Michelob Ultra Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest two-row and dark-roasted specialty malts for color, and a blend of imported and premium United States-grown noble aroma hops for balance and flavor.

Added by murphysbleachers on 01-26-2006

Reviews: 163 | Ratings: 355
3.98/5  rDev +66.5%

Mich Ultra Amber, 5.0 ABV, 114 cals p12ozs
Reviewed as a "light lager", poured bottle > tulip style glass

A 4.0 - solid amber/malty/copper color, very unique for a light lager, very small head gone quick
S 3.5 - almost non existent smell, but was not skunky like some American light macros can be
T 4.5 - clean, mild balanced amber taste, MUCH MORE taste & body that many American light lagers, a must try on the taste for this light beer, it's a surprise
MF 2.0 very light body, high on carbonation, very thin body
D 4.5 - this is a very solid session light beer, great price, great on calories, and great on ABV @ 5.0%. This beats all other light American Lagers - HANDS DOWN! If you like light beers with more character, than this is your beer! Try it. It is my first pick if I am on a session of light beers with hig ABV but still have some decent taste.

3.73/5  rDev +56.1%

Well, I am surprised by all the negative reviews.
I just tried it last night while watching a movie with my girlfriend. She bought it after the store clerk told her it was selling like crazy.

I was eating potatoes chips with onion dip so it didn't taste that bad after potato chips. Better than a soda and with less sugar.

3.7/5  rDev +54.8%

I can't stand Michelob Ultra, but I really do enjoy the amber version. I'm so tired of most light beers, so this is a nice change of pace. It's a very light beer with decent taste. I buy this pretty often, and I suggest it to my friends. I don't want to try the other flavored Ultras though, they scare me.

3.7/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A super light macro brew that actually has some body and flavor. Based on what I was expecting, I was presently surprised by this offering. Solid malt and grain profile.

3.69/5  rDev +54.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 5

I'll unashamedly admit it : I am a fan of Michelob. I like Michelob products and even their "Ultra" offering. I am on a low carb and low yeast diet to dispel a small yeast infection in my gut so I'm stuck with beers like this for a little while.

Appearance : Initially pours a two fingered head, very fluffy and frothy. Within a minute's time the head evaporates into a tiny ring. The body is mostly transparent, and the color of brackish water. Slightly copper, like a glass that has had old pennies sitting in it for a day. Not the best start.

Aroma : It smells mostly like Michelob Ultra with some lightly roasted grain. There's rice, barley, banana, and toasted malt, a caramel sticky-bun sweetness, and very faint grassy hop aroma.

Flavor : The dry, grassy, pasty character comes out immediately - typical Mich Ultra characteristics. Cooked rice, faint caramel, toffee, and a slight nuttiness. These are all in the midst of a rather washed out profile, but its all there.

Mouthfeel : Very fizzy to start, and then washes out a bit and ends slightly parched. I can feel a tender dryness attacking the sides of my mouth as it settles.

Overall : Nobody really goes into detail drinking these things. I mean they're meant as a low carb, low calorie option when necessary and for that reason I really must commend Michelob. Crafts are great until you get some unfortunate events that take away those joys for a little while - and thank God for products like these that still allow me to drink beer once in awhile. Thus the '5' overall.

3.68/5  rDev +54%

This review is relative to other beers in this category - ***LIGHT LAGERS***. I wish other BAs would rate this way... Also, had this one on draught, so maybe that makes a difference?

Had a deep, golden color, with a fair head for a light beer. Light carbonation present.

Surprisingly sweet smell, with a caramel maltiness and some macro graininess to it.

Rather earthy quality to the taste - did not quite live up to the smell, but still pretty sweet for the style.

Nice amount of carbonation, and was quite smooth. No harshness or bitter bite whatsoever.

For a light lager, I found this to be very drinkable. Granted, it's definitely not my style (see my other reviews), but I have to give them credit for trying to add a little character to an otherwise bland style.

3.68/5  rDev +54%

Ultra Bock to the rescue!!

A- Darker than traditional American Lagers. Transparent dark orange with hues of brown.

S- Present and accounted for. I can identify the bock right away.

T- Full bock and lager. Burnt oak flavor as it finishes.

M- Not Lacking in taste and mouthfeel. It’s not sure what it wants to be.

D- Drinkability is good. I enjoyed it.

I would recommend this beer to those who like Michelob Ultra,, but want more flavor. Beston draft!

3.57/5  rDev +49.4%

Pours a clear amber color and kicks up a thick, off-white color head which then dissipates within a few minutes into a very thin film of foam on top of the beer.

Smells of two-row barley and caramel malts with light hops in the background.

Taste is pretty much a mirror of the flavor. Sweet malty flavor imparted by the caramel malts, a slight mineral water-like flavor in there as well and a decent (but not great) amount of hops provide a bitter contrast when you swallow. I has a light to medium mouthfeel.

As far as the new "ultra light" beers go (ie. Bud Select, MGD 64, Select 55, ect...) this is probably one of the better ones I've had.

3.41/5  rDev +42.7%

What a strange idea. Combine Amber lagers, which are characterized by their strong malt character, with light beer that is, by definition, devoid of complex sugars.

That said, it isn't bad. I could actually see myself drinking this if I started to get a mondo beer belly. The darker malts add a layer of complexity not normally found in a lite beer. Think mixing one part Sam Adam's to seven parts Bud light. The adjunct nastiness is still there, it's just complimented by some actual flavour beyond watery corn.

At the end of the day, it's still a lite beer though, and I'd rather not drink it. But still, it wasn't bad. Wasn't bad at all.

3.39/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

the apperance was not outstanding although not really bad for a macro

the smell was nice and significant

the taste was rather malty with a slight hint of sweetness... it did have a slight watered down taste to it but not as bad as some of the more common beers of Anheuser-Busch.

the mouthfeel was pretty average for a macro; water-esque with some fizz

the drinkability was rather good, not because of the great taste, it just went down rather easily

3.35/5  rDev +40.2%

I really don't see why people are so critical of this beer. I know it kind of sucks but for what it is and what it's supposed to be, it's not that bad. Definitely has an amber color to it with a glowing white head and steady carbonation rising to the top. Looks a little too fizzy. Minimal lacing. Smells somewhat grainy and adjuncty. Flavor is better with stronger caramel malty notes and a bready texture. Still rather thin and bubbly from the carbonation. I couldn't drink too many of these but they are much more flavorful than most light lagers and this one still is quite clean. It has its place.

3.33/5  rDev +39.3%

Michelob Ultra Amber brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV of 4.00% This brew pours out a deep amber color, with a nice white head. The color is darker than what I was expecting, not saying that is a bad thing. Ultra Amber smell is light with grains and malts. There is a faint hit of hops, and sweetness in this brew. The taste of Michelob Ultra Amber is light and smooth, you pick up hits of grains and malts. The mouthfeel of Michelob Ultra Amber is smooth clean and refreshing. Not much too this brew, not saying that is a bad thing. There is nothing overpowering about this brew. Michelob Ultra Amber is a nice smooth drinking brew, it is what it is a light brew. Overall I'm giving Michelob Ultra Amber a 3.5 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.25/5  rDev +36%

For a light, macro made beer, this is not bad. Pours to a medium orange brownish/gold color with a head of white foam that did have staying power. Some lacing. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of grass and mildly sweet malts. Taste was fair enough; traces of hops dance over a bland, yet sweetened malty character. Oddly, not too bad. Mouthfeel was like having carbonated water sloshing about in my mouth. Could be nice on a wicked hot summer day, but on a early spring day in Detroit, it doesn't do much. Drinkability is north of average. This is better than it's original sister, but not an amazing beer by any stretch. Try it if you like... don't expect a world of flavor, maybe just a town of taste.

3.18/5  rDev +33.1%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Ultra clear... amber hue with an off white frothy cap that actually gets somewhat thick with a good pour. Holds well for such a fizzy beer, settles to a thin cap. Lacing is stringy and spotty.

Cracker like malt with a slight hint of floral hops.

Light toasty malt flavor that leads to a clean dry finish without a trace of hops. The grain quickly fades from start to finish. Watery and fizzy, light any light lager.

For a light beer, this actually has a decent amount of flavor. I guess if I was going to consider a light beer I may choose this one. It's actually tolerable. Personally, I don't drink light beers because I'm not trying to watch my weight, and if I was, I wouldn't be drinking beer at all. If you must, try this one.

3.13/5  rDev +31%

I have been drinking this lately as my cost efficient drinking beer.
Not because it's great, but because it's relatively inexpensive and you can actually drink 5 or 6 of them at a time if that's what your plan is for the night.

The beer is by far the best looking and best tasting of any light lagers out there.

A 12 oz bottle yields a light amber brew with no head and some lacing

The taste is hoppy but smooth like most everything offerred by Anheuser-Busch. I agree with a previous poster, if someone tries this and then starts looking into more crafty beer then hurrah for them.

The beer's best attribute is that it doesn't suck.

overall, a decent beer to bring a case of to your friends block party this summer...

3.08/5  rDev +28.9%

12oz bottle into some sort of a stemmed narrow tulip glass. Pour quickly raises a big white head, big bubbles, that fades almost as quickly as a soda. The beer is a pale golden amber. Held away from the light it looks like a decent amber, held up to the light it looks like a light lager. Weird, but this seems to be the way of this beer.

Aroma is almost non-existent. A hint of malt, a little caramel.

Flavor is expectedly light, but positively massive compared to the regular Ultra (aka soda water). Very much a very light lager here but with a thin note of caramel sweetness that is pretty well balanced by the bittering hops. The caramel flavor does not really taste like crystal malt to me. I kind of get the impression that this was spiked post-fermentation with some sort of unfermentable brewer's caramel kind of substance to provide color and flavor. It just doesn't seem quite kosher. Regardless, it's not bad. it's not really good, but it's not bad. Certainly a decent thirst quencher.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, the touch of sweet increases drinkability over the regular Ultra. Very easy to toss back and actually enjoyable after a long day of laying ceramic tile.

3.06/5  rDev +28%

Overall, this is a nearly inoffensive beer. DMS and adjust lager aroma pull this down from what might otherwise pass as a bland mild. The appearance is a reddish amber with no head retention and like I said, the aroma, well, stinks like cheap beer. The taste has a caramel note with pale biscuit undertones. This pairing of real beer flavors almost makes up for the aroma, but still can't qualify it as "good beer." Easy enough to drink and I wouldn't turn a free one down, but I'd never order this.

3.06/5  rDev +28%

A: The beer looks really nice. It's a beautiful see through amber that glows. There is pretty good lacing too.

S: A bit malty, but a strong lemon smell overall.

T: This is a tough one. On one hand you don't get much flavor at all, but that should be expected with this type of light beer. On the other hand the taste you do get is very nice spicy bread. Malty and sweet. Spice on the end is very subtle, with no bitterness.

M: It was wet and refreshing, but out of the bottle, the high carbonation ruins the beer more so than any beer I have had. Much smoother in a glass.

O: This is a great light beer. From now on, it is my go to light beer. While it does have less flavor than other light beers like Bud, Miller, and Coors light, the flavor that is there is far superior.

3.05/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this beer had a slight carbonated feel to it. Not especially strong taste wise and I consider this a party beer where quantity wins out. I would definitely drink it again especially on a hot southern summer day. Appearance was of good color and it had a nice aroma that was not off the mark from its taste.

3.05/5  rDev +27.6%

I'm kind of torn on this one. It's a low carb brew that enters the realm of something different than just "beer flavor". For that, I give 'em mad props, for atleast trying it. Sure, it's not some super-dee-duper awesome brew or anything, but for what it is, I think it's ok. It's refreshing and goes down easy, which is what a very light beer should be. Ofcourse, I think they did this one a bit too conservatively, so it really doesn't have a chance to "offend" anyone. Overall, it's an ok brew. Something I'll enjoy plenty of during the summer months.

3.05/5  rDev +27.6%

I picked up a six as they arrived in my area. The six was alittle harder to track down that first week as most spots got an opening order of two twelve pk cases.
It poured a fairly nice, clear amber. Carbonation still fizzed abit, but not as much so as the gold Ultra. After the fair pour, the fizz settles and a steady, half inch, off white head remains. Lace, not much at all. The aroma, not much at all of that either besides alittle caramelized malt.
The taste was of malts, caramel and toast. Alittle hop gives alittle help and balance. The taste also holds that Anheuser-rice taste that goes thru the beers.
Over-all, this beer should do ok for them. I would Never order an Ultra, but thisone I could see myself ordering if the choice was slim and thisone stood out.

3.03/5  rDev +26.8%

Saw this and was intrigued, I've had watery brew before (ultra), but amber watery brew may be different. Plus the temps are climbing and a good refresher is always needed. First off looking at the carbs it actually has about 50% more than Ultra, hmmm interesting. Smells like an amber brew, not outstandingly but it's there. Pours to an light amber color with a nice head. Taste is thin but does have hints of an amber brew with a slight maltiness and a mild twang of hops. Carbonation isn't too high but due to the lack of backbone does override the flavor. This is definitely not a connoisseur's beer. But I doubt any connoisseur is going to buy a self proclaimed low carb brew. It is what it is. I rate it what it proclaims to be, not even next to one of my red ale homebrews. For wicked hot weather working outside, this would be tough to top. Although at 5% AC I wouldn't be wielding a chainsaw.

3.03/5  rDev +26.8%

a- bottle poured into a pint, super clear amber color, one finger bubbly head that didn't last long, minimal lacing.

s- not much of a smell at all, little malt, little skunky lager smell.

t- more presence than i thought for it being an ultra, nice amount of malt, little sweetness, no hops that i could really pick up, overall really mild.

m- little thin, bubbly.

d- pretty drinkable, it's tastier than i thought, but by no means 'tasty' by my normal standards, i would drink again as a light lager, it's much better than the light adjuncts.

3.03/5  rDev +26.8%

Into the pilsner, a vigorous pour yields a puffy light tan colored head that visibly fades at a rapid rate down to minimal sheeting and a bit of lacing. Appears a medium dark, very red transparent color with many tiny bubbles coruscating. There’s not much on the nose, even when it warms up (not recommended), just a pleasant malty scent without the expected cheap malt liquor/adjunct smells one might expect. Taste is dominated by average malt (not sweet or caramelized). Tastes much like an average, moderately malty macro, but a bit thinner. Finishes on a dry, malty note. Mouth is bubbly and refreshing, watery, but not too thin. Drinkability is not bad, though in my opinion, the only purpose of ultra-light beers such as Mich Ultra is for people to have something in their hands at bars and parties.

Overall: A lot better than I expected. Not good, but not bad, either.

pours clear amber gold with a 2+ finger head that fades fast and left no lacing

smells like a sweet toasty macro

taste is sweet yet has some roasted notes - leaves a bad macro aftertaste

mouthfeel is thin but not overly carbonated like most light macros

drinkability is ok - if you are watching your carbs this might be the beer for you

Michelob Ultra Amber from Anheuser-Busch