Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Winter Warmer

During even the coldest of weather, warm up to the smooth, robust taste of our Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale. Full of rich aromas that you find in the winter months, hints of vanilla and flavorful hops, this is a beer that is great for pouring into a large tulip glass and enjoying with friends around a fireplace.

Added by JISurfer on 12-15-2005

2.73/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz brown bottle

Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale was a clear dark amber color with a quickly dissapearing off-white head. The aroma was dominated by vanilla. The taste was also heavy on the vanilla and was fairly sweet with a little more balance in the finish. The body was just less than medium with fairly light carbonation. Drinkability was below average. The vanilla flavor and sweetness get annoying by the end of glass. One of these is plenty.

2.47/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of my mom, thanks! Bought at Bavarian Inn, Frenkenmuth, MI. Copper body is capped only briefly by a mocha fizz, with tiny bubbles. No lace or retention, and a lack of proteins. The head fades to a small ring that lasts for about a minute. The aroma is awash with eucalyptus, spearamint, vanilla extract, and some nutty, woody segments. Flavour profile is on the plus side of sweet caramel malts, but is over-turned by a lot of vanilla, sweet miny candy, bubblegum, sugary malts. The body is strange due do the thin aspects, and it is quite watery on the finish. Funnily enough, it’s a sipper, and pretty tough to drink at even a standard pace. Thanks for the bottle mom!

3.49/5  rDev +21.6%

My wife and I had dinner last night at Red Lobster, and we sat at the bar for a drink while we waited for our table. My wife ordered a Sam Adams. My attention was caught by barhands pulling sample-sized glasses of beer from this snowman-shaped tap handle, smelling it, tasting it, and then making that beer face that you see when Bud Light drinkers are given a beer with flavor. It's just those sorts of reactions that make me want to drink a beer.

So I tried one. They were a bit mystified by someone ordering this beer -- in a warm glass no less.

It poured a rather nice looking redish/amber color, but unfortunately didn't have much of a head. The smell was sweet and spicy-- like cloves or cinnimon. Not the best winter warmer I've smelled. Not by a long shot, but it was the thought that counts.

Taste was sweet again, with a bit of oakyness in there, but it tasted a bit deliberate and not very smooth. It's almost like the brewers said, "we're going to get this to taste oaky if it kills it! Now where's my oak extract?!" But overall it wasn't a bad beer. It got better as it warmed.

A nice malty backbone supported the spices. My biggest hangup is that the mouthfeel was a bit thinner than I was hoping for, and the beer was overcarbonated big time. But, hey, you don't go to Red Lobster for the beer.

2.38/5  rDev -17.1%

Bought some of this from the Beverage Warehouse.

This is an ultra clear red colored beer with a momentary tan head. The color looks artificial to me.

Smell is sweet and malty with a decent herbal hop aroma. Caramel and a bit woody smelling there is something of a Bourbon scent here but it is really just vanilla.

Taste begins sweet with a fairly strong vanilla ice cream flavor. This tastes basically the same as Michelob Celebrate Vanilla Oak in a lower alcohol beer. Bitterness level is rather low and this is extremely one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is good is suspect heavy use of maltodextrin.

I think I am being generous here with the drinkability score. What the hell is wrong with Anheuser-Busch and over use of vanilla in everything? Bourbon flavor is about a hell of a lot more than just too damn much vanilla.

2.59/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle Inspection: Born on 10NOV06 (DD58?) sampled 01JAN07, lists 6%, imported hops, bourbon barrels, and Madagascar vanilla beans.

Aroma: First whiff is wet wood, some alcohol spice, and some dark malt.

Appearance: Painfully clear amber glass tries to hold a head but only manages a collar.

Flavor: Vanilla pops right out, a bit heavy handed dominating all other tastes. Very difficult to get much more out of it; some mild bourbon taste is noted in the malt background.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and thin.

Overall Impression: Yawn. Bold tastes boiled down to not offend the masses. Vanilla is a bit too strong, I’m glad I don’t have the 6er to deal with.

2.69/5  rDev -6.3%

Visual: Nice copper/amber color; head was gone by the time it reached the table.

Aroma: Nice malt/vanilla combination.

Flavor: Way too much vanilla. This is like cream soda in a beer. In fact, it tastes more like cream soda (including the sweetness) than beer, really.

Mouthfeel: OK, medium body, very little carbonation in my draft version. Body typical of an amber ale.

Overall: OK, for a novelty brew. But one was enough. Glad I just got a pint! Note: Being in Utah, this must have been a 4% version of this beer.

3.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured a medium amber hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was little retention and little lacing.

The smell featured a nice upfront sweet grainy malt. Slight hints of bourbon and vanilla as well.

The taste was upfront sweet vanilla - very reminiscent of a cream soda. Some grain detected as well. The vanilla really dominates. Some bourbon in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was on the lighter side, yet creamy.

Overall an interesting beer. Tasty but hard to finish. More of a light dessert beer in my opinion.

3.78/5  rDev +31.7%

Given the reputation of the brewer this beer is EXCEPCIONAL. In the grand sceme of craft beer, it is a solid drinkable not bad beer. I was expecting much less.

Appearance: it starts out with a very beautiful pours. The color is a clear crimson caramel and the head is tan.

Smell: Cherry syrup and vanilla extract flavor a light malt base. Bourbon... weellll... I don't know about all that - vanilla for sure with a hint of alcohol. yes.

Taste: I have had worse spiced beer this winter. It tastes like vanilla cream soda with a hint of birch (wood) and a splash of clean vodka. Vanilla tends to associate with oak but it is not dominantly woody justly lightly dry with a touch of oak, IMO. It is more caramel flavored and vanilla favored and though a bit artificially spiced in nature it is pleasant until the aftertaste. I was not a big fan of the aftertaste but it didn't last long any way and a simple cure was keep drinking.

Mouthful: It feels like a medium body red ale in the mouth. a little light and bubbly for a craft winter warmer but acceptable.

Drinkability: I found this beer to be easy to drink though it is soda like. After a couple of soda's if you keep drinking them they are likely to give you a belly ache. I am not going to test this theory but I'd say one is very worth tasting. At least to see what A-B is capable of brewing.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.11/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer isn't all that great. It has almost no head, and it sticks around only for a short while. The smell is decent and smells of some chocolate malts and a little vanilla smell as well as some alcohol. Taste is decent, but this beer seems pasteurized and the flavors aren't that great. Malts have good flavors and there is some stuff going on, but this beer is way too watery and the malts are way too thin. It's not bad, but not good. Mouthfeel is below average as this beer doesn't cling too well. I could drink a few of these, but would really prefer something else.

2.71/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a dark reddish amber. A nice whitish head about 1/2 inch forms on the pour, which quickly fades to a ring around the glass. No lacing. In typical AB style this one is absolutely clear.

Smell: Some sweet malts (caramel), but this is overpowered by the scent of vanilla. I get no bourbon scent from this at all.

Taste: Some decent malt backing a bit sweet. Absolutely no bitterness, as I expected there is a definite vanilla flavor here, although thankfully it is not overwhelming like the Michelob Celebrate. Touch dissappointed there is nothing bourbon like here.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, good carbonation. The 6% alcohol is not noticeable.

Drinkability: The offensiveness of this is kept down. For me the vanilla, while present, is kept muted. That is a good thing for me. I purchased one bottle out of curiosity as part of a mixed 6 pack. I see no need to go get another.

3.2/5  rDev +11.5%

On-tap 12/31/06 at The Celtic Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright orangey-red color, with a medium-sized off-white head that fades at a decent rate and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is strong and malty with caramel & vanilla.

T: The taste is loaded with a strong vanilla flavor and caramelized malt. After-taste is very sweet. The beer tastes exactly like cream soda to me. I guess AB thinks that making a beer not taste like beer is the only way the masses will drink something other than the swill that they normally produce.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish from the sweetness.

D: Unexpectedly tasty, goes down easy, just a little bit filling. I can see how a regular macro drinker might like this as a change of pace, but I found it to be too sweet and I not a big fan of cream soda.

3.01/5  rDev +4.9%

Cherry wood color with an off-white head that recedes to a nice lace on top of the glass. Looks promising.
Lot's of vanilla in the aroma. Also a hint of charcoaled wood chips. This particular aroma kind of turns me off.
Taste is mild and dominated by the vanilla. Not the Madagascar Vanilla Beans the bottle boast of, but of artificial vanilla flavoring. I just don't taste the bourbon that is the beers namesake.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery.
Overall it's not a bad beer, but with so much better beers out there, why try this.

2.51/5  rDev -12.5%

A special brew from A-B? Well, here we go...

It looks OK, at least - translucent, with little head, the color of cherry wood furniture. In the nose, not much - it smelled sort of crisp and dry, with malty notes, but bourbon? Not really. It tasted thin and pathetic, too, with what I would call "basic beer flavors" that fade quickly. Not very interesting at all. It feels watery, with an easy amount of carbonation. It goes down easily, too, but I don't want any more of it. At least it'll help me get down my leftover pizza.

2.51/5  rDev -12.5%

I had this on-tap while waiting for a flight at the Cincinatti airport.

Appearance is a light coffee color, with a head that could have come off a can of Sprite. It was very fizzy, but with virtually no head.

This beer smelled like a Boston Creme doughnut to me...sweet with a creamy odor. Mild, but actually kind of pleasant.

The taste was of very strong vanilla notes, but they didn't feel like they belonged. The taste was very chemical in nature, as if this beer was brewed to be bland, and then caramel color and vanilla flavoring were added.

Mouthfeel was very thin, a bit like a diet pop. This beer was drinkable because it was so thin, but I didn't really have much desire to have another one.

2.12/5  rDev -26.1%

Ok...being totally open minded about this one (even though it's an A-B product) here goes the review.

Looks aren't very impressive. Pours a clear, dark orange-amber color with only a very quick glimpse at what appeared to be a head. No lacing at all.

The aroma is almost there. It's just so light that it is barely noticeable. I do detect some bourbon and vanilla, with the vanilla being more prominant. Not looking so good at this point.

The taste is...missing. Someone put out an Amber alert! The flavor can't be found. Ok, so I kid. But it is even harder to find than the scent. Again, the vanilla is stronger than the bourbon. They obviously just wanted to try to cash in on the barrel-aged phenomenom. Unfortunately, they didn't work very hard to make a good brew, even though they have an enormous amount of resources to do so. Shame on you A-B.

Thin, watery mouthfeel. It seems like everything was an afterthought on this except for the label. They must have came up with the label then said "quick, make some crap to fill these bottles before winter is over". I'm sure there are people out there that enjoy this one, but to them I would like to offer an Oaked Arrogant Bastard...a damn good wood beer.

2.59/5  rDev -9.8%

Root beer like colour, with no head.

Brown sugary smell permeates most of the aroma.

the taste has too much artificial vanilla, almost like a candy. It sticks to the back of your throat and is very acrid. Not enough hop balance to balance out that malty sweetness.

Yuck.

3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

It was ok. Has a brownish color to it, kinda watery. I had one the other day and was surprised that it was from the King of Beers (lol). I might buy another one to try it again. I wasn't thinking much of it when i was drinking it. Was an average beer. taste like vanilla a little mixed with white chocolate.

2.73/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall this beer isn't too bad. I've said to friends several times that A-B doing special releases to match the craft brew industry is a good sign, so I'll drink them. Their research and sales information, and business prowess is great; if A-B feels a need to compete with a winter release, they know what many of us have known for a while: craft beer is a threat.

But this beer has some of the expected problems. While the smell and taste aren't too bad, the overall impression is weak and watery for a bourbon winter ale. It has a thin tannish head the fell quickly around the edges over a mostly golden but slightly amber colored beer that was watery clear. In the nose, there are some spices, cloves, too much vanilla, and some of the woody smell is there, but all very low and imperceptible hop. A bit of caramel in the taste, but understated all the way through to the dry, light spicy finish.

The main problem I have with this beer is the fact that it tastes more like an overcarbonated lager rather than a cask ale. The misinformation for a neophyte is annoying, especially when this is being served at Old Chicago in Roseville for the Christmas tour and probably an A-B marketing push along with Stella Artois. While many of us cut our beer teeth at OC, I find it frustrating that the beer is serving as misinformation rather than education into good beer.

1.68/5  rDev -41.5%

This has to be the worst beer I've ever drank! The description seemed appealing until I noticed it was brewed by Anheuser-Busch and was immediately turned off, but I still bought it to give them a chance. The first sip that touched my tongue I noticed this was no cask ale, and was immediately like ughhh. It took along time to get the first one down, and why did I continue drinking it you might ask? It was because I just spent almost $8.00 on a six-pack of it. The appearnce is mediocre with no lacing and no head. It does have legs that crawl down the glass like whiskey. The color is a cherry-red. It is clear with no bubbling carbonation. The first sip is of overpowering vanilla flavoring that gagging. I've never had a vanilla flavored beer and this will be my last. It does have a slight hop spice and bitterness. Poorly carbonated and has a watery texture to the body. For an Ale aged on Bourbon Barrel Oak it should be more than a weak 6.0 ABV. They obviously don't know anything about a good cask ale or winter warmer. They should stick to producing macro-crap beer and leave the real beer to the pros. It is an interesting idea for a beer, but being poorly and cheaply brewed I will give it no justice, especially to any self-respecting beer advocate. Don't waste your money!

2.86/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a watery looking translucent burgundy-brown color. Produces an inital loose, fluffy tan head which quickly dissapates to a spotty, wispy film. Aroma is definitely dominated by the vanilla bean which seems authentic (as opposed to an artificially infused aroma). If you like tha aroma of vanilla bean in an ale this will seem somewhat pleasing and authentic. Some aromas of spices and toasted malts also appear faintly in the background. Mouthfeel is very disappointing for a beer of this style. Very thin and watery; no heft or body whatsoever. Weak and wimpy. Flavor starts out with some nice notes of vanilla bean, allspice, nutmeg, and roasted malts but unfortunately quickly trancends into a somewhat medicinal finish. I ended up blending one of these with an Anchor 2006 OSA and one with one of my homebrewed 9.2% abv English Strong Ales which rescued it to some extent. Try one if you so desire, but pass on a whole sixer like I did.

2.03/5  rDev -29.3%

I wasn't too thrilled about this beer. Poured a light amber color with a foamy white head that vanished quite quickly. Couldn't tell you much about the smell because there really wasn't any substance, just some weak malt and a hint of vanilla. The taste was awkward, the characteristic Anheuser Busch watery taste, quickly followed by strong sweet vanilla, but not in a god way, with weak malt and hops. Not impressed, won't get again... ever.

1.41/5  rDev -50.9%

A - Golden Copper with a head that does not last long. The look is about the only thing that was some what promising

S - Couldn't tell much in a bar that what somewhat smokey - maybe a hint of vanilla

T - Like I had ordered a rum and coke with a splash of beer. Yuk. Man, I was not expecting this. Very bad

M - Little carbonation and not much in the way of hops to start or end to help this horrible experiance any.

D - No thanks. If this is an attempt to draw the mass population to craft beer than bad job. If this was an attempt to draw some craft beer fans over to try some AB product than bad job.

2.05/5  rDev -28.6%

A: Deep burnt orange auburn color with a pissy foam head that bubbles down quite fast. No lacing in the glass, and it appears to be near crystal clear.

S: Notes of wet malt and roasted grains. Hints of dry hops and wood notes. A touch of bourbon.

T: Blah. Boring. Watery and bland malts mix over imposter notes of wood and a fake vanilla note. This beer was totally contrived and it shows.

M: Wet. That's about it. No carbonation, no density, and no enjoyment.

D: No thanks, I won't be back. Glad I got a single, as the other five would likely be drain fodder.

Notes: AB can do better. Far better. The Michelob Celebration and Brewmaster's Reserve were excellent examples. If AB wants to crack the craft and micro market, they need to work more along the lines of previous said successes, and lose the over-thought planned out feeling their brews seem to exude.

2.88/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer poured into the glass clear golden amber with a frothy off-white head which rose tall and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was light bourbon and oak presence with vanilla beans. The aroma was not very fruit despite being an ale and mostly contained oak char as a characteristic.

The flavor was mostly vanilla, far too strong in fact. With a vegetal flavor of some varietal of hops. Bourbon, if present, was barely there and oak was not a strong factor either.

The finish was even with lasting vanilla all over the place. The body was medium light with a moderate level of carbonation. The flavor on this one was just bordering on overdone. Vanilla flavor was forced and masked all the character in the flavor that had been established in the aroma. Skip it!

12 ounce bottle.

1.96/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours a tawny brown with a rosy hue with a medium off-white head. Aroma is light malt and a trace of vanilla, rather unmemorable.

Taste is malty sweet with an oily vanilla flavor. Light spices, a bit of a bitter burnt flavor. Mouthfeel is light, clean, a little watery. Overall, unbalanced and almost cloying.

From the label: "Aged on bourbon oak casks"? "All-imported hops"? None found here. "Madagascar vanilla beans"? Blech. Anything having to do with a cask serving? Dream on. A disapointment all around.

Born-on date of 13 Oct 06, but why bother.

Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale from Anheuser-Busch