Bud Dry | Anheuser-Busch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002

1.5/5  rDev -35.3%

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%

1.92/5  rDev -17.2%

Given by my father. A must drink over a Father-Son conversation. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Extremely pale yellow. Very clear and overcarbonated. A fizzy head that disipated quickly. Lightly malty, vegetol, and grainy to the nose. Flavors are barely detectable to cereal grains, vegtables (corn). Grainy in the body and finish. It does finish dry and flavorless. An anorexic beer. There isn't anything there to like or dislike.

1.82/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains adjuncts, light malts, grain and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste mainly consists of the typical adjunct sweetness along with bready flavors of grain and a light malt character. The hops presence is very mild even for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to this beer, mild kick, not really sure what difference the "DryBrew" process makes since it seems like just another fizzy yellow beer from A-B.

2.9/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can with a born on date on the bottom of the can.

Appearance: Very thin head after some quick rising foam, filtered clarity is ordinary for this type of beer.

Smell: Coarse huskiness of grain, dusty flour and adjuncts.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Driest beer I have ever had, I was not surprised either though its dryness is right up there with some Japanese beers. Crispness is right on target with a very light body. Minimal malt flavour and a dusting hop bitterness to balance. Clean neutral flavour which must be rice. Immaculate after taste.

Notes: Not bad for what it is, they brewed exactly what they were going for … a drier version of Bud. I’d pick this over Bud, hopefully I’ll never be put in that position.

2.7/5  rDev +16.4%

TheManiacalOne was kind enough to send me some new CANs to keep The CANQuest glugging along on its way to # 500 and this being New Beer Sunday, I felt like I had to indulge in some CANned beer.

From the CAN: "Dry Brewed and Cold Filtered. Brewed by our unique DryBrew(TM) process from the choicest hops, select grains and best barley malt." You CAN trademark anything, I suppose. It also got me to wondering about Michelob Dry, a staple in my Alameda, CA fridge in the late 1980's. I have not seen it for a long time, nor does it exist on BA, so it may be long defunct.

More fizzy yellow beer from the fine folks at A-B! I got just better than a finger of bone-white head with lousy retention from the Glug. Color was a lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity from the masters of filtration. Nose was lager sweet with all kinds of adjuncts, including corn as the main one. How CAN this be dry if it is that sweet in the nose?!? Truth in advertising, anyone? Mouthfeel was medium and it tasted like just so many other AALs on The CANQuest (TM) to date. Dry? Maybe semi-dry, but not white wine dry. The taste was rather bland, slightly lager sweet but with off-flavors of corn, especially. It was not in-your-face offensive, but it did not inspire me to wish for more. The finish was semi-dry and the whole thing was kind of ho-hum. Next!

2.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Fizzy yellow beer with a thin short lived white head leaves specks of lacing. Aroma: Grainy sweetness corn and rice adjuncts kicking with a husky malt tone. Taste: Sweet blend of two row malt and corn very evident sweetness is bland and finishes extremely dry with a touch of hops. Mouthfeel: Thin body over carbonated completely uninteresting. Drinkability: I wouldn't recommend this beer to my friends or foes in that matter, but a better and cheaper alternative to Bud only offered in select markets.

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours straw yellow with a thin white head that descends to a vanishing patch. Glass is left clean. Typical macro look, at best.

The smell is clean...very, very clean. Can't smell "bad" if it doesn't smell. There may be a hint of something "beerish", but it's certainly mild.

Same with the taste. Clean. Maybe a hint of grain? Not sweet, though. Dry, as advertised. Clean, crisp...finish (of course, it didn't much start, but...) Can't taste "off" or "bad" if it doesn't "taste".

Well, they have the "dry" part down. Smooth, dry and clean as a whistle. I easily drank a few of these, as it was a hot summer day. Inoffensive, and refreshingly dry. I prefer my beers to have taste, though, so I'm not planning on going back to this one. If you're into flavorless, easy-drinking, beers, go for it...(compared to some other macros, it could be worse - could be better, too though.)

1.95/5  rDev -15.9%

2.92/5  rDev +25.9%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head and lots of carbonation. Smell is of grains and corn, some sweetness. Taste is very mild, some corn and grains, a touch sweet with just a hint of bitterness at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall is an average beer from the kings of mediocraty.

1.75/5  rDev -24.6%

2.4/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours an ultra clear pale yellow brew. Looks like Budweiser.

Smell is mildly sweet mild grain and that is about all.

Taste is less sweet than Budweiser, mild grains and a clean finish. No hops tasted.

Mouthfeel is Budweiser.

Drinkable in a bland sort of way.

3.6/5  rDev +55.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Quart bottle, poured into a liter mug, Born on Date of 8/25/08,

A: Pours pale yellow with an average white head with no lacing, average head retention, not bad for a macro lager.

S: Light, get some mild malt and rice, carbonic acid.

T: Taste is quite good, especially in this style. Gives a mild bread malt profile, light grassy hops, with a mineral sulfur dryness I really liked.

M: Dry as the name says, light-bodied, refershing and easy to drink, watery.

D: This is surprisingly good, probably my favourite AB product so far. Quart for $1.79, no doubt I'd go for this again if I'm on a budget.

2.05/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Yellow pour with a 1/4" white head full of tiny bubbles. Aroma was like nothing.

Super watery, I thought this was Bud Dry? Nothing in terms of discernable hopping, malt, beechwood nonsense. There isn't much substance to this, still prolly some rice and corn adjunct to lighten the malt bill, super carbonated mineral water stuff.

2.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.85/5  rDev -20.3%

Yellow pour, soft white head. Corny aroma, mildly sweet. Can't discern what separates dry from regular Bud at this point, all looks and smells the same.

Further complicating the nomenclature, the beer tastes watery, the mildest of hop connotations, the mildest of malt (seems mostly corn) presence. I liken this to the Simpsons episode where all the Duff varieties come from the same vat of beer. I doubt anyone, even a professional judge could pick Bud Dry out from Bud Light in a blind tasting.

Not horribly offensive, but I can't figure out why these cost what they do, there is no ingredients and no advertising budget for this stuff. . . so why does it cost almost as much as SNPA? Bud Light with a different label design is the conclusion.

1.45/5  rDev -37.5%

A strange beer to search for, I know, but I've been wanting to try Bud Dry ever since I was 7 years old. Yes, 7. Back when the smell of beer was absolutely repugnant and the thought of being drunk terrified me nearly as much as the thought of being dead. For some reason, those lame Bud Dry commercials really appealed to me. The slogan--"Why Ask Why; Try Bud Dry"--stuck in my head. It just seemed neat, somehow. Not quite cool or appetizing. Just neat.

It was 9 more years until I was of the age that I would want to drink, and by that point Bud Dry had been pulled off the national stage and (to the best of my knowledge) was available only in it native Texas. I've never been to Texas. So, umm, that's that.

But then I saw a thirty pack of this just sitting in a cooler in Dickeyville, WI when I was on a New Glarus run. 12 bucks? Sure, what the hell. Someone will drink it.

Regular old AB pour. Light gold, almost seltzery. No head.

Smells like AB funk grain with the teeniest tiniest hint of hop and a little acrid kiss of exceedingly dry rubbing alcohol (hence the name? Probably not.)

Tastes almost exactly like it smells. Not even as tolerable as Bud Heavy. Like old, stale Bud Ice that's had a little cheap gin added to it.

It went down okay, consider its awful taste. And I didn't get any of the trademark AB stomach cramps. But this is still a subpar beer, even for its price. You can get Old Style, Pabst, Red Dog, and Special Export for cheaper.

1.32/5  rDev -43.1%

The beer pours from the 12-ounce brown bottle a limpid gold with a modest white frothy head and the left over lace a thin sheet. Nose is sweet malt, fresh and clean, start is lightly sweet and the top skeletal. Finish is caustic in its acidity, hops benign and the aftertaste dry, it has been almost 4 years since I sampled one of these, now I know why.

1.34/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours from a 16oz tallboy can a very clear light yellow color with a large white head that displays surprisingly nice retention for a while till it fades to near nothingness.

The nose is pretty nappy, as a bunch of light fruitiness and wet grains are present. Even for an AAL, this one smells like a fart.

Taste is not pleasant either...pretty offensive actually. It's not all that "dry" finishing as I get quite a bit of sweetness. There is virtually no hop balancing and the main flavors are carbonation and cardboard topped with a bit of corn syrup. Pretty sure my sink will be drinking about half this can. I see no reason why anyone should drink this beer, there are plenty of better adjunct lager options out there.

Bud Dry from Anheuser-Busch