Michelob Ultra Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest two-row and dark-roasted specialty malts for color, and a blend of imported and premium United States-grown noble aroma hops for balance and flavor.

Added by murphysbleachers on 01-26-2006

View: Beers
firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last
3.57/5  rDev +52.6%

Pours a clear amber color and kicks up a thick, off-white color head which then dissipates within a few minutes into a very thin film of foam on top of the beer.

Smells of two-row barley and caramel malts with light hops in the background.

Taste is pretty much a mirror of the flavor. Sweet malty flavor imparted by the caramel malts, a slight mineral water-like flavor in there as well and a decent (but not great) amount of hops provide a bitter contrast when you swallow. I has a light to medium mouthfeel.

As far as the new "ultra light" beers go (ie. Bud Select, MGD 64, Select 55, ect...) this is probably one of the better ones I've had.

2.83/5  rDev +20.9%

I'm trying to rate this in comparison to other light beers, because obviously compared to a real Amber Lager it would pale in comparison.

But the fact remains light beers hold a significant share of the market, and whether you're watching carbs, weight watchers points or whatever light beers have their place.

Among them in that category this one is better than most. It pours darker than a typical light beer and the taste while again, not comparing to a regular Amber, is still altogether more rich and malty than your standard light fare.

In terms of light beers only Sam Adams light comes to mind as being an altogether hands down better beer.

3.39/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

the apperance was not outstanding although not really bad for a macro

the smell was nice and significant

the taste was rather malty with a slight hint of sweetness... it did have a slight watered down taste to it but not as bad as some of the more common beers of Anheuser-Busch.

the mouthfeel was pretty average for a macro; water-esque with some fizz

the drinkability was rather good, not because of the great taste, it just went down rather easily

2.49/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Picked this up as a single at Kroger as part of a "make your own sampler" deal. I guess I was intrigued to see what it would be like. I already had several beers in my sampler that I knew would be good, so this was sort of a throwaway curiosity pick.

Pours what I would call more of an orange or a very light amber, with a foamy head that dissipates quickly. The lacing doesn't stick.

Crisp and clean in the mouth, but also watery. Very faint malt flavor, and a finish of leftover grains.

Really no reason to try this if you like the taste of beer. It's more something to guzzle down thoughtlessly. My advice: Cut your carbs elsewhere, and indulge in a decent brew from time to time. I moved on from this one very quickly, and won't look back.

Interesting sidenote: I offered a taste to someone who only drinks light, just as a test, not telling her what it was. She usually hates the beers I drink, but she liked this one.

3.06/5  rDev +30.8%

1.98/5  rDev -15.4%

So I was in the store looking for a 6-pack for the games this weekend and I saw this on sale. Normally $5 but with the sale it was only $4, so what the hell let's give it a shot. Plus it's a light beer and the wife is getting on me about my beer belly, so this might be a nice compromise.

After drinking it I realized why it's discontinued, but mostly I was confused why was it even bottled and sold to the public. Not a good beer at all. Very light tasting, which is not what you expect or want in an amber at all. A weird aftertaste, no good feel, just a poor beer all around.

1.41/5  rDev -39.7%

Well where should I begin. Im not that much of a technical reviewer so here it goes. somewhat technical but not like some people. ok so here it goes. this beer is just somewhat darker than mich ultra or budweiser or (fill in the blank ricey pisswater beer here). same quickly disappearing head as most macros with no lacing whatsoever. the taste...well is there any?? the taste is kinda lilke amber bock mixed with mich ultra to create a beer with a little more flavor than reguar mich ultra but not as much as amber bock or mich lager. what can I say I bought this to switch things up (as in the realm of my budget beers) normally I try to stay away from all macros period favoring Paulaner Salvator Dopplebock or a classic Sam Adams Boston Lager. Final verdict on Mich Ultra Amber: This beer sucks!!!

2.38/5  rDev +1.7%

A-Very surprisingly,after tasting it first, amberish gold color.

S-Slight smell of hops but thats about it.

T-Very slight taste of caramel,metallic kinda hoppy

M-Very carbonated very very crisp

D-I'd much rather drink a budweiser not very good to drink.

3.08/5  rDev +31.6%

2.76/5  rDev +17.9%

This is a another attemp to bring a different type of light beer to the masses. This beer has a little more flavor than most light beers. Good amber color, the carbonation is just right, slight malt taste but as usual with the typical weak waterdown flavor of a light beer. It is one of the better light beers out there but when you compare it to a another amber light like Sam Adams it falls way short . The best thing you can say about this beer it is easy to drink .

2.16/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Carbonated,bubbly head that went away quick. It's clear and not really amber... it's rather darker. A bit more appealing than the average ultra light beer though.

Smell: Really doesn't have a lot of smell.

Taste: Not a lot of it. Really... I guess I'm no connisseur, but aside from the tiny bit of bitter aftertaste there's not a lot.

Mouthfeel: Like seltzer water.

Drinkability: Easy to drink... just like water! Still, it's not offensive, and I'd rather have it and a fair amount fewer calories than a bad beer with a lot of calories. But I'd rather have a good beer, no doubt about it.

2.26/5  rDev -3.4%

Not as tasty as the original Michelob Ultra. In fact, you cannot taste any malt or barley at all in this. It really just tastes like water and weak hops. The flavor is not too offensives, but it doesn't have the fresh, clean flavor of Michelob Ultra. It tastes a little stale.

2.82/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Good beer to try if 1 likes an IPA style beer but wants to cut calories. Has a decent IPA taste for those who enjoy IPAs vs domestic lagers. It's a far cry from even Yuengling or Sam Adams, but the low carb 95 calories facts of this beer really make this a good compromise. This beer has about 30 less calories than Sam Light light so not a bad choice to have in the fridge. My score is rounded slightly up because of the low cal issue. As others mentioned, it has a carbonated taste that detracts little from its natural taste.

2.59/5  rDev +10.7%

I've had this in a bar a few times. I have some hard core beers that I drink, but I have the need to have something light on occasion. So far I would put this on the top of might light beer light beer list. So it isn't pretty to look at, nothing special about the head, just typical waterly looking bubbles with probably food coloring for the dark color. It almost has no smell, a hint of something unpleasant, but I can't place it. Mouth feel is like water, as bad as regular Ultra resembled water. Now, as I'm being objective here and not hoping great things for a light beer... It actually doesn't taste that bad. Even though it is light it has some characteristics in the taste that make is reasonable to drink. I rated the drinkability high as well because you could drink this all day due to it's lightness. I wish they would carry it at the basketball arena because when you got to drink something this would make a good choice...

...stressing... for a macro brew light beer.

2.13/5  rDev -9%

My wife and I are dieting, so I needed to find something lower in calories and carbs than the ales I usually consume nightly. On paper Mich Ultra Amber seemed to be the best fit in that it's darker than most light beers, is low in carbs, is low cal, and is also 5% ABV.

I had it straight from the bottle and was pretty surprised by the taste. It doesn't have any of the sour/bitter taste most macro lights have. Reminds me quite a bit of Bass, but a little bit lighter...and with 41 fewer calories and 10 fewer carbs per bottle. Definitely my new session beer...at least until I reach my target weight.

Update 5/23/10 - They've reformulated this to lower the calories further. It's been reduced from 114 calories to 95 and the alcohol was cut from 5% to 3.2%. Unfortunately this came at the expense of taste. It's pretty watery tasting now. Not much different than regular Mich Ultra. While I was pleasantly surprised with the original formula, this new one is really bad.

1.12/5  rDev -52.1%

This stuff looks like light brown carbonated water, smells faintly of beer and tastes like stale water with a mild alkaline bite. Has the mouth feel of Perrier. I was offered this at a friend's house. He is not my friend anymore. This is a chick beer for chicks that wanna be beer drinkers. If this were the only beer in the world I would drink wine. Cannot recommend.

3.73/5  rDev +59.4%

Well, I am surprised by all the negative reviews.
I just tried it last night while watching a movie with my girlfriend. She bought it after the store clerk told her it was selling like crazy.

I was eating potatoes chips with onion dip so it didn't taste that bad after potato chips. Better than a soda and with less sugar.

1.25/5  rDev -46.6%

i guess if you want to get a buzz, and you must drink "beer" to do it, and this is the only beer available then OK, drink it up. My son had a sip and suggested that it was the "idea of the taste of beer, with fizzy water added and left in the frig. That about summed it up for me.

Not even good for a knock back after mowing the lawn on a hot summers afternoon. Does this mean I'll have to pour the rest of the 12 pack down the drain. #[email protected]%

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last