Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

2.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours amber in color with a creamy off white head that lasted a while leaving decent lacing.

Smells and tastes basically malty with some sweet malt, caramel and light floral hops, maybe some hay or corn but very faint. Pretty dull beer overall, which I assume is by design to create a Gluten Free product.

Light and crisp, this went down easy but just lacks any real flavor. It wasn't bad, just not something I would seek out again.

2.92/5  rDev +6.6%

Not very fond of gluten-free beers, but I guess this one was just okay.

2.92/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer poured a brillianttly clear copper color. I would expect nothing less from the scientists at AB. I failed to notice any aroma whatsover with the beer.
It is simply not there. Taste was okay, kinda fizzy, beer like. There are some hops int here somewhere. I can faintly pick up a bitterness. It's faint but there.
Extremely drinkable for a gluten free product. Richer "malt like" profile then any of the other GF beer sI have tried so far. It's certainly worth a try.

2.91/5  rDev +6.2%

The small head dies pretty quickly, although never totally disappearing. Color is a reddish-gold with good clarity.

Aroma is doughy with a light sweetness. Subtle, but almost too subtle...a really faint aroma.

Flavor is bready and sweet, and it's a peculiar sweetness too. Some caramel in the back, and only light hop presence. Flavor seems to have some holes in it, it's never fully "there". Finish is bitter/sour, rather candylike, and this is the most interesting aspect of this beer.

If you've got a gluten allergy, this would certainly do. But it's not exceptional, and there's little fullness to the flavors and no real depth. Drinkable for sure, not a drain pour, but not much happening otherwise.

2.88/5  rDev +5.1%

#26. This Redbridge is a Gluten-Free Sorghum Beer, likely for those who have reactions to Wheat or Barley or both. Never tried this before, and I can't exactly pinpoint what Sorghum tastes like... so I'm eager to try this to see what the fuss is all about.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Beer pours a light carbonated head that retains rather poorly. Beer is a deep gold hue and is completely clear. Aside from some medium carbonation and some light lacing, not much else is going on with the appearance. Barring the awful head retention, this beer doesn't look terrible. 3

(Smell) Beer has a light hoppy smell covered with a medium bitter scent that I assume to be Sorghum that takes a dominant lead over all other flavors. A touch sweet. It doesn't smell too far off from other macro beers, and beyond the flavors I afore mentioned, it isn't super interesting. It smells pretty average. 2.5

(Taste) Whew. This beer has bitter highs at first taste. I can only imagine that the taste comes from the Sorghum, but my criticism here is that there is little aftertaste or other flavors to pick out. It doesn't taste like it smells. The taste is very light and sweet and the Sorghum tastes slightly like it's bordering on granny smith apples. It tastes almost like an alcoholic cider. Not at all hard to drink, but certainly not very exciting in terms of beer. Yeast and hops are in here somewhere, I just can't find either of them in this drink. The taste simply dies out immediately after drinking without much of a finish. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Carbonation is light and gives this beer a good balance of smoothness and crispness. It is very light bodied and beyond the Sorghum/apple flavoring there isn't much else in here. The finish gives the most intense apple flavors of any beer I have had thus far. It is somewhat thin and watery. Average. 3

(Drinkability) I suppose for it's very simple and light taste this beer is highly drinkable. There aren't nearly as many options besides this if you can't have wheat or barley in your beverages but this beer isn't hard to drink. It isn't bad, either. It's just really bland. You could have thought that exempting gluten, there would be plenty of ingredient options that could pep up this beer. I'm not motivated to drink this any faster or slower than I am drinking it at now. I'm just left hoping for something more. 3.5

Verdict: I can't really come down too hard on this beer considering it has a limited ingredient list for a reason, but there is certainly room for improvement. The taste is super light, lighter than most beers I have ever tried. Blame it on the Sorghum, I suppose. I was hoping that there could be something else here; roasted, smoky flavors, some citrus zest, some chocolate... anything. But I feel like the beer is weak in flavor. For light beer drinkers or cider lovers, it's all you may ever need. Sorghum drinkers, enjoy. C (2.8)

2.88/5  rDev +5.1%

I was told by another customer at my local beer store that this beer "is kosher for Passover because it doesn't have any yeast in it." Well that's fun to know! Pours a clear light orange with a small white head. Aroma of dough and sickly sweet malt. Flavor is actually better than I expected. Some sweet fruits, honey, and doughy malt. Palate is thin but not terrible. Drinkable. Ok, I am still very glad that I'm not gluten-intolerant but this beer wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

2.87/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sweet and tangy nose, with creamy/vanilla aromas.

Golden light honey hue, good clarity, nice bubbly head with poor retention.

Bit of sweetness is quickly overcome with bitterness and metallic flavor. There's a little of that tangy citric tart flavor, and then a lot more metal. A few more sips and the metal subsides and it turns very dry on me. Maple syrup notes, especially in the finish. Body is medium to medium-thick and pretty smooth.

Well, it's okay - not that bad, not that good. If I was stuck to a gluten-free lifestyle, I'm sure I'd enjoy it and be thankful that it is so widely distributed.

2.86/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.85/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of tea, citrus, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with semi-sweet flavors of tea, caramel, spices and some citrus. Then there's a bitter bite that doesn't seem to come from the mild hops presence and there doesn't seem to have the best balance either. The after-taste is slightly bitter.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, there are definitely several other organic beers that I would pick before this one.

2.85/5  rDev +4%

Poured a bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a reddish, amber body with a small, white head with poor retention and no lacing of note.

S: Smells sweet with almost some hints of crab apples in some undertones. Smelled a little bit like apple juice.

T: A fairly sweet taste with an awkward bitter aftertaste that did not compliment the beer nicely. The aftertaste was kind of rooty; reminded me of a birch beer.

M: Seemed slightly overcarbonated and a little watery. Nothing to impressive.

D: OK drinkability, but nothing to write home about. The taste was decent, but the mouthfeel was average at best. Worth a try if you want to, but nothing I would highly recommend.

2.85/5  rDev +4%

I have never had a wheat and barley free beer so I decided to try it out for shits and giggles. Had it chilled in a pint glass. Poured a lucid yellow color that turns orange in the light and virtually no head. Smell is of lights hops and a slight sweetness, the sorghum? Taste is a little musky hoppy with some slight sweetness and a crisp fimish. I guess it would be ideal for anyone allergic to gluten. Poor bastards!

2.85/5  rDev +4%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass (style 2)

A - Pours a kind of goldish amber (about the color of very dehydrated urine) with perfect clarity. Hardly any carbonation rises to the 1-finger, off-white head. Head is just a thin ring of bubbles half way down the glass.

S - Sweet cereal grains and corn. Pretty much like bud.

T - Sweet cereal and corn upfront. The body has a sweet sort of stale corn taste that verges on unbearable as the beer warms. More corn grit as the beer passes over the back of the tongue to a sweet corn cereal finish. In a nutshell, similar to bud, but sweeter.

M - Slightly thicker than Bud light with minimal carbonation.

What Anheuser-Busch has done here is make a gluten-free version of Bud. While I do applaud their efforts for making a beer for this demographic (reflected in some slightly higher than deserved scores), one has to wonder: how much wheat and barely is there really in their other products?

With around one percent of the population afflicted with celiac disease, it would nice to see more brewers step up and brew gluten-free offerings.

2.85/5  rDev +4%

I'm still waiting for someone to make a sorghum based beer that has some sense of character. I know several people who enjoy beer, but then found out they were allergic to wheat and barley. I think those people deserve something that isn't so generic tasting. Redbridge is certainly drinkable, but I won't be going out of my way to try more.

A: An orangeish amber beer. Has a similar appearance to other sorghum beers I've tried. Fizzy head that dissipates quickly and leaves not lacing on the glass.

S: Slight hop smell with a hint of malty sweetness. Not bad, but has no complexity.

T: Sorghum will never taste like barley in my opinion. Still, this beer isn't bad. There is a slight citrus sweetness, with a hint of lemon. Hop bitterness is very subtle.

M: Fizzy mouthfeel. Feels over carbonated, even though there aren't many bubbles in the glass. Not much going on otherwise.

D: Drinkable enough. I'd be willing to drink it again if it were presented to me. I wouldn't buy it for myself, however.

2.84/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

2.83/5  rDev +3.3%

Trying one of Bud's disguised beers and gluenten free no less. 12oz bottle poured into a nonic pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Not completly terrible looking considering where this beer comes from. It pours a clear dark ambery brown with an off white two inch head that bubbles down after a bit into a ring. Minimal lacing.

S: Bread crusty with a bit of grassy and tiny fruit undertone. Sort of bland but not terrible especially considering there is no wheat gluten in this beer.

T/MF: Has a weird hoppy tinge but it tastes rather forced, as if it shouldnt be there. A bit bitter and bubbly on the tonge with a metalic finish. A bit of crunchy bready flavors which is weird considering there is no glueten in it, more grassy than anything though which makes sense with the sorguhm (however you spell that).

D: All I have to say is I am glad I'm not allergic to wheat gluten. But not a terrible offering from Bud, better tasting than the flagships but this is not one I would want to pay for again.

2.83/5  rDev +3.3%

Beer made from Sorghum for the barley impaired (Ciliac).

A: Pours a nice light clear amber/orange color.

S: Faint herbal aroma.

T: Some what grassy hop flavor and texture. Some herbal and grassiness with some citrus. Some fruitiness, cherries, and some spiciness in the finish. Decent malt palate considering how difficult it is to brew with sorghum.

M: somewhat thin and flavor ends quickly and rather cleanly. Definitely a different feel and texture then traditional wheat/barley beers but not as bad as many others have portrayed.

D: A good alternative for those who suffer from celiac though would not satisfy the big hearty beer enthusiasts (stout, porter, ipas). A malty textured ale at best but deserves some props even if it is AB.

2.83/5  rDev +3.3%

This brew pours a clear copper-amber color with a medium thick and fizzy off-white head that burns off quickly. Spotty lacing. Aroma of grain and bready malt. Light-bodied with a mildly bitter hops character, and flavors of sweet malt and caramel. The finish is short and lightly bitter. Below average and completely forgettable overall.

2.83/5  rDev +3.3%

Bright orange-amber, comfortably favoring the former. It doesn't look as though sorghum is as good for head formation and retention as barley or wheat. The cap is dingy ecru and looks to be of poor quality. It's soft and unsticky, with no more than a few scraps of froth finding their way to the glass. The color of the beer is the only thing keeping the apperance score where it is.

On a good note, the nose is mildly toasted grain-like with a whiff of hops. On a not so good note, it's barely detectable at all. I'm in danger of dipping the tip of my nose each time I try to assess it. If Redbridge doesn't have more going for it on the palate, this will be a long twelve ounces.

Two thoughts. First, it'll take some doing to get my mind and my palate around the uniqueness of this gluten-free offering. Second, while I appreciate and applaud A-B's efforts to provide for those people who can't otherwise drink beer, I think it's only fair to judge it as I would any other amber ale. Just because it's arguably the best gluten-free beer on the planet doesn't necessarily mean that it's good beer.

Redbridge is more sour than it is sweet or bitter. It tastes like the brewers have managed to tamp down the worst tendencies of a grain that isn't ideally suited for the brewing of beer. It's still obvious to me that something other than the usual ingredients have been used. If they could have coaxed a little more sweetness out of the grain, or a little more flavor out of the hops, this would be a more enjoyable experience.

The mouthfeel is lighter than it should be for the style, yet there's a strange finishing slickness that seems out of place. A few too many finely fizzy bubbles results in a mildly annoying buzziness that doesn't calm down much in the bottom half of the bottle.

The fact that Redbridge isn't great beer probably matters not one whit to those with Celiac Disease or similar afflictions. At least it's better beer than Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold (partly because this is an amber ale and Gold is an American macro lager). For those of us fortunate enough to have other options, I believe the drinkablity score is as above. For those who have no other choice, add two points.

2.82/5  rDev +2.9%

From 12 fl. oz. bottle sampled on March 1, 2011. The pour is a golden pale yellow with nice clarity and a short-lived white fizzy head. The aromas tend to be of flour and light yeast. The taste is missing something and seems like of bland although there is a thin hop ending.

2.82/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Golden in color with a slight amber hue, with a smaller, thin-looking white head that dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lace behind.

Smell: Citrus flavors dominate with a hint of flower.

Taste: Begins grassy with a slight lemon-like flavor, finishing with sweet/sour lemon flavors but a weak finish overall. Leaves a strange, herbal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light body with sharp carbonation and a watery finish.

Drinkability: This beer isn't anything to write home about at all- this is the second gluten-free beer I've had and I'm really glad that my body has no problems with glutens. This beer isn't bad, but not really worth anything, either.

2.82/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Let me start by stating that I sincerely applaud Anheuser Busch for making this beer. I realize that they aren't saints and the gluten-free market is growing, but turning a profit doesn't take away from providing a product that allows people to once again enjoy the simple pleasure of beer. My mom has Celiac disease and cutting gluten out of one's diet is just hugely limiting. Beyond obvious things like bread, pasta or beer, there's a laundry list of basic categories of food that contain gluten. Unfortunately, this disease is still largely undiagnosed. Unlike most of those stupid prescription drug ads, this is something you should actually ask your doctor about. There's a simple blood test and diet changes are a far sight better than cancer or other debilitating problems that could develop. So, I guess I might have a soft spot for everything gluten-free. Here goes with a relatively unbiased review.

Redbridge pours an okay head that dissipates very rapidly. The beer looks fairly light like most macrobrews. On the plus side, it's a nice amber color that I'd much rather drink than a normal American macro. It's not a horrible looking Amber but there's room for improvement.

The beer smells and tastes better than it looks. It has a sweet, somewhat malty smell that is a lot more beer-like than I was expecting. There could definitely be more strength here, but I enjoy what I detect.

The taste doesn't quite correspond to the smell and is definitely a bit odd for beer. It's a bit watery and mild. The taste is an interesting mix of sweet and sour. It could definitely use more hops, but I ultimately enjoy the unique flavor of the sorghum far more than I do corn or rice flavor in an adjunct macro.

The mouthfeel is more of a problem area. The carbonation is bit bracing for the flavor and is a bit overpowering upfront. On the other hand, I find it fairly drinkable. I feel like I'm splitting the difference between these two categories because while I dislike the carbonation's effect on the taste, it does make the beer go down pretty easy.

Having tried a number of gluten-free versions of normally gluten-containing products, I can sincerely say that Redbridge is fairly successful endeavor. Many small brand, expensive rice/amaranth/potato/arrowroot/whatever breads and pastas are far worse gluten-free versions of their products than this beer. While this beer gets a C compared to the richness of other beers, it's a great gluten-free product from a major brewer. Kudos to Anheuser-Busch.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A good gluten-free beer. A little tastier and more full-bodied than Bud Light.

2.81/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a bright amber with lighter highlights and little head. The aroma is definitely un-beer-like -- kind of vegetal, with a fake maple syrup kind of element and no hops I to speak of. On the palate, metallic sweetness with a bit of sulphur and a touch of watery sourness. Strange but not disgusting, which is a decent achievement for a gluten-free beer. Mouthfeel is nice, with a light body and good portion of carbonation. Some acidity that is out of place in the style. Overall, this is only an average beer (at best), but for a gluten free offering it isn't bad.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75