Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Ratings: 1,626 |  Reviews: 624
1.68/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.86/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle.
Dark purple-blue body is clear and topped but a pinkish-white head.
Fruity smell of berries including blueberries.
Flavor: sweet, berry-like flavor with blueberries; overly sweet.

Overall: not good but not entirely awful either.

4.03/5  rDev +85.7%

4.44/5  rDev +104.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man! I thought I was a beer snob until I read some of these Wild Blue reviews! I like the darker porters and stouts, generally with a nutty w/ a little chocolate and/or coffee. I like it stout and I like it ice cold. It pains me to drink a lite beer; who was the a$$h0le that came up with that crap... musta been someone trying to get their waist line back down to last year's jeans... you know... like me...

Don't know how I ran across Wild Blue but after the first one, I was hooked! Yeah, probably a little too strong fruity but, I immediately had a recollection of drinking a Grape Nehi when I was a kid. But, 2 or 3 of these things and you got a buzz going - groovy.

But really, beer critiques are so subjective. For the snobs here who blast this beer as crap, I say try it... like after you just finished mowing a couple of acres or, just to kick start the evening. Cold, refreshing, sweet and fruity. It taste more like beer to me that the wine coolers some reviewers have compared it to. Has a beer finish that wine coolers don't. AND, this couldn't be my main beer but, it definitely has a place in my fridge for those certain times I need a kick in the ass.

For some of the beer snobs, your beer probably tastes like crap to a lot of beer drinkers too. To each taste bud, his own!! Cheers.

3.35/5  rDev +54.4%

This beer surprised me--I went into it expecting a lager with mild blueberry overtones. When I poured it (bottle to pint glass), it came out a startling purple, and immediately smelled of blueberries. First sip impression: What the heck? No lager flavor, no real beer flavor, almost overpoweringly blueberry sweet. After setting it down for a minute and coming back to it with that taste in my mind I actually enjoyed Wild Blue. Think of it as a soft drink or an almost-lambic and you'll be in a better state of mind to enjoy it. For what it is, I enjoyed it. If I'm in the mood for a beer, I'm not going to drink this. If I'm in the mood for a light, sweet drink, I wouldn't turn this one down.

1.55/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Pours a grape drank color, only this has a finger of lavender-colored head attached to it. Retention, texture, and lacing are all unimportant manners, this may as well be grape drank...erp, I mean blueberry drank.

Smells like blueberry Kool-Aid.

Tastes like blueberry Kool-Aid meets malt likka.

Feels like I need to brush my teeth.

Only frat bros looking to "switch things up, brah" need apply.

1.55/5: Nope

2.97/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.88/5  rDev +32.7%

1.76/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.65/5  rDev -24%

First off, this is not "Beer". This is more like one of those Seagram's or Smirnoff fruity malt liquor concoctions. The only difference is that it's priced like a craft beer (shame on you AB) and has a touch of hops. Imagine a Seagram's Blueberry Cosmo (if there was one and there might be) with a very slight, as in tiny, touch of Cascades or Willamette. If I had seen Anheuser-Busch on the label of a 10 buck sixer I wouldn't have gone there. But they are not dumb. And I did go there. So I'm dumb.
Bottom line...supermarket fruity at a craft beer price. A shame.

1.7/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.25/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark reddish blueberry blue. Looks decent with minimal purplish foam.

Very sweet blueberry aroma, but rather artificial, like candied blueberries.

Artificial like blueberry aroma follows into flavor with a very sweet and cloying blueberry flavor.

Medium-heavy bodied, low carbonation, sweet, cloying.

Overall, looks decent but not very good.

2.58/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up on a whim as I headed to a party. I like blueberry pancakes, so why not? I cracked one when I got there, and it had an interesting nose of blueberry, and the taste of course followed - cloyingly sweet blueberry. I managed to choke one down cold, the second did not go down as fast, and it really gets bad when it warms. Although I liked Koz better than Wild Blue, I'm of the opinion that blueberries don't belong in beer. Raspberries and cherries yes, blueberries no. I left the beer for others - someone else choked one down but I think the rest got poured.

2.27/5  rDev +4.6%

3.21/5  rDev +47.9%

People seem to despise this beer. I feel like most people who do have had so much beer that anything other than hair-curling ipa's and midnight dark beers, "taste like water!" Wild blue is seeet, perhaps too much so. Dig down in that palate, you CAN taste the 8%. It's a novelty if anything. Try it if you have never had it. Most won't buy again. I enjoy something different from time to time.

3.24/5  rDev +49.3%

This beer is getting a bad rap. Not bad at all by itself. Would never believe it's 8.0. Great when mixed with Sierra Nevada Barley Wine! I hate A B is much as anyone but this beer doesn't even bear there name

2.95/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Better like blueberry syrup on this one.

3.84/5  rDev +77%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

1.31/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

2.32/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

4.61/5  rDev +112.4%