Bud Dry | Anheuser-Busch

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002

Reviews: 58 | Ratings: 122
4.6/5  rDev +98.3%

I drink this beer whenever I can. We know of only one magic location that has this within 200 miles of Raleigh, where I live. It is definitely worth the drive to obtain this refreshing beverage. We usually buy the store out whenever we visit it. This beer is excellent for tailgating, and has mojo'd the Carolina Hurricanes to several wins this year. This beer pours wonderfully(straight down your throat), and has a nice aroma, not unlike the most awesome thing you have ever smelled(whatever that may be, it varies from person to person). Mouthfeel got a 4 because it tastes so great that I can't help but swallow it down, much like when you are eating lobster or filet mignon. I have never seen the color of Bud Dry as I am compelled to transfer it straight from the container to my mouth, but I imagine the color to be much like a rainbow, encompassing the best of each part of the spectrum. If you are looking for a good time, add Bud Dry to your party. Also, if you see it anywhere in the state of NC, please send me a note. Thanks!

4.4/5  rDev +89.7%

As a recent college graduate, I am unable to afford the ESBs and pale ales I would love to be drinking. For most of my college career, if faced with a selection of macros, or the desire to drink with near-empty pockets, my first choice was always PBR.

Bud dry costs less than $6.50 for a 12 pack--less than many brands of bottled water--and actually tastes pretty decent. By far the best flavor and quality in its price range.

In my opinion, in taste, mouthfeel and drinkability, bud dry easily out-ranks most other AB products, especially the other "Bud" labeled products.

After a night of relatively heavy partying (i.e. a 12 pack of bud dry each) with my girlfriend recently, we both woke up with only the slightest hangover.

in conclusion: try bud dry. It's not great beer, but at $6.23, beer it is.

4.26/5  rDev +83.6%

This has been my go to beer last few months cause it tastes like a Bud but much less pricewise. The only downfall is it is hard to find as only one store in my area carries it. I love this beer though and wish it was more widely avalable like Bud Select or Ice which are not nearly as good.

4.26/5  rDev +83.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bud Dry is actually a great choice for the smooth very taste and excellent mouth feel when very cold. There is no bite to this beer and it is an excellent alternative to Texas Budweiser. I prefer the12 ounce longnecks, but I have tied the Quart bottle and 16 ounce can and been very satisfied. The can seems to provide a little more flavor on the front end. I have also tried a variety of "born on dates" and prefer the fresher dates.

3.95/5  rDev +70.3%

A good smooth beer that goes down easy. It may not have a sophisticated taste; it may not win any awards, but it simply an enjoyable beer. It is the type of beer you could drink by the 6 or 12 pack with no problem.
Bud Dry is a first rate beer in a second rate group. It is indeed macro-swill, but as macro-swill goes, its pretty good.

3.87/5  rDev +66.8%

dont know why this beer is retired on BA...Bud Dry is still available in Texas as of 2012.

this is a great beer for mixing with tomato juice or V-8 to make a red beer or chelada and i think thats why its still sold in Texas...red beer is big down there

$5.59 a 6 pack of cans at Doc's in Lubbock Texas as of 01/12. flavor is ok but i love the dry aftertaste...especially when you add salt and Clamato or V-8

3.68/5  rDev +58.6%

For the open-minded this can be a delightful beer to drink. Unfortunately, it is only available in cans in the New Orleans area. Bud Dry has a clear, sparkling straw appearance and a standard Budweiser head. The aroma is subtly sharp and pleasant. The taste is clean, crisp, and delicate, but does not have the awful mineral water characteristics of light beers. Also, it has a comforting alcohol level, similar to the regular Budweiser. Mouth feel is watery, of course, but not the least bit foul. Bud Dry is most excellent.

RJT

3.64/5  rDev +56.9%

Bud Dry pours a faint and very light straw yellow from a brown 12 oz bottle with a twist off cap. Head goes to around two fingers then back to a ring at the surface of the Beer.

Nose is a pleasant grainy hopsy, with a slight whiff of alcohol. Palate is an up front dry bitter then sweet corn with pinch of barley malt. The carbonation levels where right on, and very welcomed. After taste is long and drying, but not to the point of puckering.

I found that Bud Dry exceeded my expectations and was a pleasant Beer drinking experience on this hot and humid ninety four degree day.

3.6/5  rDev +55.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Quart bottle, poured into a liter mug, Born on Date of 8/25/08,

A: Pours pale yellow with an average white head with no lacing, average head retention, not bad for a macro lager.

S: Light, get some mild malt and rice, carbonic acid.

T: Taste is quite good, especially in this style. Gives a mild bread malt profile, light grassy hops, with a mineral sulfur dryness I really liked.

M: Dry as the name says, light-bodied, refershing and easy to drink, watery.

D: This is surprisingly good, probably my favourite AB product so far. Quart for $1.79, no doubt I'd go for this again if I'm on a budget.

3.54/5  rDev +52.6%

Poured the Bud Dry from a can into a clean goblet. The beer is an average yellow/golden color with a short white head that dissipates quicky but will pop up again if the glass is moved, there is alot of carbination. Aroma is nice with slight fruit notes. The taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability is what you would expect from one of Anheuser-Busch's standard brews, I did get a little more hops from this brew than say a Bud Light.
Another safe pleasant offering from our biggest brewer.

3.45/5  rDev +48.7%

The late 80’s and early 90’s seems to have been an oddly faddish time for macro brews; almost as many new beers disappeared shortly after they were introduced. A-B’s Bud Dry, like Miller’s Red Dog, is one of the unlikely survivors.

I have only seen Bud Dry for sale in glamorous Worcester, MA by the can in 30-packs for $16. The above pictured bottle may or may not be a vintage piece, but in fact the hilarious late-80’s label itself is still unchanged, and that’s a pity because it is none too pretty. It is a very pale imitation of the classic Budweiser design, with a lot of italicized swoopiness added on to make the can look as though it has been shot out of a gun. The overall look is more appropriate to a trendy soft drink or gent’s shave cream rather than beer.

The beer itself looks just fine, particularly if you’re used to the look of regular Bud, because parked side by side it’s pretty much impossible to tell them apart visually. Same clear pale cheery gold brightness. The scent is also very similar, a very light ‘beer’ smell with an herbal overlay, not at all unpleasant.

The flavor is similar as well, but here the differences are easier to detect. Both have a light maltiness, but Bud Dry has an even lighter hop top note and as its name suggests, is drier. The flash of juiciness you get in Bud is alas absent here; but in its place is a straight rice note, ending with an immaculate finish. The Bud texture is still there though, lively but not overdone, making for practically limitless potability.

All the other Buds in A-B’s lineup are a fairly stiff $21 for a 30-pack, making Bud Dry a welcome relief to the Rumpole budget; one wonders why they didn’t market it as Busch Dry. No matter; one can get much of the Bud goodness here and save almost a quarter to boot. Some may even prefer the leaner taste that comes with the leaner price. A-B is coy about the abv for this, unlike for regular Bud, where it’s right on the label; it might not be a full 5%, but I’d be surprised if it were any slower than Busch’s 4.6%. On the whole, a nice find for those who like Budweiser but can’t quite make a regular habit of spending the full amount for the original.

3.3/5  rDev +42.2%

This is really not a bad beer, for what it is. Same price as Busch, and probably better. Only thing is, I'm really not getting the "dry".

Way better than Bud Light and cheaper. Bout the same price as Select, maybe as good.

Will drink again when looking for budget beer.

3.07/5  rDev +32.3%

Pale yellow with a skimpy head of white fizz that quickly burns off. Untoasted grain is very faint in the aroma , but that is all there is here. Squeaky clean tasting, barley, adjuncts (rice I'm guessing?) and faint hop bitterness make up the flavor profile. Light bodied and effervescent, typical for the style. This is an easy to drink beer and I think if the point is to make an easy drinking dry pale lager to rival Japanese imports it is a success.

3.02/5  rDev +30.2%

Bud Dry is the best that bud makes.
Nothing much to talk about the appearance,but the drinkability
was uncanny crisp and refreshing ,also verry dry .
its not bad for bud .

I realy like the dry aftertaste

I first tried this beer at a tour of their brewery in St Louis. I liked it. I remember my family drinking Rheingold in the New England areas in the early '70s.

I guess this beer will always be a guilty pleasure. It truly shows that there is always something out there for everyone.

Seemed darker than other 'dry' beers I've tried. Purchased at CVS for 11.99 a 30 pack. I put three in the freezer to have right away. Bad decision. After the other 27 chilled for 3 days I was satisfied. The beer had a tremendously easy, or should I say, acceptable adjunt quality. The sweetness was not too powerful. The hops were medium if not less noticable. I consumed six after a dinner of roasted duck and mint dressing. Was very, very content noticing the alcohol content creeping up after the 4th one. I did notice a faint hint of barley adjunct and some acceptable, but vague, residue of aftertaste.

2.98/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall, there's not much to say about this that hasn't been said about regular Budweiser. To me, they are pretty close to being the same thing. And what is this dry part?

The main selling point for me is the price. It is cheap. Oh is it cheap. A 6-pack of 16 ounce cans is over 2 dollars cheaper than a 6-pack of Budweiser bottles. Not great for enjoying the taste, but great for getting a buzz with friends.

Meh.

Update-

This beer is actually starting to grow on me, and when grabbing beer for drinking with other people, this is the one we go straight to. $4.99 for a 12-pack is a steal, and one that actually tastes pretty good, too.

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Pale straw golden color with a decent head with lots of fat bubbles constantly rising to the surface to renew it, decent lace. Aroma is very faint, a little grain and some very faint hops. Taste begins with a little grain, hops, and faint alcohol, overlaid by strong carbonation, finishes a bit dry with a little hop bitterness. Not a very substantial beer, but easy to drink and inoffensive. A pleasant hot weather beer that is far better than Budweiser.

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours straw yellow with a thin white head that descends to a vanishing patch. Glass is left clean. Typical macro look, at best.

The smell is clean...very, very clean. Can't smell "bad" if it doesn't smell. There may be a hint of something "beerish", but it's certainly mild.

Same with the taste. Clean. Maybe a hint of grain? Not sweet, though. Dry, as advertised. Clean, crisp...finish (of course, it didn't much start, but...) Can't taste "off" or "bad" if it doesn't "taste".

Well, they have the "dry" part down. Smooth, dry and clean as a whistle. I easily drank a few of these, as it was a hot summer day. Inoffensive, and refreshingly dry. I prefer my beers to have taste, though, so I'm not planning on going back to this one. If you're into flavorless, easy-drinking, beers, go for it...(compared to some other macros, it could be worse - could be better, too though.)

2.92/5  rDev +25.9%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head and lots of carbonation. Smell is of grains and corn, some sweetness. Taste is very mild, some corn and grains, a touch sweet with just a hint of bitterness at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall is an average beer from the kings of mediocraty.

2.9/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can with a born on date on the bottom of the can.

Appearance: Very thin head after some quick rising foam, filtered clarity is ordinary for this type of beer.

Smell: Coarse huskiness of grain, dusty flour and adjuncts.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Driest beer I have ever had, I was not surprised either though its dryness is right up there with some Japanese beers. Crispness is right on target with a very light body. Minimal malt flavour and a dusting hop bitterness to balance. Clean neutral flavour which must be rice. Immaculate after taste.

Notes: Not bad for what it is, they brewed exactly what they were going for … a drier version of Bud. I’d pick this over Bud, hopefully I’ll never be put in that position.

2.9/5  rDev +25%

Bud Dry. It's like Budweiser, but less! Less flavor, less color, less smell.... Everything but less alcohol content. It's like water that will give me a buzz if I drink enough - except that beer will dehydrate you? Like most beers of this type, I reccomend it for a good yardwork session. It's all those blissfully wonderful things Anheuser Busch says about their beers on television - light, crisp, refreshing.... still.

After I run a few miles tomorrow, I think I'll stick to water.

2.87/5  rDev +23.7%

Pours out a light yellow with a small white head that fizzles down.

Smell. slightly sweet and slightly grainy. other than that pretty neutral and what you would expect.

Taste. More of what you would expect. Though it says dry, i find it does still have a touch of sweetness. Other than that, a middle of the road example of the style. Aftertaste is dry.

Mouthfeel. body is thin and carbanation is high.

Overall. The reason why i buy this beer is because it is half the price of bud, and tastes the same. If i am looking for a macro to have, i immediately check for this (or schitz)...same stuff, but youre not paying for the advertisments.

2.73/5  rDev +17.7%

I always remember the "why ask why, try bud dry" commercials from my youth and now I finally found some of the beer, and why oh why did I buy it? Pure nostalgia! The beer poured a straw like yellow color with a slight head that faded very fast. Smelt of grain and sweet corn with a slight hint of skunk thrown in as well. The flavor and the mouthfeel were actually not bad for what it is, it is very dry in the finish and less malty than I was expecting it to be. Truth be told, it's better than Busch and if I was in a pinch and needed some cheap libations this would be a viable choice...just don't go all over town trying to track it down, it's not that good!

2.71/5  rDev +16.8%

Bready, grainy, a bit of rice and a bit of corn; I'm not quite sure where the "Dry" comes from either (quoting previous reviews), although I definitely don't think it's better than Busch or Busch Light.

Tastes like Bud Light but it has more drinkability, and it's a bit cheaper at most spots I've found. Also better than Bud Ice, but not as cheap as it. Somewhere in the middle of those two types is where Bud Dry lies.

Mouthfeel is very airy and unpresent, although it has a little bit of crispness to it which gives it a couple positive points.

Overall, it's another Budweiser that tastes how you would expect. Get Pabst or Busch instead if you're on a budget.

Bud Dry from Anheuser-Busch