Redbridge | Anheuser-Busch

RedbridgeRedbridge

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Reviews: 211 | Ratings: 488
3.6/5  rDev +31.4%

I poured this beer from the bottle to a 50 degree tumbler. The beer was a gold organge color. It had lots of bubbles stuck to the glass and a frothy head that decayed rather fast. Taste was a little sweet but not too bad. We thought the beer was very drinkable. I will buy again.

3.15/5  rDev +15%

A: Orange reddish color with a decent head of white foam. Medium level of carbonation. Minor traces of lacing inside the glass.

S: Smells like fresh earth with traces of wood and herbs. I like it. Quite a nice suprise.

T: Unorthodox flavors to say the least. A noteable hoppy flavor blended with mild soapy esters, with a woody and slightly citrus flavor toward the finish. Unique. Hard to call on this one, so for the benefit of the doubt, i'll say it's average.

M: Similar to a lager; thirst quenching, slightly slick with a noted touch of density. Not bad.

D: I personally don't know if i'd revisit this brew, but it's not a bad beer. Besides being gluten-free, what else is it? Does the lack of gluten result in fewer carbohydrate or calories or something? This is a beer of mysteries, wrapped inside an enigma, around a riddle. Different. Worth trying.

2.73/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured a coppery-red. Nominal head. Vague aroma hinting at caramel and apple cider. Mouthfeel was thin and a bit watery. Caramel malt flavor that called to mind an ale made with canned malt and a Mr. Beer kit. A bit of apple-ish flavor in the background. Finish was clean to the point of being flavorless. While all of this sounds bad, overall, the beer was acceptable, just not good.

2.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle at the Mundelein beer tasting. Pours amber with a sizable head and pretty strong carbonation.

The aroma is light malts and general "beer" smell. Tastes like it smells with a drop of bitterness on the finish. The finish is clean, and the mouthfeel is light, as I would expect for a red lager.

Pretty much a standard lager-- I guess I was expecting a sorghum beer to be weirder than this is.

3.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Redbridge
12 oz brown bottle
#06346 MR50
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a transparent amber brown with a minimal head on top. Little spots of sticky lace cling to the glassware.

The nose is rather non existent with some sour notes in the background.

Taste is clean and somewhat neutral with some fruity notes, possibly pear. A touch of sweet & sour resonates. The mouthfeel is similiar to a mildly carbonated glass of seltzer water. This beer is somehwhat refreshing and unique. Probably not a beer that I would look for again, but a decent alternative.

2.3/5  rDev -16.1%

I had not seen this beer before, figured I'd try it. Pours a clear amber color with some head. Smells kind of sweet with some earth tones. Taste... hmm.. A bottle beer that tastes like a rusty tin can? It tastes & feels flat as well, maybe the store shook it up or left it in the sun for too long. By the end of the glass it wasn't quite as offensive, I picked up some cereal grain tastes, but definitely not enjoyable. I won't be having another, too bad I purchased a six pack. I'm very shocked at the high #'s for this beer unless my beer is just a fluke and maybe it was left out too long in the sun or something.

2.76/5  rDev +0.7%

12 ounce bottle.

Pours a bright clear medium amber. Moderate head, minimal lacing. Heads dissipates rapidly.

Smells like beer, an accomplishment for fluten free brewing. A little bready, a little hoppy-earthy.

Thin, clean, uninteresting, unimpressive. Finishes with a nice earthy hoppy spiciness, but that's about the only good thing about the clean, boring, thin taste.

Mouth is sort of tingly, a little warm/spicy, but only average interesting.

Having had just about every other gluten free beer on the market, and many AB 'specialty' products, this is a deeply mediocre offering. From a company that could, if it gave half of a shit about quality, turn out truly great products, it's horribly disappointing. From a company that is continuously trying to reacquire market share, it's horribly predictable.

The fact that it tastes essentially like Bud is impressive, but also sad.

This beer, on balance, is sad.

3.53/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This makes a nice clear amber pour with a moderate head of foamy froth, accompanied by decent lacing. Sweet, grainy aroma with a light touch of hops. Moderately sweet grainy taste as well, with a decent amount of bitterness. There is an odd aftertaste, which I guess might be the sorghum. It isn't unpleasant... just odd. Medium body with a neutral texture.

Not that bad a beer. It'd easily pass as a generic red/amber beer at many microbreweries. For people with celiac syndrome, an easily available, nationwide brew must be a great thing.

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

The beer pours an amber color with a towering offwhite head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a very dry lager yeast scent with little "malt" or hop aroma; yes I know this is made with sorghum. The taste is decent. It has a smooth "amber lager" taste that goes down easy, but it finishes way too dry for my liking. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. I love the idea here, but the end result isn't very attractive. It's one and done for me.

3.72/5  rDev +35.8%

Pale amber in color, thin wispy foam which has decent retention. Very clear with plenty of carbonation. The aroma has a nice balance of sweet caramel malt and a decent leafy hoppiness, clean and inviting.

The taste is not overwhelming, just a simple dose of toasty malt and clean hops leaving a slight bitterness to round thngs out. Light body but definitely not thin or watery.

I certainly had low expections for this beer, so it suprised me when I actually thought it wasn't bad. There is enough flavor here to keep it interesting and everything is well balanced. If you were curious to try a gluten-free beer this one is readily available and not bad at all...

2.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a three finger white head that vanishes leaving no lace. Crystal clear amber color. Strong carbonation and medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Flavor has a hop sharpness, sweetness in background. Drying soapy aftertaste. Glad I bought only one bottle. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

2.91/5  rDev +6.2%

The small head dies pretty quickly, although never totally disappearing. Color is a reddish-gold with good clarity.

Aroma is doughy with a light sweetness. Subtle, but almost too subtle...a really faint aroma.

Flavor is bready and sweet, and it's a peculiar sweetness too. Some caramel in the back, and only light hop presence. Flavor seems to have some holes in it, it's never fully "there". Finish is bitter/sour, rather candylike, and this is the most interesting aspect of this beer.

If you've got a gluten allergy, this would certainly do. But it's not exceptional, and there's little fullness to the flavors and no real depth. Drinkable for sure, not a drain pour, but not much happening otherwise.

3.28/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a light copper-amber color with a thick, foamy head. Smell is slightly sweet, a slight amber presence with a bit of earthy hops. Tastes like an average red, decently bittered... not bad. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a foamy carbonation. This is a decently drinkable beer, I was surprised to find that it wasn't too bad. I would buy this over Bud, which isn't saying much but it is a step up. I can't imagine not being able to drink the wide variety of beers available because although not bad, this beer is no substitute.

2.04/5  rDev -25.5%

Little to no head atop this amber-hued, listless body. Hmmm, not a good start.

Slightly sugary scent with mildly bitter aromatics. Smells like a decent amber although I still am waiting for the bottom to drop out with a gluten-free beer...

...and it does. Bitter in all the wrong ways as if it weren't so much a product of hopping but of something gone awry. Musty and artificially sweet at once, not a pretty site.

Mouthfeel is actually the worst part of this beer. It manages to be sticky-feeling without being viscous, mouth-puckering without being hoppy. Very poor in this area.

Not enjoyable at all for me although it is hard for me to hate this beer outright as A-B is trying to give an alternative to those who must/desire to mainatin a gluten-free diet. For that I commend them although I for one consider myself fortunate to have no such restrictions upon my diet after trying this.

3.11/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: Sharply clear reddish golden color, with a moderate off-white head, thick scattered lacing, and slight slow-rising carbonation.

Aroma: Herbal hops dominate the aroma, with slight toasted grain beneath. The hop presence is not really that pronounced, rather, the aroma offers little else.

Taste: Sharp hops at the open, remarkably so for an Anheuser-Busch product. Moderate caramel-like sweetness follows, the taste then draws to a close with a wave of rather aggressive hops, with both metallic and pine tar flavors lingering well past the close.

Mouth feel: Smooth and fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Rather unremarkable, although for those with Celiac disease, this is one of a very few options, but is, at best, mediocre.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

3.13/5  rDev +14.2%

2nd "Sorghum" beer I've tried. Poured a light amber, with very little bubbles and a good lace, smelled faintly like a can, a little alcohol, not much else, other than a note of soap suds? Okay. Mouth was very watery but there was a bitterness and a a little thickness to this, not bad. Taste, well, I'll be. it's pretty good. It's along the lines of Yuengling, some hops bite and and a decent profile for the alcohol, a small bit of metallic and a strong toasty malt flavor.

Very good AB. I'd say this is better than most your stuff, refreshing. Not something I'd get again, but I respect this for what it is.

3.18/5  rDev +16.1%

A - deep golden-orange, just shy of amber. Perfectly clear with a thin head that leaves no lace, despite the strong carbonation observed adhering to the sides of the glass.

S - slight maple syrup, soft floral note. Neither is very strong.

T - mildly medicinal initial taste followed by a broad bitterness that balances nicely with the maple sweetness. Warm alcohol heat finishes the drink.

M - Not a lot of body, quite fizzy.

D - I might cross the street for one of these beers, but it would depend on the number of lanes.

3.55/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I only paid $7.95 for a six-pack of this at my local North Coast Coop here in Eureka, CA. IF you need gluten-free beer this seems like a good price for something so specialized. It poured a clear amber with a nice white head that left almost no lacing. Nose of malts and hops. Mouthfeel is somewhat rich and finish is dry. For an AB product this is actually pretty decent.

3.82/5  rDev +39.4%

Picked this up out of curiosity about what sorghum beer might taste like. Didn't even think of the fact it might have been made for people for celiac disease until I saw people mention it here. Good to know they can have a beer too.

And, to be honest, it's not a half bad one. Smells a bit weird, sorta like someone brewed beer from a bowl of raisin bran, with quite a few more hops than I ever expected AB to put in a beer.

I actually rather like this stuff. Might give it another try later.

1.98/5  rDev -27.7%

I know this gluten-free and thus one of the only beers available for a myriad of people with certain medical conditions, in which gluten is a no no.

With that being said, I applaud A-B for making this beer. Reaching out to an otherwise beerless people.

However, it tastes bad. It reminds me of children's medicine. The sweetness seems really articfical.

Almost like a facade of beer. A shadow of beer. It is hard to drink, and that is my honest opinion.

2.83/5  rDev +3.3%

Bright orange-amber, comfortably favoring the former. It doesn't look as though sorghum is as good for head formation and retention as barley or wheat. The cap is dingy ecru and looks to be of poor quality. It's soft and unsticky, with no more than a few scraps of froth finding their way to the glass. The color of the beer is the only thing keeping the apperance score where it is.

On a good note, the nose is mildly toasted grain-like with a whiff of hops. On a not so good note, it's barely detectable at all. I'm in danger of dipping the tip of my nose each time I try to assess it. If Redbridge doesn't have more going for it on the palate, this will be a long twelve ounces.

Two thoughts. First, it'll take some doing to get my mind and my palate around the uniqueness of this gluten-free offering. Second, while I appreciate and applaud A-B's efforts to provide for those people who can't otherwise drink beer, I think it's only fair to judge it as I would any other amber ale. Just because it's arguably the best gluten-free beer on the planet doesn't necessarily mean that it's good beer.

Redbridge is more sour than it is sweet or bitter. It tastes like the brewers have managed to tamp down the worst tendencies of a grain that isn't ideally suited for the brewing of beer. It's still obvious to me that something other than the usual ingredients have been used. If they could have coaxed a little more sweetness out of the grain, or a little more flavor out of the hops, this would be a more enjoyable experience.

The mouthfeel is lighter than it should be for the style, yet there's a strange finishing slickness that seems out of place. A few too many finely fizzy bubbles results in a mildly annoying buzziness that doesn't calm down much in the bottom half of the bottle.

The fact that Redbridge isn't great beer probably matters not one whit to those with Celiac Disease or similar afflictions. At least it's better beer than Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold (partly because this is an amber ale and Gold is an American macro lager). For those of us fortunate enough to have other options, I believe the drinkablity score is as above. For those who have no other choice, add two points.

3.37/5  rDev +23%

This is my first Gluten free beer, found it at Wal-Mart. Rather costly at over $7.00 a six-pack, but I had to try it.

There is a nice golden, slightly amber hued, color to the beer placing it in the catchall category of American Amber/Red Lager. The head is white and frothy with moderate stability, as it never disappears. However, there is not the lacing I expected from the quality of hops used. The beer is rather carbonated, even for a lager.

The nose is very nice the premium hops used really take over. The imported Hallertau and domestic Cascade hops combine to give a great rounded hop profile. First the Nobel floral Hallertau and then oily, dank piney Cascades fill the nose. There is only a very slight malt character barely detectable, but it is nice.

The taste is likewise very hoppy. But again there is a slight maltiness, which this time balances and accents nicely. The taste starts bright floral, the HallertauÂ’s, then the maltiness balances and cuts the flavor for a moment before the bitter Cascades dominate and linger for the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is good and matches the style and taste well. It is slightly thick but finishes a tad dry.

Drinkability is average; the hoppiness may be too much after a few. I imagine the high quality hops were used to add flavor, as the sorghum seems to impart little taste. I wonder if the sorghum is roasted at all?

I think this is a great beer, I think they have done a great job of making a beer for those with gluten allergies. I am not sure I would buy it again, but that is due to the price.

2.74/5  rDev 0%

This Beer is unique especially to me since it is the first gluten free beer I have ever had. I image though that even though it is made with out wheat or barley it should have more flavor than it does. I will give it some credit being an Anheuser Bush beer I can't expect a whole heck of a lot. Now to the break down. The beer has a surprisingly deep amber color with a bit of a head to it, which doesn't hold very well at all. Has very little smell to it at all. like I mentioned before it has little taste, I would describe it as watery. Mouthfeel is it's strong point, as with most Anheuser Bush beers it is refreshing like a soda. Drinkability is poor for me since I found it bland and boring I will not drink more than the one I bought.

3.6/5  rDev +31.4%

The aroma is light and mildly sweet with a faint perfumed soap aroma. Those good soaps that are just for show mind you, not the ones you wash your butt with. It actually smells of in a non-beer kind of way. The body is a light amber/copper color with a diminishing white head that starts a thumb thick, fades, but then holds. As pale lagers go it looks pretty inviting.

That perfumey sweetness is there in the fore. It tastes a little like patchouli and potpourri mix. Yes, I have tasted both. It finishes with a sort of apple and flower finish. Has a moderately biting carbonation and detectable hops. This is not a bad beer at all. I actually think this puppy would sell well if marketed as a ladies (or guys) who hate beer. That being said....itÂ’s good for what it is. My raped taste buds are screaming for more.

3.26/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I cant imagine having celiac disease and not being able to consume things with gluten. its amazing what all we eat that contains it. That being said I was eager to try this beer. I think I have read that sorghum beers are big in rural parts of Africa.

Decent color and carbonation level. Somewhat of a slight coppery golden color. Aroma is just there-to me a BUD has more aroma then this. Doesnt even really say "beer". Flavor is a tad sweet-almost malty. It is sweet like unfermented wort. Very slight trace of hops to it. Mouthfeel is decent enough. As I reach the bottom of the glass the whole package is quite enjoyable. While I dont think I would buy this again, AB has done an admirable job in producing something quite drinkable.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch