Bud Dry | Anheuser-Busch

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 58 | Ratings: 122
4.4/5  rDev +89.7%

As a recent college graduate, I am unable to afford the ESBs and pale ales I would love to be drinking. For most of my college career, if faced with a selection of macros, or the desire to drink with near-empty pockets, my first choice was always PBR.

Bud dry costs less than $6.50 for a 12 pack--less than many brands of bottled water--and actually tastes pretty decent. By far the best flavor and quality in its price range.

In my opinion, in taste, mouthfeel and drinkability, bud dry easily out-ranks most other AB products, especially the other "Bud" labeled products.

After a night of relatively heavy partying (i.e. a 12 pack of bud dry each) with my girlfriend recently, we both woke up with only the slightest hangover.

in conclusion: try bud dry. It's not great beer, but at $6.23, beer it is.

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours straw yellow with a thin white head that descends to a vanishing patch. Glass is left clean. Typical macro look, at best.

The smell is clean...very, very clean. Can't smell "bad" if it doesn't smell. There may be a hint of something "beerish", but it's certainly mild.

Same with the taste. Clean. Maybe a hint of grain? Not sweet, though. Dry, as advertised. Clean, crisp...finish (of course, it didn't much start, but...) Can't taste "off" or "bad" if it doesn't "taste".

Well, they have the "dry" part down. Smooth, dry and clean as a whistle. I easily drank a few of these, as it was a hot summer day. Inoffensive, and refreshingly dry. I prefer my beers to have taste, though, so I'm not planning on going back to this one. If you're into flavorless, easy-drinking, beers, go for it...(compared to some other macros, it could be worse - could be better, too though.)

4.6/5  rDev +98.3%

I drink this beer whenever I can. We know of only one magic location that has this within 200 miles of Raleigh, where I live. It is definitely worth the drive to obtain this refreshing beverage. We usually buy the store out whenever we visit it. This beer is excellent for tailgating, and has mojo'd the Carolina Hurricanes to several wins this year. This beer pours wonderfully(straight down your throat), and has a nice aroma, not unlike the most awesome thing you have ever smelled(whatever that may be, it varies from person to person). Mouthfeel got a 4 because it tastes so great that I can't help but swallow it down, much like when you are eating lobster or filet mignon. I have never seen the color of Bud Dry as I am compelled to transfer it straight from the container to my mouth, but I imagine the color to be much like a rainbow, encompassing the best of each part of the spectrum. If you are looking for a good time, add Bud Dry to your party. Also, if you see it anywhere in the state of NC, please send me a note. Thanks!

1.45/5  rDev -37.5%

A strange beer to search for, I know, but I've been wanting to try Bud Dry ever since I was 7 years old. Yes, 7. Back when the smell of beer was absolutely repugnant and the thought of being drunk terrified me nearly as much as the thought of being dead. For some reason, those lame Bud Dry commercials really appealed to me. The slogan--"Why Ask Why; Try Bud Dry"--stuck in my head. It just seemed neat, somehow. Not quite cool or appetizing. Just neat.

It was 9 more years until I was of the age that I would want to drink, and by that point Bud Dry had been pulled off the national stage and (to the best of my knowledge) was available only in it native Texas. I've never been to Texas. So, umm, that's that.

But then I saw a thirty pack of this just sitting in a cooler in Dickeyville, WI when I was on a New Glarus run. 12 bucks? Sure, what the hell. Someone will drink it.

Regular old AB pour. Light gold, almost seltzery. No head.

Smells like AB funk grain with the teeniest tiniest hint of hop and a little acrid kiss of exceedingly dry rubbing alcohol (hence the name? Probably not.)

Tastes almost exactly like it smells. Not even as tolerable as Bud Heavy. Like old, stale Bud Ice that's had a little cheap gin added to it.

It went down okay, consider its awful taste. And I didn't get any of the trademark AB stomach cramps. But this is still a subpar beer, even for its price. You can get Old Style, Pabst, Red Dog, and Special Export for cheaper.

1.83/5  rDev -21.1%

I have to admit that this one is much like the bud ice beer that is also offered by Budwieser, I cannot say that this one is a great or even good beer, I would have to say to my students who are over 18 that this is a some what decent beer to get wasted on.

Seemed darker than other 'dry' beers I've tried. Purchased at CVS for 11.99 a 30 pack. I put three in the freezer to have right away. Bad decision. After the other 27 chilled for 3 days I was satisfied. The beer had a tremendously easy, or should I say, acceptable adjunt quality. The sweetness was not too powerful. The hops were medium if not less noticable. I consumed six after a dinner of roasted duck and mint dressing. Was very, very content noticing the alcohol content creeping up after the 4th one. I did notice a faint hint of barley adjunct and some acceptable, but vague, residue of aftertaste.

4.26/5  rDev +83.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bud Dry is actually a great choice for the smooth very taste and excellent mouth feel when very cold. There is no bite to this beer and it is an excellent alternative to Texas Budweiser. I prefer the12 ounce longnecks, but I have tied the Quart bottle and 16 ounce can and been very satisfied. The can seems to provide a little more flavor on the front end. I have also tried a variety of "born on dates" and prefer the fresher dates.

1.82/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

IWhy do they make so many of this wretched pale lager style. (Bud, Bud light, Michelob, Michelob Light, Michelob Ultra, Michelob Ultra Amber, Bud Dry, Bud Ice, Bud Ice Light)? Pours light yellow with little head. Not much aroma nor taste. This is also over-carbonated and mouthfeel suffers from it. Not a very good beer.

2.18/5  rDev -6%

12 ounce bottle from Rite Aid in Redlands

Had this after having Mickey's Ice and the two practically tasted the same to me

Thought they were more like malt liquors

Poured this into a frosted mug and very light brown color with practically no head

No smell and very little taste that did not last long

Could drink several of these if you wanted to, very light

2.25/5  rDev -3%

ho hum. not bad. nothing to write home about on this one. serve it ice cold on a hot day and it is fine. cheaper and better light lagers can be found with lil effort.

give it a try but dont have high expectations.

i wish i could find high quality lagers from AB lord knows they have the resources to make them if they wanted to.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

2.87/5  rDev +23.7%

Pours out a light yellow with a small white head that fizzles down.

Smell. slightly sweet and slightly grainy. other than that pretty neutral and what you would expect.

Taste. More of what you would expect. Though it says dry, i find it does still have a touch of sweetness. Other than that, a middle of the road example of the style. Aftertaste is dry.

Mouthfeel. body is thin and carbanation is high.

Overall. The reason why i buy this beer is because it is half the price of bud, and tastes the same. If i am looking for a macro to have, i immediately check for this (or schitz)...same stuff, but youre not paying for the advertisments.

Container Volume: 355ml

Lace: none

Color:
Reflected- yellow
Transmitted- yellow

Aroma: unpleasant

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: does not adjust

Taste: like all the other BudMillOors

Comments: not much better than BUD, why is this the most consumed style of beer? why do they continue to do a poor job in this style

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

3.45/5  rDev +48.7%

The late 80’s and early 90’s seems to have been an oddly faddish time for macro brews; almost as many new beers disappeared shortly after they were introduced. A-B’s Bud Dry, like Miller’s Red Dog, is one of the unlikely survivors.

I have only seen Bud Dry for sale in glamorous Worcester, MA by the can in 30-packs for $16. The above pictured bottle may or may not be a vintage piece, but in fact the hilarious late-80’s label itself is still unchanged, and that’s a pity because it is none too pretty. It is a very pale imitation of the classic Budweiser design, with a lot of italicized swoopiness added on to make the can look as though it has been shot out of a gun. The overall look is more appropriate to a trendy soft drink or gent’s shave cream rather than beer.

The beer itself looks just fine, particularly if you’re used to the look of regular Bud, because parked side by side it’s pretty much impossible to tell them apart visually. Same clear pale cheery gold brightness. The scent is also very similar, a very light ‘beer’ smell with an herbal overlay, not at all unpleasant.

The flavor is similar as well, but here the differences are easier to detect. Both have a light maltiness, but Bud Dry has an even lighter hop top note and as its name suggests, is drier. The flash of juiciness you get in Bud is alas absent here; but in its place is a straight rice note, ending with an immaculate finish. The Bud texture is still there though, lively but not overdone, making for practically limitless potability.

All the other Buds in A-B’s lineup are a fairly stiff $21 for a 30-pack, making Bud Dry a welcome relief to the Rumpole budget; one wonders why they didn’t market it as Busch Dry. No matter; one can get much of the Bud goodness here and save almost a quarter to boot. Some may even prefer the leaner taste that comes with the leaner price. A-B is coy about the abv for this, unlike for regular Bud, where it’s right on the label; it might not be a full 5%, but I’d be surprised if it were any slower than Busch’s 4.6%. On the whole, a nice find for those who like Budweiser but can’t quite make a regular habit of spending the full amount for the original.

2.02/5  rDev -12.9%

Yellow color, white head, little lacing. Smell is not terrible, its got a little bit of grain and corn coming through. Very bland taste, but that could be expected, it's pretty much Budweiser, dumbed down, as if we needed that, but it does have a small amount of flavor and no hops present. This is an odd way to try and balance a beer, more water to a watery flavor instead of more flavor balanced by hops, but whatever. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated with little body. I finished the whole can.

1.92/5  rDev -17.2%

Given by my father. A must drink over a Father-Son conversation. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Extremely pale yellow. Very clear and overcarbonated. A fizzy head that disipated quickly. Lightly malty, vegetol, and grainy to the nose. Flavors are barely detectable to cereal grains, vegtables (corn). Grainy in the body and finish. It does finish dry and flavorless. An anorexic beer. There isn't anything there to like or dislike.

2.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled this one along with a Bud Select – thought they may be the same. But no, they’re close cousins, but a little different. The Dry is clear, amber yellow, slightly lighter than the Select. Little less hoppy in the finish over Dry. Awfully plain and generally tasteless, but still, not an unpleasant beer, was drinkable outside for an afternoon session. Yeah, many more better ones are out there waiting.

2.9/5  rDev +25%

Bud Dry. It's like Budweiser, but less! Less flavor, less color, less smell.... Everything but less alcohol content. It's like water that will give me a buzz if I drink enough - except that beer will dehydrate you? Like most beers of this type, I reccomend it for a good yardwork session. It's all those blissfully wonderful things Anheuser Busch says about their beers on television - light, crisp, refreshing.... still.

After I run a few miles tomorrow, I think I'll stick to water.

1.32/5  rDev -43.1%

The beer pours from the 12-ounce brown bottle a limpid gold with a modest white frothy head and the left over lace a thin sheet. Nose is sweet malt, fresh and clean, start is lightly sweet and the top skeletal. Finish is caustic in its acidity, hops benign and the aftertaste dry, it has been almost 4 years since I sampled one of these, now I know why.

2.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Fizzy yellow beer with a thin short lived white head leaves specks of lacing. Aroma: Grainy sweetness corn and rice adjuncts kicking with a husky malt tone. Taste: Sweet blend of two row malt and corn very evident sweetness is bland and finishes extremely dry with a touch of hops. Mouthfeel: Thin body over carbonated completely uninteresting. Drinkability: I wouldn't recommend this beer to my friends or foes in that matter, but a better and cheaper alternative to Bud only offered in select markets.

2.4/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours an ultra clear pale yellow brew. Looks like Budweiser.

Smell is mildly sweet mild grain and that is about all.

Taste is less sweet than Budweiser, mild grains and a clean finish. No hops tasted.

Mouthfeel is Budweiser.

Drinkable in a bland sort of way.

2.15/5  rDev -7.3%

I tried this brew a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen it in years and wanted to give it a try. Too bad it only came in 30-packs.

Pale yellow color, with a slight scent of hops and alcohol. I'll give it props, it is a dry beer, but with little taste, it's pretty much irrelevant. The little flavor that was detected was that of your typical AB product, i.e. nothing special. It's worth a try if you have never had a dry beer, but see if you can get it in a sixer instead of a 30 pack incase you can't stand it.

2.15/5  rDev -7.3%

This is basically a drier version of bud heavy. I think that this one has less of a taste (a little easier to go down than its big brother). Nothing special with this one, it is what it says it is, a dry bud. Not the worst beer to have if the goal is putting down a large amount to forget your name.

1.7/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

How can I review a beer so horrible, It's macrogarbage at its worst. I don't even care to think about how bad this is, one taste will tell you, damn what am I thinking and drinking. Stick to WATER as with all AB products, it doesn't matter which beer it is Dry, Ice, Original, or Light. They are all lousy and of poor quality and that born on date doesn't matter if you drank it from the brewery itself.

2.9/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can with a born on date on the bottom of the can.

Appearance: Very thin head after some quick rising foam, filtered clarity is ordinary for this type of beer.

Smell: Coarse huskiness of grain, dusty flour and adjuncts.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Driest beer I have ever had, I was not surprised either though its dryness is right up there with some Japanese beers. Crispness is right on target with a very light body. Minimal malt flavour and a dusting hop bitterness to balance. Clean neutral flavour which must be rice. Immaculate after taste.

Notes: Not bad for what it is, they brewed exactly what they were going for … a drier version of Bud. I’d pick this over Bud, hopefully I’ll never be put in that position.

3.02/5  rDev +30.2%

Bud Dry is the best that bud makes.
Nothing much to talk about the appearance,but the drinkability
was uncanny crisp and refreshing ,also verry dry .
its not bad for bud .

I realy like the dry aftertaste

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast