Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit and Field Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,678 |  Reviews: 639
1.4/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I bought a sixer of this, somewhat excited, but that soon died down once I poured it into a glass ... pours a dirty dark purple colour ... some lacing, and very little foam ... smell is of 5 day old berries with slight rot ... taste seems a bit tacky, like a lighter version of Night Train (see: bumwine) ... hides the alcohol fairly well but i don't think i smiled once drinking this.. another effort by Bud to craft brew (1 thumb up on that note), but about as exciting as a baseball game (ya, baseball sucks!)

Because of Anheuser-Busch's deceptive marketing tactics, I bought this sorry excuse for beer, thinking it was from a new craft brewery. I should have known better.

As soon as I poured this vile liquid into my glass I knew I was in trouble. It poured with a ghastly, unnatural purple-red color. It looked almost like grape soda, with almost no head to speak of.

The mouthfeel was also like that of soda, and the flavor and aroma resembled blueberry pie filling.

There is nothing about this crap that even remotely resembles beer. I had to literally plug my nose to finish the bottle. The remaining five bottles were promptly poured down the drain. I felt leery even doing that, out of fear it might pose an environmental hazard.

There goes $7.99 down the drain -- literally.

WORST. BEER. EVER.

Buyer beware.

3.12/5  rDev +35.7%

poured a dark ruby in color with a quarter inch purple head that settled to a ring on the glass with no lace. smell was pleasant with blueberry pie aromas. taste is super sweet blueberry malt and slightly alcohol with some rough edges to it. medium mouthfeel and carbonation is ok. good as a one bottle desert beer only.

2.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Had this bottle at Kimball's in Williamsport. Poured cold into a pint from the 12oz brown bottle.

A - Magenta w/ a fuschia head that is creamy in appearance and generates a sporadic pattern of light purple lace.

S - A very juicy blueberry aroma -like ocean spray blueberry scent w/ subtle yeast hints

M - A very sweet bordering on cloying corn sugary and fruit syrup feel. Like a sugar topped muffin, slightly bready, but moderately carbonated

T - A slightly syrupy taste of berry extract and juice w/ a cooler-like finish and very faint malty roundness.

D - It is a strong fruit lager that borders on malt liquor/cooler. A taste that really is not very interesting or rewarding. The alcohol is not noticeable until it warms, but it really isn't worth trying again IMO.

Despite otherwise negative reviews, I've bravely decided to review this.

Color: More blue than blue with a one-finger head. 8% ABV? What?

Aroma: Artificial blueberry aroma with nothing but blueberry. Can't smell the lager part.

Taste: Starts out sweet but then fades to a horrible aftertaste that resembles blueberry soda more than beer. There's no "lager" part. Sour in the middle and again, very little resemblance to beer.

Mouthfeel: Why bother?

Verdict: Awful. I've had plenty of fruit beers but this one is the absolute worst I've ever had. I have to agree with other reviews. The blueberry begins and never ends. There's no actual beer taste. I don't think I can finish a glass of this.

1.73/5  rDev -24.8%

My friend was fooled into thinking this would be good solely based on the fact it was sold at Whole Foods for $8 a six. Unfortunately I joined in on the farce and helped myself to a mug of the darkish purple slew capped with a slight lavender foam head.
It smelled sort of sweet and berryish. As with many sneakily bad drinks the lack of aroma should have been a hint as to what lay ahead.
Mouthfeel is thin and sort of watery, I certainly expected more carbonation from a bluberry soda. That is correct ladies and gents, this beverage is sweet like a soda, one of those 99 cent per four pack sodas. Yucky sweetness. The berry flavor is off, not at all like those bluberries I had with breakfast.
I do not recall a lingering flavor on the pallet and your feeling of disbelief that you are actually sitting down and drinking this swill totally cancels out the 8%ABV.
Not the worst flavored beer I have had but I do not suggest going back for seconds.

3.32/5  rDev +44.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Purple colored brew with a frothy pink head

Smell: Grape soda. Hints of beer.

Taste: Intense and slightly tart blueberry flavor. Minimal malt underneath

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Flavor lingers well. Refreshing acidity.

Drinkablity: Fairly tasty beer. Different and not as obnoxious as many brews infused with fruit and vegetables.

1.21/5  rDev -47.4%

Picked up a six pack, figured it'd be worth a try, if not the girlfriend will most definitely like it.

A: Looks like cranberry juice...dark red, pink head that reduces to a film, crystal clear. It looks ok...not like beer though.

S: Smells like cheap malt liquor, semi-metallic smell as well, really grainy, sour blueberry smell, its pretty repulsive.

T: This is foul, I cringe at the taste. This tastes exactly like Mickey's mixed with blueberries. Very sweet, definitely can taste the blueberries, and alcohol, the alcohol is very strong. Not a big fan, I'm only two sips in. Yikes.

M: Thin, not very carbonated, alcohol is unrefined and burns a bit.

D: If i wanted to get absolutely bombed, and not mind the sugar hangover...maybe i could drink a few of these, but really, no. This is nasty. If my girlfriend doesn't like it, I'll cook with it. It seems like it'd be alright in pancakes.

1.35/5  rDev -41.3%

This was a mistake.

The look was a reddish tint with no head, sticky lace.
The smell was blueberry fruit and the taste was like a syrup that had been combined with soda carbonation and malt liquor. The feel was like I had gone back to college and relived the days I thought Crazy Horse mixed with Pina colada wine cooler was an exotic drink. A lot of alcohol. It was not the worst ever, but it was simply not a beer. I felt cheap just drinking it and let us not be kind to anyone who puts a product like this on the market. I think even in my college days I would have refrained(well,maybe not but I would like to believe that.)

Note: I was really upset when I had this and I feel I just acted too impulsive when I purchased it. I usually snap a pic with the phone and check it out on the site. We live and learn. I feel as if it is still slithering down my throat like some slimy creature.

1.88/5  rDev -18.3%

Wine cooler red appearance with a soda pop head.

You can gather fruity notes from the nose but its very generic.

Tastes like a cheap malt liquor with blueberry syrup.

Mouthfeel might be the worst characteristics of this beer-- very malt liquor dead carbonation.

I could drink a few but only if I was in the mood to get drunk on something that's cheap tasting and fruity.

This has no business being called a beer.

Shouldn't you be put in beer-jail if you print a false brewery name on the lable and not the actual brewery where the beer is made? It's as if Anheuser Busch thinks that if they tell the truth about the beer's conception that people will automatically assume it is a bad beer. Imagine that?

Another reviewer has it right -- this beer is much more akin to a wine cooler than a beer. Syrupy sweet with more candy-grape flavor than blueberry. Fizzy soda-like appearance and texutre. No obvious malt character at all-- all sugar. Not a hop character in sight. Artificial fruitiness and flavor and not much else. Everything about this beer screams advertisement to an under-21 audience, right down to the cartoonish logo and junior-high wording on the package. This is Kool Aid at 8%.

12 oz single bottle purchased from Super Saver in Somerville for less than two bucks...
My first thought - what the hell is going on here? Pours a fruit-punch light purple, dark pink color, a very strange hue that I've never before witnessed in a beer...
Smell was pretty much on point for a blueberry lager... Pure, (or artificial) blueberry aroma with sweet essences...
Artificial, super-sweet taste... There are certainly some blueberry essences, but way too fruit-punch like and artificial to be truly interesting...
Super-sweet, unnatural, watered-down mouthfeel with a poor level of drinkability due to the cloying, overbearing factors...
Definitely avoid...

1.03/5  rDev -55.2%

I had some friends over for a night of board games and new beers. This one I had found that morning at the store. I have always had a thing for stuff made with blueberries. So I had to get a six pack. That night one of my friends tried it before I did. He called it "fizzy beer". I asked what he meant and he said that it was a soda pop beer. I then poured myself a pint.

As soon as I popped the cap off, I smelled something sweet. A hard pour got me a inch head that was pink in color. The beer was a bright rose color. The smell reminded me of grape juice. The head vanished fairly quickly. I then tasted it. My friend's description of soda pop can to mind very quickly. If someone had given me this beer in a blind folded taste test with no information about it, I would have never had known that it was a beer, let alone blueberry. The grape taste is overpowering. I usually can finish even a beer that does'nt work for me but this beer is putting that practice to the test. A disgusting sugery drink. This is not for beer drinkers. This is for those who drink flavored malt beverages. Reminds be of tasting samples of Zima at Coors (but a lot, lot sweeter).

1.38/5  rDev -40%

A: Pinot noir with a small purple head.

S: Smells like Carlo Rossi with just a hint of blueberry. It's overly sweet also.

T: I've had better Kool Aid. It's too sweet and the blueberry tastes fake. Leaves a wonderfully disgusting aftertaste.

M: Fairly light bodied and the only part that's halfway decent.

D: What's less than zero?

2.35/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Red, with a pink head. Yikes.

Smell: Sugary blueberries.

Taste: Not as horrible as it could be. Sweet, seemingly artificial blueberry flavor with a little graininess. It's been about 10 years since I had a wine cooler, sort of reminds me of that kind of sweetness.

Drinkability: Much better choices out there, but this is more drinkable in my opinion than most high gravity malt liquors, for instance.

I didn't know this was A-B when I picked up a single. Not terrible, but not something I plan on having again. Maybe I should try a Leinie's Berry Weiss to compare.

1.28/5  rDev -44.3%

Its been about a month since I had this but I at least wanted to log my memories of it. The best thing about it was the appearance. It had a nice amber color to it. The head seemed moderate with a touch of lacing. Other then that everything else was horrible.

It smelled like candy, syrupy, fake grapes. Almost like cough syrup. And thats exactly how it tasted. It was also very astringent, almost like a malt liquor profile.

Mouthfeel was ok, tingly and fairly light.

I would not say its drinkable on any level. I would much rather have almost any other AB product before this. I bought a 6 pack and drank 1/2 of one bottle, dumped the rest out. This is very rare for me to do!

Overall this is a wasted effort by AB. They have had some decent beers outside of the light lager line but this is not one of them!

2.22/5  rDev -3.5%

Whoah man - it poured out all magenta and purply with a lavender head. Even the girls in the room went, "eewww!" Nose of grape juice and hint of blueberry. The flavor was pretty much grape juice - not blueberry, and it had a sourness that blueberries do have, but seemed to be more in tune with the artificial flavor taste. Medium body and it looked purty as I dumped it down the sink.

2.35/5  rDev +2.2%

$8.99 at Alberson's in Hammond, LA (first time i've seen it)-was the only six pack i saw.

Pours out a ruby red with a purple fizzy head. Strangest looking beer for me so far.

Smell. A huge sweetness of blueberry, and seems to be tart. Smells like a preservative.

Taste. I do get a little bit of a grain to it, so i can assume there is beer in here, but the sweetness of the fruits completely dominates. To me it is more of a rounded fruitiness rather than blueberry, like a cheap type of carbonated fruit drink. I get the presence of alcohol as it warms in my mouth; it is almost like a grain alcohol. Aftertaste stays sweet.

Mouthfeel. Body is medium, carbonation is lighter than i thought it would be, but ok.

Overall, as a beer it sucks because there is no characteristics in it that gives it a beer flavor. If i didn't buy it, I would have thought it was some new bad malternative, or some weird bar drink. But as a drink itself, it is ok (though this is coming from a guy that drinks tilts from time to time). I would not want to drink this more than once at a time, but i can down it pretty well, and the sweetness is tricking me into thinking i am enjoying some fruit juice.

1.74/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear beet red/blueberry color that has a large purple/red head. The head lasts and leaves good lacing,but this really looks "fake" with artificial fruit juices and color. The smell is weak with a veggie and blueberry scent. The taste is pretty brutal. It doesn't take a genius too realize they just added blueberry juice to a high alcohol beer. Even the high alcohol is hidden by the strong fruit flavors. The m/f is medium with the flavors not mixing well. I would rather have a Bud than have one of these again.

3.08/5  rDev +33.9%

I didn't realize Anheuser-Busch until after I had one. It pours a purple, red, blue-ish color with a thin but tall pink head that has little lacing. It smells strongly of blueberry pie, not much more. The taste is a huge blueberry pie filling flavor, nothing else can be detected. The mouthfeel is good with alot of carbonation. The drinkability is good because of it's sweet flavor. It reminds me more of carbonated blueberry juice and less like a beer but it was still interesting to try. I can see this becoming a hit in the mainstream beer market because of how sweet it is.

1.53/5  rDev -33.5%

This bottle was provided by our Bud and Miller distribution rep. I was a bit wary of it when she told us about it.

Presentation: arrived in a 12 ounce brown bottle, and was poured into a Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: no head to speak of and nonexistent lace, it is a reddish-purple color with excellent clarity- you can see right through it.

Smell: very strongly of blueberries- an overpowering scent which leaves my nose unable to detect any other smells present.

Taste: like it smells- blueberries. No other real flavors to speak of. As noted by others, it's like drinking malt liquor with blueberry-flavored sno-cone syrup mixed in.

Mouthfeel: extremely thin, with small bubbles- similar to drinking cheap champagne. Does not coat the mouth well, however, the blueberry flavor lingers unnecessarily long.

Drinkability: the only way that I finished my glass was by pretending that it was blueberry-flavored soda pop. At 8% ABV, it was too sweet and too alcoholic.

I am very disappointed in this beer and will not be ordering any for our store- I just couldn't actually sell this to customers with a clear conscience (or even give it away). Kind of disappointing that they used Hallertau hops for this, they should have used their hops for other, more effective projects.

A: Pours like grape juice into my pint glass. Minimal purple head.

S: Smells like Manoshevitz. Basically a mix of vodka and fruit juice.

T: Tart concentrated evil. So overpoweringly sweet to the point of disgust. This might be the worst beer ever made. There is a lager taste in the finish. Before that is is pure evil. Not even beer and I like fruit beers.

M: I can't taste this. This is too awful for words.

D: I would rather drink rubbing alcohol than this. I also agree that AB is pulling some shenanigans for not putting their name on their product and fronting that this is a micro. This is the worst beer I have ever had...ever. Do not even look at this beer on the shelf or risk your eyes falling out.

1.53/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, That explains the one Busch Lite bottle cap among my six-pack! At first I thought; "Did someone open a bottle, pour toxic substances in, and then re-cap the bottle with a Busch Lite cap. Weel, now that I know it's an AB cheapshot, trying to masquerade as an actual lager, I now know that I willnot die from drinking it. Although I might just commit suicide because an AB product has penetrated my body!

1.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Each time I visit my local package store I sift through the beer so find something new, then I came upon this beer.... Wild Blue. Well given I like Sweetwater Blue, I thought I'd give it a try.

First off it has a screw top... "Uh oh" was my first thought. Next, was the smell from the bottle...I noticed that malt beverage aroma I remembered from broke, "I'll drink anything for cheap..", college days.

The taste is practically Medicinal... Something I'd expect in a grape...oops, blueberry flavored laxitive.

In a nutshell, It's horrible. I'd rather stay sober than drink this crap!

1.13/5  rDev -50.9%

I won't bother with a full review on this one, as it doesn't seem worth the effort. Suffice it to say, if I was back in high school, and looking to get drunk - this would be great. Tastes like alcoholic kool aid. All fruit, no beer. Definitely the Boones Farm of beer. I also think its pretty shady of AB to try and pass this off as a completely unrelated brewery.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch