Michelob Ultra Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest two-row and dark-roasted specialty malts for color, and a blend of imported and premium United States-grown noble aroma hops for balance and flavor.

Added by murphysbleachers on 01-26-2006

2.4

4.05/5  rDev +68.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Smooth. Very smooth.

Its good sometimes. better than keystone or Busch

3.98/5  rDev +65.8%

Mich Ultra Amber, 5.0 ABV, 114 cals p12ozs
Reviewed as a "light lager", poured bottle > tulip style glass

A 4.0 - solid amber/malty/copper color, very unique for a light lager, very small head gone quick
S 3.5 - almost non existent smell, but was not skunky like some American light macros can be
T 4.5 - clean, mild balanced amber taste, MUCH MORE taste & body that many American light lagers, a must try on the taste for this light beer, it's a surprise
MF 2.0 very light body, high on carbonation, very thin body
D 4.5 - this is a very solid session light beer, great price, great on calories, and great on ABV @ 5.0%. This beats all other light American Lagers - HANDS DOWN! If you like light beers with more character, than this is your beer! Try it. It is my first pick if I am on a session of light beers with hig ABV but still have some decent taste.

3.75/5  rDev +56.3%

3.75/5  rDev +56.3%

3.73/5  rDev +55.4%

Well, I am surprised by all the negative reviews.
I just tried it last night while watching a movie with my girlfriend. She bought it after the store clerk told her it was selling like crazy.

I was eating potatoes chips with onion dip so it didn't taste that bad after potato chips. Better than a soda and with less sugar.

3.71/5  rDev +54.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev +54.2%

I can't stand Michelob Ultra, but I really do enjoy the amber version. I'm so tired of most light beers, so this is a nice change of pace. It's a very light beer with decent taste. I buy this pretty often, and I suggest it to my friends. I don't want to try the other flavored Ultras though, they scare me.

3.7/5  rDev +54.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A super light macro brew that actually has some body and flavor. Based on what I was expecting, I was presently surprised by this offering. Solid malt and grain profile.

3.69/5  rDev +53.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 5

I'll unashamedly admit it : I am a fan of Michelob. I like Michelob products and even their "Ultra" offering. I am on a low carb and low yeast diet to dispel a small yeast infection in my gut so I'm stuck with beers like this for a little while.

Appearance : Initially pours a two fingered head, very fluffy and frothy. Within a minute's time the head evaporates into a tiny ring. The body is mostly transparent, and the color of brackish water. Slightly copper, like a glass that has had old pennies sitting in it for a day. Not the best start.

Aroma : It smells mostly like Michelob Ultra with some lightly roasted grain. There's rice, barley, banana, and toasted malt, a caramel sticky-bun sweetness, and very faint grassy hop aroma.

Flavor : The dry, grassy, pasty character comes out immediately - typical Mich Ultra characteristics. Cooked rice, faint caramel, toffee, and a slight nuttiness. These are all in the midst of a rather washed out profile, but its all there.

Mouthfeel : Very fizzy to start, and then washes out a bit and ends slightly parched. I can feel a tender dryness attacking the sides of my mouth as it settles.

Overall : Nobody really goes into detail drinking these things. I mean they're meant as a low carb, low calorie option when necessary and for that reason I really must commend Michelob. Crafts are great until you get some unfortunate events that take away those joys for a little while - and thank God for products like these that still allow me to drink beer once in awhile. Thus the '5' overall.

3.68/5  rDev +53.3%

This review is relative to other beers in this category - ***LIGHT LAGERS***. I wish other BAs would rate this way... Also, had this one on draught, so maybe that makes a difference?

Had a deep, golden color, with a fair head for a light beer. Light carbonation present.

Surprisingly sweet smell, with a caramel maltiness and some macro graininess to it.

Rather earthy quality to the taste - did not quite live up to the smell, but still pretty sweet for the style.

Nice amount of carbonation, and was quite smooth. No harshness or bitter bite whatsoever.

For a light lager, I found this to be very drinkable. Granted, it's definitely not my style (see my other reviews), but I have to give them credit for trying to add a little character to an otherwise bland style.

3.68/5  rDev +53.3%

Ultra Bock to the rescue!!

A- Darker than traditional American Lagers. Transparent dark orange with hues of brown.

S- Present and accounted for. I can identify the bock right away.

T- Full bock and lager. Burnt oak flavor as it finishes.

M- Not Lacking in taste and mouthfeel. ItÂ’s not sure what it wants to be.

D- Drinkability is good. I enjoyed it.

I would recommend this beer to those who like Michelob Ultra,, but want more flavor. Beston draft!

3.57/5  rDev +48.8%

Pours a clear amber color and kicks up a thick, off-white color head which then dissipates within a few minutes into a very thin film of foam on top of the beer.

Smells of two-row barley and caramel malts with light hops in the background.

Taste is pretty much a mirror of the flavor. Sweet malty flavor imparted by the caramel malts, a slight mineral water-like flavor in there as well and a decent (but not great) amount of hops provide a bitter contrast when you swallow. I has a light to medium mouthfeel.

As far as the new "ultra light" beers go (ie. Bud Select, MGD 64, Select 55, ect...) this is probably one of the better ones I've had.

3.41/5  rDev +42.1%

What a strange idea. Combine Amber lagers, which are characterized by their strong malt character, with light beer that is, by definition, devoid of complex sugars.

That said, it isn't bad. I could actually see myself drinking this if I started to get a mondo beer belly. The darker malts add a layer of complexity not normally found in a lite beer. Think mixing one part Sam Adam's to seven parts Bud light. The adjunct nastiness is still there, it's just complimented by some actual flavour beyond watery corn.

At the end of the day, it's still a lite beer though, and I'd rather not drink it. But still, it wasn't bad. Wasn't bad at all.

3.39/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

the apperance was not outstanding although not really bad for a macro

the smell was nice and significant

the taste was rather malty with a slight hint of sweetness... it did have a slight watered down taste to it but not as bad as some of the more common beers of Anheuser-Busch.

the mouthfeel was pretty average for a macro; water-esque with some fizz

the drinkability was rather good, not because of the great taste, it just went down rather easily

3.36/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep red gold color with only the briefest appearance of a white cap that quickly goes away.

Definite hit of caramel in the aroma with a touch of hop spice.

Tastes like Yuengling Light without the hops. The sweet caramel in the nose appears dryer on the palate. Entry is light caramel cloaked in bubley carbonation. Hops don't really show at all except in the aroma. The upside is a complete lack of bitterness or harshness in the flavor, finish or aftertaste.

I will call the body medium but I believe that's in part due to the high carbonation giving a mouth filling sensation.

Overall an improvement I think over the other Mich Ultra stablemates. It simply has more of everything in the way of appearance and flavor while staying within the limited boundaries of low carb/low calorie/low alcohol. Now, I understand the attraction for these things. Using walking as a means of daily exercise I know how much effort it takes to burn off 100 calories but, taking all things into consideration, I'd rather have a full strength Yuengling and walk a little further.

3.35/5  rDev +39.6%

I really don't see why people are so critical of this beer. I know it kind of sucks but for what it is and what it's supposed to be, it's not that bad. Definitely has an amber color to it with a glowing white head and steady carbonation rising to the top. Looks a little too fizzy. Minimal lacing. Smells somewhat grainy and adjuncty. Flavor is better with stronger caramel malty notes and a bready texture. Still rather thin and bubbly from the carbonation. I couldn't drink too many of these but they are much more flavorful than most light lagers and this one still is quite clean. It has its place.

3.33/5  rDev +38.8%

Michelob Ultra Amber brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV of 4.00% This brew pours out a deep amber color, with a nice white head. The color is darker than what I was expecting, not saying that is a bad thing. Ultra Amber smell is light with grains and malts. There is a faint hit of hops, and sweetness in this brew. The taste of Michelob Ultra Amber is light and smooth, you pick up hits of grains and malts. The mouthfeel of Michelob Ultra Amber is smooth clean and refreshing. Not much too this brew, not saying that is a bad thing. There is nothing overpowering about this brew. Michelob Ultra Amber is a nice smooth drinking brew, it is what it is a light brew. Overall I'm giving Michelob Ultra Amber a 3.5 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.33/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.31/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev +35.4%

For a light, macro made beer, this is not bad. Pours to a medium orange brownish/gold color with a head of white foam that did have staying power. Some lacing. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of grass and mildly sweet malts. Taste was fair enough; traces of hops dance over a bland, yet sweetened malty character. Oddly, not too bad. Mouthfeel was like having carbonated water sloshing about in my mouth. Could be nice on a wicked hot summer day, but on a early spring day in Detroit, it doesn't do much. Drinkability is north of average. This is better than it's original sister, but not an amazing beer by any stretch. Try it if you like... don't expect a world of flavor, maybe just a town of taste.

Michelob Ultra Amber from Anheuser-Busch