Michelob Golden Draft | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Michelob Golden Draft is a premium, cold-filtered lager beer that is brewed using two-row barley malt, premium American hops and corn to achieve its smooth, full taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-22-2002

2.6/5  rDev -5.8%

3.75/5  rDev +35.9%

2.65/5  rDev -4%

Wow. It took awhile to find this one. I called Anheuser-Busch and asked where I could find it. Apparently it's only sold in 3 or 4 states, and Missouri (where it's brewed) ain't one of 'em. I didn't even know they made a regular Golden Draft because all I saw was the Light version. So here we are, I tracked you down and now I'm going to give you the reviewer's treatment!

Serving style : 12 oz ribbed glass bottle, complete with blue (!!!) label. Poured for appearance.

Appearance (2.5) : Bubble bath sudsy, foamy white three fingered head that actually leaves a lacing on the glass. Recedes to a one finger head within 1 minute. Color is transparent pale straw/hay yellow that, with a little effort, anyone could solve flash cards through (wanna try it?). Extra kudos for leaving a lacing behind.

Smell (2.25): River water, barley, musty corn, malty grape tomato, a little paint or chemical. Very adjunct-y. I'm not digging this so much. The bottle adds an offensive smell not unlike a mens' locker room.

Taste (2.5) : It's got the Golden Draft taste but a bit more adjunct-y, and some sweet rotten corn permeates the flavor. Overall it is bland. I wish I had a "MG Light" to compare it with side by side but I'd bet you I would prefer that product more. Now as it slides down the throat it's got this malted rotten barley grain flavor to it that sticks around. It has a slight tasteless vanilla background. The finish is wet and grainy, not tasting like much at all. The Miller Lite I had earlier has more of a taste profile. A let down.

Mouthfeel (2) : Carbonated, wet, papery. Not smooth, not creamy, not anything. Pretty disappointed.

Overall (2.65) : I didn't think that this product would be as bad as it is. You expect a full flavored beer to give you more flavor, not less character. I like Michelob Golden Light better - and oddly enough I think it has more character and even more flavor. From now on it's Light for me. It's my favorite light beer.

At least I finished the quest of finding this beer and having the chance to review it. If you must journey to find it, take my word and don't keep your hopes too high, grasshopper.

1.89/5  rDev -31.5%

Nothing is unique about this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +54%

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%

This is a great refreshing, light, crisp beer. As far as Macro goes, this is one of the best and is great for filling a cooler for a summer day.

Would Drink Again: Yes