that good. Wrap this one up AB, and go back to the drawing board. Skip it.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch