Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

View: Beers
Reviews by EgadBananas:
2.2/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looks pretty much like a macro lager. Calling it an amber is a stretch to say the least. Retention was pretty decent though, all things considered.

The aroma is slight, with a hint of sweetness and an adjunct sort of smell.

The taste is just... strange. There's this weird sweetness that I guess comes from the sorghum and sweetener. It's palatable, but just strange and hard to like for me.

The mouthfeel kinda sucks. It's super creamy, though it looks bubbly in the glass. There's a dry, kinda soapy finish to it. It's not wildly pleasant.

It's drinkable, but if I was Gluten intolerant, I'd choose other forms of booze like hard liquor over this. In similar vein as NA beers, what's the point?

1.85/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass, then promptly dumped half into the toilet.
Aroma- smells like beer
Appearance- Looks like beer
Taste- Horrid, if you can't have gluten, then I guess you should drink wine. this is awful
Palate- not sure, couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- really!! avoid, drink tap water.

4.03/5  rDev +55.6%

Having been just diagnosed with Celiac disease, I was very sad at the thought of never drinking beer again. I never would have thought that Anheuser-Busch would make enjoying beer again a posibillity.

I poured it into a pint glass, and was very surprised to see a good rusty brown-red colour. It doesn't look very thick; pouring more like a thin pilsner, but forms a wonderful head nonetheless. Probably the best poor of any bud product I've ever seen.

Smell was not too bad at all. There was hopps, alcohol, and the interesting smell of sorghum.

Taste: thin. Not a bad thing though. One expects a "beer" flavour and that is what one gets. The sorghum adds an interesting flavour, kind of like getting lime when expecting lemon, but it's close enough that I won't complain (it was my first beer in 5 months).

The aftertaste was very nice. The hopps come through most here.

Overall I was happy. At just over $8.50 at my local beer shop, it's a steal when compaired with other gluten-free beers. Expensive for bud, but not for a good micro. I think I'll pretend it's just that.

Bravo

Pours a light amber with a short white head that dissipates pretty quick. Smells slightly sweet like a cross between maple syrup and light molasses. Fairly faint, but not unpleasant. The taste is similarly sweet, but surprisingly restrained. There is also a slight bitterness that balances the sweetness. Comes off as quite a bit more flavorful than the common AB product. Medium to light body, not overcarbonated. Fades as it warms, definitely one to drink fairly quickly. Surprisingly okay for a sorghum beer. I am not a celiac, but I very much appreciate their difficulty and I think that AB should be commended for bringing to market such an important product that still tastes reasonably like a beer.

4.7/5  rDev +81.5%

As a guy who has been allergic to barley for over 5 years. This was the first true beer I’ve had since I had to quit. I’ve got to say it taste amazing!!!! I’m assuming everyone giving this beer a bad review is able to drink any beer they want so they are comparing to the best.

3.47/5  rDev +34%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My wife was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in 2001. She had been a beer drinker and was told beer was on the banned list. Using internet sources, I set out to make her gluten free beer. It was a real effort. Nobody sold malted sorghum or buckwheat, so the the entire process took weeks, and the results were mixed. Perhaps this effort predisposed me to liking a well-made GF beer. A gluten free beer from a brewery with the money to do it right was an exciting prospect. At the same time, I picked up some Redbridge and some Bard's Tale, another GF beer. In a blind tasting, my wife and I both preferred Redbridge by a wide margin. It had no funky smell or taste that is common with GF beers. Most occasional beer drinkers would probably not recognize it as anything but beer. It has a slightly darker color than Budweiser and enough hops to make things interesting. When compared against American Macros, the taste is actually a refreshing change. Not surprisingly, AB had the foresight to market this beer as a "Beer Made from Sorghum," rather than a "Gluten Free Beer." By doing so, AB will almost certainly pick up some market share from drinkers who don't have celiac disease but just like the taste. This is a good development for celiacs everywhere but bad news for the small guys who have been laboring for years to come up with a commercial GF beer.

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Copper/amber coloured beer, small pure white head. sourish vinegar like aroma, reminds me of apple cider Again a weak apple cider flavour,but for some reason iits refreshing, well carbonated and slightly bitter after the sour. Nice enough mouthfeel. Not too bad at all..this is my second sorghum based brew and i like them well enough.

3.15/5  rDev +21.6%

A: Orange reddish color with a decent head of white foam. Medium level of carbonation. Minor traces of lacing inside the glass.

S: Smells like fresh earth with traces of wood and herbs. I like it. Quite a nice suprise.

T: Unorthodox flavors to say the least. A noteable hoppy flavor blended with mild soapy esters, with a woody and slightly citrus flavor toward the finish. Unique. Hard to call on this one, so for the benefit of the doubt, i'll say it's average.

M: Similar to a lager; thirst quenching, slightly slick with a noted touch of density. Not bad.

D: I personally don't know if i'd revisit this brew, but it's not a bad beer. Besides being gluten-free, what else is it? Does the lack of gluten result in fewer carbohydrate or calories or something? This is a beer of mysteries, wrapped inside an enigma, around a riddle. Different. Worth trying.

