Michelob Celebrate Vanilla Oak | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Hand-crafted by A-B master brewers with real vanilla beans and aged on bourbon barrel oak. Richly aromatic with distinct vanilla & oak flavors. Available as a single 24oz bottle or as a gift set with two imported 13.5oz Ritzenhoff Crystal snifters and a 24oz bottle.

Added by ghurux86 on 11-20-2005

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
2.65/5  rDev -6%

This beer pours a whiskey reddish/brown with absolutely no head. Very Clear.

The smell was very lacking especially for something that is brewed with vanilla beans. Small traces of vanilla are really the only thing that my nose is picking up on.

The taste is mildly sweet at first, vanilla in the middle, and all alcohol in the finish. 3 very different experiences all in one sip. 2 of them are not so good.

The mouthfeel is medium body with little to no carbonation.

This is average at best in the drinkability category. Too little flavor for such a high alcohol content. Tastes sort of like cream soda with rum in it. I wouldn't recommend this beer.

3.7/5  rDev +31.2%

This is like reviewing your annoying aunt's personality and trying to be objective. This is like dancing with the ugly girl and noticing that she has a cute nose. About a year ago an amazing beer conversation started amongst us BAs about if A-B made a great beer, would you buy it. (not that this was great) I said yes because I am just a beer geek with a wallet. Well, after sneaking in a tasting at a most inoppurtune moment *wink* I must say that Michelob Celebrate isn't all bad. Plenty of dunkle weizen banana notes and actually some respectability to this beer except but in the long run, the flavor tapped me on the shoulder and reminded me that this is A-B afterall. Hot awl-kee-hawl fell. The flavor didn't bring home the bacon, but it was a shocker-rocker to drink!

I want to say thanks to a certain BA who shall remain nameless in the honor of all that is craft beer. So I will stand tall, say a big thanks and hope that in a small way he knows that I truly appreciate trying this scrod beer on steroids.

Beer is good. Happy macro beering.

1.75/5  rDev -37.9%

Thought I'd give it a shot but it appears Michelob is just jumping on the specialty brew bandwagon. This is just like regular Michelob: no character. Drank it from the bottle on way home from hockey games, so pourability and color can't be graded. I approached this beer with an open mind, but it is nothing more than Michelob with vanilla flavor. Tastes like flat cream soda. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. If you desire vanilla flavor spend your money on Immortale.

1.86/5  rDev -34%

Michelob Celebrate Oak-Aged Dark Vanilla 2005 Pours a dark copper from a black 1 pint 8 fl. oz. glass bottle with a full bottle black plastic over wrap label. Light tan head of fine foam went to over two fingers in my 16oz beer tumbler before collapsing to a well defined ring with light lacing.

Nose is a mixture of vanilla and alcohol with whiffs of Oak. Palate is a pronounced whisky alcohol, Oak and alcohol are first and foremost here, with the vanilla trying... to smooth things over.

Michelob Celebrate Oak-Aged Dark Vanilla 2005 can pass for whisky and vanilla flavored soda. For me, this will have to be an acquired taste, as my first impression is thumbs down with the whisky perception.

12/09/2005

Second bottle, This stuff is really gross...

2.44/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a golden ruby color with a decent white frothy head.

Smell is very sweet with strong astringent aroma. I am surprised that the smell is so one dimentional. No underlying complexity with this aroma.

Taste is completely dominated by the vanilla flavor. With some concentration I pick out the slight bourbon flavor. Very little malts and no hops whatsoever. I am amazed at the thin flavor.

Mouthfeel is rather thin. unimpressive.

If you want a 10% beer that you can pound like water; then this is the beer for you. Personally I am quite unimpressed. I will not buy another of this beer.

1.99/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured a very nice clear reddish copper color with a thick creamy head.

Smell was a very sublte touch of sweet and vanilla.

Taste is dominated by the vanilla with a very sweet taste and some subtle hints of the bourban and oak aging. Finishes way to sweet with no hops taste at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery and suprisingly has none of that high ABV feel that I would expect.

Drinkability is below average, gets a little to sweet after a bit, I am glad I split my 22oz bottle as I don't think I would want to have to plow through the whole thing.

1.12/5  rDev -60.3%

Gods of all beer I beg your forgiveness for I have sinned. I have befouled my loving beer cabinet, beer goblet and my taste buds with this foul wretchedness. I even managed to befoul my wife tastebuds with this horrid sewer water. My wife stated of this beer, "I thought you loved me. You tried to poison me."

Removed from its festive box and was greeted by a fancy looking bottle with a screw top. I should have left this at the store; however, I took it home. The box plainly states 2005 date.

After a few hours in the fridge I broke the seal on the cap. My intial impulse was to pour this stuff down the drain. I poured it in my beer goblets.

Appearance: The beer has almost a pink almost ruby coloration. The head was minimal frothy whiteness that quickly resolved into a thin cream colored scum. No carbonation is to be seen in the beer.

Smell: The high light of this beer was the smell. There is a brief moment that a grainy alcohol smell hits your nose. Followed by an off vanilla smell.

Taste: The taste is a plain mess. Funky alcohol flavors with an odd spicy sweetness. No hops to speak of and the malts are off. No hint of oak aged barrels let alone bourbon.

Mouthfeel: This has a very oddly oily texture. Did they just put vanilla oil in the beer?

Drinkability: You have got to be kidding. This shit is awful.

A warning to all beer geeks buy something else. This beer is not for any self respecting beer geek. I thought that AB could make a "Real Beer". I was wrong.

2.03/5  rDev -28%

I'm not sure if I agree with the "herbed/spiced beer" designation this beer has right now, but I'll leave it up to someone more knowledgeable than me to decide if it is not the correct style.

First off I have to say that I really wanted to like this beer. A-B brewers have to be very good to make the same beer consistently batch in and out. I thought for sure they would have let their brewers really stretch their skills to make this beer a great foray into craft brewing. I thought this had to be an opening salvo into the craft beer war that they would decide to win. It must be the beer equivalent of Ford's GT-500 that shows the world they even though they were a mass producer, they could make the best if they put their minds to it. I was wrong.

This beer must have been brewed by committee. I can't think of another reasonable explanation than that. There must have been someone who wanted a barrel aged beer because it was "hot" and someone else who wanted vanilla to appeal to women. Someone else decided that it had to be a lager so that they would stick to what they knew best. What a mess.

Twisting off the top of the plastic-wrapped beer reminds me of the few horrible experiences I've had with 40 oz. beers. Little did I know this was foreshadowing.

The beer pours a clear and eerie reddish brown with an active head that disappears if you blink. After about 1 minute, I can see NO evidence of any carbonation in my beer. It looks like flat tea.

When I took a whiff to see how this bourbon barrel aging and vanilla combined, I was pleasantly surprised to get a sweet and spicy vanilla incense infused bourbon noseful. This could be interesting I thought. However I soon found out it is the only worthwhile experience about the beer.

Taste is big fat mess of flat cream soda and whiskey. It tastes like something a high school sophomore might concoct after raiding his parent's liquor cabinet. How can anyone be proud of having produced this beer? It is a debacle in a bottle. It is too sweet, too flat, and decidedly offensive to my mouth. I'll probably wake up tomorrow and my tongue and gums will have left my mouth in protest to hide under my refrigerator.

Mouthfeel is flat and thin. There is no carbonation at all to help pick this beer up off the floor. I'm sorry I bought this.

Drinkability is truly awful and I'm actually afraid that I'll get a headache from drinking something so absolutely offensive to me.

I am disappointed to have to write this review. I was hoping that A-B would have produced a great beer and that I would be looking forward to buying more. I thought perhaps this would be a gateway beer to share with non-BA friends who might see the light after tasting something with a familar label. I couldn't have been more wrong.

2.79/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear deep and rich garnet color, head rises to almost 1/2 an inch but dies very quickly. Practically no lace at all. Aroma shows little distinction, some pineapple fruitiness, sweet, not much else. Mouthfeel is surprisingly flat, carbonation dives down to nothing but the liquid does have a coating quality to it. Very exaggerated vanilla flavor, transitions into a caramelly and vaguely buttery impression, flat cream soda, some senses of powerful alcohol. This beer has some very seemless qualities, it might interest some folks, but it doesn't have much of note in a lot of ways that you might expect from a high-test craft beer. Hops don't come into play and vanilla takes up a lot of the role you might look to an interesting malt backbone to play. I don't mind the attempt, but this one's not that good and its not worth the price, in my opinion. And its a little weird to have a presentation box, a nice bottle with screened clear plastic labels -- and a cheap-ass screw-off top like a bad 40 oz...

3.97/5  rDev +40.8%

appearance: pours a reddish amber color with little head. the little bit of head it has doesn't stay around long, but the color is magnificent.

smell is pretty good. it is mostly vanilla. you can also smell alcohol, but it is almost all vanilla in the nose for me. maybe a small hint of malt.

taste is very good. once again, vanilla. only a hint of oak comes through from the bourbon barrel aging. the warmth of alcohol comes through at the end, but it is pretty mild for being 10% abv. very good flavor.

mouthfeel is good, not to thick or thin. carbonation level is low which explains the minimal head. the low carbonation doesn't seem bad for this beer, it fits the flavor and alcohol level.

drinkability is ok. it is a good brew, definitely one of the best from ab but it obviously couldn't be drank all night due to the abv.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last