Redbridge

Gots
SCORE
Poor
RedbridgeRedbridge
Notes: Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
View: Beers
Reviews: 232 | Ratings: 540 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
VelvetExtract from Massachusetts

2.52/5  rDev -3.8%

Recently diagnosed with late-developing Celiac disease. Looks like it's Redbridge and other gluten-free offerings going forward for this newly semi-retired reviewer. My reviews will steadily decline going forward. Run towards the fire with eyes wide open, grinning ear-to-ear, my fellow reviewers!

Apr 30, 2021
jjamadorphd from Florida

2.8/5  rDev +6.9%

I had to try this sorghum-free beer...

...Not that it was bad or good, just different. The strangest thing was the smell, it had a coca-cola-like odor to my nose. I couldn’t shake it. Anyway, it’s nothing really bad but certainly nothing special either.

Apr 05, 2021
Stephenkerr from Massachusetts

3.42/5  rDev +30.5%

Got this since my girlfriend is gluten free - I've had it occasionally over the years. It wasn't a stunner but felt like a reliable red lager. Drinkable and inoffensive.

Feb 17, 2021
BlackBeerPirate from Illinois

2.93/5  rDev +11.8%

Taste: hint of some cider, sour fruit, corn, earthy grains, airy mouthfeel. Cider like nose. Caramel colored hue, clear, with small head and lace. Medium/light body. Not my kinda taste.

Nov 25, 2020
beersampler6 from Michigan

3.1/5  rDev +18.3%

This one wasn't bad. My first gluten-free, wheat-free beer so I had low expectations and on that front, it wasn't too shabby at all. Reminded me of a slightly more flavorful, less watered-down AAL. No date printed on bottle. Pours a lighter amber color with just a thin film of white head and no real lacing. Smells of malt, grain, caramel, a little nuttiness, no real hops. Tastes similarly, somewhat refreshing and not too bad but a little touch of sweetness at the finish. Mild thin mouthfeel, decent carbonation. I tried it and it wasn't too bad but I wouldn't buy it again.

Apr 01, 2020
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

2.81/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

(12 oz bottle, 19259; purchased single off shelf... poured into a 14 oz mug)

L: polished-clear, amber liquid; fizzy off-white head.... razor-thin collar remains, no lace

S: vaguely grassy-herbal tone ahead of a mildly grain-syrup base: slight note of apple cider vinegar?... decent relative intensity, but clearly lacking malt

T: ooof! hmm... papery and dry up front, with a bit of a lightly-sweetish, basic cider aftertaste... long after the first sip, the aftertaste is that of a weaker, drier Sidral Mundet, with a subtle cooked corn kernal note... subtle phenol spice builds, remaining mellow but lingering along with the corn

F: very lightly-spritzy carbonation, rather dry finish... its body is thin, lacking roundness, with a strange almost inward, vacuum drop in the finish

O: not terrible, but perhaps not worth it on its own... tastes more like a beer-flavored diet alco pop? (1602)

Nov 15, 2019
AlyssaHarder

1.86/5  rDev -29%

This beer has such an odd aftertaste and is ridiculously sweet. This is the first gluten free beer more people have tried and it sours the idea of a good gluten free beer. They are definitely out there, but this is not one of the good ones. Stick with a cider or find something less mass produced.

Nov 15, 2019
Chatterbox from Ohio

A gluten free beer that actually tastes like a beer!!! Glad I found this because there are not too many gluten free beers out there that don't taste like a fruity wine.

May 11, 2019
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

Meh, this would be the best reason to rate this beer. If you crave anything gluten free, start with this and then try some hard cider. If you do not like apples then try something else beer related. That is all I have for now. A middle of the road brew that finishes clean and keeps consistent texture throughout.

Apr 23, 2019
Glutard from Georgia

I'm rating this a 5 because, unlike many of the reviewers, I do have to avoid gluten at all costs -- or risk becoming very sick. I had given up on the idea of ever having beer until trying Omission, but I honestly think it's just OK. I rarely bothered to buy it. I decided to try Redbridge when I saw it in a local grocery store (which is something of a miracle in itself) and I'm enjoying my first one as I write this review. I'm thrilled that it actually tastes like beer to me! Before gluten issues, I wasn't a gourmet beer drinker, but I do know what I like and Redbridge works for me. I'm very grateful that someone bothered to make a gluten-free beer that wasn't an apple cider beer or a beer that tasted like it had already gone flat. I'm happy!

Mar 18, 2019
Melena99 from Kentucky

I love this beer! I grieved when I thought I’d never enjoy beer again after being dignosed with a gluten allergy. This beer is a game changer! I love the taste, the smoothness and the sweet after taste. Ahhhh my life has become so much better since this discovery!!! Highly recommended!

Mar 13, 2019
kimlhurst from Ohio

3.34/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Reddish gold color, white medium collar that reduces quickly to a spotty cover. Sweet beery aroma. Very neutral taste. Refreshing beer & the gluten-free has to be a welcome pleasure to people that are gluten intolerant.

Oct 01, 2018
superspak from Ohio

3.41/5  rDev +30.2%

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, 13288 bottle code. Pours crystal clear deep orange/copper color with a 1 finger fairly dense and fluffy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Nice spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of cracker, honey, brown sugar, toasted bread, light biscuit/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. A bit too too fruity aromas, but not too overwhelming. Okay aromas with sorghum grains and mild earthy hop notes; with good strength. Taste of cracker, honey, brown sugar, toasted bread, light biscuit/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Mild herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, honey, brown sugar, toasted bread, light biscuit/pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice robustness of sorghum grains and mild earthy hop flavors; with a solid sugar/bitterness balance, and no cloying flavors after the finish. Very clean on lager flavors, with minimal fruity/yeasty notes present. Slightly increasing dryness from lingering bitterness. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready/grainy, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is good. A bit thin, but not watery. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4%. Overall this is a solid gluten free amber lager. All around good robustness of sorghum grains and mild earthy hop flavors; very smooth and easy to drink with the minimally bitter/drying finish. Very flavorful for the ABV. Clean sorghum grains and mild earthy hop presence. An enjoyable offering, just a little too sweet.

Sep 29, 2018
cms121 from Texas

4.94/5  rDev +88.5%

A good quality Gluten Free (hearty) Beer is a hard beverage to find. When I saw this on the shelf I decided to try it having gotten Omission GF beer in the past . I was excited to see another option. This turned out to be much better than the Omission brand. I am not a beer expect but I know what I enjoy and my favorite in the past, before gluten intolerance, was Shiner Bock. So maybe that says it all.

May 08, 2018
chitoryu12 from Florida

3.11/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Look: Clear amber with a nice white head that goes away within a minute.

Smell: A sort of spicy apple smell.

Taste: Faintly tastes of apples, with a little bit of malt. Can't detect any trace of hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin and carbonated.

Overall: I'm still not sure why this tastes like apples.

May 02, 2018
metter98 from New York

2.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear yellowish amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high translucent to white head that quickly collapsed and left a thick layer of bubbles covering the surface and the sides of the glass. The head then faded away, leaving only a narrow collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of apples are present in the nose along with notes of sweet malt extracts.
T: The taste follows the smell and is mostly dominated by flavors of green apples with hints of malt extracts. Little if any sweetness is perceptible.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied and somewhat thin and watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a bit of cleanness.
O: This beer is very fruity and seems more like an ale than a lager (except for the mouthfeel). Although it's not especially flavorful, I thought that it was rather good for a beer brewed with sorghum as it didn't have any "off" or rancid flavors.

Apr 07, 2018
Ncollins from Alabama

4.7/5  rDev +79.4%

As a guy who has been allergic to barley for over 5 years. This was the first true beer I’ve had since I had to quit. I’ve got to say it taste amazing!!!! I’m assuming everyone giving this beer a bad review is able to drink any beer they want so they are comparing to the best.

Feb 11, 2018
pat61 from Minnesota

3.5/5  rDev +33.6%

L: brilliant copper amber with rapidly rising bubbles and a thin white cap with poor retention

S: low to medium low aromas with sorghum, light hop and yeast aromas with a trace of earthiness

T: The flavors are mostly fruit and grain and this beer lacks the sharpness found in some sorghum beer

F: thin with above average carbonation

O: Redbridge is inoffensive and comes across like a lightly beer flavored wine cooler

Aug 14, 2017
obywan59 from Virginia

2.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours crystal clear with a 1 1/2 finger whitish head that dissipates rapidly leaving no lacing. Tons of bubbles initially cling to the sides of the glass. Coppery orange against my wall, golden against my screen. Very attractive as far as clarity and color, but after a matter of minutes, it looks more like a glass of wine than a beer.

A little citrusy in aroma. The smell reminds me of ginger ale after the beer warms. Metallic and citric at first.

Tart for me, I don't get the sweet taste as others have. Pleasantly tart with a bit of citrus.

Moderate in body with a sting of carbonation. Drying.

Not a bad beer, especially if you're gluten sensitive, which I am. Metallic in taste and aroma when cold, but this dissipates as the beer warms. Fairly one dimensional in both aroma and taste, yet an easy drinker, and not unpleasant. With others commenting on the sweetness of the brew, I'm thinking mine is likely overaged.

Nov 09, 2016
Stinkypuss from Pennsylvania

1.66/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Pours a deep golden color almost orange with a short lived head. Aroma of sweet grains, a bit of cooked veggie and slight skunk. Taste didn't fare much better. Soap, light dms and skunk character. Won't be revisiting.

Sep 20, 2016
mmmbeer89 from New Mexico

2.09/5  rDev -20.2%

This beer has more of a grassy taste than i've ever had before. I guess thats the sorghum i'm tasting i'd imagine since I don't recall ever having a beer with sorghum before. It takes a little getting used to but it could be worse, not something i'd ever buy again though.

May 10, 2016
REVZEB from Illinois

2.36/5  rDev -9.9%

Golden amber with a tiny white ring. So sweet smelling, orange and apple with caramel malts and macro sweet corn. Taste is even sweeter than it smells, almost like a malt liquor with a hint of black pepper earthiness but it doesn't matter, just not good. Feel doesn't cloy though, very light and bland, but it stops the sweetness from running away with it

Mar 28, 2016
BRedd84 from Texas

1.8/5  rDev -31.3%

This was the very first gluten free beer I had once I was diagnosed with Celiac. I waited and waited for this to come out and when it did, I thought it was the best thing in the world. Not being able to drink regular beer really changes things. After 10 years or so of having Celiac and about 5-6 (can't quite remember when this came out) years of drinking this, there are so many better options. In a glass or out of the bottle, this just doesn't have the taste of an Omission of Green's. If this is all that's around , I'll drink it but I'd much rather have something else.

Mar 15, 2016
DaneBramage from Illinois

2.21/5  rDev -15.6%

L - Gold with some red tones, nearly transparent.

S - Odd lack of aroma. A bit sweet, similar to hard cider.

T: Sweet flavor, again similar to cider but more bready/earthy due to the sorghum. Similar to an O'Douls or Sharps in that it's just bland ale.

M: If it don't taste good it ain't gonna feel good.

O: My local shop has a 'clearance rack' where the owner puts single bottles out. This one was labeled 99 cents so I decided to try it. I told him later how bad this beer was, he laughed and said "haven't had one good review yet, trying to get rid of it. Won't be ordering that one again." Thankfully I'm not limited to gluten-free beer, my sympathy to those who are.

Jan 17, 2016
Antc2382 from New Jersey

2.56/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle.

A: not much distinction, slight amber color, no head. S: fairly empty. I guess I am smelling sorghum? T: generic, kind of like a weak red ale. Nothing too noteworthy. F: disappointing, lacks any type of bite, although not offensive. O: I guess it could be worse, it's passable for GF but I doubt I will ever have another

Dec 06, 2015