2.78/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: light copper, good clarity, bubbly light-tan froth that compacts to a thin layer of spittle

Aroma: caramel, herbal hop scent, dill pickles

Flavor: semisweet backbone with a soapy/fruity overtone; slight tartness like an apple; finishes semi-dry with a lingering acidity

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, bubbly carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: This is not a bad beer for a non-malt brew, but there's a reason malt is used in beer: it makes it taste good! I wouldn't drink this beer unless I had to for medical reasons, though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle Inspection: Brown 12 oz. twisty notes that it’s made from Sorghum and without wheat or barley (eat it Reinheitsgebot!). An indecipherable date code at the bottom left says “06335”. Guess they plan to leave this on the shelf a while.

Aroma: A sweet rooty spiciness. Elements of sweettarts candy, vodka, earth, and coriander, really different. A mild vegetal note, like celery.

Appearance: Bright amber glass struggles to hold a thin cover that fades to a thin collar, but does give up some lacing.

Flavor: Pretty much mirrors the nose with a harsh metallic note in the finish. Balance is toward the sweet with a very leafy hop element that I think adds the earthy element.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, and an almost airy feel.

Overall Impression: A different animal altogether. Have to give credit for being adventurous and aiming at those that have issues with gluten. If I had to go gluten free, I could see having some of these around. I may even have to try working some sorghum into a homebrew to isolate which flavor I’m getting here.
Worth a try.

1.5/5  rDev -42.1%

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

Got this in at the shop a couple of weeks ago and I figured that, in the interest of customer service, I needed to try it. Pours a deep golden color topped by a finger of creamy off-white head that is pretty quick to vanish. Very still, almost no carbonation in the body. Aroma is a bit sweet - I guess that's what sorghum smells like. Palate is mildly sweet up front, then develops a dry, rather harsh bitterness that doesn't seem to come from any hops. Mouthfeel is a little dry and chalky, kind of odd.
I suppose if misfortune were to befall me and I were unable to drink beer brewed with malt, this would be an acceptable approximation. More likely, though, I'd stick with whisky.

2.98/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Color was caramel amber. Just about ¾ inches of head. Light lacing on the top that dissipated very quickly. No film on the sides.

Smelled iron, cereal notes, grains and corn. It really wanted to be a red, but it lacked a lot to do it.

Couldn’t figure out the taste, but my sister-in-law described it as sorghum. It had a syrupy finish. Some berries were in there, too.

Medium body. Average carbonation. The syrupy feel really wore on me. Slick texture I’d say. Abrupt finish.

Not a bad beer, but I obviously wouldn’t seek it out at a bar.

3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

Im sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a bright clear copper hue with fizzy and frothy eggshell white head of 2 cm foaming up easily and fading to a pockmarked surface layer.

The aroma is dominated by floral hops, but allows for some general sweetness to poke through.

The first sip reveals a thin body with fine and fizzy carbonation.

Flavor is some sweet toffee flavors up front that roll to light fruitiness and finishes with some crisp grassy hops that linger with a fairly assertive bitterness.

The beer is very easy to drink and is interesting enough. The low ABV and crisp finish make it a nice beer for the summer.

I'd have to say this is a pretty decent beer, I wouldnt go out of the way for it, but would drink again for sure.

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

2.58/5  rDev -0.4%

Redbridge pours a light caramel color with a transparent body and an interesting nose that combines caramel and light molasses. There is virtually no head of foam on this beer and the small amount present disappears in less than one minute. The flavors I notice are that of light fruit, mostly apple; sugar, caramel; light cider; light hops; and light grain/bread. I'm not really a big fan of this, but I believe it was my first gluten free beer.

3.25/5  rDev +25.5%

The beer pours an amber color with a towering offwhite head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a very dry lager yeast scent with little "malt" or hop aroma; yes I know this is made with sorghum. The taste is decent. It has a smooth "amber lager" taste that goes down easy, but it finishes way too dry for my liking. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. I love the idea here, but the end result isn't very attractive. It's one and done for me.

1.25/5  rDev -51.7%

2.66/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer has the most bizarre odor. It smells like an empty grain silo. Flavor is actually not awful for a gluten-free beer, and is the best of the ones I've had. If I had a gluten allergy and I didn't succumb to a lack-of-beer-depression, I would drink this.

Appearance is a crystal clear light red. Head is present (a plus) although small and commercial looking. Flavor is faint and watery but lightly hoppy. Mouthfeel is slick and thin, like too warm public swimming pool water.

3.38/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear golden-amber hue with a thin head that dissipates instantly. Lacing is pretty nice.

Smell - It has a subtle sweetness and a little grainy.

Taste - It's quite sweet, but a strange sweetness I can't exactly describe. Has a strong metallic flavor to it too.. along with a corn-like flavor in the finish. It's probably the sorghum?

Mouthfeel - Light body with medium carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall - It's quite drinkable.. but for some reason I usually get heartburn from this beer.

3.82/5  rDev +47.5%

Picked this up out of curiosity about what sorghum beer might taste like. Didn't even think of the fact it might have been made for people for celiac disease until I saw people mention it here. Good to know they can have a beer too.

And, to be honest, it's not a half bad one. Smells a bit weird, sorta like someone brewed beer from a bowl of raisin bran, with quite a few more hops than I ever expected AB to put in a beer.

I actually rather like this stuff. Might give it another try later.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch