1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Budweiser Freedom Reserve Red Lager | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

The Freedom Reserve is a specialty red lager brewed with toasted barley grains for a slightly sweet aroma with a touch of hops, a rich caramel malt taste, and a smooth finish with a hint of molasses. Inspired by George Washington's recipe.

For every case purchased, Budweiser is donating $1 to Folds of Honor - a non-profit that provides scholarships to families of fallen or wounded soldiers.

View: Beers
Reviews by scratch69:
3.36/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.76/5  rDev +9%

Happy 4th of July as I celebrate my Freedom in style! Here is my take on the 4th of July & why it is one of my favorite holidays: We are celebrating one of the last successful armed revolutions that resulted in a change of power from the existing one! I have long advocated for anarchic change since the time for slow, measured change has passed. I have (unsuccessfully) run for Mayor twice, but I have not given up & now, there is a slow groundswell of support for me in 2021. If you don't like my stances, remember that as a part of the 7%, I defended your right to dissent. I am a proud U.S. Navy retiree & I again wish you a Happy 4th of July!

From the (grenade, NOT stubby) Bottle: "This red lager is brewed with toasted barley grains for a slightly sweet aroma with a touch of hops, a rich caramel malt taste, and a smooth finish with a hint of molasses. Inspired by George Washington's recipe."; "Donation of $1 per case to: Folds of Honor"; "Brewed by Budweiser Veterans: [undersigned]; "Folds of Honor * Honor Their Sacrifice * Educate Their Legacy".

Leave it to A-B/InBev to screw things up with a screwed-up, screw-off cap, depriving me of even a Pop! 8=( I made up for it with an aggro pour that would have made Gunny Ermey proud as I readied this grenade for hand-launching through a nearby Starbucks window. It rose up in furious anger to form just under two fingers of fizzy, foamy, rocky, tawny head that was quickly beaten back & subdued by the day's increasing heat & humidity. Color was a most gorgeous Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity! It reminded me of an old flame's hair. Nose smelled VERY much of caramel malt & I was impressed by what they can do when they want to do it. Mmm. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, about on par for a Lager. The taste, while caramel, was not as rich as on the nose, which was kinda disappointing. I'm not sure that I got the treacle/molasses on the finish, although there was an unidentifiable sharpness which was NOT caramel malt. This was an interesting output on their part & I am glad to have been able to partake of it on our nation's birthday. I was good at one, although I would happily revisit it if they were to put it in a CAN. YMMV.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a twelver of these for no particular reason. I'll drink mass market beer on occasion, probably more often than most on this site.

I get about 3/4 inch head of foam after a neither gentle or aggressive pour into a pint glass. Beer is a semi-translucent red. This is a beer that deserves to be pounded so not sure how long before the head settles or what it settles into. I have no issue with the appearance or the nose, which is subdued but which foretells a malty, sweet beer.

Taste follows the nose, as it virtually always does. l am getting little hop presence, but not zero. Describing this as a hoppy beer would be silly, but I don't find bitterness or even hop character of any kind to be essential in a beer of this style, or particularly in this one, which is absolutely malt-forward. Taste is light and subtle front and mid palate, but on this back palate I get really pleasant caramel sweetness, almost identical to the kind of caramel sweetness I experience in a marzen. I favor this quite a bit subjectively. I wouldn't surprise me at all if other folks either do not enjoy, or actually despise, this. Beer is light in the mouth, but this is to be expected.

I'm digging this beer and finding it to be a revelation. I enjoy a red ale here and there and am also guilty(?) of taking pleasure in a Sam Adams Irish Red. Actually wish that this would become permanently available. It's far better than the American Ale that Budweiser released and then discontinued a couple of years back. Recommend without reservation for anyone willing to give this a fair shot and to rate to style.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Budweiser Freedom Reserve Red Lager brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV of 5.40% This American Amber/Red Lager pours out a nice copper color with a nice white head head. There is some nice spotty lacing to this brew, it sticks to the side of the glass well. Really digging the copper color of this brew. The smell is rich sweetness, with mirror roasted grains and malts. You do pick up on faint hop bitterness in the smell as well. So far this is one inviting brew, now for the taste, it is bold but smooth with flavors. You first pick up sweet roasted grains and malts. There is also a nice clean finish to this brew. The sweetness is a nice touch to this brew.
Budweiser Freedom Reserve Red Lager has a super nice balance to, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. I can't get over how smooth this brew goes down. The body of this brew is a solid medium. The mouth feel of Budweiser Freedom Reserve Red Lager is Bold,Rich, Roasted, Clean, Smooth, and Refreshing. Overall I'm going to give Budweiser Freedom Reserve Red Lager a 4.25 out of 5. I would definitely look this brew up again giving the opportunity to. Anheuser-Busch, did a real nice job with this American Red/ Amber Larger. If you are looking for something to change it up that is bold but smooth look this brew up.

This absolutely must be my beloved Red Wolf beer that AB brewed in the nineties. This is every bit as smooth - and if the memory of my taste buds serve me well, the taste is the same. I was frantic when I could no longer purchase Red Wolf. So right now? I'm off to buy as much of this Freedom Reserve as I can. I love this beer.

3.24/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A very malty red lager that has the taste of molasses. I must say this is a good brew considering it’s from Anheuser-Busch. Best part I was able to get a 6 pack for $2.99! Total steal.

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a extremely clear redish amber with a tan head with side glass lace. Head retention is lacking.

AROMA: Sweet caramel and molasses come through.
TASTE: Mostly sweet malts, some toasty as well. Not picking up much in the hop departent.
Overall this was just too sweet for my liking. Worth but not something I expect to buy again.

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

12oz bottle poured into Sam Adams perfect pint. Freshest Before 10AUG18

appearance - Clear dark amber body. Pours big offwhite pancake batter head without the staying power. Minimal lacing.(edited)
smell - corn and malt, gentle and alluring
taste - sweet, very mild grass.
mouthfeel - a bit sharp up front but very smooth the rest of the way with surprisingly no astringency given the upfront kick
overall - great refreshing session beer with plenty of interesting character without being overpowering

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

"Tastes like Killian's."

Damn! This aint half bad.

As cute as that little chubber is, I couldn't just suck this one from the bottle. I HAD to give it the royal beer-asshole treatment.

Pour is thin, but has some good non-force-carbonated-looking legs which stick to the sides. Smell is "Meh!"

Color is fabulous! Also, "Darth like strong filter!"

Hop character is pretty non-existant but the boil is just right for the really nice caramel attitude that strikes dead-center and flows sideways and back for a great finish, where a slight hint of toasted malt appears to do a lovers' leap with the hops.

Nice one, Bud!

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

well, its fourth of july time, which means the america campaign these guys launch each summer is in full swing. this time, instead of simply meaning adding stars and stripes to the existing packaging, it actually includes a new beer, which i think is pretty rad actually. as much as i hate on bud light and some of their other brands, original bud is a staple, an american institution, and i still like to keep an eye on the beers they make when they appear to take them seriously like this brick red lager, which is flavorful and still crisp, a touch sweeter in the middle than it needs to be and a little thin in the feel, but one of the better brands i have seen from these guys in a long time. i wish the lager yeast had a little more flavor, but the malt is fresh and tasty, kilned and toasted in complexion, still light enough for this to be refreshing, and slightly hoppier at the end than most of their stuff, certainly the ones that bear the budweiser name. some nuttiness and still a really crisp feel, great carbonation, not exactly summer but it works in all weather. i actually thought this was pretty solid for what it is, good call to make a beer to go with the america thing. freedom reserve, what patriot wont at least try a six pack? i was surprised by this.

4.33/5  rDev +25.5%

This was a surprise for me. I am generally a beer snob and at first turned my nose up at a mass produced lager, but by golly it was great. Its red color and molasses taste make for a refreshing beer. The bubbles were just the right size too. Serving suggestions -- drink after mowing the lawn. Superb!!!!!

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don't care much for overly malty sweet beers and considering Budweiser tends to avoid extremes in flavor, this beer works for me. It is mildly sweet and an easy drink that pairs well with dinner.

4.82/5  rDev +39.7%

Nice pour with nice off white head. Was expecting a "heavy" beer was surprised to find it drinks really well. I do not get the caramel or molasses, but a clean malty taste. A bit bitter on the back end, but does not show up when it is good and cold. Does not make you feel bloated, even after 6 of these guys. I really don't get the sweetness everyone is talking about, but I do get that "Budweiser" taste maybe just a bit bitter at the end. This goes away shortly and you settle in to a darn good beer. The smell is heaven and the taste to me is excellent and clean. Good with a nasty cheeseburger or a big 'ol steak. I will keep this in the beer fridge as long as I can get it. $6.79 a six here in Georgia. I love the "stubby" bottles and everything about this beer. Cheers!!

3.62/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Best before 09August18.George Washington brewed lagers,how cool,didn't know that.Pours into a becker a rich red tinged copper color with a full finger off white head atop,love the color clarity.Deep caramel and toasted grains in the nose,aromas are quite sweet.Flavors start out on the sweeter side with caramel malts and some of that molasses but there is a decent drying grainy effect in the finish.Malt driven no doubt this is a pretty solid american red/amber lager....I like it better than 'Y',a nice beer brewed by some Merican heroes.

3.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The body has a slightly reddish color with very good clarity and a small creamy head of foam. The head is slick and lacing is minimal but it hangs on fairly well. I don't get too much in the nose. It has some light sweet grain, white bread and a slight hint of spicy floral hops. The flavor starts with a base of lightly roasted grain, cereal grain and white bread. There is a mild sweetness up front from the malt and molasses. The finish dries out quickly and finishes more balanced with some very light hop bitterness. The palate is light, well carbonated and easy drinking.

2.77/5  rDev -19.7%

Has all the look characteristics of a good red lager. Smells like Bud, tastes like Bud well aged. I don't really get the mollasses either. Nice to know that Bud can do something w/o totally messing it up, but not something to pin your hopes on.

3.82/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.57/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Decent offering from Budweiser. Beautiful copper/bronze color. Very lite head. Malty but not overly sweet as others have said. Very little hoppiness. Sometimes you need a break from the piney-intense IPAs. Crisp and refreshing. Nice carbonation. Good choice on a hot summer day. Cool stubby bottle. Reasonably priced at around $6.75. Worth a try.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, dark copper with a minimal head that vanished quickly..Faint grain/malt aroma...Not getting much here...Taste is more malty than I would have expected from a AB product..A bit spicy, sweet and overall, tasty and yet refreshing....This beer has a bit of viscosity too! Not a half bad summer beer.

3.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Ruby red with great foamy head and lacing.
N: Malt and grains with some caramel.
T: Rich malt flavors with a nice grain mix.
M: Light
O: A really enjoyable beer, flavors worked well and very clean to drink. Would recommend.

3.62/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clean amber, with an exemplary off-white head and trace of lace.

Aroma: Sweet caramel malts with some hops. Not bad.

Taste: Sweet but subtle. I get a touch of molasses evident, with caramel hops and just enough hops to make this one really pretty tasty.

Budweiser Freedom Reserve Red Lager from Anheuser-Busch