Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Reviews: 621 | Ratings: 1,613
1.5/5  rDev -30.9%

This is probably my least favorite beer. The beer pours a bluish tint, not a great amount of carbonation and not too much of a head. It smells strongly of blueberries, which isn't too bad, until you get to the taste. Very fake, very strong blueberry flavor that lingers a bit as well. Not enjoyable in the least. I didn't finish the beer.

1.5/5  rDev -30.9%

So it sucks to know this beer is a Busch product. Had I known when I was looking at it, I would not have purchased. That being said, here is my review...keep in mind that I really like blueberries:

I just poured this thing and it looks a lot more like a blueberry lambic or even carbonated fruit juice than it does a lager. The dark purple color extends into the light purple foam above, which vanished in the time it took me to type this paragraph.

The smell is predominantly sweet blueberries but as this wafts away I am left with a light herbal lager smell, mixed with some old wet newspaper.

Holy crap this beer tastes awful. Not to say it would not have its place as a carbonated blueberry alcohol, but it does not taste like a lager. The blueberries are overly sweet, leading me to believe this is some blueberry jelly with a ton of corn syrup as opposed to real blueberries. I should have known this would be crap (Busch crap) when I saw the tag "premium lager."

Mouthfeel is just like grape drink with enough carbonation to carry the crap away from your palate before you suffer too long

I saw the score on this beer before I drank it so I waited until a nice hot day and then drank it after mowing the lawn. I figured a long day at work, a hot hour of lawn mowing, and a nice cold blueberry lager. Well the first two were accurate and the lager was cold, just not nice. I am going to drink the rest of this bottle because it is, after all, still beer. The rest of the sixer is going to my girlfriend, if she will drink it.

This is like the ghetto version of a lindeman's in my opinion. At least a lindeman's was a lambic before they juiced it up. I am not sure this was ever more than a Budweiser rice lager with blueberry puree and corn syrup.

1.5/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I've always wanted to try this as it is one of their higher ABV brews. Pours a blueish color with a weak head. No berries in the nose or taste. Just artificial sweetener, adjuct malts and grassy hops. Watery body kind of sucks. Not worth the money or time to drink. Go with water.

1.48/5  rDev -31.8%

Big thanks to grub for sharing this Good, Bad and Ugly BIF gem. What a way to ring in review #1500!

Pours a clear dark red, cranberry juice colour, thick light pink head forms, lots of lace, good retention, forms a solid layer. Smell is fucked, like feet and sweaty balls mixed with some fruit juice. My hockey bag with fruit febreeze, kind of gross, blueberry juice, but kind of gets worse with every smell. Taste is like salty fruit juice, mixture of balls, cold medicine, alcohol, homeless people, and sugar. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, syrupy, with medium carbonation. Wow, this is special stuff. Thanks Russ!

1.47/5  rDev -32.3%

Appearance: Pours pink, with a large pink head. Lots of bubbles hence lots of carbonation.

Smell: Fruity Fruity Fruity. Smells like boxed wine.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, the amount of sugar can be felt on the tounge.

Taste: Tastes just like a cheap wine disguised with blueberry additive, although the alcohol isn't noticable.

Drinkability: Drinkable if you forget your drinking a beer. If you expected beer, you might wanna pour this one out.

Overall: I was looking for a different fruit beer I havn't tried before, saw this on the shelf at my local grocery and decided to try it. The initial pour had me look at the label again to make sure I didn't accidently buy wine coolers. The first taste had me looking at the lable once more. With an 8% AVB it wasnt long after bottle 4 that I was feeling in a party mood. Unless you're trying to party without regards to taste, I don't reccomend Wild Blue.

1.46/5  rDev -32.7%

I was not actually able to drink the whole thing, it was horrid.
It definitely does not taste like a beer. Grape juice, wine cooler and blueberry syrup. Gag.
Just noting this so I remember not to get this Ever again.

1.46/5  rDev -32.7%

Bought a six-pack from the supermarket with a girl who loves beer as much as I do. Took it home and poured it into pint glasses. It pours a clearish-purple with effervescent bubbles and only a little bit of white-ish head. Sparse lacing around the rim as I poked my nose into the glass for a sniff. Very strong blueberry smell followed by the aroma of alcohol (according to the label this beer is 8% ABV!?!) The "natural" flavor (read: chemical flavoring added) of blueberry overpowers the normal hints of hops or malt. Really this beer just tastes like a punchier Boone's Farm or an alcoholic lolipop. It should win over people who don't much like beer, but for a beer enthusiast there isn't much to like. I'd suggest Sweetwater Blue as an alternative to this product if you're interested in berry beer.

1.46/5  rDev -32.7%

I got suckered into this by a 'beer expert' at Applybee's. I know, mistake to hope for good beer there.

Back to the 'beer'. It is alcoholic, sweet fruit juice. Actually, just the kind of crap I expect from stealth marketing from Inbev A-B.

Don't bother. Stay away.

1.46/5  rDev -32.7%

Bottle: I had this at a beer tasting at a local large beer store. I sought this out, because I like this type of beer. The aroma is blueberries. VERY strong blueberries. The color definitely has a blueberry tint to it. The taste is blueberries. Not in a good way. It is a sickly sweet, syrupy blueberry taste. No subtlety to this at all. As with some of A-B's other offerings in the micro world, they are heavy handed and overdone. I'll stick with Sea Dog's version.

1.45/5  rDev -33.2%

I have no one to blame but myself for buying a six-pack of something I have not sampled before. Saw it last week, label caught my eye. Came across it again when buying some extra beer for the holidays. I generally like blueberry-flavored beer. Considered Wild Blue and Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier. Bad choice.

Was not like beer at all, more like red wine or grape juice, in color, consistency and taste. Had less than half the bottle. Had guests try it, no one liked it. Five bottles left, too late for stocking stuffers.

1.44/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured into a goblet that will probably never speak to me again.

A: Kool-Aid red, with a fizzy pinkish purple cap. Head retention is actually OK, and a little lace is left behind. Could be mistaken for a cranberry lambic from a long ways away.

S: Super sweet artificial blueberry starts things out. It's joined by a tingle of straight alcohol. That's pretty much it.

T: Things actually get worse once the beer hits the mouth. The unnatural fruit sweetness from the nose hits hard out of the gate. Tastes more like a wine cooler than beer. Unbridled alcohol mixes with the fruit to create a cough syrup meets rocket fuel effect. The beer's flavor never really went away once I was finished.

M: The body is very light for this much alcohol. Carbonation feels OK.

D: This is one of the worst beer's I've had in a long time. 2010's worst beer experience thus far. Fruit flavored malt liquor was the thought that stuck with me as I drank. I came very close to pouring this one down the drain, but a friend of mine had bought it and I didn't want to be rude. A beer I will be giving a wide berth to next time I spot it in the store.

1.44/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 1 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I found this upsetting. I sent my best friend eleven texts attempting to articulate my displeasure after consuming a entire bottle. It's cloyingly sweet and MAYBE if this marriage of flavor were attempted with an IPA it would be passable but as a lager it's not working out, no bitterness to cut through. The color is also unsettling. Very flat, ultimately tastes like an accident.

1.43/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a plum color. Big ruby highlights with this beer when held to the light. One finger light purple head shows medium retention and ends up collaring the beer. Light ringy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Artifical blueberry galore. Some light alcohol and well more blueberry artificalness lurking. Nothing else can be smelled at all. It's quite off putting to say the least. Ok even two feet away from my glass I can still smell blueberry.

T- Really off puttingly sweet. Artifical blueberries come out first and come out strong. There is some light alcohol toward the middle but this is quickly overcomed by the blueberry flavor. Ending is more alcohol based with some blueberry coming out banging at the end.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is ok for the style. Blueberry is all over the palate. Aftertaste is more blueberry with light alcohol presence. Flavors are blueberry forward and not balanced at all. Off flavor is the main flavor which is the artifical blueberry. Medium alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This stuff is way too sweet for me. I'm not a fan of this beer at all. AB makes some pretty gross flavored beers and this one is right up there with them. It reminds me of bum wine more than anything else.

1.42/5  rDev -34.6%

Received this bottle for free from my buddy who bought a six pack, drank half of one and then gave the rest away. I have to admit that similar to bud clamato I have always had a sick curiosity to try this. My morbid curiousity never reached the point of actually spending money to try it however. Lucky for me my buddies sometimes make ill-advised beer purchases.

A- Wild Blue pours a syrupy dark purple, with a fizzy light purple head. Does not look like beer.

S- Smells like cheap berry flavored pop mixed with a couple of shots of Popov.

T- Tastes like cheap artificial berry flavoring with some adjunct malt flavor at the end. Haha, the alcohol is well hidden though. If you told me this was bad soda instead of beer I might just believe it.

M- Thick, syrupy and unpleasant.

D- This would have been my second drain pour ever but my girlfriend tried it and loved it. She said it was like a strong wine cooler.
Stay away from this one.

1.42/5  rDev -34.6%

A - Pours a ruby color. Looks exactly like juice in fact. Purple head with no retention.

S - Smells exactly like blueberry juice. Hints of a macro lager perhaps?

T - Sweet, sugary taste. Taste rather like Mad Dog, not beer.

M - Wet mouthfeel. Doesn't resemble beer at all.

D - Quite drinkable, if you like Welch's or Kool-aide.

1.42/5  rDev -34.6%

Pours deep violet, with a purple head foam. Smell is of blueberrys kind of artificial syrup, no hops. Taste is like medicine, artificial flavors and colorants. Awful beverage.

1.41/5  rDev -35%

I would have to say that the most appealing aspect of this beer is it's appearance. Purple in color with a light purple head.
Overall, I'd have to say I was very disappointed... until I found out that AB brewed it... then I wasn't phased in the least.
It's like drinking a very strong (8% ABV) and very sweet wine cooler. I couldn't taste anything that resembled a lager at all.
This is definitely hangover material... I would avoid at all costs.

1.41/5  rDev -35%

ahhh. I head a bit of hype about it from some no BA friends, the same friends who's number one beers are fat tire and yeungling, I thought I would give it a whirl. The smell is off right from bat. It smells of fruit (not lager should smell of fruit), Low grade vodka, and sweetener. The nose carries unfortunately right to the palate. It taste like someone put sweetener in this beer and then when you weren't looking put a splash of low grade vodka, really bad, possibly the worst i've ever tried. It does have 8 Percent ABV but its not quality and I struggle to believe this beer is adjunct free. Someone cut some corners on this brew. It does provide a purpose and it gets people away from the big BMC beers but it's not a huge gap. If you are a BA, don't get this beer, this is about as worse as it gets.

1.41/5  rDev -35%

12oz bottle, bottled late 2009. Another freebie sample from the Bud distributor. Not really my style and would never seek out a beer such as this normally.

Pours purple/red with a pinkish-purplish-whitish head. Interesting lookin'.

Smells like blueberry and grape-flavored children's cold medicine.

Tastes pretty much exactly like generic brand grape soda or a very sweet grape wine cooler. I wonder how the sugar content of this compares to actual grape soda. Lot of artificial flavoring. Some alcohol.

I like how the commercial description makes sure to mention hops and malts cuz you wouldn't know they were present otherwise. A kiddie beer.

1.4/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a purplish color with a tight head.

Smell is of blueberry sweetness and nothing else.

Taste is of blueberries, sugar, and alcohol. If someone gave this to me without telling me anything about it I would think it was soda with a little alcohol in it.

Mouthfeel is very fizzy and reinforces the soda feel.

Is as drinkable as soda or juice.

1.4/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a neon purple with a pink head, this is a joke, right? it doesn't even look like a beer.

Nose is sweet blueberry muffins

Taste is like a sparkling grape wine, the fake kind you buy for the kids to drink on the Holidays.
One thing amazing about this beer is you cannot taste the 8% ABV at all, probably because of the extreme sweetness.

This beer is awful, I have had very few drain pours, but this was one.

I bought it for my wife, who likes fruity beers (especially blueberry) beers. She thought it was awful as well.

I'm glad I was able to buy a single of these, and not wasted my $$$ on a six pack. What deceived me was it says it is brewed by Blue Dawg Brewing in Baldingsville, NY, in fact, it's a AB product. Avoid this one, your drain will be happy!

1.4/5  rDev -35.5%

Ladies and Gents, this is the worst beer I've had in recent memory. Remember those "juicy juice" juice boxes as a young lad? I wish this is that.

A: dark, purple, soda/syrup-looking beverage. 1-finger head, some lacing but not much.

S: As advertised...blueberry. Fruity smelling. Smells like wine, or fruit-flavored cough syrup.

T: Tastes like carbonated wine. Way too sweet, even for a fruity beer. I haven't vomited since the summer of 2006, but this makes me want to end the streak.

M: Feels similar to a soda when it hits the lips. Thins out a bit towards the finish. Not at all interesting on the tongue.

O: I don't like any one type of style and I've enjoyed a fruity beer from time to time. This is just nasty. I finished it, but barely. I imagine wine cooler enthusiasts would even take issue with this medicinal brew. The lone positive = 8% abv will help you forget what you just endured.

1.4/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Poured into a standard pint glass. As soon as I started the pour my expectations vanished. I was fairly certain I was about to drink a glass of red wine mixed with grape juice. Gah, here goes...

A - Grape juice purple coloration, minimal head, poor retention and lacing. Not appealing to put it bluntly.

S - Rotted raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry notes, and alcohol.

T - See above + carbonated fruit liquor.

M - Sharp aftertastes, high carbonation, unpleasant residue to which the taste sticks.

D - Nil. 0. Sorry, think positive, no one has an agenda here. It has a decent fruit quality that may really appeal to people who aren't into beer. There, that was nice. Now, for beer lovers, stay far far away from this wretched blasphemy. Far far away...

1.4/5  rDev -35.5%

What can be said about this that has not been said before?

This is nasty stuff. Tastes like cheapo malt liquor with that blueberry syrup you used to use as a kid from the tables of I-Hop. Fruit beer may not be my favorite style but I can respect a good effort. I think my 14 year-old daughter and her friends could come up with a better beverage if I gave them some club soda, blueberry pancake syrup, bakers yeast and bleached flour. Well....at last it would not be MUCH worse.

My advice to AB...forget this stuff and the tomato-clam beer and ramp up your flagship brew. Your time and money would be better spent and may pay much bigger dividends. Why waste your time on these swill drinks when a semi-decent, average tasting beer would gain you the respect and likely some of the dollars of those who now run to craft brewers for something good to drink? My advice...FWIW.

1.4/5  rDev -35.5%

it looked like some sort of funny grape soda. i didnt realize this was a anheuser beer. label says blue dawg brewing. makes a bit more sense.
tasted similar to a funny grape soda with a sugary alcohol kick.
i might consider getting this beer again for someone who doesnt like beer but is into fruit juice.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch