Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

firstprev| 1576-1600 | 1601-1625 | 1626-1650  | next → last
Ratings: 1,639 |  Reviews: 628
1.53/5  rDev -32.3%

One pint brown bottle with some ugly ass dog on the fruit kicking a giant blueberry with its hind leg. Poured, it looks like black currant juice, topped with a fizzy, tight purple-y-pink colored head. Retention is mediocre, with a creamy foam ring.

Strong artificial blueberry aroma, bubble-gummy, with a solvent edge.

If it didn't say "Blueberry Lager" on the label, you'd be hard-pressed in recognizing this as an actual beer. It's medium in body, with some syrupy density, and a prickly and spritzy carbonation. Quite tart upfront with acidic berry-like characters, super-sugary artificial blueberry sweetness, and smack of lime in the back. Sour in spots, with a growing alcohol presence as the beer warms. Dry finish, a bit tannic, with a fruit drink powderiness that's not overly desirable.

This is simply a Malt Liquor merged with a concentrate blueberry juice based soft drink. Nothing more.

3.63/5  rDev +60.6%

Poured out into a pint glass, beer was a deep red color with little head and lacing. Smell is strong of blueberries and malt. The taste is pleasently sweet, with very little hops. The beer has a relativly high alcohol content, which is not noticable due to the sweet blueberry taste. Almost reminds me of a wine in consistancy, but obviously carbinated. The overall drinkability would be higher if the beer was better balanced on the hops side. This beer is an excellent taster, but I don't think I could drink a whole lot of them in one night.

3.32/5  rDev +46.9%

Was surprised by the wine like appearance. Little head retention - maybe due to 8% abv which I found to be totally hidden by the strong natural blueberry aroma and nearly cloying flavor. Body and mouthfeel were on the thin side in spite of the sweetness. I would have thought the dextrins may have kicked up the mouthfeel. Wondering about how the sweetness was obtained. It does dry at the end but seems like a bottle would be all that I would want for an evening.

Although I was sharing a 12 pack provided by the brewmaster, I chose not to question him about this fruit beer instead asking about 3 other craft brews - a blonde, Brewmasters "dopplebock" and my favorite their soon to be released porter.

3.13/5  rDev +38.5%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a red purple body that is dark and clear with a red/purple head that is very bright. There is a strong carbonation racing through this beer.

S- The smell of blueberries is strong as soon as I open the bottle. It has a nice fresh fruit note to it but it is very strong and dominates the smell.

T- The taste of blueberries is softer than the smell with a bit of a syrupy note and a dry Champaign finish. There is a smooth pale malt note after the berry flavor and it is followed by a light sulfur noble hop finish that is dry.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a fizz texture in the finish.

D- This beer has big fruit flavors but needs some malt or something to give it a balance.

2.16/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Fluorescent mulberry with bright cranberry highlights and a pastel blueberry crown. Wild Blue looks like grape juice with a head and is one of the oddest looking beers that I've ever seen that didn't use artificial coloring. On second thought, I'm not sure how adding blueberries alone would result in colors this psychedelic. The head is actually praiseworthy in terms of persistence and lace. The appearance, although odd, is pretty cool if I take my geek hat off for as long as it takes me to type this sentence.

The nose is berryish, but I'm still not sure that something artificial hasn't been added. The label says that the beer contains 'natural flavors'. There's no rule, however, that says they have to tell us *everything* that it contains. Otherwise the beer smells industrial to me. Not metallic exactly, but along those lines. I'm amazed that there isn't much evidence of alcohol given the ABV.

Wild Blue tastes like vodka-spiked grape juice. I'm not talking about the top shelf stuff either, but the mass-produced rotgut that tastes more like Sterno fuel than Stolichnaya Cristall. Why on earth would any brewery give their blueberry lager an 8.0% ABV? To be gonzo? Big Beer is not made by alcohol alone.

On the other hand, it's hard to ruin a beer that was probably ruined at the blueprint stage. I'm no marketing genius, but it seems to me that the color and the flavor won't appeal to those who might want the booziness, while the booziness won't appeal to those who won't be embarrassed by the color and might enjoy the flavor. I'm sure that A-B knows what it's doing. Or not.

As always, it's hard to divorce the mouthfeel from the flavor when the beer is this nasty, but I'll give it a shot. All of the added sugar results in a mouthfeel that is actually pretty enjoyable for someone who likes beer to be on the full side of medium (in most cases). The more I drink, though, the more the stickiness, in combination with the vodka, is turning my stomach.

Wild Blue is both wild and blue, so I have to give Blue Dawg Brewing (a small, hardworking brewery in upstate New York that is dedicated to earning your business!) props for truth in advertising. That's where the credit giving ends though. This is an abomination of a fruit beer that had no business seeing the light of day. How can so many master brewers be so wrong, so often, about so much?

1.81/5  rDev -19.9%

Picked up a single at Woodman's West here in Madison a few months ago. For a buck, why not?

Pours the most ridiculous cranberry-juice-fuscia with an even-more ridiculous cotton-candy pink head...3.5 just for its Willy Wonka-like surrealism. Nose is very similar to Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - supersweet blueberry/raspberry and some weak, musty malt. Taste is unbelievably sweet artificial berry flavoring, a funky malt backing and stomach-burning alcohol. Mouthfeel is somehow slimy and thin at the same time. This is a foul, foul brew. I can see high school girls getting their older sisters to buy them this shit so they can pound it at house parties to get drunk. Give me a Smirnoff Ice over this anyday. Shame on you A-B. Is this really the best you can do?

2.32/5  rDev +2.7%

Wild Blue? Then why is it red? Pours out to a reddish color that is similar to Robitussin. Head looks like berry spit. Aroma of light malt, and the vision of a raspberry soaked in vodka come to mind. Taste is rough... booze, berries, and some maltiness blend poorly. Ugh. Mouthfeel is unimpressive, and slightly dense. Drinkability is not that good. Wrap this one up AB, and go back to the drawing board. Skip it.

Appearance: Did I buy a red wine by accident? Nope. I checked the label again, and it said "blueberry lager." Huh. The color is a deep, clear, purple-tinted amber. The head is straight-up purple, with soda fizziness. It disappears quickly.

Smell: Pure grape juice, somewhat sour. Only the faintest hint of malt. I checked the label again to make sure I was drinking beer.

Taste: My God, this is horrible. Tart, yet sickly sweet, blueberries collide with raucous, obvious alcohol flavors. Some slight, dry malt flavor cuts off the viscous sweetness of the blueberries. Tastes like the love child of Milwaukee's Best and a bottle of Boone's Farm.

Mouthfeel: Thin and highly carbonated. Rough and fizzy, with no body to speak of.

Verdict: My first-ever beer with ones across the board. This is a terrible, irredeemable mess of a "beer." The brewmaster who conceived of this filth should be ashamed of himself. A definite drain pour.

1.73/5  rDev -23.5%

16 oz brown bottle with a "born on date" freshness date on the label.

A- Looks like cheap burgundy pushed through a sparkler, very little head retention after the purple lace clears.

S- Smells of canned blueberry pie filling and a clean solvent alcohol.

T&M- Tastes like processed juice box juice, cheap lager ... or should I say malt liquor. Thin bodied with a thin and slick syrup like mouth feel. Slickly sweet IMO with some cheap beer qualities in the finish.

D- My palate could not take more than a few sips. There is only one word that really describes this beer.

HOOCH!

3.75/5  rDev +65.9%

I received this for free and I thought it was quite good. Not like a normal lager and the feel of the beer was a lot like soda. It had an immediate beer taste to it then you can taste the blueberry which in my opinion tasted a lot like a bacardi drink.

1.8/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I recently sampled this beer at the Extreme Beer Fest in Boston (Feb. 2006). I was intrigued by the selection Anheuser would produce for an "extreme" fest and felt I would be remiss not to at least give it a try!

In my glass it literally looked like soda or juice. It was a deep blue/purple color with very little head. It was extremely carbonated and reminded me of a soft drink.

The flavor was INCREDIBLY sweet and tasted more like fake blueberries than actual blueberries. I am a HUGE fan of blueberry beers but this one, unfortunately, was not up to snuff.

As I drank it, I could feel the carbonation swirling in my mouth. At first I didn't mind the taste, but bear in mind that this was a four-ounze sample and about half-way through I felt overwhelmed by the sweetness. It was dificult finishing the small sample. Really, this reminded me more of a wine cooler than a beer. If that's what you're looking for - a sweet, very fruity, overwhelmingly blueberryish beer that goes down like juice, then this is for you. If this doesn't sound like your taste, I would recommend trying something else!

1.92/5  rDev -15%

I will admit it is difficult not to be biased for a brew such as this; can AB do a good job with something like Blueberry Lager? Somebody gave me this bottle, so I'll give AB a chance:

Oh my, dark magenta brew in the air, Concord grape juice in the glass with a hot pink/magenta head. Nose has a slightly vinegar and vinous smell over sweet blueberries.

Super sweet blueberry champagne or sparkling grape juice, not beer-like at all. Not actually horrible, but... Where did they get this blueberry flavoring? Willy Wonka? It's blueberry all right, horribly strong horribly artificial flavored. like the store-brand blueberry syrup that sits in your fridge for year, slowly getting thicker, sweeter, and less like anything Mother Nature intended. I really think they should have toned back the blueberry and let the beer come through a bit more. It's almost like they're attempting to get just a hint of Lambic to it, but I don't think they did very well.

Body's the best part, lightish, smooth, slightly frothy but delicate carbonation.

1.35/5  rDev -40.3%

Sample at Great American Beer Festival 2005.
Pours dark blue, little to no head. It reminds me of kool aid mixed with too much water and carbonated.

Taste was blueberry, almost too blueberry. Even blueberries dont taste like this much blueberry.
No doubt an after dinner beer.

1.5/5  rDev -33.6%

Got a bottle of this beer for free so I figured I might as well try it and see. I guess my West Michigan is a test market for this beer and its being advertised everywhere. This is simply a terrible beer. Pours a syrup dark blue color with basically no head and no sign of carbonation. Aroma is weak but definitely of a fake blueberry substance. Taste really is bad. It is cloying upon entering the mouth. Just so syruppy, so fake, so sweet its disgusting. And I usually don't mind sweeter beers that much. This was horrible. I sat there trying to drink it and really couldn't. I think I drank about half before I called it quits. Do not get, I don't think even the malternative lovers would like this stuff.

firstprev| 1576-1600 | 1601-1625 | 1626-1650  | next → last