Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Wild BlueWild Blue

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Reviews: 608 | Ratings: 1,586
1.42/5  rDev -34%

A - Pours a ruby color. Looks exactly like juice in fact. Purple head with no retention.

S - Smells exactly like blueberry juice. Hints of a macro lager perhaps?

T - Sweet, sugary taste. Taste rather like Mad Dog, not beer.

M - Wet mouthfeel. Doesn't resemble beer at all.

D - Quite drinkable, if you like Welch's or Kool-aide.

1.42/5  rDev -34%

Pours deep violet, with a purple head foam. Smell is of blueberrys kind of artificial syrup, no hops. Taste is like medicine, artificial flavors and colorants. Awful beverage.

1.41/5  rDev -34.4%

I would have to say that the most appealing aspect of this beer is it's appearance. Purple in color with a light purple head.
Overall, I'd have to say I was very disappointed... until I found out that AB brewed it... then I wasn't phased in the least.
It's like drinking a very strong (8% ABV) and very sweet wine cooler. I couldn't taste anything that resembled a lager at all.
This is definitely hangover material... I would avoid at all costs.

1.41/5  rDev -34.4%

ahhh. I head a bit of hype about it from some no BA friends, the same friends who's number one beers are fat tire and yeungling, I thought I would give it a whirl. The smell is off right from bat. It smells of fruit (not lager should smell of fruit), Low grade vodka, and sweetener. The nose carries unfortunately right to the palate. It taste like someone put sweetener in this beer and then when you weren't looking put a splash of low grade vodka, really bad, possibly the worst i've ever tried. It does have 8 Percent ABV but its not quality and I struggle to believe this beer is adjunct free. Someone cut some corners on this brew. It does provide a purpose and it gets people away from the big BMC beers but it's not a huge gap. If you are a BA, don't get this beer, this is about as worse as it gets.

1.41/5  rDev -34.4%

12oz bottle, bottled late 2009. Another freebie sample from the Bud distributor. Not really my style and would never seek out a beer such as this normally.

Pours purple/red with a pinkish-purplish-whitish head. Interesting lookin'.

Smells like blueberry and grape-flavored children's cold medicine.

Tastes pretty much exactly like generic brand grape soda or a very sweet grape wine cooler. I wonder how the sugar content of this compares to actual grape soda. Lot of artificial flavoring. Some alcohol.

I like how the commercial description makes sure to mention hops and malts cuz you wouldn't know they were present otherwise. A kiddie beer.

1.4/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a purplish color with a tight head.

Smell is of blueberry sweetness and nothing else.

Taste is of blueberries, sugar, and alcohol. If someone gave this to me without telling me anything about it I would think it was soda with a little alcohol in it.

Mouthfeel is very fizzy and reinforces the soda feel.

Is as drinkable as soda or juice.

1.4/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a neon purple with a pink head, this is a joke, right? it doesn't even look like a beer.

Nose is sweet blueberry muffins

Taste is like a sparkling grape wine, the fake kind you buy for the kids to drink on the Holidays.
One thing amazing about this beer is you cannot taste the 8% ABV at all, probably because of the extreme sweetness.

This beer is awful, I have had very few drain pours, but this was one.

I bought it for my wife, who likes fruity beers (especially blueberry) beers. She thought it was awful as well.

I'm glad I was able to buy a single of these, and not wasted my $$$ on a six pack. What deceived me was it says it is brewed by Blue Dawg Brewing in Baldingsville, NY, in fact, it's a AB product. Avoid this one, your drain will be happy!

1.4/5  rDev -34.9%

Ladies and Gents, this is the worst beer I've had in recent memory. Remember those "juicy juice" juice boxes as a young lad? I wish this is that.

A: dark, purple, soda/syrup-looking beverage. 1-finger head, some lacing but not much.

S: As advertised...blueberry. Fruity smelling. Smells like wine, or fruit-flavored cough syrup.

T: Tastes like carbonated wine. Way too sweet, even for a fruity beer. I haven't vomited since the summer of 2006, but this makes me want to end the streak.

M: Feels similar to a soda when it hits the lips. Thins out a bit towards the finish. Not at all interesting on the tongue.

O: I don't like any one type of style and I've enjoyed a fruity beer from time to time. This is just nasty. I finished it, but barely. I imagine wine cooler enthusiasts would even take issue with this medicinal brew. The lone positive = 8% abv will help you forget what you just endured.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Poured into a standard pint glass. As soon as I started the pour my expectations vanished. I was fairly certain I was about to drink a glass of red wine mixed with grape juice. Gah, here goes...

A - Grape juice purple coloration, minimal head, poor retention and lacing. Not appealing to put it bluntly.

S - Rotted raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry notes, and alcohol.

T - See above + carbonated fruit liquor.

M - Sharp aftertastes, high carbonation, unpleasant residue to which the taste sticks.

D - Nil. 0. Sorry, think positive, no one has an agenda here. It has a decent fruit quality that may really appeal to people who aren't into beer. There, that was nice. Now, for beer lovers, stay far far away from this wretched blasphemy. Far far away...

1.4/5  rDev -34.9%

What can be said about this that has not been said before?

This is nasty stuff. Tastes like cheapo malt liquor with that blueberry syrup you used to use as a kid from the tables of I-Hop. Fruit beer may not be my favorite style but I can respect a good effort. I think my 14 year-old daughter and her friends could come up with a better beverage if I gave them some club soda, blueberry pancake syrup, bakers yeast and bleached flour. Well....at last it would not be MUCH worse.

My advice to AB...forget this stuff and the tomato-clam beer and ramp up your flagship brew. Your time and money would be better spent and may pay much bigger dividends. Why waste your time on these swill drinks when a semi-decent, average tasting beer would gain you the respect and likely some of the dollars of those who now run to craft brewers for something good to drink? My advice...FWIW.

1.4/5  rDev -34.9%

it looked like some sort of funny grape soda. i didnt realize this was a anheuser beer. label says blue dawg brewing. makes a bit more sense.
tasted similar to a funny grape soda with a sugary alcohol kick.
i might consider getting this beer again for someone who doesnt like beer but is into fruit juice.

1.4/5  rDev -34.9%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass reveals the grape juice color with a very thin pink colored bubbly head that instantly fades. Enough light passes through to make out some fine bubbles and sediment.

Smell is sticky sweet with a combination of artificial and natural berry. Some fruit and wheat, but overwhelmingly sugar.

Taste is blueberry syrup, berry punch and lemonade, all over sweetened. There is no depth or complexity. The same flavors coat the tongue from the entry to the fade (if one is to say that there is a fade.)

Mouthfeel is difficult to assess through the syrupy taste. Some carbonation, like a sparkling juice.

This is not a drinkable beer. I am curious about the target audience for a brew like this. I am more likely to pour one over pancakes that to drink one again.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I bought a sixer of this, somewhat excited, but that soon died down once I poured it into a glass ... pours a dirty dark purple colour ... some lacing, and very little foam ... smell is of 5 day old berries with slight rot ... taste seems a bit tacky, like a lighter version of Night Train (see: bumwine) ... hides the alcohol fairly well but i don't think i smiled once drinking this.. another effort by Bud to craft brew (1 thumb up on that note), but about as exciting as a baseball game (ya, baseball sucks!)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

First off, what is wrong with me, that I keep falling for this trick of fruit beers. It always sounds like a good idea but I always get let down ( excet the Wheach). Secondly, what is wrong these brewers that think a fake fruit, heavy syrupy flavor is what anyone wants to drink. Best thing about this beer was that I got a bottle I can use for homebrewing. Thus beer pours a raspberry color with the same color head. Smell is of tart fruit. Taste is the same but with the added bonus of a thick sickly sweet syrupy fruit flavor. Tough to get tough to get through this one, took about 30-40 min. Not what I was hoping for on a hot summer day in Oklahoma. Oh well you live you learn, well at least some people do...I'm sure i'll be back.

1.4/5  rDev -34.9%

12 oz. bottle tried 22 Feb 2009. Courtesy of R&S, thanks guys!

Poured in shaker pint glass. Very small purple head that quickly dissipates. Well carbonated. Looks like grape soda. Smells like blueberry extract with a faint whiff of malt. This is the high point of the beer. Reminiscent of blueberry cough syrup minus a good bit of alcohol. This despite a claimed 8%. A blueberry flavored club soda with a small shot of ethanol might be a more charitable description. Thin body. Alcohol hidden.

Drain pours are few and far between at our house, this was one of them. Not recommended.

1.39/5  rDev -35.3%

I should have guessed it, but the deep magenta-purple body and thin pink head was somewhat of a shock. It's kinda cool, for novelties sake, and easily the best thing this has going for it.
Concentrated Purple Kool-Aid nose (remember Purplesaurus Rex? It's been reborn here). Gigantically sugary sweet. Not specifically fruity, but its closest to grape. And furthest from beer.
In the mouth, it's all oversweet grape drink, the type with the small print: "contains 5% fruit juice". The first few sips are shockingly sweet, and almost okay if one forgets its beer. Then the bitter-sour alcohol traits pop up in the back, and the sweetness becomes crushing everywhere else. I don't even get any blueberries.
Tacky, medium full. Sickly sweet.
This is 100% malternative (and an especially vile one). Not beer. Get it outta here.

1.39/5  rDev -35.3%

Having moved to the middle of the country from New England, today's warm weather had me thinking of a nice blueberry lager like those in Maine. I saw this at the local Kroger's and decided to give it a try.

s - I opened the bottle, and the smell was a little berrier than I expected, but not distressing.

m - the moderate carbonation was a little unexpected, but not bad. The mouthfeel is perhaps the best aspect of this brew.

t - I took a sip, and it's just awful - like someone crushed up a bunch of frozen blueberries and dropped it in the beer. Way too much berry flavor. I had a few pretzels to see if I was perhaps just being too harsh, and that a second taste would be better. It wasn't. Sweet, fruity, no good beer taste apparent. Just awful.

a - This poured a reddish blue color when I was dumping it down the drain. I should have looked first.

1.38/5  rDev -35.8%

How I got suckered into this I'll never know... gah. Twist-off bottle poured into pilsner glass. One of my best friends led me astray with this concoction.

Appearance: Looks like grape soda, honestly. Pours a purplish color with hints of burgundy. A thin pink cap of foam tops the beer but vanishes almost immediately. Only hints and spots of sip rings line the glass.

Smell: Oh dear. Blueberry is certainly there, but it sure doesn't smell "natural" at all. It has that sickly sweet candy blueberry scent going on, along with sugary syrup and a big whiff of solvent alcohol. Malt liquor with artificial blueberries thrown in there, basically. This does not bode well.

Taste: Ugh. Does this even count as beer, other than the alcohol taste? Tart, artificial berry flavors hit the tongue and soon turn sour as the beer goes down. Nothing else other than blueberries - artificial flavoring, at that. And puckering, drying alcohol in the finish. This is more along the lines of a malt liquor for chicks. How did I get suckered into trying this, again? Not even remotely pleasing or fun to drink. Sure, it's okay if you don't want to drink REAL beer and need something artificially pleasing to the tongue; but otherwise, thumbs way down.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy, seltzer-like soda is what sums it up. The alcohol negatively affects how this beer finishes (if the taste wasn't bad enough). If you threw moonshine into grape soda, that about sums up the mouthfeel. Alcohol warming becomes more noticeable as the beer warms, and this drink certainly does NOT go down easy.

Drinkability: Never again. No sir. Not fun, pleasing, or even remotely decent. I will avoid this at all costs. Now I know why malt liquor gets such a bad rep.

1.38/5  rDev -35.8%

12oz bottle served in a SA "perfect pint" glass.

the presentation of this beer is probably its chief selling point, and that is profoundly unfortunate. pours a purplish tone, small head lacking retention or lacing.

the nose is dominated by an overly sweet, artificial blueberry presence. not good, but it doesn't hint at the extent of the terror that lurks within.

the flavor is, to be charitable, a wretched, pretty unholy abomination. cloying, boozy artifical blueberry spiked with cheap vodka. if nyquil made a blueberry flavor, this would probably be how it would taste. not an enjoyable brew in the least... light mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

Reviewed on: 06-23-2010

1.38/5  rDev -35.8%

12oz bottle served in a SA "perfect pint" glass.

the presentation of this beer is its chief selling point. and that is profoundly unfortunate. pours a purplish tone, small head lacking retention or lacing.

the flavor is, to be charitable, a wretched, unholy abomination. cloying, boozy artifical blueberry spiked with cheap vodka. if nyquil made a blueberry flavor, this would probably be how it would taste.

light mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

ah yes, drinkability... i've read in other reviews this being compared to a wine cooler. sorry to say, i would prefer a wine cooler. drainpour, and that is a rare statement from me. i feel sorry for the drain.

1.38/5  rDev -35.8%

A: Pinot noir with a small purple head.

S: Smells like Carlo Rossi with just a hint of blueberry. It's overly sweet also.

T: I've had better Kool Aid. It's too sweet and the blueberry tastes fake. Leaves a wonderfully disgusting aftertaste.

M: Fairly light bodied and the only part that's halfway decent.

D: What's less than zero?

1.37/5  rDev -36.3%

So my wife was going on and on about this great blueberry beer she tried at her friends. The couple makes thier own brew and always has great stuff on hand, so I hear her out. I hear her out only to be able to find the beer readily available at a local Meijer...which worried me. THEN I saw the abv % on this and thought she might be onto something...so lets find out, shall we?

(a) What the fuck did I just pour? I'm 99.99% sure this stuff will stain my pilsner. Pours thick like sno-cone syrup...hell, is it sno-cone syrup? Next to no head, dark beet red. (1.5/5)

(s) For a blueberry beer I'm having a hard time smelling just blueberries.It does smell like a frozen bag of mized berries, but much heavier like a cheap flavored wine. (2/5)

(t) I'm debating hitting her right now. I cant believe I was seen buying this shit. I feel like I should be using this as a mixer. No taste of blueberries, just thick nasty sugar. This stuff is even worse than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. (1/5)

(m) Only thing about mouthfeel I like is the little burn from the 8%abv, but its not enough to save this brew. (2/5)

(d) How's this for drinkability. Im not finishing this. I'm a stubborn man, but Im 100% ok drain-pouring this one. I think this would make a great starter beer for the 300lb 15 yr-old who dreams of weekends filled with smirinoff and mojitos. I really feel like having a sit down with my wife over this one...and to think I was debating taking her to Dark Lord Day with me...geesh(1/5)

1.36/5  rDev -36.7%

I was drawn to this beer by the jaunty bulldog on the package, and perhaps the typeface and inksplash of the lettering/illustration. Very Ralph Steadman—the British cartoonist perhaps best known for the iconic splatter work used for the Criterion edition of the film _Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas_. So the packaging insinuates some connection to Hunter S. Thompson, his oeuvre, and the milieu of risk and anarchy and experimentation attendant to his writing and lifestyle, as well as a kind of European or at least British eminence regards good taste and genteel breeding. This graphic appeal is perhaps meant to masculinize and aestheticize what could be, when first considering a "Premium Blueberry Lager," a drink better matched to the much-stereotyped sensibilities of truant teenagers and sorority-types.

A "blueberry" lager necessarily seems "young," although whether juvenile or nubile I'm not quite sure. "Blueberry" is first a Sno-Cone flavor, and then maybe an additive to granola, and then perhaps a wonder-berry bringing with it the stats on healthful eating and beneficial antioxidants and cancer risk management. So Wild Blue, in its packaging and name, wields an array of youthful, rewarding, and still transgressive connotations, each intensifying its allure.

I was also drawn to this beer because I enjoy other fruity, summery products: I like Blue Moon and Oberon, I like strawberry-tinged beer and citrus notes and Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, and really any seasonally-themed drink. I'm a sucker for nostalgia, for imbibing harvest palates, for sitting with a beer while reading and enjoying the way the fruit flavors change as the beverage warms, going from tart to spice to caramel.

Wild Blue, it must be said, is not in the same order as Oberon or Blue Moon, or even Sam Adams, or ciders, or perhaps any "beer" at all.

As a fruit infused lager, why does it taste more like a Fanta or perhaps Faygo grape-flavored soda that has had Keystone (though somehow not much Keystone) added? To be sure, the alcohol content is high, and the flavor of alcohol comes out when the drink warms, but even after an hour the dominant sensory impression of the drink (excepting its silly Cran-Apple hue) is that of corn syrup and grape Kool-Aid, teeth-staining, powder-thick, cloying, with maybe a thimble of McCormick's jug vodka added for a light, red-peppery hint, and then animal musk, urine, say.

I am surprised and somehow delighted by the mysteries of Wild Blue Premium Blueberry Lager. Ontologically suspect—as many reviewers have pointed out, the beer seems to be manufactured under the generic although hardly-hidden auspices of an Anheuser-Busch "micro-brewery"—Wild Blue engaged my senses like a work of conceptual art. What is the definition of a "lager"? A "beer"? How does Wild Blue conform and then expand on those definitions?

I am equally interested in the range of reviews this product has received. Some users swear by it, others have gleefully savaged it. Plenty have drained their bottles in the sink. Is this carbonated MD? is it jailhouse hooch? Is it companionable and serviceable and perfect for wedding receptions? Is it smoke and mirrors? What is Wild Blue but something wild, something the might make you feel blue?

My suggestion is: Bring a six-pack of Wild Blue to a housewarming party. Bring it chilled, of course, because it is gag-taxing-unbearable at any temperature above "cold"—like sharp-salty grapefruit and Dimetapp, and shoeshine. Your hosts will be delighted by its strange deficiencies. You'll have something to talk about.

1.36/5  rDev -36.7%

At first, I recoiled at the initial shock of this swill hitting my taste buds. My palate, having not enough time to recover from such horror, proceeded to endure several agonizing seconds while I mustered up the courage to ingest such misery. And then came the aftertaste, which I can only describe as tasting like how sadness feels. Wild Blue exists without my consent.

1.35/5  rDev -37.2%

holy crap this was bad!! got it from a friend because he was instantly put off by it after one sip. I thought I'd be the better man, I was wrong. poured out a raspberry color and smelled like a tart red wine? no head unless aggressively agitated, and then dissipates quickly. tastes like a wine cooler, overly aggressive blueberry and alcohol flavors. this one got dumped after about 1/4 of the glass. would not buy this if you want to have a beer, because this is not beer.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch