Michelob Ultra Pure Gold

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Michelob Ultra Pure GoldMichelob Ultra Pure Gold
Notes: Made with organic grains from the country's finest fields, Michelob ULTRA Pure Gold is a light lager with a superior, golden taste. With only 2.5 carbs and 85 calories, Pure Gold is triple filtered and brewed free of artificial colors and flavors.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 87
Reviews by tone77:
3.35/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains, corn. Taste is grains, malts, hints of corn, highly refreshing. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall, I was expecting flavorless swill, but this beer exceeded my expectations.

2.8/5  rDev -1.8%

There are those times in life when & where curiosity simply gets the better of me. This marked one of those occasions. I forget precisely what led me to a Subs & Six Packs excursion, but it may have been to score this year's Pilsner Urquell lunchboxes. While out there, I always like to scour for anything new, even if it does come in Bottle format. Well, here we are!

From the Bottle: "Superior Light Beer"; "Made with Organic Grains".

I was denied the satisfaction of even a Pop! since this beer came in one of those screwed-up screw-off cap bottles. 8=( I took out my frustration with an aggro C-Line pour, creating a brief finger of fizzy, foamy, soapy, bone-white head with lousy retention. Even an in-glass swirl proved to be futile. 8=( Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with 24-karat clarity, prompting an impromptu visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon. Nose revealed the impurities in this "Pure" since it had the now-familiar tang of fermented corn, like silage in the summer. 8=p Mouthfeel was thin & watery, but actually on-par for this style. The taste was not as pronounced in terms of silage as I got on the nose, but it still tasted of an unwanted & unnecessary adjunct. 8=( I did not expect much from this beer & that is precisely what I got - not much. It was thin, watery, lacking much in the way of taste & just an overall ho-hum. Finish was semi-sweet, but it really lacked any appreciable taste. The only way that I would revisit this is if they decide to put it in a CAN. YMMV.

2.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is crystal clear straw yellow in color and has a small column of rising bubbles visible near the center of the glass. It poured with a thin collar of white bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of corn are present in the nose.
T: The taste follows the smell and has light flavors of corn with a bit of associated sweetness and hints of bready malts.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, clean and a little smooth on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink and has a nice and clean and smooth mouthfeel. It doesn't have any "off" flavors.

4.21/5  rDev +47.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am a dedicated DIPA drinker but have to lose weight. I decided to give this a go and I must say, that it is way better than I imagined it would be. Definitely worth a try if slimming down and still being able to enjoy a few beers is your goal.

3.04/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear gold color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of pale malt, slight sweet malt, slight corn, and a hint of citrus hops. Fits the style of an American Light Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is a slight dryness as well. Tastes of pale malt, slight sweet malt, slight corn, and a hint of citrus hops. Overall, weak appearance, aroma, body, but good blend.

4.46/5  rDev +56.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Michelob Ultra Pure Gold has a thick, fizzy, white head, a clear, bubbly golden appearance, and minimal glass lacing. The aroma is of sweet, indistinguishable grains, and the taste is the same. Very clean presentation. Watery mouthfeel, with a crisp finish. Again, very clean.

RJT

2.39/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12 Oz Bottle poured into glass
Look - light golden yellow color, carbonation doesn't look too bad. Not much foam and no lacing whatsoever.
Smell - sort of the buttered rice aroma that you get from Budweiser and it almost smells like corn adjunct even though there isn't any in here. Nothing in the way of hops.
Taste - Well, it hards to really differentiate between this and the regular Michelob Ultra. The organic grains may be a smidge healthier but it really doesn't change the flavor. It's the fizzy sweet marshmallow flavor that I can't understand as to why people would like this taste. It just isn't beer, it's too light and no bitterness.

Overall, it's too carbonated, it's too light, and there is no scenario in which i would want one of these. Several light beers better than this. Grade is a C-

1.94/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Darker gold than regular Ultra, but still sparkling clear, with a poofy white head that fizzles out fairly quickly.

The round body is lightly fizzy and tastes of faintly metallic piss and corn. It's less grapey sweet than Ultra, and slightly breadier and soft but thin, coming to a semi-dry finish.

While it has a little more flavor to it than regular Ultra, I think if I had to I'd still choose regular flavorless Ultra. More flavor added to a pretty bad beer simply means more bad flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.61/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.73/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

2.15/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.28/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.1/5  rDev -26.3%

Out of all the light beers I have tried over the years I have got to say that this beer is one of my favorites. The taste is smooth the flavor is mild and the overall drink is refreshing. When I am looking for a light beer this is the one. But if I want a beer with a kick Bud Ice is the one I grab.

4.46/5  rDev +56.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I did like this beer.

From a bottle that was consumed right after I bought it.

Look:very pale. Not really much else to say.but I liked the look of it.

Smell: smells very hoppy like. Has kind of an organic smell.Smells like an average beer but a twist of organic smelling Don't mind the smell.

Taste Did taste light and can taste the organicness. I did like the flavor. It was easy to drink.

Feel: smooth.not much else to say.

Overall: over all I really liked this beer. I liked the flavor and it went down smoothly.

2.07/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

May 15th dating. Bought in a mixed 6pack.

It pours a clear straw yellow with a fine layer of foam.

The smell is very light, light grain, really that's all I get.

Light grainy taste. Some mild sweetness. 3.8% abv and feels like it.

Why this was brewed, I have no idea.

1.94/5  rDev -31.9%

3.5/5  rDev +22.8%

2.75/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Clear gold with one finger of three minute white head. No lace as yet.
Smell is faint grains.
Taste is mild grain bin with a tiny hint of grape skin. No hops found so far.
Mouthfeel is light with super carbonation. The finish is dry and micro sweet.
Overall for the same price as the regular ultra this is slightly better.

1.8/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I've always had a knack for tasting new beers, both good and bad, to broaden my palate and experience with the beverage. I was feeling masochistic when I bought it, and besides, it's been 12 years since I reviewed Michelob Ultra. Will organic grain make a difference here? Comes in a clear bottle, to emphasize the color of the beer I suppose. On to the beer:

It is more golden than I remember of standard Ultra. A lighter golden color with head that fizzes to spotted white spot above the body. There's isn't much to smell; cooked grain and a vague DMS note which drifts away. It does at least smell like a beer.

I've noticed the Ultra line has been marketing towards the active type. I've started working out 3-4 times a week, and I notice my sense of taste gets stronger immediately after exercise. For a beer mile, this may be a somewhat acceptable drink. It's light tasting with grain, a watery body with light fizz, and an aftertaste that's herbal and dry. Sitting at home after a light lunch, it leaves me bored and wanting more. Not bad tasting per se, though lacking much taste.

Yawn. Besides being organic, what niche is this suppose to be filling? I always preferred smaller portions of something tasty than a watered down version, so I'll say this; hand me a 7 oz bottle of High Life and a separate bottle of water after an hour of core exercises.

3.73/5  rDev +30.9%

The crystal clear golden yellow beer pours out into a Duvel glass with a 1/2” fluffy white head that soon recedes to a ring around the glass and a thin layer of foam on the surface, while leaving a few scattered patches of lacing. Sipping creates scattered small patches of lacing that shrink a bit as they cling to the sides of the glass. By mid-way through the beer there are still patches and legs of lacing on the sides of the glass and a very thin, irregular island of foam on the surface of the beer.

The light aromas include some bready malt and a touch of grassy hops.

The flavors are much as expected from the nose with the malt and its light almost bready sweetness providing a counterpoint to the light grassy hops.

The mouthfeel is light bodied and nicely smooth and crisp with the light, finely bubbled persistent carbonation. The moderately long finish begins as the sweetness fades to let the light grassiness of the hops show to the clean, crisp dry, slightly grassy and slightly bitter ending.

On the whole I found this an interesting beer and enjoyed exploring its subtle blending of aromas and flavors. If I wanted to pick a light refreshing beer for an evening out with friends this one would be at or near the top of my list of the light beers I’ve tried. However, if intensity of flavors is your thing, don’t bother with this beer.

3.09/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with a Best By date of 30 May 2018. Sampled on March 3, 2018.

The pour is a clear golden yellow with a short-lived fizzy white head and no lacing.

The one thing I noticed about this compared to other Michelob products was the grainy and bready sweetness in the nose. Maybe some rice and a grassy hop character.

The body was thin and light.

The taste also had a grainy sweetness worth mentioning but a clean, crisp, and mildly dry bitter end. It is 2.5 Carbs and 85 calories and fairly easy to drink. Not a craft beer for sure but certainly refreshing.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast