Michelob Ultra Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Michelob Ultra AmberMichelob Ultra Amber

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest two-row and dark-roasted specialty malts for color, and a blend of imported and premium United States-grown noble aroma hops for balance and flavor.

Added by murphysbleachers on 01-26-2006

Reviews: 163 | Ratings: 355
2.97/5  rDev +24.3%

As far as Macro's go this one ain't half bad. The color is a light amber with just a hint of red. The smell is very slightly spiced. The taste is like a light beer but with a touch of spices. The mouthfeel is where this one is seperated from the other mass produced beers. There is no harsh bitterness. It is a fairly smooth beer. The drinkability is very good. This beer is brewed to be a light session beer and it certainly is that. I could session these all night.

2.5/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Paid nothing, went home for Easter, this is what my dad drinks...

The beer pours a clear dark amber colored base, head retention only lasts for seconds and there is no lacing... reminded me of soda. The aroma is nothing really, nothing I can distinctly identify.

The taste isn't that bad, decent aftertaste and the light malt or whatever it is, is equivalent to most macros out there. The mouthfeel is pretty good, light on the pallete but a little carbonation affect the feel just a bit. Pretty drinkable for an ultra, I would probably have another since I have no other option, but drinking two isn't the end of the world.

Final Thought: Better than most light beers, so it is worth a shot to all you "yuppies" that think drinking this non-beer matters in the calorie count.

2.08/5  rDev -13%

Pours pale amber/orange with good clarity. A soapy/fizzy off-white head of three-fingers shows very poor retention and scarce-spotty lacing. Cereal adjunct and light toasted amber malt nose - weak overall with no detectable hops. The flavor is similar; semi-sweet corn/rice flavor upfront, then faint malt character comes on and fades in the same instant. Nil aftertaste. Highly carbonated and thin bodied turns out overly crisp; but still not enough to hide the off-flavor. The finish is mostly clean but the taste seems forced and fake. This seems to be an attempt to produce both light and malty flavor simultaneously and it ends up failing to achive either.

3.08/5  rDev +28.9%

12oz bottle into some sort of a stemmed narrow tulip glass. Pour quickly raises a big white head, big bubbles, that fades almost as quickly as a soda. The beer is a pale golden amber. Held away from the light it looks like a decent amber, held up to the light it looks like a light lager. Weird, but this seems to be the way of this beer.

Aroma is almost non-existent. A hint of malt, a little caramel.

Flavor is expectedly light, but positively massive compared to the regular Ultra (aka soda water). Very much a very light lager here but with a thin note of caramel sweetness that is pretty well balanced by the bittering hops. The caramel flavor does not really taste like crystal malt to me. I kind of get the impression that this was spiked post-fermentation with some sort of unfermentable brewer's caramel kind of substance to provide color and flavor. It just doesn't seem quite kosher. Regardless, it's not bad. it's not really good, but it's not bad. Certainly a decent thirst quencher.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, the touch of sweet increases drinkability over the regular Ultra. Very easy to toss back and actually enjoyable after a long day of laying ceramic tile.

2.06/5  rDev -13.8%

Not sure why I am reviewing this one. Thin head with fake copper color. Hops are faint and not much malt. Lots of carbonation but lacking in mouthfeel.

Got a case of this stuff for my wife...I hope she enjoys it because there AIN'T MUCH THERE! Tough sell on this one .

3.25/5  rDev +36%

For a light, macro made beer, this is not bad. Pours to a medium orange brownish/gold color with a head of white foam that did have staying power. Some lacing. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of grass and mildly sweet malts. Taste was fair enough; traces of hops dance over a bland, yet sweetened malty character. Oddly, not too bad. Mouthfeel was like having carbonated water sloshing about in my mouth. Could be nice on a wicked hot summer day, but on a early spring day in Detroit, it doesn't do much. Drinkability is north of average. This is better than it's original sister, but not an amazing beer by any stretch. Try it if you like... don't expect a world of flavor, maybe just a town of taste.

2.59/5  rDev +8.4%

I've had this in a bar a few times. I have some hard core beers that I drink, but I have the need to have something light on occasion. So far I would put this on the top of might light beer light beer list. So it isn't pretty to look at, nothing special about the head, just typical waterly looking bubbles with probably food coloring for the dark color. It almost has no smell, a hint of something unpleasant, but I can't place it. Mouth feel is like water, as bad as regular Ultra resembled water. Now, as I'm being objective here and not hoping great things for a light beer... It actually doesn't taste that bad. Even though it is light it has some characteristics in the taste that make is reasonable to drink. I rated the drinkability high as well because you could drink this all day due to it's lightness. I wish they would carry it at the basketball arena because when you got to drink something this would make a good choice...

...stressing... for a macro brew light beer.

2.55/5  rDev +6.7%

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a glass

A- well it's supposed to be amber, and it was. but the amberness was not deep at all. it looked like they just squirted some amber coloring in there. in fact, at the bottom of the glass there was a layer of clearness. eeh. the head looked like soda fizz, and lasted about as long as it does with diet coke.

S- didnt smell like anything. literally had no smell. i put my nose practically in this beer and smelled nothing.

T- not as miserable as i was thinking it would be, but that's not saying much. tasted like wheat, diet coke(minus the sweetness), and aa hint of hops.

M- superthin and not very smooth.

D- oh yeah, i'm drinking this again...not.

3.35/5  rDev +40.2%

I really don't see why people are so critical of this beer. I know it kind of sucks but for what it is and what it's supposed to be, it's not that bad. Definitely has an amber color to it with a glowing white head and steady carbonation rising to the top. Looks a little too fizzy. Minimal lacing. Smells somewhat grainy and adjuncty. Flavor is better with stronger caramel malty notes and a bready texture. Still rather thin and bubbly from the carbonation. I couldn't drink too many of these but they are much more flavorful than most light lagers and this one still is quite clean. It has its place.

2.28/5  rDev -4.6%

Nice “amber “color to it. Fair sized white head with non-stop pearling. It looks pretty good. Aroma is a tad sweet and thin. Not much going on. Taste is the same a sweet start with a light bitter middle and a dry finish and yes watery on the tongue. Overall ok, nothing I would buy but for free…it was ok.

3.41/5  rDev +42.7%

What a strange idea. Combine Amber lagers, which are characterized by their strong malt character, with light beer that is, by definition, devoid of complex sugars.

That said, it isn't bad. I could actually see myself drinking this if I started to get a mondo beer belly. The darker malts add a layer of complexity not normally found in a lite beer. Think mixing one part Sam Adam's to seven parts Bud light. The adjunct nastiness is still there, it's just complimented by some actual flavour beyond watery corn.

At the end of the day, it's still a lite beer though, and I'd rather not drink it. But still, it wasn't bad. Wasn't bad at all.

2.38/5  rDev -0.4%

Tasted this one at the Anheuser-Busch brewery, as they were launching the product.

Standard Michelob, to its credit, has it's own unique grainy kick to it. I'm not too sure what causes it, and truthfully it's not entirely pleasent. The same kick is definately here in the Amber. AB is to be at least commended on that, Mic Ultra Amber definately reminds me of normal Mic with a little something added to it.

That something, strangely enough, is a Killians. All the things they could have made this taste like, and they go for a Michelob/Killians mix. A bit dissapointing really.

1.98/5  rDev -17.2%

It beats the Silver Bullet, but not by much.

Poured from a longneck into a pint glass, it is fizzy and clearly overcarbonated. it has some color, I'll admit (it's actualy amber) but is clear enough to read through anyway. The head disipates fast, too.

Smells like corn and/or rice, with just enough malt to qualify it as beer. Zero hops.

Taste? Bud lite/Mich lite/Nat.Lite/any AB lite + the aforementioned hint of malt. Again, Zero hops. I guess hops have carbohydrates or something.

Mouthfeel = see taste

Drinkability: well, as the saying goes, it's like making love in a canoe... You can drink it as fast as you can an Aquafina.

Bottom line: just because it's "Amber" doesn't mean it's good.

2.15/5  rDev -10%

Poured from the brown longneck into my straight sided tumbler. Very light amber color pours a small dark tan head. Very little smell of any kind. My initial taste was very strange,(antifreeze?) Try the taste test again and it's possible to pick up a faint taste of hops. Also a very faint taste of malt.The mouthfeel is an improvement and the drinkability is quite good. I would classify this as a "lawnmower beer." Meaning it's very sessionable. Finishes clean, like water. Perhaps it's not possible to make a light, dark beer.

Slainte,

barleyman

2.25/5  rDev -5.9%

I was over at a buddy's house checking out new kegerator...and this is what he had hooked up. Poured a pale amber color slight red hues. Thin cap that dissipated quickly. He keeps his kegerator at 38 degrees, so the smell wasn't much. But had a slightly better than your basic macro corn and filler smell. But more of the same. The taste was full of carbonation, very watery, not much sweetness and a very slight hopiness at the end. This is a good beer if you are going for quantity not quality when you need to entertain.

1.89/5  rDev -20.9%

Born on Feb. 01, 06. The Michelob Ultra Amber pours from the bottle a clear amber brown color with a really odd fizzy head that quickly falls to become absolutely nothing. Honestly, this doesn't not look appealing in the glass, once poured it almost looks flat. Aromas of toasted sweet cereal grains alongside a dab of caramel and the standard spicy noble hop. Quite weak and not exactly appealing in any way. Boring, yet unoffensive.

First sip brings a rather sweet toasted cereal grain maltiness along with a subtle caramel. A touch of spicy hops works it way in on the way down. A bit stingy on the palate. It finishes with a lingering toasted grain flavor. Rather bland and watered down. Just not pleasant overall.

Mouthfeel is light with the same stingy carbonation that I mentioned in the flavor. This beer is just utterly lacking in any redeeming qualities. I can't even finish the rest of my glass, it's not drinkable in the least. I don't understand why this even exists. One of the worst beers to ever touch my lips. I'm not sure what is worse, the radio ad campaign or the beer itself. Seriously avoid at all costs, this is not worth your time or money.

2.63/5  rDev +10%

Poured out a brownish and bubbly amber , not much of a head. Bottle looks kinda kewl , wish the beer inside it was better. Smell is very light grain and adjunct. Taste is similar to regular ultra , not much taste at all. It is a little smoother and has a tiny bit of malt presence that regular ultra doesn't. Didn't taste any hop flavors. Slightly sweet aftertaste that quickly vanishes. This is drinkable( chuggable) but its just not got any flavor. I wouldn't buy it but i would grab it before a bud light or mich ultra reg. at a party.

3.73/5  rDev +56.1%

Well, I am surprised by all the negative reviews.
I just tried it last night while watching a movie with my girlfriend. She bought it after the store clerk told her it was selling like crazy.

I was eating potatoes chips with onion dip so it didn't taste that bad after potato chips. Better than a soda and with less sugar.

1.78/5  rDev -25.5%

Hanging at a bar in Weirton what are you going to order to drink? Well I went with the beer that at least I could get a review on, even if it's an Ultra low carb amber. Appears Caramel amber with a white frothy head leaves scattered thin lace. Aroma is slightly toasted malt touch of caramel mild creamy note touch of generic hop profile. Taste is ultra light on flavor with a weird sweetness and clean low hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is once again ultra light airy with artificial infused carbonation. Drinkability well, I can't taste my beer it's alright I was just giving it a shot but more of the same shite from the big boys.

1.56/5  rDev -34.7%

Oh wow, the best thing about this one was the nicely packaged bottle with a date of 1/26/06. After that – downhill we go. Yep, looks like seltzer water with brown coloring added to it. Absolutely no aroma at all. Very close to tasteless, but I did pick up some pathetic hints of a sweet malt – it may have been artificial flavoring added.

This seltzer water somehow had a 5% abv, it was made to give a buzz to the <active people> w/o having to actually drink anything. Thank God it was a freebie, I can't imagine paying hard earned cash for this crap.

1.6/5  rDev -33.1%

Okay-- I felt an obligation to force myself to try this "upscale-looking" offering from the makers of Budweiser, despite my religion. I had high hopes-- a new US competitor to Killians, possiblly?

WRONG.

The head-- foamy and bubbly but more like dirty dish-water.

Appearance-- something like Budweiser after someone cut their finger and quickly put it into the glass of beer to sanitize it.

Smell-- cleaned out the nasal hair problem.

Taste-- first impression was that someone had suddenly hosed my mouth out with concrete-cleaning solution. Then my throat became instantly sore, like I was getting sick from a virus. I wasn't. It was just this beer.

Taste 2-- okay, searching for qualities and characteristics and subtle traits--- still searching.... still searching... "none." Something like ... what I described, in "Appearance," above.

I let it set for a little while, thinking that just MAYBE, after all of the zealous CO-2 overdose subsided, it might show some character. I returned a little while later. The head had subsided. Now it looked more like globs of white mold floating on the surface.

Taste 3-- like old beer with (see above-- globs of white mold floating on the surface).

I tried the smell again. Hints of Diet Hawaiian Punch.

Congratulations, Michelob / Anheuser-Busch, you have succeeded in making a beer that is not only worse than Budweiser, but FAR worse.

I'll see if maybe later, I can come up with more constructive critiques and comments-- once I'm back from the E.R.

2.73/5  rDev +14.2%

Apearance: Pale copper color, superbly clear, with a small off-white head, slight, slow-rising carbonation, and excellent, glass-coating lace.

Aroma: Toasty malt, with slight tropical fruit, and vegetal notes.

Taste: Opens with a slight toasted malt note, some light fruitiness, followed by a wave of mild bitterness. Finishes with a very slight, lingering bitter note.

Mouth feel: Thin and watery, not much here, with a mild sting of carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: More like a mineral water than a beer, character is lacking.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

My fiancee tried this as well, she indicated that she needed a stout to wash the taste of this beer out of her mouth.

2.34/5  rDev -2.1%

It was the only thing that the sports bar offered that I had not already tried. I should have gone with something else--anything else. The beer lacks optomism, comming straight from the bottle. lightly browned, thin, fizzy carbonation...it looks like watered down cola. Aromas are faint but do resemble true malt, caramel, and nuts. Flavors don't hold the same promise as the aroma: grainy, husky, and vegetable flavors persist without the malt backbone to balance or mask the negative characters. Watery from the very first sip and never firms up. Finishes thin, grain, and husk like. Even for an American light beer, this is bad.

2.66/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a light auburn brown with hints of amber in the color. It has a small bleach white head made up of big fizzy carbonation bubbles. It is a nicer looking beer than most of the "Light Lagers" that I've had.

Smell: The smell is very hard to find. I got more of the olfactory sense of the beer in the aftertaste then in the aroma upfront. For the most part though it is about what you'd expect from a watered down Macro.

Taste: Truth is this beer is not as bad as I expected. I was ready to have a beer that would balance out my Average Rating by pulling it down significantly. I was surprised. This beer is not that bad. Mind you, it is not THAT good either. It is sweet but the sweetness is not the malty sweetness of an Amber Lager IMO it tastes more artificial. I am not sure why this is called amber other than some food coloring it is a macro light. If you like Orange juice and are served Orange drink you'd probably have the same reaction I get from this beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is about the same as every other thin light somewhat water light beer. It is crisp but the disturbing aftertaste prevents it from truly being refreshing.

Drinkability: If what you want is another light beer that is a slightly different color then here you go. I believe it is more of a gimmick to call this beer an amber but it has the same drinkability as you'd expect from ANY other A-B light beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.74/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz brown twist off bottle with a "Born On Date" on the back of the label.

A- Quick to foam but the lace and head retention is nearly non-assistant. Brilliantly clear dark amber color ... surprisingly darker than I thought this beer would have been.

S- Generic faint macro beer aroma ... clean with very little there.

T&M- Odd dextrin sweetness, crisp throughout with a bite. Light body and dry. Very little malt flavor and no hop character at all ... more of a processed bitterness. Slight redeeming flavor in the end but it vanishes as the after taste comes clean.

D- Its easy to drink something that is close to water ... no real off flavors, there is just nothing there. You don't drink this because you want a beer, you drink this because you are sucker. You drink this because you are sucked into this false sense that real beer will make you fat.

This is all we need more of, stupid sophomoric commercials to dumb beer down even more.

Humor is great but why do they think Neanderthals are the only ones that drink beer? This reminds me of low-carb pasta ... why eat something that tastes like utter crap because you are trying to watch you weight? Live for today ... don't drink low-carb or light beer.

Michelob Ultra Amber from Anheuser-Busch