Michelob Golden Draft | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Michelob Golden Draft is a premium, cold-filtered lager beer that is brewed using two-row barley malt, premium American hops and corn to achieve its smooth, full taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-22-2002

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%

2.24/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Despite the fact that this beer was first brewed in 1991, I never knew it existed until a few minutes ago. When I plucked it off the singles shelf at John's Grocery last month, I thought I was buying Miller Genuine Draft, the original MGD, released in 1986. In any case, this lesser known A-B product is one half of Macro Smackdown IX, my periodic 'mano a mano' between macros both foreign and domestic. Schlitz is its venerable competitor.

Michelob Golden Draft is the more golden of the two and is more clear (due to 'cold filtering' no doubt). I'm happy to see fine-bubbled carbonation rather than large, soda-like bubbles, although it isn't helping the head in the least. The cap is dirty gray, mealy, featureless and is fading away quickly as if embarrassed to be seen. I would be too if I looked like it does.

The noses are definitely different. This one is sweeter and cornier with a whiff of muskiness (hops?). It isn't pathetically weak, nor does it jump out of the glass. Given what it smells like, I'd say the intensity is about right.

There isn't much flavor to be had. The more I drink, the more I realize that that's a good thing. The beer isn't as sweet as it smells and I'm now questioning whether corn is the adjunct being utilized or whether (A-B's signature adjunct) rice is. There's little, if any, hoppiness. Bottom line: bland, making a quick turn toward nasty as it warms.

The mouthfeels are pretty close to identical. Both are light without being aqueous and are well-carbonated without being fizzy. That puts them ahead of the game compared to most members of this style.

When I woke up this morning, I didn't know that Michelob Golden Draft existed. I could have gone another few decades without that knowledge. It isn't horrible beer, and is a damn sight better than most A-B beer, but it's the clear loser of Macro Smackdown IX. When will A-B brew something that appeals to me? I'm not holding my breath.

4.59/5  rDev +66.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

1.71/5  rDev -38%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

2.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into a stemmed pilsner glass like you might see in the old-school PBR commercials.

Looks golden-yellow as opposed to the lighter straw-yellow of many macros. Smell and taste are just a simple, sweet bready flavor that's not entirely unpleasant. Most of the off-flavors and harsh mouthfeels of most bad macros is masked or just non-existent, so while this beer doesn't qualify as tasty, it's not bad either. In fact, I suppose for the style, it's pretty decent and I'd liken it to a lighter Yuengling Lager.

There is nothing grossly offensive about this beer there just is not much there - not much aroma, not much hop, pours brilliantly clear, balanced and crisp, thin body, fizzy.

2.29/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -18.5%

3.75/5  rDev +35.9%

3.42/5  rDev +23.9%

Pale clear yellow. Slight off white head. Lace is negligible. Aroma is soft maltiness and barley. Pretty decent. On the palate, the malts are clean, sweet and grainy and the overall taste is balanced. The mouthfeel is not as fizzy as some macros, which is good. And the body is pushing above medium slightly. Good macro.

3.35/5  rDev +21.4%

It might just be me, but I don't think this is bad at all. it tastes on the sweeter side to me when compared to the other american lagers..almost a little syrupy feel to it. If someone else was buying I'd drink these...if you like sweeter style beers this might be the Macro of choice for you

3.37/5  rDev +22.1%

Pretty darn good Macro, easily the best AB beer around.

Dark gold with a nice head that doesn't stick around very long. Rich smell of deep malt. Nice but not complex in the least.

Tastes incredibly smooth. Very malty. Strong taste of wheat (not wheatmalt, just wheat...like bread) followed up by a surprising dose of hops in the back.

Goes down very smooth. Solid body. Not way too carbonated like most AB beers.

2.25/5  rDev -18.5%

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%

3.97/5  rDev +43.8%

This beer is not available in Louisiana, so I had never tried it until 2010 on a trip in Minnesota. I drank this poured from a 12 oz. can. It has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is very high. The aroma is sharp, with a heavy grain/grass aspect. The taste is good, and a good amount of corn(?) can be detected. I noticed a nice hop appeal here, but nothing heavy, of course. Mouth-feel was light and watery, and Michelob Golden Draft finished crisp and refreshing. All in all, I really liked it and wish it was more widely available. NOTE: I'd avoid drinking this in the clear glass bottle as that could allow for spoilage. The can or draft is a safer bet.

RJT

3.45/5  rDev +25%

Straw golden with a tight fleeting white foam leaving nothing to indicate it was ever there.
Grain husk and cornmeal aroma with a dash of powdered sugar sweetness.
A brief graininess signals its entrance in the mouth. Here, it switches quickly to cornbread, with that same powdered sugar dusting. Fairly vapid through the middle with some residual sweetness. Hopping is nearly non-existent, but a dry grassiness adds phantom traces of late bitterness.
Not as fizzy or insubstancial as many American Macro lagers. The CO2 is geared down a notch, giving the body a tad bid more heft than most.
All in all, this is a solid version that a touch beefier and sweeter than the majority of its peers.

2.98/5  rDev +8%

My impression of this beer was the mouthfeel, as there seemed little overall flavor. There was a softness and fluffiness to the feel that was unusually obvious, leading almost to a sense of creaminess. Other characteristics seemed pretty typical for style.

2.75/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

I finally got to try this beer courtesy of a trade with arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!

12oz can served in a Michelob pilsner glass.

L - clear yellow color with a white head that totally vanished in a minute or less.

S - grainy malt

T - the taste is grainy, mostly corn but it does have a slight bitterness to it before finishing grainy sweet.

F - light bodied with a crisp, refreshing feel.

D - a real easy drinking beer for when you just want 'a beer'.

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%

1.78/5  rDev -35.5%

Went by a buddy’s’ house after golf, and he had a case of this crap. Sure wasn’t gonna turn down a free beer, but jeez, this stuff was awful. An immediate skunk smell (freakin clear bottle) followed by a corn adjunct quaff. No malt. I had my buddy throw a lime in it just to make it manageable. AB made this shit to compete with Miller in Chicago.

2.65/5  rDev -4%

Wow. It took awhile to find this one. I called Anheuser-Busch and asked where I could find it. Apparently it's only sold in 3 or 4 states, and Missouri (where it's brewed) ain't one of 'em. I didn't even know they made a regular Golden Draft because all I saw was the Light version. So here we are, I tracked you down and now I'm going to give you the reviewer's treatment!

Serving style : 12 oz ribbed glass bottle, complete with blue (!!!) label. Poured for appearance.

Appearance (2.5) : Bubble bath sudsy, foamy white three fingered head that actually leaves a lacing on the glass. Recedes to a one finger head within 1 minute. Color is transparent pale straw/hay yellow that, with a little effort, anyone could solve flash cards through (wanna try it?). Extra kudos for leaving a lacing behind.

Smell (2.25): River water, barley, musty corn, malty grape tomato, a little paint or chemical. Very adjunct-y. I'm not digging this so much. The bottle adds an offensive smell not unlike a mens' locker room.

Taste (2.5) : It's got the Golden Draft taste but a bit more adjunct-y, and some sweet rotten corn permeates the flavor. Overall it is bland. I wish I had a "MG Light" to compare it with side by side but I'd bet you I would prefer that product more. Now as it slides down the throat it's got this malted rotten barley grain flavor to it that sticks around. It has a slight tasteless vanilla background. The finish is wet and grainy, not tasting like much at all. The Miller Lite I had earlier has more of a taste profile. A let down.

Mouthfeel (2) : Carbonated, wet, papery. Not smooth, not creamy, not anything. Pretty disappointed.

Overall (2.65) : I didn't think that this product would be as bad as it is. You expect a full flavored beer to give you more flavor, not less character. I like Michelob Golden Light better - and oddly enough I think it has more character and even more flavor. From now on it's Light for me. It's my favorite light beer.

At least I finished the quest of finding this beer and having the chance to review it. If you must journey to find it, take my word and don't keep your hopes too high, grasshopper.

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%