Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Wild BlueWild Blue

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Reviews: 608 | Ratings: 1,586
3.74/5  rDev +74%

I poured this strange beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a dark purple color and poured a big pink head. Very strange for sure. The head however did not last long. Lacing was good. The smell was great, very berry for sure. However it was a very dry beer I thought. Not bad for an odd-ball beer.I would drink again though mostly just to freak people out.

3.72/5  rDev +73%

As a non-beer drinker, this isn't bad. tastes like blueberries, with little bitterness, just some sweetness

8% alc gets you hit hard and fast compaired to what non-beer drinkers usually have to deal with, at 4-5 % alc.

tastes closer to a mixed drink or wine cooler, but i don't mind, its still good.

3.71/5  rDev +72.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Despite the hating here, this was tasty as heck. Pours _blue_ with a finger of _blue_ head, which both retains and laces. Aroma is blueberry. Taste is blueberry. Lack of booziness at 8% is fantastic and sweetness is nice. Girly or not, this stuff is fantastic.

3.7/5  rDev +72.1%

Wow, what is this? Juice or beer?

Its almost like a lambic but too syrupy..
Anyway, it poured a purple/ blue color with no head. Smelled of sweet concentrated fruit. Tasted the same, like a mouthful of blueberry pie filling. It was very sweet but not too much to handle. I could have gone for another and the 8% is a plus, considering you can't taste any of it.

3.68/5  rDev +71.2%

This is a great summer drink, not convinced if you can call it a beer though. This beer has a color like no other, the dark purple almost makes it look more like juice. There is so much blueberry taste to this beer, it tastes more like a mixed drink than a beer. On a hot Saturday fishing or golfing this is definitely the six pack i'm bringing. For about $7 a six pack it has great flavor and at 8% abv you might regret it in the morning.

3.68/5  rDev +71.2%

Let me start by admitting that I don't have a talented palate for beer, nor have I studied what critics say a "good" beer should be. That being said, I found this beer to be rather unoffensive compared to other high-ABV, cheap beers.

The alcohol content and relatively low price-point of this beer put it in the class of a Mike's Harder Lemonade, but the taste is not as sweet, nor is the alcohol as pronounced. The appearance and smell go along with what one would expect from a blueberry-brew. At first I was hesitant since this beer smells alarmingly like something that would come out of a can of Mike's, but don't be deceived. It's nowhere near as alarmingly nauseating or sweet as that foul malt concoction.

There's no lasting head, it pours with a deceivingly low amount of bubbles. This beer has two primary landmarks when it comes to taste, blueberry and carbonation. The sweetness and fruit-tones of blueberry mixed with a heavy carbonation and the familiar slightly-dusky aftertaste of a carbonated soda are the primary players here.

On the whole I would say this is a very drinkable and effective brew for someone who shies away from the higher IBU beers like IPAs. As long as you realize that this is a beer which tastes more like a fruit-soda than a craft-beer you won't be disappointed.

3.66/5  rDev +70.2%

I guess I am in the minority but I found Wild Blue refreshing & look forward to popping a few open when the Summer heat arrives.

For me it's not a beer so there is no point in my trying to act all beer snobby about Wild Blue. It is something more along the lines of a Zima, a blueberry Zima. It's purple, it's fizzy, it's fruity tasting, & it's carbonated. I will enjoy Wild Blue when the weather heats up a bit as in the Summer I am not always looking for a heavy beer when it 98° outside. This fruity concoction with an 8% kick will fit the bill for me & the price is fairly reasonable too.

3.65/5  rDev +69.8%

I am not really a fruit beer kinda guy but every now and again I like to try something a little bit different and was at a friends place playing cards and he had this to offer... Was impressed by the beer just out of a bottle since he didn't want to provide a glass and since my wife likes fruity beer I picked up a 6-pack... Poured into standard pint glass and tickled by the deep purple and the heavy berry aroma... had a light purple head that was very fizzy and didn't last a long while... I really enjoy the taste of this when I am looking for something "light" to drink and just need a break from the norm (IPA, Old Ale, Belgians/Trappists) and the blueberry really comes out in this... Mouthfeel was really nothing to call home about and I found that the drinkability was pretty good but really have to drink in moderation, not just because it is 8% but also I think too much will make you sick because it is pretty sweet...

3.63/5  rDev +68.8%

Poured out into a pint glass, beer was a deep red color with little head and lacing. Smell is strong of blueberries and malt. The taste is pleasently sweet, with very little hops. The beer has a relativly high alcohol content, which is not noticable due to the sweet blueberry taste. Almost reminds me of a wine in consistancy, but obviously carbinated. The overall drinkability would be higher if the beer was better balanced on the hops side. This beer is an excellent taster, but I don't think I could drink a whole lot of them in one night.

3.62/5  rDev +68.4%

The sweetness hides the 8% abv. If you're into Smirnoff ice or mikes hard it may be up your alley if you want something with a higher abv. Not my thing but it's good for what it is.

3.62/5  rDev +68.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a wine/grape color, and had a great looking pink cap of foam about 1/2 - 3/4 thick. Sadley it dissapeared rapidly.

S: Blueberry galore with little or no hop aroma.

T: More like a malt beverage than beer.Very berry instantly wondering how many pounds of blueberries surly not my standard 4lbs per 5 gallon I use for a fruit beer, and find out used juice for flavor. But still great berry flavor.

M: Was good on the the tongue and ABV at 8 % was not very overpowering as in some high gravity beers.

D: Was not inclined to have another but was very impressed with knowledge of Anheuser-Busch, Inc. They can make a beer with taste even if its a non conventional one.

3.61/5  rDev +67.9%

EDIT: Drink at your own risk during sporting events. I am confident this is the reason my team lost Saturday. Buyer BEWARE!!!1!11!!

Ive read the reviews, good and bad. Im going to give this Blueberry Lager, Fruit/Veg beer a fair shake.

Pours like a carbonated grape soda, with more remarkable lacing for a lager. Not much head, and it doesnt stay. I would have liked more head.

Smells like a Blueberry Boone's or other malt beverage. I dont get much of any lager, though I might catch grain, though also maybe rice :(. Gonna give it a 3, only because the lager side brings down the Fruit side.

Wow, impressive. Blueberry, light malt, non fructose finish, with what might be a hint of hops. Overall much better than the A and S. I was worried the blueberry sweetness was going to overpower the taste.

Sits very well, blueberry's are well balanced against lager and carbonation. Dissapation in the mouth is perfect.

Not sure I would drink a lot of these, though if blueberry is your thing, this is for you!

3.61/5  rDev +67.9%

Appearance- So cool and unique, kind of a blue purple color with a tiny purple head of foam. Some people may hate but It's something new and fun. I think it looks cool personally. I mean it does fit for a BLUEberry beer.

Smell- Grape soda, especially when first poured.Nosing the glass yeilds a aroma of tart blueberry with some alcohol notes.

Taste- Wow this tastes like Whole Grain blueberry pancakes with syrup. I'm a fan. It's defiantly a sweet beer and the flavor sticks with you. It's a syrupy sweetness yeah, but thats not bad if it fits the taste profile.

Mouthfeel- This is wear it kinda loses me, the sweetness lends it a syrupy consistancy. Not great but not bad. This is probably wear the beer loses alot of people.

Drinkability- It's be pretty easy to drink one or two in an afternoon, after that though I'd probably switch to a cleaner crisper beer. But I'd come back for more the next day.

Overall- Lose the tude and try Wild Blue. Most people hate is solely because of the company that put it out, or they just don't like a sweet beer. Honestly I am thrilled to see a fruit beer that really tastes like sweet fruit.

This is a neat beer, it's a sweet beer. Works great for hop and bitter beer haters. If you Like SA Cherry Wheat you won't be sorry you tried this.

3.6/5  rDev +67.4%

Well many seem not to like this..But hey I do !
Maybe due to I don't have the taste buds for IPA's [I'm a dubbel man myself.]
That when I taste something like this, I enjoyed it alot. Makes nice desert beer.
Not something to drink every nite

And a good beer for those who are not fans of beer taste or just starting out.

I have to say I am not a large fan of them misleading that it is not a AB-inbev beer

3.56/5  rDev +65.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is not a 2.18 beer. Even if you do not like sweet beers, it cannot be that bad. The purple color is interesting and the fact that this is an 8 abv is impressive in and of itself. Flavor is good. If I can point to a flaw it might be the lack of head and carbonation.

3.56/5  rDev +65.6%

I had to pick this up after seeing all the terrible ratings on it. And after, trying it, i like this beer, but i wouldnt seek it out to drink it again.

From the moment of popping off the cap it gives off a very pungent and sweet berry aroma. Not unpleasant but somewhat "artificial" with a very Joose-like malt liquor tainted smell in the background.

Pours a clear deep red with pink off-white head. Some lacing actually clings to the glass for throughout the session but most quickly recedes immidiately.

Taste is not bad, all berry sweetness, but no depth to balance it out. Bitter bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very thin and overly carbonated.

Drinkability is pretty good, the body seems very light for the alc. content.

I honestly dont even know if this is really a "beer" or more of a flavored malt beverage as i feel there really isnt much of an emphasis on hops and malt interplay.

3.54/5  rDev +64.7%

New to this site and decided to give it a try. I found it in my local Publix Grocery Store. The label caught my eye so I said what the heck.

Poured the brown bottled liquid into a pint glass. Immediately caught an aroma of sweet candy blueberry. It was a purple cranberry color with a single finger creamy head that dissipated quickly. My initial taste was syrupy blueberry bubble gum flavoring, but interesting. As I continued to drink I noticed a nice lacing around the glass and light reddish purple color. I also noticed that the aroma began to take on a chemically type smell. The flavoring was nice with a hint of alcohol in the finish. I did enjoy the entire experience but would only drink one or two at a time. I liked the ABV of 8%. I also liked the light sweet drinkability it provided. It would be a nice beer with a light fruity salad with chicken. Overall, I enjoyed it and will try it again.

3.51/5  rDev +63.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

my friend bought this ,
this was $9 something for 6 pack bottles

A is a thick bubbly almost syrup esk like pouring a glass of blueberry syrup
on a scale of carbonated i would say 3/5 a decent head not huge but about 2 inch .

S - smells like fruit duh blueberries , sweet like syrup also maybe a little malty

t- this is the surprise , being how it is 8% i was expecting for a super sweet harsh swill. but to my surprise it was like drinking juice , even it smells and looks like syrup , and face it blueberry anything is very very sweet usually . It is something i would maybe drink 2 of but id have to stop at that too sweet for continued drinking IMO.

m-i said like juice but really like soda , obviously its has all the characteristics of a soda with alcohol
but even though its sweet and fruity , its not hard to chug down , my friend said it's harder to drink faster or whatever , taking that with a grain of salt because he never drinks his beer fast , i poured it in the mason glass and went down like orange juice ...

Overall its a decent beer for what it is , my main complaint is the price ,this beer is for people that cant handle malt liquor and want a higher buzz or just like fruity beers ,for example hard cider, for this people that like fruity beers that aren't subtle . and don't even taste like beer. If you want a beer that the fruit is subtle fruit try Pyramid apricot ale . .

so the cons costs too much m and a little too sweet for my preference
the pros -8% abv and hides it well

but if you can handle Old English or steel reserve save your money
almost the same $ on 6 pack on wild blue is a 12 pack of cans of steel reserve and thats 8.1 %
sure its not sugar coated but gets the job done for about $9 that would be $7 a 6 pack and it's probably cheaper in your area

that being said Anheuser-bush did a great job had no idea they were behind this beer!

3.5/5  rDev +62.8%

Poured from a 12OZ bottle into a red solo cup (classy)
Aroma- This is a blueberry brew, very strong aroma.
Appearance- uhhmm, purple, very purple with no head
Taste- I was pretty floored by the flavor, very enjoyable. Has a pretty high alcohol content that is hidden in the berry flavor.
Palate- A medium bodied brew with heavy carbonation and a real crisp feel.
Overall- I enjoyed this beer and I had several sitting by the pool. I recommend this for a summer outing.

3.48/5  rDev +61.9%

A-dark with a red tint in the light, with a pink head that faded fast, but laced the glass
S-smelled a very sweet blueberry with a slight alcohol smell
T-blueberry with a sweet blueberry aftertaste with some warming in the finish
M-syrupy like feel
O-if you are a blueberry fan then this would be great

3.48/5  rDev +61.9%

If you want something sweet that tastes like a beer then look no further, OK, its no Sam Smith Chocolate stout as far as a sweet beer goes but ladies enjoy the taste and its 8% so give her two and let the party rock!

3.47/5  rDev +61.4%

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a dark purple-red. Fairly hazy. Basically no head.

Smell - 4.5/5
As soon as I opened the bottle, I could smell STRONG blueberry smells. I didn't even have to put my nose near the glass. When I do take a closer smell, I smell blueberry, bubblegum, cherry. Perhaps a tiny bit of alcohol smell. While the smell is very strong, it's a nice smell

Taste - 3/5
Tastes very similar to a Founder's Rubaeus, except perhaps more blueberry tasting than raspberry tasting. For a fruit beer, it's pretty good. I think I'd still prefer a Founder's Rubaeus over this any day, but I could see this being a nice dessert beer, complementing a blueberry pie or something. I think the fruit flavor is a little too strong. It barely still tastes like beer (though if you try hard to sense it, there is still a little bit of beer taste to the brew). The thing I like about the Rubaeus is that it still tastes like beer. This, not so much

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Right when I took my first sip of this beer, I noticed the mouthfeel. The beer is crisp and the carbonation is light yet still has a nice bite. The beer is probably light to medium body.

Overall - 3/5
I got this beer as part of a build-your-own 6-pack, because it looked interesting. Overall, I won't say I was disappointed, as I didn't really know what to expect to begin with. But it's an OK take on a fruit beer. Probably wouldn't get again though. The fruit flavor is a little too strong, and it doesn't really taste like beer.

3.45/5  rDev +60.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

I knew this beer would get horrible reviews on the account that it's made by Anheuser-Busch. You beer snobs are so predictable. However, I love blueberries and this is very intensely flavored with them. This is what you'd get if you combined 3/4 beer with 1/4 blueberry schnapps. It hardly beer, but it is different and satisfies my blueberry craving quite nicely. I doubt I could stomach more than 2 or 3 of these at a time. I'm not even done with the first one and my brain is already feeling slightly compromised.

3.43/5  rDev +59.5%

A: Ruby red and purple body. Very pink, almost dark pink, head. Holds well and leaves some nice lace.
S: The nose is delicately fruity. Like a small bowl of fresh crushed berries, more raspberry than blueberry.
T: The flavor is all juice, bright and tart. Like "Juicy-Juice"; and again, more raspberry than blueberry. No signs of malt or hops except for hints in the lingering, mostly berry-ish finish. Steady underlying bitterness. Some alcohol becomes apparent halfway through. One-sided except for the underlying alcohol.
M: Medium bodied. Dextrinous edge. Delicately bristling carbonation.
D: Well, I'm not even sure you can call this beer. Not really. It's like a fruity malternative on steroids... the beer equivalent of Boone's Farm. Drinkable? Well, yes, but why not just add some grain alcohol to fruit juice?

3.42/5  rDev +59.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Appearance - blue/purple in color. Not much retention. Smell - it does smell like faint blueberries. So at there's that. Taste - I expected it to be a more subdued version of the smell, but it tastes more like blueberries than it smells. I'll agree with a previous reviewer. It's like a soda. If that's your thing then this isn't a bad option necessarily. Overall - not a bad "beer". Not something I can have a lot of due to how sweet it is, but it isn't horrid.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch