Wild Blue | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Wild Blue is a blueberry lager that fuses the juice of nature’s perfect fruit – blueberries – with premium American and German hops, two row and six-row barley malt and cereal grains. Wild Blue has a full taste with a pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor, and contains 8% ABV.

Added by Todd on 09-27-2005

Ratings: 1,626 |  Reviews: 624

4.5/5  rDev +107.4%

I don't understand the hate on this beer . It's an 8% blueberry beer .
It is very sweet and that's why I didn't rate it a 5. I usually don't like fruity beer but this
I love . I also heard that the UFO raspberry is another good one and that's
Going to be my next beer . If you want any blueberry beer ,
This is what you're gonna want !

4.5/5  rDev +107.4%

I think people on here are being absolutely unfair to this beer. Yes, I can see why you might say this is not a real beer. However, why do Lindeman's Framboise and Kriek get better reviews then? Because they weren't brewed under Anheuser Busch? Wild Blue has the same fruity color, same sweetness, same lack of similarity with "real beers" as the Lindeman's lambics. The only difference is that Wild Blue has a significantly higher alcohol content than Lindeman's which is masked very well.
Another thing people bring up that's unfair to Wild Blue in these reviews is how they label it as "completely artificial" when that's actually not true at all. Wild Blue is made with real, natural blueberries. I realize that this beer is extremely sweet which is why it does not get 5 stars from me. I can only drink one Wild Blue in a night. I do appreciate coming across something that's completely different though. Bottom line is that this beer should not be rated lower than Keystone Light.

By the way, at first I thought Wild Blue was brewed by Flying Dog because of the artwork and font on the bottle and pack.

4.49/5  rDev +106.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

4.48/5  rDev +106.5%

4.48/5  rDev +106.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +105.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.44/5  rDev +104.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man! I thought I was a beer snob until I read some of these Wild Blue reviews! I like the darker porters and stouts, generally with a nutty w/ a little chocolate and/or coffee. I like it stout and I like it ice cold. It pains me to drink a lite beer; who was the a$$h0le that came up with that crap... musta been someone trying to get their waist line back down to last year's jeans... you know... like me...

Don't know how I ran across Wild Blue but after the first one, I was hooked! Yeah, probably a little too strong fruity but, I immediately had a recollection of drinking a Grape Nehi when I was a kid. But, 2 or 3 of these things and you got a buzz going - groovy.

But really, beer critiques are so subjective. For the snobs here who blast this beer as crap, I say try it... like after you just finished mowing a couple of acres or, just to kick start the evening. Cold, refreshing, sweet and fruity. It taste more like beer to me that the wine coolers some reviewers have compared it to. Has a beer finish that wine coolers don't. AND, this couldn't be my main beer but, it definitely has a place in my fridge for those certain times I need a kick in the ass.

For some of the beer snobs, your beer probably tastes like crap to a lot of beer drinkers too. To each taste bud, his own!! Cheers.

4.44/5  rDev +104.6%

You guys are a bunch of girls. A beer drinker will review what he senses, not "I gotta tow the line cause other people hate it" re-hash. Give me a break. Review the beer for what it is, not what you read. Beer snobs abound. Don't fall victim!

I love hoppy beers! My favorite beer is Bells "Two Hearted Ale" a nice American IPA (which is highly rated BTW). I also like a nice flavored beer every now and then and Wild Blue fits the pint.

My review:

WILD BLUE? Do I EXPECT a BLUE beer? Why yes I do. Do I expect it to taste like blueberries? Why not, it's on the label!

Appearance (A) Poured into a chilled pint - Nice purple color- just like blueberries. Slight creamy purplish foam head. Cool!

Smell - Surprise.... Blueberry. Hops? ... Uh, no. Malt? ... I don't think so. Did you say blueberry? Why yes, it smells an awful bit like blueberry! And yes it has a nice sweet BLUEBERRY smell.

Taste - Surprise again .... Blueberry, oh yes, blueberry. WOW! I like it. Then again. I love the taste of blueberries. This beer is just too easy to drink and at 8% it's easy to feel! Oh yes.

Mouthfeel - About average. Not too thick and not too thin. As Papa Bear might put it "Just Right" for a fruit beer.

Drinkability - OMG swill away. This lager is way to good to contain alcohol. It's almost like juice or soda. If you close your eyes and drink it, 3 bottles will be gone in an instant.

Did you drink enough Wild Blue to give it a review? Well then, review it

My score 4.0!

4.42/5  rDev +103.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The low ratings don’t surprise me as this is a maligned style of beer on this site, but this is a very tasty drink. Has a dark purple color with a pinkish head, reminiscent of a blueberry. Smell and taste is sweet blueberry fruit. No hint of alcohol. Smooth and deceptively strong. Delicious.

4.37/5  rDev +101.4%

4.37/5  rDev +101.4%

Wow, I wish I could write a review of this beer that would adjust it's status in the rankings! I think this is one of the best flavored beers I've ever had and it doesn't deserve this low position! Perhaps poured into a glass the color of this beer seems artificial. I had it from the bottle and never noticed that it was magenta. But the flavor was what struck me. I've had other fruity beers--even microbrews...raspberry, pumpkin, apricot ales, and lambic--but this lager maintains a true beer hoppy character, with the punch of real blueberry tang. I loved it. I didn't know the company is now Anheuser-Busch, not "Bluedawg Breweries". Still, I like the cute designer label. I loved the flavor, and found this highly quaffable, and definitely misrepresented here! Give it a chance; it's great!

appearance: okay, this does not look like a true beer. the huge foamy head is fun though, and so is the blueberry color! lambics look similar.

the smell: is mostly blueberry, which I love.
although there is a trace of true hops as well.

the taste: for me is what sells this beer. the dry hops are discernable, but trace. Yet this is definitely a beer, and not a lambic. And for me, blueberry is a drier flavor than raspberry or apricot. This is a delicious drink on it's own. Or something you'd take to a summer concert or a picnic. No residual aftertaste, and goes well with sandwhiches and light snacks.

the mouthfeel is exceptional in that it's carbonation is very tight, and clear. there is little beer hops aftertaste.

This is a highly drinkable beverage in my eyes. It does go down very quickly. I found the high alcohol volume a little surreptious and is something to be wary of...The flavor is easily the best selling point, but the 8.0% abv in this beverage does pack a kick.

4.36/5  rDev +100.9%

4.35/5  rDev +100.5%

If you have tried Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss and didn't like it, don't try Wild Blue. Otherwise, you definitely want to try this beer.
I was shocked at the bad reviews this beer received. It has great malt and hops flavors with a really pure blueberry flavor. I thought that this was a very well made beer.

4.33/5  rDev +99.5%

One of the best beers I have had.

4.33/5  rDev +99.5%

Americans have no big experience about strong fruity beers . As a Belgian citizen I find this beer to be on par of a good strong fruit tasting beer. Maybe the head is not as good as it could be. But for the price it is a killer great tasting style not close to lambic but very nice to have and very satisfactory taste . Duvel is closest to the alcohol content. And for summer I find this a Hit. Anheuser has some good advisors from Belgium . Do not trash this beer as it is a keeper in this american market .. It is not really a lager .but more a strong ale. the American tastbuds ar e too much about Ipa an hops. there is much more out of there. Balance strength and deepness in the alcohol content.

4.32/5  rDev +99.1%

12 oz. bottle which says nothing about being an A-B product, which I always resent - not that it's A-B, that they mask it with BS shell breweries. Poured into my Yuengling pils glass, Wild Blue is a chill-hazed purple, like the blueberry juice it's made with, forming a small, quickly fleeting violet head that leaves very light lace. I like the color.

Smell is sweet and berries. This reminds me a lot of St Ides fruit malt liquors, Special Brews I think they were called, although with more natural blueberry, which I like.

Taste is the same, lots of blueberry, which is what I expected when I bought it. Not quite as cloying as malt liquor though, sweet and berry for sure, with some grain in the background, and the ABV is well hidden. For what it is, a strong fruit beer, it's well done, quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is slightly crisp, and much lighter bodied then I expected from the look and smell.

Drinkability was surprisingly high, this is not to heavy, the booze is well hidden, and the blueberry flavor is strong and pure. The label says it's made with all natural ingredients, if that means just grain, sugar and berries, then I'm impressed. I recognize it's not for everyone, and really doesn't even taste like beer. But it's pretty clear from the label what your buying (aside from who makes it), and it far surpassed my expectations in that regard. I was surprised how I kept having to bump up the scores. Still, at the end of the day, this isn't my style, and I'll probably never bother having it again. Quite the panty dropper for the sorostitues I'm sure!

4.28/5  rDev +97.2%

poured from bottle into weizen glass

a- pours with fairly thin body, a clear dark purple/pink with hints of ruby. which i think is a beautiful color. a good 2-3 finger soda pop-like head, that recedes to a thin covering that hangs around the whole time leaving decent lacing. this color is very different and very interesting, people will wonder what the hell you are drinking.

s- um.... blue berry. a very natural, fresh smelling blueberry, and possibly other berries. also i think i am getting red grape notes in the nose also. the alcochol is kinda strong but the overall sweetness of the beer masks the smell fairly well.

t- strong sweet blueberry syrup like taste from begining to finish. there is also notes in the back of the palate that i am interpreting as dark fruits. you can pick up the strong alcochol if you think about it, but again, it is masked very well by the overall sweetness. grape soda. this taste reminds me of grandmas fresh blueberry pancakes. il be honest i am not picking up much other than the berries and fruit. not very complex. just fruity, but enjoyable.

m- medium body. medium/ light carbonation. feels like a very sweet wine on the tongue, like a lambrusco. or slightly flat grape soda.

d- average price, slightly better than average taste and excellent drinkability. my girlfriend is not a huge beer drinker and she also enjoyed this one. its a "fruit/ vegitable beer" so it is pretty typically a girlie drink. i dont know how often i would go out of my way for this beer but i will definately be buying it for her again.

Wild Blue from Anheuser-Busch