Aruba Red | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Brewed exclusively for the Bahama Breeze Caribbean style restaurant chain.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-28-2002

4.31/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bahama Breeze in Radnor, PA

4.25/5  rDev +39.8%

3.85/5  rDev +26.6%

On tap at Bahama Breeze in Cherry Hill NJ..Amber colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma and taste both were mainly caramel malts.Refreshing smooth and tasty.I'm not sure why they say it's retired but I would recommend to try it if you are ever at a Bahama Breeze restaurant.

3.7/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

There's really not much to be said about this beer. I sometimes have it when I go to Bahama Breeze because it's less expensive than their other draft offerings. It's a basic amber lager that's a touch sweet but still well-balanced. The malt is bready, slightly toasty, and sweetish. There aren't many hops in there, but they do have a kind of behind-the-scenes presence. I'd equate it with a Yuengling Lager, but I think it's better than that. So, overall, it's an average, drinkable lager that's not really worth seeking out but might be worth trying if you've never had one.

3.66/5  rDev +20.4%

On tap at the Kennesaw, GA Bahama Breeze.

Pours a bright copperish red with a thin but persistent tan head. Nice lacing all the way down the 20oz glass. Smell is a light fruity malt and not much else.

Taste is a decent maltiness, fruity and crisp. Some light caramel notes. Even a tinge of bitter hops in the finish especially as it warms. A slight tinny quality to the finish. Mouth is light to medium bodied, somewhere in the middle. Way overcarbonated, unpleasantly so, but this smooths out as it warms a bit too. Actually improves as it warms, not common for an AB product. Not too bad at all. A nice red lager.

3.54/5  rDev +16.4%

Had this in an imperial pint at Bahama Breeze in Livonia, MI. I had no idea it was an A/B product (much as other reviewers here) until I logged in to post this review.

The beer pours a deep copper/red color. Decent, but not huge head, which dissipates quickly. This could be the way it's brewed, or could be the result of a not-completely-clean glass, which had several nucleation points causing a steady stream of bubbles up the inside. Either way, a thin layer of a head did stay, and the lacing down the side of the glass was pretty substantial.

The nose was surprisingly butterscotchy. I wasn't able to detect any roasted grains (which I expected from a red, even a red lager), no hops, no base malts... nothing but diacetyl. Almost smelled of butterscotch candy. I'm not sure that's what they were going for in this. It wasn't off-putting, by any means, but not what I was expecting to smell.

The smell didn't bode well for the taste, but again, I was surprised. Fortunately there was a tad more to it than just butterscotch candy. It was smooth and mellow, with a very mild malt flavor. My notes say "just a hint of bitterness, along the lines of many standard American lagers", so maybe I DID know it was an A/B product, I just didn't know I knew. Either way, you're not going to be overwhelmed by hops in this one. They're there at just detectable levels, but you don't really want to have your tounged ripped off by hops in a red anyway, so that seems appropriate to me. That slight bitterness fades quickly, and was finally replaced with the butterscotch I was expecting to taste all along. That diacetyl is what lingers after each sip.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, but oily, again likely from the diacetyl. This oilyness almost makes the beer seem to have more body than it truly does, but not quite.

Overall, this isn't really a bad beer. I would drink it again, especially at $2.50 an imperial. But I would likely try other beers first. More roastiness and less diacetyl would increase this score, in my opinion. Give one a try, though. You may be as surprised as I was.

3.36/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

No head and very little mouthfeel, but a light yet malt-centric body with lovely carbonation made for a very refreshing brew!

3.34/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev +9.5%

A: clear, amber brown. Quarter finger head.

S: malt and sweet caramel notes

T: malt and lager yeast taste. Some caramel hop (not much here) and honey notes. A semisweet finish.

M: crisp and a little watery, light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: drinkable. Pretty much a standard red with not a lot to say about it. One of the better beer choices at the bahama breeze in jax.

3.27/5  rDev +7.6%

A Served in a 20 oz. Glass at bar at Bahama Breeze. Red Amber color with 1 finger head dissipates in 60 seconds

S Mild, Red ale

T Mild hoppiness, muffled with some barley, good balanced red.

M moderate, good.

D good. I could have 5 of these and if I didn't plan on driving 4 hours from now I would.

I was impressed by this beer when I first had it at Bahama Breeze a few years ago. I returned tonight and decided to review it directly for ba. I was not as impressed tonight as I recall being before. Despite this it is certainly my favorite offering from Anheuser Busch.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%

Had this at Bahama Breeze in Cherry Hill, NJ

Pours a deep amber, clear as a bell, thick white head falling out quickly to light spotting of foam. Little real lacing.

The aroma is very mild, making it difficult to put specific characteristics in their places, but there's some malt and hops present. Just not much.

The flavor is pleasing and crisp, with malt present and hops leaving a bitterness on the tongue, a sensation that increases as the beer warms in the glass.

It's quite light bodied, passing by like water.

Overall, I'd have to say I enjoyed this beer, but when dining at the BB, there are better options available in bottle. Still, it went well with the dishes I tried, though was overpowered a bit by the Ropa Vieja I had for an entree. It's a good kick-back-and-sip beer, and was a pleasant surprise for an AB product. I'd seriously consider having it again.

3.15/5  rDev +3.6%

Tap at Bahama Breeze

Pours a clear amber red with small head. No real retention.

Smells like barley and mildly sweet grains.

Taste was barley with a bit of a coppery aftertaste. Subtle hops if any.

Moderate to thin with mild carbonation tingle.

So-so. Easy to drink a few. Nothing offensive but nothing to bring you back to it either.

3.12/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Nice brownish red. Little head.
S: Not a lot here. Watery and malty which is a theme with this beer.
T: Actually does not taste that bad. Not a complex taste but very sweet and malty. For a lager it's a pretty good showing. It is also a little watery.
M: Pretty watery and a little too bubbly but certainly doable.

Overall not a terrible beer. Doesn't bring a lot to the table but it's definitely drinkable. I could see that some people might find it too sweet but I think this could appeal to beer lovers as well as the average person.

3.11/5  rDev +2.3%

The house brew at Bahama Breeze in Duluth Georgia...

A- Pours a clear light amber color with a thin white foam head that leaves the slightest bit of lace.

S- A tiny bit of hoppy resin and citrus scents. A bit of a 'rye' like sourness that isn't offensive, but definitely unexpected.

T- A bright hoppy taste with hints of orange peel and sour rye. A sweet finish that was pretty strong.

M- Crisp and easy with an ok finish and a decent amount of carbonation.

D- Worth trying. I don't know if this beer was attempting to by 'rye like' but it did have a bit of sourness to it. Not off-putting just not what I was expecting.

Aruba Red from Anheuser-Busch