Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Michelob Golden Draft Light | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Added by kbub6f on 01-24-2002

Pours light straw color with a quickly dissappearing white foam cap. Fizzy and thin - not much flavor or aroma - a little bit of apple and some light grains. My inlaws drink this - I had trouble finishing half a can.

This is a great refreshing, light, crisp beer. As far as Macro goes, this is one of the best and is great for filling a cooler for a summer day.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.98/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

I'll start this review off by saying that this is the quintessential light beer. Why? It has flavor, is unoffensive, and is even a bit creamy. I'll grab a Michelob Golden Light almost any time I feel like a beer, but not a BEER beer, you know? Great with tuna sandwiches, pizza, hamburgers, casseroles, spaghetti... anything. Next to water I drink Michelob Golden Light the most, especially with meals. And after a lawn mowing session or snow scooping session? Only beer that beats that is Rolling Rock, my friends.

But alas, I must dissect one of my favorite beers...

Appearance (2.5) - Foamy white two finger head that recedes to 1 finger within a minute and then slowly eats away to a ring. The body is very clear, pale straw to almost water.

Smell (2.5) - Musty grains, sweet corn, metallic vegetable, small hint of overly ripe bananas and sliced pineapple at the end.

Taste (3) - A rush of corn and mild barley notes hits first, with some grassy notes and a little bit of malted banana at the end. There is a sour funk to it that the original Light does not have, however it's easy to drink.

Mouthfeel (3.75) - Super carbonated, a touch of smooth, and ends faintly semi-dry. Just right for its style.

Overall - Again, on average I probably drink more Michelob Golden Light than any other beer from any other brewer. I buy this in the cases. It's just so easy, grab it and don't think, it's just great with anything...and flavorful, everything is just right. It is, in my opinion, the ideal light beer.

2.98/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear, yellow/golden color. 1/3 inch head of white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, adjunct, pale malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, and adjunct. Overall, a pretty average light lager.

2.98/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I never drink light beer and almost never drink macros, but I was on a farmhouse porch, summer was coming to an end, I was staring out at the sun setting over rows and rows of corn, and the "crafty" options were all pretty boring so I figured, what the hell. For what it is, it wasn't bad at all...easy, clean, and some good light two-row maltiness.

2.93/5  rDev +23.1%

Its amazing how you will almost never find this beer anywhere out side Minnesota and the surrounding states. Pours a clear yellow color with almost no head and some slight lacing. Smells watered down and grassy. Taste? Tastes grainy, watered down, and a little malty. I drink this alot at campus partys and whatnot. I can tolerate it when I have to $5 for a cup. But I would never go out and buy it on my own.

2.92/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pretty solid for a light macro.

2.9/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.87/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from the bottle, beer is a clear, light golden color with a thin white effervescent head. Smell is pretty typical of a macro light lager, just a slight sweetness of grainy malt. Taste is also of corn malt and adjuncts. As a light beer, it has the mouthfeel of water as I had expected. This is a drinkable light beer, nothing special... so it fits the profile. I would however drink this beer over bud light if I had the choice.

2.86/5  rDev +20.2%

A can o' beer, found behind the couch.

A - Clear pale yellow color. Not as colorless as bud. Head is white and sits at a thick film. Hey what do we have here? Lacing all up and down the side of the glass! Some kind of anomaly in the glass?

S - Faint corn, wheaty smell, slightly bitter. Not as bad as bud.

T - Corny taste, slightly sweet. Slight metallic taste.

M - Thin consistency with elevated carbonation.

D - Better than bud, I'd say it's on par with PBR.

2.84/5  rDev +19.3%