Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Reviews: 616 | Ratings: 1,607
4.44/5  rDev +104.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man! I thought I was a beer snob until I read some of these Wild Blue reviews! I like the darker porters and stouts, generally with a nutty w/ a little chocolate and/or coffee. I like it stout and I like it ice cold. It pains me to drink a lite beer; who was the a$$h0le that came up with that crap... musta been someone trying to get their waist line back down to last year's jeans... you know... like me...

Don't know how I ran across Wild Blue but after the first one, I was hooked! Yeah, probably a little too strong fruity but, I immediately had a recollection of drinking a Grape Nehi when I was a kid. But, 2 or 3 of these things and you got a buzz going - groovy.

But really, beer critiques are so subjective. For the snobs here who blast this beer as crap, I say try it... like after you just finished mowing a couple of acres or, just to kick start the evening. Cold, refreshing, sweet and fruity. It taste more like beer to me that the wine coolers some reviewers have compared it to. Has a beer finish that wine coolers don't. AND, this couldn't be my main beer but, it definitely has a place in my fridge for those certain times I need a kick in the ass.

For some of the beer snobs, your beer probably tastes like crap to a lot of beer drinkers too. To each taste bud, his own!! Cheers.

4.44/5  rDev +104.6%

You guys are a bunch of girls. A beer drinker will review what he senses, not "I gotta tow the line cause other people hate it" re-hash. Give me a break. Review the beer for what it is, not what you read. Beer snobs abound. Don't fall victim!

I love hoppy beers! My favorite beer is Bells "Two Hearted Ale" a nice American IPA (which is highly rated BTW). I also like a nice flavored beer every now and then and Wild Blue fits the pint.

My review:

WILD BLUE? Do I EXPECT a BLUE beer? Why yes I do. Do I expect it to taste like blueberries? Why not, it's on the label!

Appearance (A) Poured into a chilled pint - Nice purple color- just like blueberries. Slight creamy purplish foam head. Cool!

Smell - Surprise.... Blueberry. Hops? ... Uh, no. Malt? ... I don't think so. Did you say blueberry? Why yes, it smells an awful bit like blueberry! And yes it has a nice sweet BLUEBERRY smell.

Taste - Surprise again .... Blueberry, oh yes, blueberry. WOW! I like it. Then again. I love the taste of blueberries. This beer is just too easy to drink and at 8% it's easy to feel! Oh yes.

Mouthfeel - About average. Not too thick and not too thin. As Papa Bear might put it "Just Right" for a fruit beer.

Drinkability - OMG swill away. This lager is way to good to contain alcohol. It's almost like juice or soda. If you close your eyes and drink it, 3 bottles will be gone in an instant.

Did you drink enough Wild Blue to give it a review? Well then, review it

My score 4.0!

4.42/5  rDev +103.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The low ratings don’t surprise me as this is a maligned style of beer on this site, but this is a very tasty drink. Has a dark purple color with a pinkish head, reminiscent of a blueberry. Smell and taste is sweet blueberry fruit. No hint of alcohol. Smooth and deceptively strong. Delicious.

4.37/5  rDev +101.4%

Wow, I wish I could write a review of this beer that would adjust it's status in the rankings! I think this is one of the best flavored beers I've ever had and it doesn't deserve this low position! Perhaps poured into a glass the color of this beer seems artificial. I had it from the bottle and never noticed that it was magenta. But the flavor was what struck me. I've had other fruity beers--even microbrews...raspberry, pumpkin, apricot ales, and lambic--but this lager maintains a true beer hoppy character, with the punch of real blueberry tang. I loved it. I didn't know the company is now Anheuser-Busch, not "Bluedawg Breweries". Still, I like the cute designer label. I loved the flavor, and found this highly quaffable, and definitely misrepresented here! Give it a chance; it's great!

appearance: okay, this does not look like a true beer. the huge foamy head is fun though, and so is the blueberry color! lambics look similar.

the smell: is mostly blueberry, which I love.
although there is a trace of true hops as well.

the taste: for me is what sells this beer. the dry hops are discernable, but trace. Yet this is definitely a beer, and not a lambic. And for me, blueberry is a drier flavor than raspberry or apricot. This is a delicious drink on it's own. Or something you'd take to a summer concert or a picnic. No residual aftertaste, and goes well with sandwhiches and light snacks.

the mouthfeel is exceptional in that it's carbonation is very tight, and clear. there is little beer hops aftertaste.

This is a highly drinkable beverage in my eyes. It does go down very quickly. I found the high alcohol volume a little surreptious and is something to be wary of...The flavor is easily the best selling point, but the 8.0% abv in this beverage does pack a kick.

4.35/5  rDev +100.5%

If you have tried Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss and didn't like it, don't try Wild Blue. Otherwise, you definitely want to try this beer.
I was shocked at the bad reviews this beer received. It has great malt and hops flavors with a really pure blueberry flavor. I thought that this was a very well made beer.

4.33/5  rDev +99.5%

Americans have no big experience about strong fruity beers . As a Belgian citizen I find this beer to be on par of a good strong fruit tasting beer. Maybe the head is not as good as it could be. But for the price it is a killer great tasting style not close to lambic but very nice to have and very satisfactory taste . Duvel is closest to the alcohol content. And for summer I find this a Hit. Anheuser has some good advisors from Belgium . Do not trash this beer as it is a keeper in this american market .. It is not really a lager .but more a strong ale. the American tastbuds ar e too much about Ipa an hops. there is much more out of there. Balance strength and deepness in the alcohol content.

4.32/5  rDev +99.1%

12 oz. bottle which says nothing about being an A-B product, which I always resent - not that it's A-B, that they mask it with BS shell breweries. Poured into my Yuengling pils glass, Wild Blue is a chill-hazed purple, like the blueberry juice it's made with, forming a small, quickly fleeting violet head that leaves very light lace. I like the color.

Smell is sweet and berries. This reminds me a lot of St Ides fruit malt liquors, Special Brews I think they were called, although with more natural blueberry, which I like.

Taste is the same, lots of blueberry, which is what I expected when I bought it. Not quite as cloying as malt liquor though, sweet and berry for sure, with some grain in the background, and the ABV is well hidden. For what it is, a strong fruit beer, it's well done, quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is slightly crisp, and much lighter bodied then I expected from the look and smell.

Drinkability was surprisingly high, this is not to heavy, the booze is well hidden, and the blueberry flavor is strong and pure. The label says it's made with all natural ingredients, if that means just grain, sugar and berries, then I'm impressed. I recognize it's not for everyone, and really doesn't even taste like beer. But it's pretty clear from the label what your buying (aside from who makes it), and it far surpassed my expectations in that regard. I was surprised how I kept having to bump up the scores. Still, at the end of the day, this isn't my style, and I'll probably never bother having it again. Quite the panty dropper for the sorostitues I'm sure!

4.28/5  rDev +97.2%

poured from bottle into weizen glass

a- pours with fairly thin body, a clear dark purple/pink with hints of ruby. which i think is a beautiful color. a good 2-3 finger soda pop-like head, that recedes to a thin covering that hangs around the whole time leaving decent lacing. this color is very different and very interesting, people will wonder what the hell you are drinking.

s- um.... blue berry. a very natural, fresh smelling blueberry, and possibly other berries. also i think i am getting red grape notes in the nose also. the alcochol is kinda strong but the overall sweetness of the beer masks the smell fairly well.

t- strong sweet blueberry syrup like taste from begining to finish. there is also notes in the back of the palate that i am interpreting as dark fruits. you can pick up the strong alcochol if you think about it, but again, it is masked very well by the overall sweetness. grape soda. this taste reminds me of grandmas fresh blueberry pancakes. il be honest i am not picking up much other than the berries and fruit. not very complex. just fruity, but enjoyable.

m- medium body. medium/ light carbonation. feels like a very sweet wine on the tongue, like a lambrusco. or slightly flat grape soda.

d- average price, slightly better than average taste and excellent drinkability. my girlfriend is not a huge beer drinker and she also enjoyed this one. its a "fruit/ vegitable beer" so it is pretty typically a girlie drink. i dont know how often i would go out of my way for this beer but i will definately be buying it for her again.

4.24/5  rDev +95.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Taste like spiked grape juice. To be totally honest I had no interest on ever trying this, but my local Wegmans had it in the "Craft Your Own Pack" So I decided to give it a try. I was caught off guard on how sweet it first tasted and then had a bite at the end. If you like grape juice you will probably like this. Give it a try!

4.23/5  rDev +94.9%

Look: Deep hue of black and it's a nice one.
Smell: An awesome mix of fruits, I'm detecting blue berries and maybe some grape.
Taste: A bit too fruity for a beer and seems to be more like a soda. I still have enjoyed this on my second night drinking this.
Feeling: This is a smooth tasting drink that goes down after a little kick.
Overall: I believe this is a highly underrated drink that I'll keep in my mind for the future.

4.13/5  rDev +90.3%

I can understand why some hard core purists would dislike this beer. It's sweet and does remind you of a grape soda. But I liked it. My wife LOVED it! At 8% it has a nice kick and I get to enjoy the taste of blueberries.

4.11/5  rDev +89.4%

I was actually afraid to try this beer after reading so many bad reviews of it. I imagined it as "thick" and "syrupy". Descriptions made it sound horrible. I finally read a quote of someone saying it was like "between a beer and a wine". That intrigued me because I love wine. I love blueberries. I ignored the bad reviews and took the plunge. I LOVE this beer! It is different! It does have a sweetnesss to it, but it is not the thick syrupy taste, just a light sweet flavor. It does remind me of a wine more than a beer. The flavor is pleasing, light, with a fruitiness that tastes good. Unlike most beers, it has a pretty color of what you would expect from a blueberry beverage, a definite purple. It has a two finger head that does dissipate. Although I resisted even sampling this beer, it has become my favorite! I am wondering since it actually is made from blueberry juice, if any of the healthy anthocyanins remain in the beer? If so, it would be a health beverage as well as just an enjoyable one.

4.09/5  rDev +88.5%

I guess I am the only person in the world that loves this beer. A friend of mine picked up a couple to try and I was instantly surprised by this beer. It is very sweet and smooth and refreshing. It tastes nothing like a pint of water that burnt wood chips have been steeping in like some beers, but also has the thick feel of a good craft stout. This beer to me is what a refreshing beer should taste like.

4.05/5  rDev +86.6%

I liked this beer. I've been trying a lot of fruity beers, and I'll put this one right up there.

Pours with little head and no lacing. Looks like red wine. Obvious smell of berries in the nose.

Has a carbonated fruit juice feel in the mouth, with a bit of berry in the finish and a touch of bite in the aftertaste to let you know it means business with its 8.0% alchohol content.

Yeah, it's from Anheuser-Busch, but I can't wait to have another.

I guess Im in the overwhelming minority here, but oh well.

I found this to be quite different, but nonetheless, very much enjoy this beer.

Poured from a bottle, into a pint glass. Color is purple, with a decent head. Left a decent lacing on my glass.

I thought I was drinking a blueberry wine, if there is such a thing. However, I did taste sweet malt, that finished with a faint bit of hops, that balanced it nicely.

Overall, I was quite pleased, and would recommend giving it a try.

Cheeers!!!

Color: burgundy

Smell: little bit of alcohol. blueberry of course

Taste: obvious blueberry - not overwhelming or too sweet/rich. its a lager so its clean and crisp

Mouthfeel: like a sparkling juice with low carbonation. clean and crisp. light body

Notes: very unique. i know that this one is a hit or miss. its not bad but i dont think i could drink too many at once, unless me and a buddy took a case camping up in canada a handful of years ago and it was all we had. great "beer" for those who otherwise dont like the taste of beer

I like this beer, it's sweet and fruity and fun! Consider it a dessert beer or with fruit and cheese. It has a strong blueberry taste and a heavy feel. The 8% alcohol content gives you a nice fuzzy feeling all over! This is a good alternative to have on hand for the wine drinkers at your next beer bash.

3.98/5  rDev +83.4%

This is a new category for beer and I think it is very good and Drinkable. Obvious not something I expected from AB but they do surprise you all the time. A lot of reviews on this beer are more anti AB then they are true reviews of the beer. So I am disappointed that the self proclaimed "beer gurus" cannot give a neutral beer review. If this was made by New Belgium it would be the greatest beer ever made. YOu know who you are the ones that feel insulted right now as you read this. Great job AB you did it again.

3.97/5  rDev +82.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow, I hate to say this but it was actually good. Not sure why the ratings are so bad.

Now, my secret. Pour it in a 22 oz glass and add blueberries. It's delicious!

AS others will say. It doesn't look like beer.

Apparently, it is actually beer:

I would love to have this with some sort of strawberry pie. It would be awesome. Seriously though. THere are seddert wines, why not dessert beers?

3.95/5  rDev +82%

From a brown 12 oz. bottle. Pours a pretty blue/voilet color with a small head. Has a strong smell of sweet blueberries. Taste just like it smells. Sweet and fruity. Feels light in the mouth and goes down very easily. Overall I was pleasently surprised. This is a quality brew.

3.85/5  rDev +77.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a crazy almost blood red color with a fizzy soapy crackling purple head. Very pretty and wild looking pour.

The smell is a rush of berry sweetness with the blueberry fighting for center stage. There may be some malts or bread notes in here but they are largely smashed by that berry presence.

The taste is like a fizzy blueberry wine. Very sweet, very blueberry and no lager or beer flavor found here.

Mouth fell varies. While cold this id fairly light and does not have much of a finish. As it warms the "beer" thickens in mouth feel. I think that this may be due to the sweetness of the beverage itself.

At $7.99 a six pack this is really an actually enjoyable beverage. The alcohol is well hidden within all of that sweetness for sure so be careful with that. What hurts this is the label that states it is a blueberry flavored lager. The lager is just not there. For a blueberry fizzy this is a pretty darn good drink and I would definitely buy it again. I am just so torn on the overall because I like it but definitely do not find this to be any kind of "beer".

3.83/5  rDev +76.5%

Drank from a 12 oz bottle. Immediately hit by a strong smell of blueberries. Tastes strongly of blueberries up front and carries on in to the aftertaste. Pretty sweet. Like a lot of people have said almost tastes like a wine cooler. The alcohol content is not really noticeable.

The biggest thing I disliked about this beer is the blueberry taste was too strong to the point it tasted artificial. I prefer the real thing. Overall enjoyed the beer. Tastes good and is refreshing.

3.83/5  rDev +76.5%

Sweet and crisp, drank straight from the bottle. It was very blue/purple, and claims to have juice, which leads me to want it to be considered a shandy. I don't know if there is any beer rules that say it can't be a shandy, but it was too sweet for me to call a lager. Great beer to get drunk on, being 8% and tasting like lightly carbonated juice. No bitter flavors during or after conumption. Don't let the kids near it.

3.77/5  rDev +73.7%

Appearance - dark bluish purple with no head.

Smell - fruity, blue berries and wheat.

Taste - if you buy I blueberry beer, you must be expecting to taste blueberries and beer...that is this. Not too bad.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - don't really like fruit beers, this isn't a terrible offering. I think it gets low ratings just because its Busch.

3.76/5  rDev +73.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a six of this one on my way to a quantity over quality night and the selection at the store I stopped at was very limited. Very interesting looking beer, dark in appearance with a light purplish head, I guess what you would expect from a blueberry beer. Smell is an interesting mix of blueberry and beer. Outstanding flavor, I enjoyed this beer very much, plus, it was very easy to drink which was surprising for an 8% beer, this gives it bonus points overall. And it was very reasonably priced. Not sure it is exactly a beer, more of a fruit cider, malt beverage, beer mix with blueberry juice, but I found it very tasty. Overall, not really a beer, but I enjoyed it and would buy again, just don't go into it looking for a beer.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch