Redbridge

Gots
SCORE
Poor
RedbridgeRedbridge
Notes: Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
Reviews: 224 | Ratings: 523

A gluten free beer that actually tastes like a beer!!! Glad I found this because there are not too many gluten free beers out there that don't taste like a fruity wine.

Meh, this would be the best reason to rate this beer. If you crave anything gluten free, start with this and then try some hard cider. If you do not like apples then try something else beer related. That is all I have for now. A middle of the road brew that finishes clean and keeps consistent texture throughout.

I'm rating this a 5 because, unlike many of the reviewers, I do have to avoid gluten at all costs -- or risk becoming very sick. I had given up on the idea of ever having beer until trying Omission, but I honestly think it's just OK. I rarely bothered to buy it. I decided to try Redbridge when I saw it in a local grocery store (which is something of a miracle in itself) and I'm enjoying my first one as I write this review. I'm thrilled that it actually tastes like beer to me! Before gluten issues, I wasn't a gourmet beer drinker, but I do know what I like and Redbridge works for me. I'm very grateful that someone bothered to make a gluten-free beer that wasn't an apple cider beer or a beer that tasted like it had already gone flat. I'm happy!

I love this beer! I grieved when I thought I’d never enjoy beer again after being dignosed with a gluten allergy. This beer is a game changer! I love the taste, the smoothness and the sweet after taste. Ahhhh my life has become so much better since this discovery!!! Highly recommended!

3.34/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Reddish gold color, white medium collar that reduces quickly to a spotty cover. Sweet beery aroma. Very neutral taste. Refreshing beer & the gluten-free has to be a welcome pleasure to people that are gluten intolerant.

3.41/5  rDev +30.2%

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, 13288 bottle code. Pours crystal clear deep orange/copper color with a 1 finger fairly dense and fluffy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Nice spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of cracker, honey, brown sugar, toasted bread, light biscuit/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. A bit too too fruity aromas, but not too overwhelming. Okay aromas with sorghum grains and mild earthy hop notes; with good strength. Taste of cracker, honey, brown sugar, toasted bread, light biscuit/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Mild herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, honey, brown sugar, toasted bread, light biscuit/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice robustness of sorghum grains and mild earthy hop flavors; with a solid sugar/bitterness balance, and no cloying flavors after the finish. Very clean on lager flavors, with minimal fruity/yeasty notes present. Slightly increasing dryness from lingering bitterness. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready/grainy, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is good. A bit thin, but not watery. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4%. Overall this is a solid gluten free amber lager. All around good robustness of sorghum grains and mild earthy hop flavors; very smooth and easy to drink with the minimally bitter/drying finish. Very flavorful for the ABV. Clean sorghum grains and mild earthy hop presence. An enjoyable offering, just a little too sweet.

4.94/5  rDev +88.5%

A good quality Gluten Free (hearty) Beer is a hard beverage to find. When I saw this on the shelf I decided to try it having gotten Omission GF beer in the past . I was excited to see another option. This turned out to be much better than the Omission brand. I am not a beer expect but I know what I enjoy and my favorite in the past, before gluten intolerance, was Shiner Bock. So maybe that says it all.

3.11/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Look: Clear amber with a nice white head that goes away within a minute.

Smell: A sort of spicy apple smell.

Taste: Faintly tastes of apples, with a little bit of malt. Can't detect any trace of hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin and carbonated.

Overall: I'm still not sure why this tastes like apples.

2.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear yellowish amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high translucent to white head that quickly collapsed and left a thick layer of bubbles covering the surface and the sides of the glass. The head then faded away, leaving only a narrow collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of apples are present in the nose along with notes of sweet malt extracts.
T: The taste follows the smell and is mostly dominated by flavors of green apples with hints of malt extracts. Little if any sweetness is perceptible.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied and somewhat thin and watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a bit of cleanness.
O: This beer is very fruity and seems more like an ale than a lager (except for the mouthfeel). Although it's not especially flavorful, I thought that it was rather good for a beer brewed with sorghum as it didn't have any "off" or rancid flavors.

4.7/5  rDev +79.4%

As a guy who has been allergic to barley for over 5 years. This was the first true beer I’ve had since I had to quit. I’ve got to say it taste amazing!!!! I’m assuming everyone giving this beer a bad review is able to drink any beer they want so they are comparing to the best.

3.5/5  rDev +33.6%

L: brilliant copper amber with rapidly rising bubbles and a thin white cap with poor retention

S: low to medium low aromas with sorghum, light hop and yeast aromas with a trace of earthiness

T: The flavors are mostly fruit and grain and this beer lacks the sharpness found in some sorghum beer

F: thin with above average carbonation

O: Redbridge is inoffensive and comes across like a lightly beer flavored wine cooler

2.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours crystal clear with a 1 1/2 finger whitish head that dissipates rapidly leaving no lacing. Tons of bubbles initially cling to the sides of the glass. Coppery orange against my wall, golden against my screen. Very attractive as far as clarity and color, but after a matter of minutes, it looks more like a glass of wine than a beer.

A little citrusy in aroma. The smell reminds me of ginger ale after the beer warms. Metallic and citric at first.

Tart for me, I don't get the sweet taste as others have. Pleasantly tart with a bit of citrus.

Moderate in body with a sting of carbonation. Drying.

Not a bad beer, especially if you're gluten sensitive, which I am. Metallic in taste and aroma when cold, but this dissipates as the beer warms. Fairly one dimensional in both aroma and taste, yet an easy drinker, and not unpleasant. With others commenting on the sweetness of the brew, I'm thinking mine is likely overaged.

1.66/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Pours a deep golden color almost orange with a short lived head. Aroma of sweet grains, a bit of cooked veggie and slight skunk. Taste didn't fare much better. Soap, light dms and skunk character. Won't be revisiting.

2.09/5  rDev -20.2%

This beer has more of a grassy taste than i've ever had before. I guess thats the sorghum i'm tasting i'd imagine since I don't recall ever having a beer with sorghum before. It takes a little getting used to but it could be worse, not something i'd ever buy again though.

1.8/5  rDev -31.3%

This was the very first gluten free beer I had once I was diagnosed with Celiac. I waited and waited for this to come out and when it did, I thought it was the best thing in the world. Not being able to drink regular beer really changes things. After 10 years or so of having Celiac and about 5-6 (can't quite remember when this came out) years of drinking this, there are so many better options. In a glass or out of the bottle, this just doesn't have the taste of an Omission of Green's. If this is all that's around , I'll drink it but I'd much rather have something else.

2.21/5  rDev -15.6%

L - Gold with some red tones, nearly transparent.

S - Odd lack of aroma. A bit sweet, similar to hard cider.

T: Sweet flavor, again similar to cider but more bready/earthy due to the sorghum. Similar to an O'Douls or Sharps in that it's just bland ale.

M: If it don't taste good it ain't gonna feel good.

O: My local shop has a 'clearance rack' where the owner puts single bottles out. This one was labeled 99 cents so I decided to try it. I told him later how bad this beer was, he laughed and said "haven't had one good review yet, trying to get rid of it. Won't be ordering that one again." Thankfully I'm not limited to gluten-free beer, my sympathy to those who are.

2.56/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle.

A: not much distinction, slight amber color, no head. S: fairly empty. I guess I am smelling sorghum? T: generic, kind of like a weak red ale. Nothing too noteworthy. F: disappointing, lacks any type of bite, although not offensive. O: I guess it could be worse, it's passable for GF but I doubt I will ever have another

3.23/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a really inoffensive beer and a good cheap option for those who need gluten-free options. When I saw this was from Anheuser-Busch I groaned (they have a habit of hiding their name on many of their brews or just redacting it completely on some such as on Wild Blue) but this is one of their better offerings I've had, maybe the best. The ratings on here don't do it justice.

Appearance is very okay. Thin white head that dissipates quickly. Smell is sweet, almost reminds me of sangria or brandy. Mouthfeel is surprisingly good, and it goes down really smooth for an A-B beer. Taste is nothing extraordinary obviously but isn't outright bad. If this had a higher ABV I think it'd be a genuinely decent cheap beer to pound, up there with the likes of Blue Moon.

As far as red lagers made by macrobreweries go, I think this beats out George Killian's.

3.63/5  rDev +38.5%

Best gluten-free brew I've had so far, yet has a few unique characteristics that differentiates itself from the standard beer. The scent has floral notes, whereas the taste reveals a hint of a sort of fruit, like a crisp applely-peach to finish. The beer could use some longer lasting froth, but all-in-all, a satisfying experience that encourages me to say, "yes, I'll have another. Thanks."

2.72/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, one of those, 'oh hell, I guess I'll try it' grocery store mixed-six selections.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly just fizzy dirty white head, which leaves a bit of some fat guy's cannonball splash lace around the glass as things slowly recede.

It smells of musty, floral, and faintly toasted grain (best way I can describe sorghum, I suppose), slightly off apple cider, further indistinct yeasty fruit esters, and some weak leafy, grassy hop bitters. The taste is grainy, lightly doughy, well, wet bread, dead flowers, fairly overripe apples, phenolic yeast, a hint of white pepper, a random cold medicine thing from when I was a kid, and very tame earthy, grassy hops.

The carbonation is quite light in its limited time offer frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and sort of smooth, the mixed and growing fruity sourness not doing anyone any favours here. It finishes off-dry, and verging on sweet - plain bready grain, and lingering yeasty fruit.

Yeah, this is certainly not as bad as I might have been expecting going in, as it bests Bards (another sorghum-only brew), but still falls short of agreeable in many other respects. The malt is too thin, the fruitiness overly musty, and the hops either unpleasant or way too under the radar. And now I know.

1.83/5  rDev -30.2%

ever had Miller's "Sharp's" non-alcoholic brew?

Redbridge tastes very much like that, to me... nasty sweet bread flavor
with a definite tang of alcohol, kind of amazing since it's only 4% abv.

it's not a good thing at all. in fact, it was pretty gross... I am not one to pour beers (not even Earthquake!), but I came close on this one. I'm glad I got just one bottle as part of a pick-six at my local market.

if I had to limit myself to GF beer, I could drink this.... but I wouldn't enjoy it much.

1.88/5  rDev -28.2%

This has been quite a G-F weekend for yours truly! I felt really crappy all day on Friday and while I wanted to indulge, the thought of AIPAs made the stomach seas choppy and bouncy. I then hit upon all of the G-F beers that I had assembled, both in support of a (now-former) work colleague who is gluten intolerant and in the hopes of submitting an article on G-F beers for publication. My new sense of this is that it takes both immersion and dedication. One cannot sense the nuances of these beers unless you commit to solely drinking them for a period of time. I only wish that I had more to try on this journey.

From the bottle: "Gluten-Free Sorghum Beer Made Without Wheat Or Barley". For me it was the striking picture of the red covered bridge that really hit home. My late Pops was a founding member of the Lancaster (PA) Bicycle Club and the instigator of the annual Covered Bridge Ride through Lancaster County. I was the executor of his estate and I chose a like scene for the front of his funeral announcement. I still envision his rear wheel crossing into eternity any time I am near a covered bridge, red or not. R.I.P., Pops.

I Pop!, er, unscrewed the cap, just to show you the relevancy A-B/INBEV gives to its G-F consumers. An aggro pour netted a finger of foamy, light-tan head with lousy retention. Bye, Felicia! Nose had a musty, caramel apple smell. I thought of ice cream for some reason. Nowhere as sharp as Green's, but where would these guys be if they didn't polish the s**t out of their beers? Nowhere! Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. These guys are the masters of filtration at the expense of flavor!Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like fermented apple cider, but with somebody having hit the "Mute" button! This was as if you were a person new to G-F and unsure where to start, then this would be your beer. For a now-seasoned veteran, this was like G-F beer on training wheels. Holy Ho Hum and Boring, Batman! I could drink this. A G-F person could drink this. On the other hand, we could drink a glass of water, which is also G-F! Finish was as bland and indistinguishable as all of their other products. For shame! Yes, this is an alternative, but to beer? I am unamused.

1.85/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass, then promptly dumped half into the toilet.
Aroma- smells like beer
Appearance- Looks like beer
Taste- Horrid, if you can't have gluten, then I guess you should drink wine. this is awful
Palate- not sure, couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- really!! avoid, drink tap water.

1.09/5  rDev -58.4%

Nose sweet sour bread (I guess sorghum), moldiness, grains. Taste like crappy club soda, strange tartness, cidery. Another underwhelming Gluten! Couldn't finish this one.

1.8/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Crystal clear, watery, sweet with a bit of citrus from the hops, but no bready malt flavours to balance this. "Lager" yeast doesn't taste much like lager. I know it's Gluten-free, but, eh, there are definitely much better. (i.e. Green's)

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch