Michelob Golden Draft

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Michelob Golden DraftMichelob Golden Draft
Notes: Michelob Golden Draft is a premium, cold-filtered lager beer that is brewed using two-row barley malt, premium American hops and corn to achieve its smooth, full taste.
View: Beers
Reviews: 41 | Ratings: 147 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.04/5  rDev +19.2%

I can't find this one around central WI, Golden Light is everywhere. I pick ups 12pk every time I visit family in MN. It is a nice change in my regular adjunct lager rotation. Nothing special, just a good beer.

3.05/5  rDev +19.6%

Got to try this when working in Minnesota in 2002.Not a bad beer,and the locals consumed it like water.Seems AB would sell this outside the Midwest,as not available in the Southwest.Overall,fairly decent offering

I believe this is the smoothest tasting brew so far out of all Michelob products. It leaves no bitter after taste. Very smooth body and flavor. Good job!

4.15/5  rDev +62.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed several cans of Michelob Golden Draft at a recent trivia night fundraiser for my kid's school. It was much better than the other beers offered, including PBR and Budweiser. I just wish I could find it in stores as all I can seem to find is Golden Light.

3.81/5  rDev +49.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

By some insane Indiana state law, it was (is?) illegal to buy alcohol except in bars and restaurants on Sunday. I remember that this one came out the first Sunday that I was in grad school at Purdue. Since I couldn't take a six-pack back to the dorm with me, I sat in the local bar, not too far off campus, drank a few pitchers of this, then went to the free showing of "Alladin" on campus, taking many pee breaks. Oh, those youthful magic moments.

2.92/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

On tap

A - clear straw in color. thin white head that dissipates very quickly. moderate carbonation. 3.25/5

S - grassy hops. light cereal and bready malt. very subdued. 2.5/5

T - grassy hops. mor hop flavor than anything. some light cereal malt. 3/5

M - ultra light. carbonation tickle. 3.25/5

O - good flavor, simple and straightforward. very easy drinking beer, especially on a hot St. Louis afternoon prior to game time. 3/5

2.75/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a straw color with a slight head and lacing
Aroma has slight malt hints
The taste follows the nose with a slight nalt flavor
A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
A decent beer

There is nothing grossly offensive about this beer there just is not much there - not much aroma, not much hop, pours brilliantly clear, balanced and crisp, thin body, fizzy.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not as bad as other people claim.

Taste: Grainy with a mild hop finish

Smell: Summer-like smell

Feel: Watery, but not too watery.

Look: Typical straw colored pale lager.

2.65/5  rDev +3.9%

Wow. It took awhile to find this one. I called Anheuser-Busch and asked where I could find it. Apparently it's only sold in 3 or 4 states, and Missouri (where it's brewed) ain't one of 'em. I didn't even know they made a regular Golden Draft because all I saw was the Light version. So here we are, I tracked you down and now I'm going to give you the reviewer's treatment!

Serving style : 12 oz ribbed glass bottle, complete with blue (!!!) label. Poured for appearance.

Appearance (2.5) : Bubble bath sudsy, foamy white three fingered head that actually leaves a lacing on the glass. Recedes to a one finger head within 1 minute. Color is transparent pale straw/hay yellow that, with a little effort, anyone could solve flash cards through (wanna try it?). Extra kudos for leaving a lacing behind.

Smell (2.25): River water, barley, musty corn, malty grape tomato, a little paint or chemical. Very adjunct-y. I'm not digging this so much. The bottle adds an offensive smell not unlike a mens' locker room.

Taste (2.5) : It's got the Golden Draft taste but a bit more adjunct-y, and some sweet rotten corn permeates the flavor. Overall it is bland. I wish I had a "MG Light" to compare it with side by side but I'd bet you I would prefer that product more. Now as it slides down the throat it's got this malted rotten barley grain flavor to it that sticks around. It has a slight tasteless vanilla background. The finish is wet and grainy, not tasting like much at all. The Miller Lite I had earlier has more of a taste profile. A let down.

Mouthfeel (2) : Carbonated, wet, papery. Not smooth, not creamy, not anything. Pretty disappointed.

Overall (2.65) : I didn't think that this product would be as bad as it is. You expect a full flavored beer to give you more flavor, not less character. I like Michelob Golden Light better - and oddly enough I think it has more character and even more flavor. From now on it's Light for me. It's my favorite light beer.

At least I finished the quest of finding this beer and having the chance to review it. If you must journey to find it, take my word and don't keep your hopes too high, grasshopper.

This is a great refreshing, light, crisp beer. As far as Macro goes, this is one of the best and is great for filling a cooler for a summer day.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

2.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a light to medium yellow-gold in the glass. High clarity with about a 2 finger head that doesn't stick around very long at all. Little lacing.

S- Very light and grassy scent is primary and dominant. No hops detectable in the smell, and maybe a hint of skunky, light-struck scents. The scent does not linger and is very light.

T- Pretty much your standard AAL flavor right here. Very light malts up front, even though I hesitate to call them malts. Then there is a progression towards the lighter, grassy grain notes before moving quickly to a crisp finish that has very minimal hop flavors.

M- Very light and highly carbonated, this is the weight and feel of either a summer or college party pounder. Won't fill you up. Actually a little smoother than most AAL's, and I suspect that is the reason for the "draft" branding.

Overall, just a standard AAL. Not much to write home about here. What can I say? Drink these fast, get drunk, forget what you did the next day.

3.74/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

One of my favorite cheap lagers... ever.

Look is classic beer commercial yellow, small foamy head with some lacing. Smell is light slightly bitter with grain and cornmeal being the most prominent. Taste is crisp, smooth, refreshing (slightly) malty grain, just a hint of corn, with some skunky hops in the background.

Good "beer" beer. And cheap, too! Plus this stuff, unlike most other cheap lagers, doesn't give me the "cheap beer headaches".

2.13/5  rDev -16.5%

Reviewed from notes:

Pours light clear yellow with a small white head which fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace. Has a grainy aroma and smells like it will be somewhat sweet.

I can taste sweet grain more than anything else. Not much flavor, or hop presence. I can't say that it tastes or smells like corn. Maybe rice?

Light bodied with plenty of carbonation and a bit of a sweet aftertaste. Fairly smooth. Not much to get excited about. Bland and generic.

2.72/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served this American Adjunct Lager on tap, in a pint glass. Poured a golden yellow color, produced a thin white head, poor retention and poor amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma of this lager is plain, sweet and bready- no trace of hops. Light in body, this lager has a decent mouthfeel, clean simple beer. There is a slight flavor of sweet malted grain but not much beyond that. Not much to think about here, it is what it is, another macro brewed Adjunct Lager with little flavor and little to set it apart from the dozens of others. Prost!

2.94/5  rDev +15.3%

Minnesotans really love this beer, and I'm obliged to agree.

A: True to the name, very golden. No head but it does have some retention. Healthy bit of carbonation.

S: Hint of hops, malts and cereal grains.

T: Relatively full-bodied in the realm of adjuncts; malty but with an aftertaste that was slightly bitter, at least, too bitter for my taste.

M: Smooth, almost silky, with a bitter end. Very carbonated.

Overall: Not bad. Good party beer, very satisfactory flavor for an adjunct but the bitter aftertaste was a little much. I can see why this is a popular one in the midwest.

3.38/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A slightly above average macro beer all around. It has a very light color and I cannot comment on the foam content or smell as I drank from the bottle. The taste however wasn's out of this world, but was refreshing and not too bad. I would have no problem drinking this if I found it at family gatherings and what not.

3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

I finally got to try this beer courtesy of a trade with arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!

12oz can served in a Michelob pilsner glass.

L - clear yellow color with a white head that totally vanished in a minute or less.

S - grainy malt

T - the taste is grainy, mostly corn but it does have a slight bitterness to it before finishing grainy sweet.

F - light bodied with a crisp, refreshing feel.

D - a real easy drinking beer for when you just want 'a beer'.

3.97/5  rDev +55.7%

This beer is not available in Louisiana, so I had never tried it until 2010 on a trip in Minnesota. I drank this poured from a 12 oz. can. It has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is very high. The aroma is sharp, with a heavy grain/grass aspect. The taste is good, and a good amount of corn(?) can be detected. I noticed a nice hop appeal here, but nothing heavy, of course. Mouth-feel was light and watery, and Michelob Golden Draft finished crisp and refreshing. All in all, I really liked it and wish it was more widely available. NOTE: I'd avoid drinking this in the clear glass bottle as that could allow for spoilage. The can or draft is a safer bet.

RJT

3.45/5  rDev +35.3%

Straw golden with a tight fleeting white foam leaving nothing to indicate it was ever there.
Grain husk and cornmeal aroma with a dash of powdered sugar sweetness.
A brief graininess signals its entrance in the mouth. Here, it switches quickly to cornbread, with that same powdered sugar dusting. Fairly vapid through the middle with some residual sweetness. Hopping is nearly non-existent, but a dry grassiness adds phantom traces of late bitterness.
Not as fizzy or insubstancial as many American Macro lagers. The CO2 is geared down a notch, giving the body a tad bid more heft than most.
All in all, this is a solid version that a touch beefier and sweeter than the majority of its peers.

2.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a golden body with small white head with usual retention and some spots of lacing.

S: Typical adjunct, corn, cereal grain, slight hops and malt

T: Just the same as the taste. About average for the style, but I like this just a little bit better.

Overall: Good standard carbonation and highly drinkable seeing as how it is an adjunct.

1.8/5  rDev -29.4%

I think this deserves a healthy 2 acorss the board. It is a clear yellowish liquid and has a fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The nose is light and grainy. As is the taste. No real hop presence. Thin body goes down fine for the style. Nothing special here, but nothing too bad either.

2.17/5  rDev -14.9%

I had a couple bottles of this stuff with my breakfast buffet at the Route 66 motel after running a 5k with a bunch of co-workers...and yes, they were drinking at breakfast too.

A - Prototypical macro lager gold with a prototypical macro lager flimsy sudsy head. Doesn't look any worse or better than any other (IB)MC crap.

S - Lagery generic "beer" smell. I don't know what that means since beer can smell like anything from tart fruit to pumpkins to dark chocolate, but this smells like what any red-blooded 'Merican would tell you beer smells like.

T - Not bad in any way, but not good in any other way. Corn, cereal grain, and clean rice.

M - High carbonation is typical for the style, and the clean crisp finish is what we Americans want in a beer right? No lingering taste = good. IMO, no aftertaste or finish = bad.

D - If I'm at a joint like the Route 66 Motel where the beer "selection" consists of MGD, Miller Light, Bud, Bud Light, Coors, and Coors Light (what DIVERSITY!) I'll pick this since it at least has more calories and hopefully that equates to more flavor than the other swill-beers.

2.88/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a stemmed pilsner glass like you might see in the old-school PBR commercials.

Looks golden-yellow as opposed to the lighter straw-yellow of many macros. Smell and taste are just a simple, sweet bready flavor that's not entirely unpleasant. Most of the off-flavors and harsh mouthfeels of most bad macros is masked or just non-existent, so while this beer doesn't qualify as tasty, it's not bad either. In fact, I suppose for the style, it's pretty decent and I'd liken it to a lighter Yuengling Lager.

2.38/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours out of the 12 oz. can a clear golden colour. thin head and lace, rather fizzy and not very sustaining. adjunct sweetness in the nose, a bit more than than you normally get from A-B. taste is light on the barley malt, more adjunct sweetness and very little hopping, if at all. light bodied, pretty smooth mouthfeel with some crispness in the end. albeit drinkable and good enough to quench the thirst after work or play, i much prefer budweiser or regular michelob to this marketing gimmick of a beer.

Michelob Golden Draft from Anheuser-Busch